9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

Commish
Commish
  • Threads: 2
October 25th, 2020 at 6:59:14 AM permalink
Jansen backing up home plate instead of watching the play could have saved the loss for the Dodgers.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 25th, 2020 at 8:29:58 AM permalink
Quote: Commish

Jansen backing up home plate instead of watching the play could have saved the loss for the Dodgers.

Jansen was out of position but there is no way he could have retrieved the ball and gotten it to the catcher in time.
One of the best games I've seen in my 52 years of watching baseball. Two teams that I care nothing about and it ended up a game for the ages.
Last edited by: billryan on Oct 25, 2020
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 25th, 2020 at 11:41:50 AM permalink
the Associated Press has the Oregon Ducks ranked # 14
their record - 0-0
they haven't played a game.............................................................................(-:\

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/associated-press
Please don't feed the trolls
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
October 25th, 2020 at 12:28:15 PM permalink
Washington "Football Team" looks like they will pick up their second win after Dallas has had their second QB knocked out of the game in three weeks after Andy Dalton took a vicious helmet to helmet shot as he was giving himself up that led to an ejection. Dallas QB for at least the rest of the game is a 7th round draft pick rookie out of the vaunted James Madison University powerhouse.
As the NFC East dumpster fire turns, it looks like we will have three teams leading the division with two wins after this week with the Eagles pulling ahead at 2-4-1, they're probably the only one with any shot to get to .500 and of course they can't end up at .500 unless they were to get another tie.

Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Oct 25, 2020
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 25th, 2020 at 1:00:34 PM permalink
Here's another instance from college of Bostic, the LB who delivered the shot, launching at the head/neck area of a QB delivering a shot to current Panthers QB Teddy Bridgewater. Immediate instinct is to celebrate.

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 25th, 2020 at 1:01:16 PM permalink
Yes, suddenly a new "contender" for the NFC East....The Washington Football team (or whatever they are called). 2-5, a half game out of um....first place, AND they have beaten the Eagles and Cowboys (tiebreakers).

When Dak went down, I assumed the Cowboys with all their offensive talent and weapons, would still get to 8 wins and were still the division favorites. I had no idea how far Andy Dalton has fallen.

Dallas still has a lot of offensive weapons. Is there anybody out there that can serve as a serviceable backup? Probably not, if there was they would be on a roster somewhere. Colin & Brett sitting by the phones? lol.

Actually Colin Kaepernick might not be a bad fit if he were to have anything left after 3 or 4 years. Probably doesn't. But Jerry so against the player protests is about the last owner that would give him a shot.
billryan
billryan
October 25th, 2020 at 1:07:41 PM permalink
Eli's coming?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 25th, 2020 at 1:22:11 PM permalink
Roger Staubach is not walking through that door, Troy Aikman is not walking through that door, Tony Romo is not walking through that door...
kewlj
kewlj
October 25th, 2020 at 1:29:34 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Eli's coming?

Boy, I forgot about Eli already. Out of sight, out of mind. Lol
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 25th, 2020 at 2:04:36 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Is there anybody out there that can serve as a serviceable backup? Probably not, if there was they would be on a roster somewhere. Colin & Brett sitting by the phones? lol.

Actually Colin Kaepernick might not be a bad fit if he were to have anything left after 3 or 4 years. Probably doesn't. But Jerry so against the player protests is about the last owner that would give him a shot.

Andrew Luck
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 25th, 2020 at 3:10:26 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

the Associated Press has the Oregon Ducks ranked # 14
their record - 0-0
they haven't played a game.............................................................................(-:\

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/associated-press

Yeah but they play in Autzen Stadium
That's got to count for something
That place is truly magical
Best Grateful Dead concert I ever saw was at Autzen Stadium and I saw my boys over a hundred times.
terapined
terapined
October 25th, 2020 at 3:11:03 PM permalink
Dup post
terapined
terapined
October 25th, 2020 at 3:11:10 PM permalink
Dup post
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 25th, 2020 at 3:54:46 PM permalink
Stupid Steelers and Titans. Both missed a score that cost me the over.

But I pushed. It was in a 3 spot parlay.

Now, it was reduced to a 2 spot so I still won +415.

Is that normal on a parlay? Push spots just reduce it to one game less? I thought 1 void was all void. Not that I am complaining. but first it happened.

Fellow degenerates?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
AZDuffman
October 25th, 2020 at 4:30:59 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Is that normal on a parlay? Push spots just reduce it to one game less? I thought 1 void was all void. Not that I am complaining. but first it happened.

Fellow degenerates?

Yes, that is the usual way it is handled.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 25th, 2020 at 6:09:24 PM permalink

Fellow degenerates?

Yes. Bad bookie if a push loses a parlay. Pushes tend to lose teasers (though that can depend also).
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 25th, 2020 at 6:31:38 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

the kids that get into Michigan have 1200+ SATs.... while only 4 of the 100 football players do.... (example.... )

I can list dozens of examples why their football players are just plain treated differently than the actual students.

ALL schpp;s SAY they focus on academics, pay the coach the money.

Most universi5i3s make money from government contracts.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 26th, 2020 at 1:38:04 AM permalink
Manuel Margot trying to steal home in the World Series.............................. first attempt in 18 years

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 26th, 2020 at 4:36:11 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Yes. Bad bookie if a push loses a parlay. Pushes tend to lose teasers (though that can depend also).

I am surprised I did not know but it never happened before.

I still do not get how teasers work even after all these years.
kewlj
kewlj
October 26th, 2020 at 8:41:08 AM permalink

I still do not get how teasers work even after all these years.

Teasers. That's an easy one. Your date leads you to believe you are headed towards the promise land, when they have zero intention of going there. This often leaves you very sad or um "blue". :/
kewlj
kewlj
October 26th, 2020 at 9:25:01 AM permalink
Just one day after Penn State blew a game by scoring a touchdown with a minute left (rather than run out the clock) which gave the opponent an extra possession that lead to a game tying score and eventual overtime loss, Atlanta falcons made a very similar mistake.

The circumstances were slightly different as Atlanta was losing by 2 points with a first and goal from the 10 with 1:08 left and their opponent having no time outs left. The optimal strategy would be to run the ball twice, trying to advance towards the goal line but not score (fall down before scoring). Then YOU stop the clock on 3rd down with 10 or 12 seconds left and run a play trying to score a touchdown. If that fails, you then kick a very short field goal (shorter than extra point) to win the game. Either scoring a touchdown on 3rd down or the field goal would have left Detroit one play to attempt a comeback.

Instead just like the Penn State game, Gurley scored with no resistance from defense, defense even celebrating his score because it game them an extra possession and chance to win, which they did. And just like the Penn State game, it appears at the last second Gurley tried to not score, but come on, how can these players and coaches not understand the situation and optimal thing to do.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/atlanta-falcons-blow-sure-win-204832285.html
DRich
DRich
October 26th, 2020 at 10:44:08 AM permalink

Instead just like the Penn State game, Gurley scored with no resistance from defense, defense even celebrating his score because it game them an extra possession and chance to win, which they did. And just like the Penn State game, it appears at the last second Gurley tried to not score, but come on, how can these players and coaches not understand the situation and optimal thing to do.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/atlanta-falcons-blow-sure-win-204832285.html

I think in both cases the coach knew and even told the players not to score yet their natural instinct kicked in.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
October 26th, 2020 at 1:05:36 PM permalink
Raiders execute a fake punt against Tampa Bay and the announcer gleefully states Gruden was rolling the dice early in the game. Announcers love making Vegas gambling metaphors!

billryan
billryan
October 26th, 2020 at 1:57:01 PM permalink
What happens if an NFL runner chooses to stop on the five yard line and the defense decides to stay away from him? He is not down by contact so does the clock simply keep going until the game ends?
During the second Giants Superbowl win, Armand Bradshaw tried to stop near the goal line but his forward momentum drove him in.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 26th, 2020 at 1:59:49 PM permalink

What happens if an NFL runner chooses to stop on the five yard line and the defense decides to stay away from him? He is not down by contact so does the clock simply keep going until the game ends?
During the second Giants Superbowl win, Armand Bradshaw tried to stop near the goal line but his forward momentum drove him in.

The clock should keep moving until the play is over. But why would he stop?
kewlj
kewlj
October 26th, 2020 at 2:00:11 PM permalink

Isn't there now a rule where the player is giving himself up?
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 26th, 2020 at 2:25:21 PM permalink

Yes. The announcers for one of the games on Sunday were talking about it. I believe it includes taking a knee, sliding, or even diving. So, if a runner dives for the endzone from the 5 and lands on the 1, he is down, even if he bounces into the endzone without being touched by the defense.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
October 26th, 2020 at 4:31:28 PM permalink

If a player takes a knee and tells the ref that he is down the ref will blow the whistle.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 26th, 2020 at 4:54:58 PM permalink
Maurice Jones Drew took a knee after a 9 yard gain at the 1.5ish yard line when with no one within a couple yards to tackle him with OVER 1:40 TO GO and the Jaguars down 1 in 2009. Opposing team must have had no time outs left to do so with so much time left. He was a top scoring fantasy football option at the time and I remember there being some rather frustrated fantasy football owners.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
October 26th, 2020 at 6:16:05 PM permalink
Seattle-Arizona game: one of the most entertaining NFL games I've seen in a long time.

And it looks like the Jets are poised to win the Trevor Lawrence lottery.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
October 26th, 2020 at 6:44:40 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Seattle-Arizona game: one of the most entertaining NFL games I've seen in a long time....

I was watching the World Series and luck with the timing, it ended just in time to switch to the SEA-ARI game as it went into overtime.
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywrMfiALmU )
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 27th, 2020 at 3:28:07 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Seattle-Arizona game: one of the most entertaining NFL games I've seen in a long time.

part of the reason it was so entertaining was the mobility of those 2 QBs

the stay in the pocket QB may be a thing of the past - looks like it's slowly fading away

DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2020 at 7:27:05 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

part of the reason it was so entertaining was the mobility of those 2 QBs

the stay in the pocket QB may be a thing of the past - looks like it's slowly fading away

I agree, I am happy to see some diversity in NFL. I have always enjoyed college football so much more because of the variety of offenses you see.
kewlj
kewlj
Thanked by
smoothgrh
October 28th, 2020 at 9:13:10 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I think in both cases the coach knew and even told the players not to score yet their natural instinct kicked in.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1321536814004449281
kewlj
kewlj
October 28th, 2020 at 9:13:15 PM permalink

https://twitter.com/i/status/1321536814004449281
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
October 29th, 2020 at 1:54:29 PM permalink
Not saying RB tried to score on purpose... but his next contract that is a TD in his stat line. A 10 TD RB gets more money than a 9 TD RB.

I have seen DOZENS of cornerbacks and safeties make unnecessary interceptions on 4th down when it would clearly have been better for their team to just not catch the ball. I’m not talking about situations where catching the ball prevents his opponent from catching the ball. Way overthrown balls. Balls on the sideline, etc...

Bottom line.... players (mostly) play for themselves. And they are not too smart in general.
billryan
billryan
October 29th, 2020 at 8:31:31 PM permalink
When you train and practice doing something for your whole life, it's difficult to suddenly do the opposite.
kewlj
kewlj
October 29th, 2020 at 9:41:37 PM permalink
Eagles / Cowboys line: Dallas +9.5, +350.

Yikes! Should the Eagles be favored over anybody by 9.5 pts? This is a team that lost to Washington, tied Cincinnati and barely beat the Giants by 1.

If I wasn't an Eagles fan, which prohibits me from betting against them, I would have to bet maybe both those lines.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 30th, 2020 at 1:16:21 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Bottom line.... players (mostly) play for themselves. And they are not too smart in general.

I missed the issue why a RB would not try to score here?

But as to intercepting when you should not, it is easy to say that when you are watching TV. When you are playing it is going to be different. All but one play it makes sense to intercept. You can be sure in the huddle they are saying "bat it down if it comes near you!" but what if they are in a hurry up with no huddle? What if it is not obvious no other player can catch it? These things happen.

This does not excuse some obvious things though. Who was the QB a few years back that did not realize a game can end in a tie?
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 30th, 2020 at 5:04:40 AM permalink

I missed the issue why a RB would not try to score here?

If Gurley falls down at the 1, the Falcons could have run the clock down and won the game on a last-second field goal from point-blank range. The Lions would not have been able to stop the clock nor get possession of the ball. As it was, the Lions got the ball back with enough time to drive down the field and score a TD to win.

BTW, it appears as though he realizes his mistake at about the 1 yard line. The thing is, if he just switches the ball to his upfield hand as he is going down, he may have been able to avoid scoring. Kind of the opposite of reaching the ball over the goal line.

Quote:

But as to intercepting when you should not, it is easy to say that when you are watching TV. When you are playing it is going to be different. All but one play it makes sense to intercept. You can be sure in the huddle they are saying "bat it down if it comes near you!" but what if they are in a hurry up with no huddle? What if it is not obvious no other player can catch it? These things happen.

I agree with this. Plus, there is a possibility that the intercepting player could return the ball beyond the line of scrimmage. It's like running the ball out of the endzone on a kickoff. Why would anyone do that if taking a knee would put the ball on the 25? Because he might return it further or even score. There is also the case where the other team is inside the 20, and intercepting the ball in the endzone for a touchback will give your team better field position than if the ball went over on downs.

But, yeah, I still yell at my TV when a player intercepts a ball on 4th down, losing 30 yards of field position because he didn't just bat it down.

Quote:

This does not excuse some obvious things though. Who was the QB a few years back that did not realize a game can end in a tie?

Donovan McNabb
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
October 30th, 2020 at 7:20:33 AM permalink

Eagles / Cowboys line: Dallas +9.5, +350.

Yikes! Should the Eagles be favored over anybody by 9.5 pts? This is a team that lost to Washington, tied Cincinnati and barely beat the Giants by 1.

If I wasn't an Eagles fan, which prohibits me from betting against them, I would have to bet maybe both those lines.

Dallas is on a third string QB that has never started an NFL game. Expect a lot of running by Elliot.

I never understood people that won't bet against their team. You know your team better than most, if you think they are at a disadvantage why not bet it?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 30th, 2020 at 8:32:46 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

But, yeah, I still yell at my TV when a player intercepts a ball on 4th down, losing 30 yards of field position because he didn't just bat it down.

Donovan McNabb

Thanks, was thinking Vick but it seemed wrong.

My family and friends played touch football on Christmas Eve in the late 1990s. One dude did the intercept when he should have batted down. He did some other silly things that I asked if he learned the rules to football in the car on the way over. lol
billryan
billryan
October 30th, 2020 at 10:34:56 AM permalink
Players practice tip drills all the time. They don't practice smacking the ball into the ground. When a defensive back intercepts a ball, there is very little chance the other team recovers it. When a defensive player smacks the ball, you have a small chance of an Immaculate Reception type play. Bad things can happen when a ball is tipped into the air.
billryan
billryan
October 30th, 2020 at 10:39:49 AM permalink

Dallas is on a third string QB that has never started an NFL game. Expect a lot of running by Elliot.

I never understood people that won't bet against their team. You know your team better than most, if you think they are at a disadvantage why not bet it?

Speaking only for myself, I don't bet against the Yankees, Giants or Nets because I'd rather enjoy the game and hope for a win than make a few bucks and see my team lose. There are more than enough other ways to make money. I am a casual bettor. Perhaps if I were a pro, my attitude would be different but I'm not, so it isn't.
DRich
DRich
October 30th, 2020 at 1:26:06 PM permalink

Speaking only for myself, I don't bet against the Yankees, Giants or Nets because I'd rather enjoy the game and hope for a win than make a few bucks and see my team lose. There are more than enough other ways to make money. I am a casual bettor. Perhaps if I were a pro, my attitude would be different but I'm not, so it isn't.

I understand the dilemma I just don't understand how rooting for your team will influence the outcome. Still root for your team even if you think betting the other side makes sense. I do it quite often.
kewlj
kewlj
October 30th, 2020 at 1:32:42 PM permalink

I understand the dilemma I just don't understand how rooting for your team will influence the outcome. Still root for your team even if you think betting the other side makes sense. I do it quite often.

I have done it on occasion. And this is actually the perfect situation. I could bet cowboys +9.5 and still root for The Eagles to win.

But each time I have done something like this it really diminishes my enjoyment as a fan rooting for my team, not to mention never works out. Lol.

So as a huge Eagles and Villanova basketball fan, I just now never bet against my teams.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 30th, 2020 at 4:07:48 PM permalink
right now the Jets are 20 point underdogs to the Chiefs,,,,,,,,,..........,,,,,,,,,(-:\

the Jets are pretty bad
the Chiefs are real good

but that's a lot of points
the Jets only lost by 8 to the Bills last week
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 1st, 2020 at 1:32:41 PM permalink
𝐀𝐏'𝐬 𝐏𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐂 𝐍𝐂𝐀𝐀 𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒

𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐟 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐞𝐝 the new rankings were just released today
the Oregon Ducks have moved up 2 notches since last week
they're now ranked #𝟏𝟐
their record.................................𝟎-𝟎
𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚𝙣'𝙩 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙡𝙚 𝙜𝙖𝙢𝙚.....................................(-:\

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 1st, 2020 at 4:29:12 PM permalink
So after I stop caring about the Steelers they seem to be making a run of runs. Does anyone think they will be an underdog the rest of the way? I sort of see them being a favorite to bet against as they do tend to let teams catch up. They are also a good over bet for the same reason. At least it seems.

Thoughts?
DRich
DRich
November 1st, 2020 at 7:53:29 PM permalink

So after I stop caring about the Steelers they seem to be making a run of runs. Does anyone think they will be an underdog the rest of the way? I sort of see them being a favorite to bet against as they do tend to let teams catch up. They are also a good over bet for the same reason. At least it seems.

Thoughts?

I think it is possible they may be an underdog when they play in Buffalo. The rest of their schedule looks pretty good with only tough games at home against the Colts and Ravens.
  • Jump to: