9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 3rd, 2020 at 11:33:17 AM permalink
Both hot wings and beef on a wreck seem to have started in the Buffalo area. While it is part of New York, Buffalo is actually further away from NYC than Richmond Virginia, and its regional foods have only recently penetrated the Metro area.
Beef on a wreck in Buffalo is special because of the type of roll it uses. I'm not sure if the exact recipe is followed elsewhere, but those rolls are pretty elusive.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
December 3rd, 2020 at 11:46:15 AM permalink
A Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant opened in Gainesville FL when I was a student at UF. Back then, the name was "Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck" or BW3 for short. I guess they got tired of people asking, "What's a weck?" and dropped it from their name.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 3rd, 2020 at 12:59:56 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Both hot wings and beef on a wreck seem to have started in the Buffalo area. While it is part of New York, Buffalo is actually further away from NYC than Richmond Virginia, and its regional foods have only recently penetrated the Metro area.
Beef on a wreck in Buffalo is special because of the type of roll it uses. I'm not sure if the exact recipe is followed elsewhere, but those rolls are pretty elusive.

Way, way back there was a game in Buffalo that John Madden was announcing. He tried doing local color and called it "Beef on Wikki." The Buffalo people watching were not amused. We still mention it to annoy them.

NYC people think Buffalo is some sort of different state or something. It is hard to explain how close they are to being correct. When I had to deal with the government it was night and day to how they treated our downstate branches.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
December 3rd, 2020 at 1:39:17 PM permalink
In NYC, distance is measured in blocks. Buffalo is almost 400 miles away, especially if one takes the thruway. Many city residents, and those from Long Island go to school in western NY and that's about all they know of it. Or they went to Niagara Falls as a kid.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 3rd, 2020 at 2:09:13 PM permalink
Watching "Lock it In" and it appears the Football Team was getting 11.5 earlier today now down to 8-9. I like 11.5, not so sure at 8.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 3rd, 2020 at 2:22:42 PM permalink
If your team name is “Foptball Team” and you’re located in the capital you become America’s team by default right?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
December 3rd, 2020 at 2:37:41 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

If your team name is “Foptball Team” and you’re located in the capital you become America’s team by default right?

I live in the DC metro area and the hatred of Dan Snyder the owner of the team is very strong
all of the seasons since he bought the team have either been disasters or mediocre ones - and this is a team that has a very strong tradition and winning history
he hasn't appeared on camera for an interview in a great many years - he doesn't want to answer the tough questions
a lot of people call the team's situation "The Dan Snyder Curse."

what's also really interesting in New York is the way the State Government in Albany tries to control NYC and the way the Mayor of NYC and others resist that control
Albany is a small but very powerful city of 98,000 - there is never a traffic jam in Albany - with all that Government power there they built all these superhighways that are often close to empty -

Washington Redskins, have won two NFL championships (1937 and 1942 and three Super Bowls (1983, 1988, and 1992).
they also lost 2 Super Bowls in 1973 and 1984
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 3rd, 2020 at 4:45:42 PM permalink

When the Football Team was the Redskins back in the 50s the were actually considered a "southern" team and were the team the south logically rooted for. Very hard to believe today but "fight for old Dixie" was in the fight song. There were no other teams in the south.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 3rd, 2020 at 5:43:35 PM permalink
I wish the NFC was deeper this year so that both Tom Brady and the Patriots would miss the playoffs. Unfortunately 9-7 will probably easily do it for the wild card in the NFC this year, even with 7 teams doesn’t look like it will in AFC.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 4th, 2020 at 5:48:29 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

When the Football Team was the Redskins back in the 50s the were actually considered a "southern" team

very true. DC was a very charming city in the 50s and 60s - at least the northwest sector
then later the beltway bandits and other international and national business interests turned DC into a cosmopolitan city
it's now nothing like it was - and to me, it has lost its' appeal - I was born in DC and now live in its' suburbs - but I never go there anymore
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 4th, 2020 at 4:38:35 PM permalink
oops I just made a foolish post about a game that I thought was live .... I mean it *was* thursday night football but the game had already been played and I hadn't seen it i guess, still trying to figure it out.

This covid business is really disrupting things.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 4th, 2020 at 4:51:13 PM permalink
so I see there was no Thursday Night Football

I thought I had found a game, even though i was wondering why the chiefs were playing the buccs again.

Embarrassing.

week 14 is supposed to have Thursday Night Football. Meanwhile we might have Tuesday Night Football unless covid strikes again. Ignore any posts from me, I'd say.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2020 at 4:56:24 AM permalink
looking forward to watching the Eagles/Packers today
watching Carson Wentz implode has become highly entertaining to me.............................(-:\
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2020 at 10:32:14 AM permalink
I'm watching the Titans game - the stands look about one fourth full
in some places fans are packed together closely
there looks to be some fans wearing masks but not nearly all - it looks like the camera is deliberately avoiding panning the fans in the stands
Covid is surging in Tennessee and the National Guard is being called in to help the hospitals
.......................pathetic

edit: I could be wrong - I can't see the stands clearly - but that is my best judgment

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 6th, 2020 at 12:21:49 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I'm watching the Titans game - the stands look about one fourth full
in some places fans are packed together closely
there looks to be some fans wearing masks but not nearly all - it looks like the camera is deliberately avoiding panning the fans in the stands
Covid is surging in Tennessee and the National Guard is being called in to help the hospitals
.......................pathetic

edit: I could be wrong - I can't see the stands clearly - but that is my best judgment

If you feel good enough to go to a game you are probably not sick in the first place.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 6th, 2020 at 12:42:37 PM permalink

If you feel good enough to go to a game you are probably not sick in the first place.

I would disagree with that as there are many people with Covid that are asymptomatic.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2020 at 12:43:14 PM permalink

I guess you don't feel that way, but to me - probably is not enough - not when serious illness or death is a possibility
about 15% are testing positive in Tennessee right now - if there are 5,000 fans without masks about 750 are probably positive and can spread it
CDC reports today that Tennessee has 397,522 cases
assuming a 1% mortality rate - that's about 4,000 likely to die
not wearing a mask indicates not only that you don't give an eff about yourself, but you don't give a eff about others
considering the stakes, to me, it's a small demand to fulfill - for those that want to claim their freedom is being taken away - well, that sometimes happens during wars and during other disasters - those with that attitude get no sympathy from me - they don't care about me and others - and I don't care about their twisted ideas about what freedom is and what it means - I would like for those that break rules to be punished to some extent - I'm not in the least worried about Government being too powerful

right now or in the future or in the past - I live near DC - I can go right down by the White House and start screaming that any politician or POTUS I don't like is a jerk - many do this -and nobody will stop me - I've got plenty of freedom

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 6, 2020
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 6th, 2020 at 1:16:23 PM permalink
Their stadium is outdoors? so kinda meh if so, I haven’t seen any superspreader events tied to outdoors transmission unless I missed it. Would still prefer they wear them and probably indicative of other poor behaviors but probably much ado about diddly in and of itself.

I saw the other day/week a photo of Texas A+M’s band, they had these large holes cut in their mask to fit the instruments through instead of taking them off while playing, making them utterly pointless....same thing that make ya laugh make ya cry.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 6th, 2020 at 1:20:39 PM permalink
So I was just about to post how astonishing it was that the Raiders handed the Chiefs their only loss and the Jets their only win, when the Raiders pulled it out with a 46 yard bomb with 5 seconds left.

Instead, I will say "how horrible are the Jets?" Horrible coaching. How do you let a guy get deep on you with 5 seconds left? And even more so on the play right before the other receiver Nelson Agholor also got behind the Jets defenders, but Carr over throw him.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 6th, 2020 at 1:21:17 PM permalink

Their stadium is outdoors, so kinda meh, I haven’t seen any superspreader events tied to outdoors transmission unless I missed it.

yeah, you missed it

from the article:

"more than 266,000 cases attributed to the 10 day event"

https://www.foxnews.com/health/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-coronavirus-cases-south-dakota
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 6th, 2020 at 1:26:15 PM permalink
Yeah I’d have to think all the time spent inside bars and other indoor party stuff there was a larger factor, those stories were written before sturgis ever happened ready to drop just had to add the numbers to it. Like I said, the maskless in those circumstances likely an indicator for other behaviors. But no spread from protests lol. Only three more months till we get more super lazy “articles” and “reporting” with pictures of kids on beaches and copied tweets as the entire text of the article as evidence.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 6th, 2020 at 1:34:08 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

So I was just about to post how astonishing it was that the Raiders handed the Chiefs their only loss and the Jets their only win, when the Raiders pulled it out with a 46 yard bomb with 5 seconds left.

Instead, I will say "how horrible are the Jets?" Horrible coaching. How do you let a guy get deep on you with 5 seconds left? And even more so on the play right before the other receiver Nelson Agholor also got behind the Jets defenders, but Carr over throw him.

GM buzzed down to let them score we need the #1 draft pick?
billryan
billryan
December 6th, 2020 at 4:14:08 PM permalink
Big Blue, with their backup QB, takes down Seattle in Seattle.

Who wants to see the undefeated Steelers vs Big Blue in Tampa?
DRich
DRich
December 6th, 2020 at 4:43:18 PM permalink

I think the Big Blue in Ann Arbor might beat NY Big Blue.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 6th, 2020 at 7:09:37 PM permalink
Gotta give them a little credit Giants still have a shot to finish .500 after starting 1-7. 3 of 4 games left at home and only one team better than 6-5 remaining. Beating Football Team twice a huge advantage.
kewlj
kewlj
December 6th, 2020 at 10:48:35 PM permalink

Forget Tampa, I am thinking about betting against the Giants to win the division.

Current standings: Giants are 5-7, Washington 4-7, Eagles 3-8-1 and Cowboys 3-8. Cowboys and Washington obviously have games tomorrow and we will see how that goes. I expect both to lose.

So current odds to win the Divison: Giants are odds on at -300, Washington and Dallas Betwen +250 and +300 and the eagles at +900.

In looking at the schedules despite the giants 4 wins in a row (3 against bad teams), I am not sure they get a 6th win. Cardinals, Browns Ravens could all be losses. The best hope for a 6th win is Dallas.

Washington has Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks, Panthers Eagles. They need to win 2 to get to 6 wins.

Dallas: needs 3 wins to get to 6 wins, even unlikelier, based on the way they are playing.

So I am not sure anyone gets to 6 wins. Giants have the best shot if they beat Dallas in the final game.

ANd if no one gets to 6 wins, I like the Eagles. At 5 wins the Eagles 5-10-1, beats out all other teams that are 5-11. And I think the Eagles have 2 more wins in them with games against Washington and Dallas. I am going to take a serious look at 9 or 10 to 1. The key is 5 wins not 6. If someone (giants) get to 6 wins, they will win the division. I am just not so sure that is an odds on favorite to happen.
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2020 at 12:12:40 AM permalink
So you are pretty much betting the Giants will lose out, going 0-4. What odds are you willing to give on a small friendly wager?
kewlj
kewlj
December 7th, 2020 at 12:19:41 AM permalink

So you are pretty much betting the Giants will lose out, going 0-4. What odds are you willing to give on a small friendly wager?

Not going to give you odds on that because that would likely come down to the same key game as the bet I intend to make and I would rather have Eagles at +900 or +1000 than giving odds.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 7th, 2020 at 12:36:38 AM permalink
Wentz was finally benched -
all the fun of watching those birds is now gone............................................(-:\
well, he did entertain me for quite a while - the question always being - what's he going to do next?
yesterday, before being benched in the 3rd quarter he managed to put 3 points on the board - he got sacked 4 times

the Broncos only got beat by the Chiefs by 6 points in KC - the spread was 13.5 - a lot of people got fooled by that one

the Jets, still winless, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by giving up a long pass TD in the final seconds

DC media is buzzing with worries that Alex Smith, who has a rebuilt leg, might go down hard to the Steelers fearsome pass rush today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz-7zxWXv8g
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 7, 2020
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 7th, 2020 at 2:45:45 AM permalink

I guess you don't feel that way, but to me - probably is not enough - not when serious illness or death is a possibility
about 15% are testing positive in Tennessee right now - if there are 5,000 fans without masks about 750 are probably positive and can spread it
CDC reports today that Tennessee has 397,522 cases
assuming a 1% mortality rate - that's about 4,000 likely to die
not wearing a mask indicates not only that you don't give an eff about yourself, but you don't give a eff about others
considering the stakes, to me, it's a small demand to fulfill - for those that want to claim their freedom is being taken away - well, that sometimes happens during wars and during other disasters - those with that attitude get no sympathy from me - they don't care about me and others - and I don't care about their twisted ideas about what freedom is and what it means - I would like for those that break rules to be punished to some extent - I'm not in the least worried about Government being too powerful

Well, I would then add to what I said.

If you feel good enough to go to a game you are probably not sick in the first place. Those afraid are free to stay home!

Seriously, who wants to go to a ball game and wear a mask the whole time? You are spread out, sitting with just your group, in the first place. Unless we are talking cold weather, nobody wants to do that.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 7th, 2020 at 5:09:22 AM permalink

Well, I would then add to what I said.

If you feel good enough to go to a game you are probably not sick in the first place. Those afraid are free to stay home!

Seriously, who wants to go to a ball game and wear a mask the whole time? You are spread out, sitting with just your group, in the first place. Unless we are talking cold weather, nobody wants to do that.

I didn't read it
you don't care if people around me don't wear a mask and I get infected
so I don't care what you have to say - I don't read it unless its about football
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 7th, 2020 at 6:20:28 AM permalink

I didn't read it
you don't care if people around me don't wear a mask and I get infected
so I don't care what you have to say - I don't read it unless its about football

You didn't read it yet you quoted if?

If you are wearing a mask then you are OK from what you are posting.

Like I said many times, you are free to stay home. Let those of us who want to live our lives live our lives. And for many football is part of their life.
DRich
DRich
December 7th, 2020 at 7:30:03 AM permalink
The Pittsburg Steelers with a record of 11-0 have not clinched a playoff spot yet the Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, and Washington are guaranteed one and the most they have is five wins.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 7th, 2020 at 8:31:24 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

The Pittsburg Steelers with a record of 11-0 have not clinched a playoff spot yet the Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, and Washington are guaranteed one and the most they have is five wins.

They are not all guaranteed one, ONE of them will get one.

The Steelers could end up 16-0 and eliminated in their first playoff game.

I took the points on the Football Team today.

HAIL TO THE FOOTBALL TEAM, HAIL VICTORY........
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 7th, 2020 at 9:26:56 AM permalink

GM buzzed down to let them score we need the #1 draft pick?

According to ESPN, the end of the Jets/Raiders game was the only time in the past 15 seasons in a sample of 252 where the defense sent 6+ pass rushers with a lead of 4-8 points, less than 15 seconds left, and the opponent having 40+ yards to go.
kewlj
kewlj
December 7th, 2020 at 10:06:44 AM permalink

According to ESPN, the end of the Jets/Raiders game was the only time in the past 15 seasons in a sample of 252 where the defense sent 6+ pass rushers with a lead of 4-8 points, less than 15 seconds left, and the opponent having 40+ yards to go.

It wasn't just that the jets choose to go after the QB rather than play a prevent with 8 guys back covering, but the guys that were covering receivers were right up close to the line covering them, instead of back 20 yards. The defenders covering receivers should not allow a receiver to get past them and they did on two plays in a row, the first one an over thrown.

You back up to the goal line if you have to, just keep the receiver in front of you. Let him catch a pas 20-25 yard down field. You don't let him get behind you when they have to score a TD on that play.
kewlj
kewlj
December 7th, 2020 at 10:25:15 AM permalink
So, just reading the news that the Jets have fired the defensive coordinator. No surprise.

Sorry McAllister3200, but that sort of pokes a hole in your theory that the call came from above. If it has the defensive coordinator would have surely said that.
kewlj
kewlj
December 7th, 2020 at 10:29:05 AM permalink
Also just reading that Giants QB Daniel Jones may play this week. I guess I mistakenly though he was done for the year. That may change things as far as the division wager I am thinking of making. I'll have to think about it some more. With Jones, the Giants are more likely to get to 6 wins and 6 wins would win the Division. The Eagles only chance is if everyone has 5 wins, then that tie the Eagles have puts them over the top.
DRich
DRich
December 7th, 2020 at 1:20:14 PM permalink

They are not all guaranteed one, ONE of them will get one.

The Steelers could end up 16-0 and eliminated in their first playoff game.

I took the points on the Football Team today.

HAIL TO THE FOOTBALL TEAM, HAIL VICTORY........

Yes, that is what i meant to imply. One of those teams is guaranteed a spot yet they have less than 5 wins.
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2020 at 1:43:33 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yes, that is what i meant to imply. One of those teams is guaranteed a spot yet they have less than 5 wins.

Life is so unfair.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 7th, 2020 at 2:01:52 PM permalink

Life is so unfair.

that statement makes me think of all the really great basketball players I saw back in the day whose careers were over at age 21
they weren't going to make it to the NBA - the NBA was Supermen - and back then there wasn't much of an overseas option as there is now
their careers ended and they were so young - but they were truly great - nonetheless
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 7, 2020
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2020 at 2:10:22 PM permalink
Thirty years ago, I had a bumper sticker that said raising your children to be a Jet fan is Child Abuse. It was true then, it is true now.
DRich
DRich
December 7th, 2020 at 2:44:11 PM permalink

Thirty years ago, I had a bumper sticker that said raising your children to be a Jet fan is Child Abuse. It was true then, it is true now.

I like that.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 7th, 2020 at 2:48:26 PM permalink

50 years ago was living in Baltimore and could not believe the NFL Colts lost to the AFL Jets
I had a friend that was scared to go home. His father had a lot of money riding on the Colts
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2020 at 3:02:51 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

50 years ago was living in Baltimore and could not believe the NFL Colts lost to the AFL Jets
I had a friend that was scared to go home. His father had a lot of money riding on the Colts

I've heard more than a few Colts had a lot of money riding on the Jets.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 7th, 2020 at 4:13:13 PM permalink

I've heard more than a few Colts had a lot of money riding on the Jets.

Really
It was a devastating loss. Back then the AFL was looked upon as a junior league.
It was a tough time for Baltimore. Orioles lost to the amazing Mets around that time
Both teams got their glory, Johnny Unitas beating the Cowboys in the Super Bowl and the O's beating the Big Red machine
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
kewlj
kewlj
December 7th, 2020 at 5:40:52 PM permalink
So the 1972 Miami Dolphins perfect season is safe as the Steelers lose to Washington football team. For me, it ends any thought I was considering of playing a bet on Eagles to win division, so probably saved me a couple hundred bucks.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 7th, 2020 at 7:25:44 PM permalink
(America’s) Football Team! Alex Smith has got comeback player of the year locked up. Might not have to restructure his contract in the offseason and likely starter next year. Incredible. He might be the only quarterback in the nfl that loves the short pass even more than Drew Brees though, can see how KC was intrigued by Mahomes big arm having Smith as current QB.
DRich
DRich
December 7th, 2020 at 7:29:24 PM permalink

(America’s) Football Team! Alex Smith has got comeback player of the year locked up. Might not have to restructure his contract in the offseason and likely starter next year. Incredible. He might be the only quarterback in the nfl that loves the short pass even more than Drew Brees though, can see how KC was intrigued by Mahomes big arm having Smith as current QB.

It is definitely an incredible comeback story. The guy was a star at Utah, at San Fran, at Kansas City, and hopefully he will continue that at Washington.
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2020 at 11:02:43 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Really
It was a devastating loss. Back then the AFL was looked upon as a junior league.
It was a tough time for Baltimore. Orioles lost to the amazing Mets around that time
Both teams got their glory, Johnny Unitas beating the Cowboys in the Super Bowl and the O's beating the Big Red machine

The Super Bowl started as an exhibition game, not any sort of real championship. The Colts were the NFL title winners, and still were after they lost. It was after this game that people took the game serious and only after Super Bowl 4 did the game become a Championship Game.
  • Jump to: