2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 16th, 2020 at 1:03:16 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Word is some books made 6 figures off it!

Yes, most of the money was on the Browns -3.5 to -4.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 16th, 2020 at 1:11:29 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yes, most of the money was on the Browns -3.5 to -4.

Hopefully he does not get the same replies as Leon Lett did in the SuperBowl. People actually mailed in their losing squares. Some though mailed in hot dogs but he did not open the mail until months later. Bleah.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
November 16th, 2020 at 2:28:25 PM permalink

Hopefully he does not get the same replies as Leon Lett did in the SuperBowl. People actually mailed in their losing squares. Some though mailed in hot dogs but he did not open the mail until months later. Bleah.

In this case it wasn't a mistake and was absolutely the correct decision.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 17th, 2020 at 5:02:24 AM permalink

In this case it wasn't a mistake and was absolutely the correct decision.

ESPN was saying that he was told in the huddle not to score, just like Gurley was. Except Chubb actually listened. Worked out well for me as my fantasy opponent last week had him!

Just imagine if his goof affected the line bets. He would have gotten much worse than hot dogs sent to him!

Having multiple Pro Bowls and Superbowl victories, Lett is mainly remembered for two (really bad) plays: This one of getting stripped while showboating in the Superbowl, and the Thanksgiving game against the Dolphins where he attempted to recover a blocked FG (the game would have been over if nobody touches it), but muffed it, allowing the Dolphins to recover and kick the winning FG.

I actually remember the Dolphins game more than the Superbowl, as I grew up a Dolphins fan.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 17th, 2020 at 6:16:08 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

ESPN was saying that he was told in the huddle not to score, just like Gurley was. Except Chubb actually listened. Worked out well for me as my fantasy opponent last week had him!

Just imagine if his goof affected the line bets. He would have gotten much worse than hot dogs sent to him!

Having multiple Pro Bowls and Superbowl victories, Lett is mainly remembered for two (really bad) plays: This one of getting stripped while showboating in the Superbowl, and the Thanksgiving game against the Dolphins where he attempted to recover a blocked FG (the game would have been over if nobody touches it), but muffed it, allowing the Dolphins to recover and kick the winning FG.

I actually remember the Dolphins game more than the Superbowl, as I grew up a Dolphins fan.

It DID affect the line. I gave a number here earlier.

I remember the Thanksgiving goof mainly because we had people visiting and when the highlights came one guy said, "WATCH THIS. THE STUPIDEST PLAY YOU WILL SEE ALL YEAR!"
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
November 17th, 2020 at 6:16:46 AM permalink

It DID affect the line. I gave a number here earlier.

I remember the Thanksgiving goof mainly because we had people visiting and when the highlights came one guy said, "WATCH THIS. THE STUPIDEST PLAY YOU WILL SEE ALL YEAR!"

The Lett TD flub affected the line??
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 17th, 2020 at 6:22:09 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

The Lett TD flub affected the line??

No, Chubb. Sorry if I got confused.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
November 17th, 2020 at 7:37:00 AM permalink
If I remember correctly, Penn State and the Falcons managed to blow their games similar ways the same week, by not taking a knee at the one. The PSU head coach is a gameday idiot, pretty much.

There's another element to this that gets overlooked. When you score like that, you add half a dozen or more plays to the game where players can get hurt, and those plays did not have to happen.

The situation was not the same, but I remember the Buddy Ryan flipout on Gilbride when, in a low-scoring game, Gilbride had his offense attempt to score with 20 seconds left and no timeouts from their own 20. They turned the ball over, and then a Ryan-coached player was hurt when the opponent threw into the endzone. Ryan went ballistic on Gilbride and took a whack at him, and I didn't blame him.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
DRich
DRich
November 17th, 2020 at 7:42:53 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

If I remember correctly, Penn State and the Falcons managed to blow their games similar ways the same week, by not taking a knee at the one. The PSU head coach is a gameday idiot, pretty much.

My understanding is that James Franklin did tell his team to fall down and not score.
DRich
DRich
November 17th, 2020 at 7:42:54 AM permalink

My understanding is that James Franklin did tell his team to fall down and not score.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
November 17th, 2020 at 8:31:20 AM permalink
Then perhaps he should have used sign language or had a player in the game who understands English.

Look, if I tell a player in a hoops game to take Shot A at crunch time, and he takes Shot B, then it's my fault as a coach for having him in the game and having he be the player to take the last shot. If your players don't listen to you, that's on you.

Can you imagine Nick Saban's reaction if a player didn't do as instructed in that scenario?
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
unJon
unJon
November 17th, 2020 at 8:35:22 AM permalink

Then perhaps he should have used sign language or had a player in the game who understands English.

Look, if I tell a player in a hoops game to take Shot A at crunch time, and he takes Shot B, then it's my fault as a coach for having him in the game and having he be the player to take the last shot. If your players don't listen to you, that's on you.

Can you imagine Nick Saban's reaction if a player didn't do as instructed in that scenario?

Reminds me of the story with Sun Tzu and the emperor’s harem.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
November 17th, 2020 at 10:19:54 AM permalink

You might be going too far with that one. We can't expect college students to understand english. At least not student athletes.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 17th, 2020 at 10:58:18 AM permalink
As we approach the Raiders / Chiefs rematch this week (Sunday night game), a controversy has emerged. Apparently after the Raiders handed the Chiefs their only defeat last month in Kansas City, Gruden had the team buses circle the stadium in a "victory lap" before leaving. This seems kind of silly to me. It seems like a kind of manufactured bulletin board material, but apparently this stunt bothered Andy Reid, as he has mentioned it several times in the past 2 days now.

So KC is 6.5 favorites at the moment. There was already a revenge factor (which most sports bettors dismiss). Does anyone think it more likely that Reid runs up the score, if given the chance?
DRich
DRich
November 17th, 2020 at 6:28:46 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

As we approach the Raiders / Chiefs rematch this week (Sunday night game), a controversy has emerged. Apparently after the Raiders handed the Chiefs their only defeat last month in Kansas City, Gruden had the team buses circle the stadium in a "victory lap" before leaving. This seems kind of silly to me. It seems like a kind of manufactured bulletin board material, but apparently this stunt bothered Andy Reid, as he has mentioned it several times in the past 2 days now.

So KC is 6.5 favorites at the moment. There was already a revenge factor (which most sports bettors dismiss). Does anyone think it more likely that Reid runs up the score, if given the chance?

I think t the bigger factor is the Covid tests. I would make KC about 9.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
November 19th, 2020 at 7:18:08 PM permalink
Disgraced gambler and radio host Craig Carton on sports betting “touts” or paid services.

“Monday afternoon on WFAN, a week after the Craig Carton-Evan Roberts union had been inaugurated, the discussion, perhaps inevitably, turned to gambling. And a good, apparently honest conversation ensued about a world suddenly turned upside down.

Carton correctly reasoned that there is no famous successful tout because there has never been one and never will be. Their picks would move betting lines; that doesn’t happen. Those who advertise differently are, simply put, boiler room confidence men, thieves out to procure the credit card numbers of the gullible or desperate.

Roberts, slightly reluctantly, nevertheless agreed: Gambling operations, even legal, are not out to make money for anyone other than themselves.”

We were therefore left to glean that the “make it rain” and “get-rich-quick” commercial promises, mostly aimed at young adults, target the vulnerable.
DRich
DRich
November 19th, 2020 at 7:45:46 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

Carton correctly reasoned that there is no famous successful tout because there has never been one and never will be. Their picks would move betting lines; that doesn’t happen. Those who advertise differently are, simply put, boiler room confidence men, thieves out to procure the credit card numbers of the gullible or desperate.

What do you mean by famous? In the sports betting community Doc was pretty famous and respected for 10 or more years. And yes, his picks definitely moved lines.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 19th, 2020 at 8:33:29 PM permalink

What do you mean by famous? In the sports betting community Doc was pretty famous and respected for 10 or more years. And yes, his picks definitely moved lines.

I think what he means is if they are selling picks...they are scammers.
billryan
billryan
November 20th, 2020 at 8:09:35 AM permalink

Who cares what that POS says? People who listen to convicted con men generally are not better off for their efforts. I'm still surprised WFAN gave this jerk a second chance.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 20th, 2020 at 8:21:45 AM permalink
Eehhh why bother.
DRich
DRich
November 20th, 2020 at 8:22:02 AM permalink

Doc was selling picks.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 20th, 2020 at 10:04:20 AM permalink
Toronto Raptors will be playing in Tampa for at least beginning of ‘20-‘21 NBA season.

20!!!! Players out for Minnesota tonight, not sure whom but assume their O-Line decimated their O-Like coach tests positive for Covid.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 20, 2020
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 20th, 2020 at 6:29:12 PM permalink

Doc was selling picks.

I don’t trust anyone named “Doc”.

My guess is he runs hot...runs cold, collects his nice fees but never consistently beats the 52.4% enough to make money for his....dupes, er, uh, clients. Any reviews are littered with people saying the record is misrepresented and outright wrong at times. I’m sure he has his followers.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
TDVegas
November 20th, 2020 at 6:40:47 PM permalink
The thing is, if you’re paying for the picks, you have to hit for higher than that percentage and bet exorbitant amounts for it to actually be +EV, so even in the rare instance they’re a winning bettor themselves it’s rarely ever probably not going to be a positive value to pay for their picks. Along with the issue of actually getting the money down while the line is still available if they’re good.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 20, 2020
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 20th, 2020 at 8:22:53 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

The thing is, if you’re paying for the picks, you have to hit for higher than that percentage and bet exorbitant amounts for it to actually be +EV, so even in the rare instance they’re a winning bettor themselves it’s rarely ever probably not going to be a positive value to pay for their picks. Along with the issue of actually getting the money down while the line is still available if they’re good.

Yep. Hitting 52.4% consistently is no small feat...and that’s just breaking even without paying a tout.

If he was that good, after a decade plus of doing it....his picks would move the line like no other because there would be a massive amount of bettors and $$ put on those picks. Probably almost impossible to get the line he wants for his “customers”, regardless.

If you are good, you need to sell....nothing. Selling covers your own bad picks and is extra gravy for your good picks.

Nice racket.
unJon
unJon
November 21st, 2020 at 6:58:33 AM permalink
I thought it was pretty well documented that Right Angle Sports was +EV on college hoops totals, and they would move the line quickly. Of course making it maybe not +EV for those that paid for their tips and couldn’t get in bets at the same number.
billryan
billryan
November 21st, 2020 at 8:14:18 AM permalink
What you seem to be missing is a tout doesn't have to hit 52.?% of his hits to make you money. He simply has to do better than you'd have done on your own.
If I pick 100 games and normally hit at about 40%, am I not better off paying someone who will pick 50% of them. You would say I am losing money because I'm not breaking even, while I would say at the end of the day I have more money in my pocket than had I picked them myself.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
TDVegas
November 21st, 2020 at 8:18:04 AM permalink
No one normally gets 40%, not including betting mostly dogs or long odds. No honest coin flip ends up 40% over thousands of tries. You’re framing a situation that doesn’t exist.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 21st, 2020 at 8:33:04 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

What you seem to be missing is a tout doesn't have to hit 52.?% of his hits to make you money. He simply has to do better than you'd have done on your own.
If I pick 100 games and normally hit at about 40%, am I not better off paying someone who will pick 50% of them. You would say I am losing money because I'm not breaking even, while I would say at the end of the day I have more money in my pocket than had I picked them myself.

You can have a bad year, you can have a bad stretch....I would question you stating you are hitting 40% consistently as I would question someone saying they are hitting 60% consistently.

I’ve seen paid touts hitting 45% for a full NFL season of picks.

A professional bettor, IMO, has absolutely no good reason to sell his picks. Lots of bad reasons to do so...for the buyer. The good reason for the seller to do it is that he’s not a professional sports picker (any good) and it generates income.
billryan
billryan
November 21st, 2020 at 8:41:16 AM permalink
I don't bet sports, but used to have many friends who did and for some of them winning 40% of their action would have been an improvement. In any event, if you pay somebody for picks and he does a better job than you would do, it's money well spent.
billryan
billryan
November 21st, 2020 at 9:07:18 AM permalink
Eighteen Division One football games got canceled this weekend. Does anyone know what the NFL is doing that the NCAA isn't?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
TDVegas
November 21st, 2020 at 9:12:45 AM permalink

I don't bet sports, but used to have many friends who did and for some of them winning 40% of their action would have been an improvement.

Come on Bill, puffery is one thing but this is ridiculous, it just doesn’t add up. You could have retired even earlier a very rich man just by betting the other side if it were true.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
TDVegas
November 21st, 2020 at 9:34:59 AM permalink

Eighteen Division One football games got canceled this weekend. Does anyone know what the NFL is doing that the NCAA isn't?

Fewer coed dorm parties.
TDVegas
TDVegas
November 21st, 2020 at 10:32:43 AM permalink

I don't bet sports, but used to have many friends who did and for some of them winning 40% of their action would have been an improvement. In any event, if you pay somebody for picks and he does a better job than you would do, it's money well spent.

If they have established some consistency of 40%....they don’t need to pay anyone. They are gold. Whatever picks they make, tear them up and bet the opposite. 60% win....and they pay nobody for that info.

You don’t have to pick winners consistently. You can pick losers consistently and make boat loads of money. Considering most of these bettors don’t flip a coin...let them do their “due diligence” in why they pick certain games. After they are done with the picks...bet the opposite. Winner winner lobster dinner.

There is a forest thru the trees. They just have to look.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
November 21st, 2020 at 11:22:46 AM permalink

The NFL is just powering through. They aren't cancelling or moving games because of covid outbreaks like they were earlier. They have the expanded rosters with the practice squad players and have more or less adopted a "next man up" strategy.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 22nd, 2020 at 7:51:21 PM permalink
NFC East really is going to have a 6 win team in the playoffs this year. Every team has 3 wins after 10 games. What a clown show. I didn’t believe it a month or so ago thought Eagles would pick it up a little.

Amazing how bad Wentz has been this year. While Prescott being out and Dalton missing time has hurt Dallas it’s really been moreso their defense, Cowboys have given up the most points in the entire NFL. “The Football Team” leading the division in point differential, maybe Alex Smith can lead them to the playoffs in his comeback season.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 23rd, 2020 at 6:56:01 AM permalink
And just what were the Cowboys and Redskins Washingtonians thinking yesterday? How dare they try to win against out-of-division opponents? They have ruined my dream of a 4-win division champion!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 23rd, 2020 at 8:37:51 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

And just what were the Cowboys and Redskins Washingtonians thinking yesterday? How dare they try to win against out-of-division opponents? They have ruined my dream of a 4-win division champion!

HAIL TO FOOTBALL TEAM, HAIL VICTORY,
BRAVES, er, PLAYERS ON THE WARPATH,
FIGHT FOR OLD DIXIE. er, wherever.
billryan
billryan
November 23rd, 2020 at 8:53:09 AM permalink
With six games to go, all the teams in the NFC East are within a half-game of each other. This has to be a pretty rare situation. It is a sprint to the finish. That none of them can be a wild card makes it even more interesting. Big Blue will be playing meaningful football in December. The real 2020 season starts now.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 23rd, 2020 at 8:57:53 AM permalink
If anyone needed a textbook example of why division winner shouldn’t be guaranteed a playoff berth it’s this years nfc east. Embarrassing.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
odiousgambitJoeman
November 23rd, 2020 at 11:52:50 AM permalink

With six games to go, all the teams in the NFC East are within a half-game of each other. This has to be a pretty rare situation. It is a sprint to the finish. That none of them can be a wild card makes it even more interesting. Big Blue will be playing meaningful football in December. The real 2020 season starts now.

Sprint to the finish? More like 4 drunks trying to find the door with their shoelaces tied together.
DRich
DRich
November 23rd, 2020 at 12:46:49 PM permalink

That none of them can be a wild card makes it even more interesting.

Are you sure about that? Didn't they add an extra wildcard team this year? I would think one could still win six games and another 5 games and that might be good enough for a wildcard.
unJon
unJon
November 23rd, 2020 at 2:23:33 PM permalink

Are you sure about that? Didn't they add an extra wildcard team this year? I would think one could still win six games and another 5 games and that might be good enough for a wildcard.

They did. But no one in NFC East making a wildcard.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 23rd, 2020 at 2:24:07 PM permalink

There are too many NFC teams above .500 for a 6-10 NFC East team to sneak in as a wildcard. Not impossible.... but not worth the single thought.....
DRich
DRich
November 23rd, 2020 at 3:19:07 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

There are too many NFC teams above .500 for a 6-10 NFC East team to sneak in as a wildcard. Not impossible.... but not worth the single thought.....

I guess that I am just a stickler when someone says it is impossible and I don't think it is impossible.

In theory you could still have a 9-6-1 team win the division and a 8-8 make a wildcard.
unJon
unJon
November 24th, 2020 at 4:24:21 AM permalink
I always do a Thanksgiving day NFL parlay. One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving (the holiday of family, food and football). To be clear I’m not better than throwing darts at a board in NFL betting. But for those that might find it amusing to pull for or against me I’ll be posting it here as I go.

So far I booked an open parlay with Detroit at +3 -120 because I happened to see it hit that after being at +2.5 and I thought it was not going to stay at 3. So far that’s right as it’s back to +2.5. I don’t think Detroit is as bad as last week indicated and I do think there is something about their Thanksgiving games where they tend to over perform.

Haven’t put in anything else yet. Talking myself into adding Washington if the line gets to +3.5. And the under in the Lions game if it goes back up to 52 or beyond.

I’m a Steeler fan so inclined to add a leg here but -4.5 against the Ravens seems like folly.

Anyway, that’s as far as I’ve gotten.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 24th, 2020 at 5:29:09 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I’m a Steeler fan so inclined to add a leg here but -4.5 against the Ravens seems like folly.

Anyway, that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Hard to figure that one. Sometimes they play down to their opponent other times they fire on all cylinders.

They are in some circles regarded as the weakest 10-0 team in NFL history.

OTOH, Baltimore is skidding.
DRich
DRich
November 24th, 2020 at 6:39:16 AM permalink

Hard to figure that one. Sometimes they play down to their opponent other times they fire on all cylinders.

They are in some circles regarded as the weakest 10-0 team in NFL history.

OTOH, Baltimore is skidding.

I would agree that they are the least dominant 10-0 team that I have seen. As you mentioned they regularly play down to competition.

I didn't realize it was up to 4.5 so I may consider the Ravens.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 24th, 2020 at 7:28:11 AM permalink
I think these things are more or less baked into the line nowadays but it’s a very important game for a fairly talented team in Balt and not as meaningful at this point for Pitt beyond homefield race with KC so you would think it should be close most times.
DRich
DRich
November 24th, 2020 at 7:32:31 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I think these things are more or less baked into the line nowadays but it’s a very important game for a fairly talented team in Balt and not as meaningful at this point for Pitt beyond homefield race with KC so you would think it should be close most times.

If you are familar with that rivalry they are usually close. I believe at one time a few years ago the point spread wasn't more than three either way for like ten games.
  • Jump to: