9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
December 8th, 2020 at 2:17:38 AM permalink
it's so great to see people excited about Washington football - it's been so very, very long

pretty amazing stuff about the game last night:

Gibson, their top RB went out early with an injury and got only 14 yards
McLaurin - their young receiver who many think will be a superstar caught only 2 balls for 14 yards -
other than Smith, those guys are their 2 best offensive players - by far -

and they still won -

will their success last? - "the answer my friend - is blowing in the wind - the answer is blowing in the wind"
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 8th, 2020 at 3:02:48 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

So the 1972 Miami Dolphins perfect season is safe as the Steelers lose to Washington football team. For me, it ends any thought I was considering of playing a bet on Eagles to win division, so probably saved me a couple hundred bucks.

The proper noun should be capitalized, Football Team.

It won me some cash as I took the Football Team and the points in a parlay with the under.

Having disowned the Steelers it is an interesting experience to see them as they are, again I say playing down to the competition. And the announcers said what I saw yesterday. They cannot run the ball. On defense they kept falling to that play where the QB made a quick pass to the left flat. Over, over, and over. This is an 8-3 team that had the experienced QB to pull out some games they should have lost.

Short week to an away game against a good team. I have yet to see the line but if the Bills are getting 5 or more take them!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 8th, 2020 at 3:19:49 AM permalink
because of the fallout from the disaster the Jets have fired their defensive coordinator Gregg Williams
ESPN stats reports that in 251 similar situations it was the first time a team had rushed more than 6 players

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/sports/football/jets-raiders-gregg-williams-fired.html
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 8th, 2020 at 7:15:53 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Short week to an away game against a good team. I have yet to see the line but if the Bills are getting 5 or more take them!

No way will the Bill sbe getting anywhere near 5 points. They could actually be the favorite.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
December 8th, 2020 at 7:15:56 AM permalink

No way will the Bills be getting anywhere near 5 points. They could actually be the favorite.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 8th, 2020 at 7:17:42 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

No way will the Bill sbe getting anywhere near 5 points. They could actually be the favorite.

I see Steelers -2.5.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
December 8th, 2020 at 8:02:21 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I see Steelers -2.5.

I just looked at William Hill in Nevada and they have it at Pickem. There may be a nice middle there.
unJon
unJon
December 8th, 2020 at 8:25:05 AM permalink

I just looked at William Hill in Nevada and they have it at Pickem. There may be a nice middle there.

Oh wow.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 8th, 2020 at 8:41:05 AM permalink

I see Steelers -2.5.

My book has Bills -1.5. Extra juice on the Steelers at -117.

You can take the Steelers to win at -105 or take the 1.5 points and get juiced for -117.

Is it just me or is that an expensive chance on a 1 point game?

Over/Under is 47.5 with extra juice on the under (-115) and less on the over (-105). I see the over as the bet here.
unJon
unJon
December 8th, 2020 at 8:47:34 AM permalink

My book has Bills -1.5. Extra juice on the Steelers at -117.

You can take the Steelers to win at -105 or take the 1.5 points and get juiced for -117.

Is it just me or is that an expensive chance on a 1 point game?

Over/Under is 47.5 with extra juice on the under (-115) and less on the over (-105). I see the over as the bet here.

Just checked my book. It’s a pick em now. And 46.5 total.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 8th, 2020 at 10:01:55 AM permalink

Just checked my book. It’s a pick em now. And 46.5 total.

Funny, now mine is Buffalo -2 but extra juice down to -112.

Bills -0 is now -132 extra juice! They probably also make you buy a pen to sign the ticket if they are that crooked.

This discussion has me feeling like one of those runners who used to sit in the Stardust getting fat and wait for the line to move.

How I wish I had that job.....

EDIT: Now negative juice on the Steelers to win! Can't pass that up as the Bills are probably not as strong as they seem to be. Split my bet in two on parlay both the over and under. That is better than fooling with the juice on the spreads. As long as they don't lose by 1 or 2.
Last edited by: AZDuffman on Dec 8, 2020
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 9th, 2020 at 5:32:09 AM permalink

EDIT: Now negative juice on the Steelers to win! Can't pass that up as the Bills are probably not as strong as they seem to be. Split my bet in two on parlay both the over and under. That is better than fooling with the juice on the spreads. As long as they don't lose by 1 or 2.

Overnight the moneyline on Steelers goes from +108 to +125! Spread now Bills -2.5.

Was there an injury or is the public jumping on the Bills?
unJon
unJon
December 9th, 2020 at 5:41:56 AM permalink

Funny, now mine is Buffalo -2 but extra juice down to -112.

Bills -0 is now -132 extra juice! They probably also make you buy a pen to sign the ticket if they are that crooked.

This discussion has me feeling like one of those runners who used to sit in the Stardust getting fat and wait for the line to move.

How I wish I had that job.....

Why would you parlay with both the over and the under??
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 10th, 2020 at 3:10:57 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Thirty years ago, I had a bumper sticker that said raising your children to be a Jet fan is Child Abuse. It was true then, it is true now.

nobody ever rocked the NFL like Joe Willie Namath - nobody

billryan
billryan
December 10th, 2020 at 6:42:59 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

That was fifty years ago. Broadway Joe did his best work in the AFL.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 10th, 2020 at 9:25:17 AM permalink

That was fifty years ago. Broadway Joe did his best work in the AFL.

I prefer Ben and Jerry's to the coat

Colin Kaepernick, Ben & Jerry's collaborate for new 'Change the Whirled' flavor
Kap probably making good scratch
Jerry Garcia once considered retiring and just living off the Cherry Garcia royalties from Ben and Jerrys
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 12th, 2020 at 10:09:44 PM permalink
Terrifying moment in the Florida vs Florida St. basketball game today. SEC preseason player of the year Keyontae Johnson collapsed on the court, in critical but stable condition at last public update. Most likely unrelated but he did have COVID this past summer.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 13th, 2020 at 2:22:52 AM permalink
crazy interception bouncing off 2 people, the last was off of a players helmet as LSU upsets Florida in a wild game with a fabulous finish

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 13th, 2020 at 7:13:38 AM permalink
Florida was about to get the ball back with about two minutes to go when after stopping LSU on third down a player threw an LSU player’s shoe down the field!!!! LSU drove down the field for FG, which put them ahead with less than 30 seconds to go. Florida did end up with chance to tie on 50+ yard FG but barely missed.

This one idiot may have cost Florida a shot at the national championship! And what did coach do? Kept him in the game after his selfish idiotic move.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 13th, 2020 at 1:11:22 PM permalink
Dan Bailey may have cost the Vikings the game today in a game that the score didn’t look close. Today was the chance to put Brady on the path of potentially missing playoffs, now Bucs will almost certainly get a wild card with swing between the two teams. 3 missed field goals and a missed extra point. Ending margin 12 points but butterfly effect and what not. Minnesota had 39 minutes time of possession. Only kicker in last 55 years to miss 3 field goals and an extra point without a make. Missed two extra points last week against Jacksonville. Female kicker from Vanderbilt would do better.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 13th, 2020 at 4:50:07 PM permalink
Wash won, Eagles won, Cowboys won, Giants lost - Wash has a lead in NFC east standings now at 6-7, but it's not a big lead
Wash got 23 points - no offensive TDs - Alex Smith pulled with calf injury
Wash D got 2 scores - the rest was field goals - Wash D does look tough right now
Chase Young - linebacker - 2nd pick in the draft is starting to shine brightly
DRich
DRich
December 13th, 2020 at 5:37:18 PM permalink

Wash won, Eagles won, Cowboys won, Giants lost - Wash has a lead in NFC east standings now at 6-7, but it's not a big lead
Wash got 23 points - no offensive TDs - Alex Smith pulled with calf injury
Wash D got 2 scores - the rest was field goals - Wash D does look tough right now
Chase Young - linebacker - 2nd pick in the draft is starting to shine brightly

Is Chase Young playing Linebacker? I just assumed he was D-Line.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 14th, 2020 at 12:24:45 AM permalink

Is Chase Young playing Linebacker? I just assumed he was D-Line.

you're right - my bad

DC is very excited about him - he's local - from DeMatha H.S. -- Hyattsville, MD
DeMatha is known as a basketball powerhouse - Morgan Wooten - HOF Coach - recently passed - the winningest h.s. coach in history - 1274-192 - 87% wins
but DeMatha is also very, very tough, but not as dominant in football

the top passer for the week is a guy whose name you don't hear much - Drew Lock........... (who?.............(-:\)......................for the lowly Broncos
he threw for 280 yards and 4 TDs and a 152 passer rating topping the 2nd place QB of the week Aaron Rodgers

the Jets are right now 17 point dogs to the Rams - wow - that's a lot - they just got beat by 37

no more Cleveland Indians - they're dropping the nickname which they've had for more than 100 years

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-baseball-name-change.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 14, 2020
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 14th, 2020 at 6:12:47 AM permalink
Bills may now be second best team in football. There are a lot of teams (Steelers, Titans, Colts, Saints, Packers, Seahawks more!) that would think they are. But Chiefs are clear number 1.

I would take the field over the Chiefs. But not by much. Mahomes throws three picks and chiefs still win....
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 14th, 2020 at 6:21:49 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Bills may now be second best team in football. There are a lot of teams (Steelers, Titans, Colts, Saints, Packers, Seahawks more!) that would think they are. But Chiefs are clear number 1.

I would take the field over the Chiefs. But not by much. Mahomes throws three picks and chiefs still win....

Last year I tool the Bills at 25:`1 for the conference I thought they were that underratred. Maybe a year of seasoning helped.

Will the Steelers be the what was it 86 or 87 Jets who roared to 9-1 then Pete Axthelm said they would not win another game and ended 10-6? I told you peeps they were overrated.

Yes, I know I took them over the Bills. I thought the Bills would dud.
DRich
DRich
December 14th, 2020 at 6:40:43 AM permalink

Last year I tool the Bills at 25:`1 for the conference I thought they were that underratred. Maybe a year of seasoning helped.

Will the Steelers be the what was it 86 or 87 Jets who roared to 9-1 then Pete Axthelm said they would not win another game and ended 10-6? I told you peeps they were overrated.

Yes, I know I took them over the Bills. I thought the Bills would dud.

Josh Allen played incredible yesterday. If he can regularly play 90% that well the Bills willcontinue to be a good team. The Steelers are definitely playing under expectation and their injuies the past three games have been devastating. The Steelers are probably the eqivalent of a 10-6 team now. I believe many of their injuries are season ending and their season could go either direction.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 14th, 2020 at 9:28:24 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I would take the field over the Chiefs. But not by much. ...

current from vegasinsider.com:

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 14, 2020
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
December 15th, 2020 at 4:36:44 AM permalink
highly entertaining end to Ravens/Browns game as Browns try several laterals to try to score - they kept it alive for a very long time..................(-:\

DRich
DRich
December 15th, 2020 at 7:19:02 AM permalink

highly entertaining end to Ravens/Browns game as Browns try several laterals to try to score - they kept it alive for a very long time..................(-:\

That crazy endingon the last play of the game definitely hurt the Browns+3 bettors and gave the win to the Ravens bettors. Had that lasy play not resulted in a safety all of the bettors would have had a push.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 15th, 2020 at 8:57:42 AM permalink

That crazy endingon the last play of the game definitely hurt the Browns+3 bettors and gave the win to the Ravens bettors. Had that lasy play not resulted in a safety all of the bettors would have had a push.

I was watching a betting show right before the game and it was 3.5. With the usual juice. I thought Cleveland +3.5 was a great bet... and it was.... until the last play.....

The fourth quarter was like a made for TV movie....
unJon
unJon
December 15th, 2020 at 11:54:55 AM permalink
One of the greatest fourth quarters I’ve seen in a very long time.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 17th, 2020 at 2:30:11 AM permalink

MLB will add the Negro Leagues to its official records

from the article:

'More than 3,400 players from seven leagues that operated from 1920 to 1948 will now be considered major leaguers in a move that will shake up record books"

Josh Gibson will be awarded the single season record for batting average as he batted .441 for multiple Negro League teams in 1943.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/16/sports/baseball/mlb-negro-leagues.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage
billryan
billryan
December 17th, 2020 at 9:48:15 AM permalink

MLB will add the Negro Leagues to its official records

from the article:

'More than 3,400 players from seven leagues that operated from 1920 to 1948 will now be considered major leaguers in a move that will shake up record books"

Josh Gibson will be awarded the single season record for batting average as he batted .441 for multiple Negro League teams in 1943.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/16/sports/baseball/mlb-negro-leagues.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

If they are going to count Gibsons hits off of high school kids and industrial league teams, they should count all the exhibition and barnstorming games that MLB players participated in. As best I can tell, Mr Gibson never had enough plate appearances to qualify for a batting title.
Now that MLB recognizes them as part of their history, who owns the trademarks of the long defunct teams?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 17th, 2020 at 11:43:36 AM permalink
I once helped banned member Buzzard with a medical issue. He very kindly sent me a shirt embroidered with a patch from each Negro League team. Although of course it is an embarrassment for our country that the Negro Leagues had to even exist, I disagree with this decision. Are they going to have computer generated games to determine if World Series winners would have beaten the top Negro League team each year?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 17th, 2020 at 1:39:16 PM permalink

after starring in the Negro Leagues a 42 year old Satchel Paige (way before the era of nutritional supplements) joined the Cleveland Indians in 1948
some claim he was a lot older - nobody knows for sure

he went 6-1 with a 2.48 ERA

in 1952 at age 46 - or older - he went 12-10 with a 3.07 ERA with the Indians

Joe Dimaggio called him "the greatest pitcher he had ever seen"

if he had pitched for the Indians when he was 22 he probably would have thrown a shutout every other game

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/paigesa01.shtml
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 18th, 2020 at 1:55:29 PM permalink

the link is to Google Image - some great pics of the Negro League
Google gets a lot of criticism - maybe it's deserved - but wow - they do deliver

https://www.google.com/search?q=negro+league&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiHxfLTv9jtAhUDjVkKHbJEAbIQ_AUoA3oECDEQBQ&biw=1745&bih=852

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 18th, 2020 at 2:20:53 PM permalink

..l

if he had pitched for the Indians l

I think they are going by Cleveland Baseball Team pretty soon.

The high school I went to’s team name is Indians, wonder when they will be forced to change it. Got rid of the full head dress went to two feathers probably two decades ago. The town is named after a Native American chief and his bones are underneath a memorial where the town museum is.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 19th, 2020 at 1:38:22 AM permalink
the image is Wiki's reconstruction of Josh Gibson's stats
an amusing thing I read about him - white reporters referred to him as "the black Babe Ruth"
so black people started calling Babe Ruth "the white Josh Gibson".............................................................................(-:\

billryan
billryan
December 19th, 2020 at 8:41:34 AM permalink
Josh Gibson has long been recognized as one of the best baseball players of all -time. An honor he certainly deserves. Trying to give him the record for the highest BA in a season is a joke, as the article even says that 2/3rds of his season consisted of playing games against inferior competition. What's next? Taking away the Yankees Wold Series wins because they didn't play the Negro leagues?
Growing up, I heard of Mr Gibson and his supposed 800 career homeruns, yet when serious baseball historians started looking into his game stats, it turned out several hundred of them were missing. On more than one occasion, records indicate Mr Gibson played a game on the East Coast the same day he played a game in the Mid-West. Either he owned a teleporter or promoters took advantage of the rubes they were playing in front of by using a substitute player.
He is a legendary player but lets not spoil his legacy by trying to give him something he clearly doesn't deserve.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 19th, 2020 at 10:45:49 AM permalink
a lot of people have pointed to MLB disdainfully because of the necessity of there being a Negro League
it's not really fair to single MLB out for this
consider a supposedly sophisticated business enterprise such as The New York Times
during the time of the Negro League the Times had either ZERO or almost ZERO black reporters or management personnel
and there were many who were educated at black colleges who could have qualified for these positions
who is the New York Times to point fingers?
billryan
billryan
December 19th, 2020 at 11:00:35 AM permalink
MLB integrated before the US Armed Forces did. Twenty years after blacks first played in the major leagues, most SEC teams were still all white.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 19th, 2020 at 11:26:18 AM permalink

Twenty years after blacks first played in the major leagues, most SEC teams were still all white.

Perry Wallace was the first black player to play for a major college in the SEC - 1968
Willie Allen, from Rockville, MD, was the first black player to play for Miami - 1968
and this is BASKETBALL
DRich
DRich
December 19th, 2020 at 1:05:27 PM permalink
I watched the Big Ten championship and I must say that was the worst Ohio State game I have ever watched. I am from Ohio and I have been watching them for forty years. It was embarrassing.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
December 19th, 2020 at 1:14:03 PM permalink

If they are going to count Gibsons hits off of high school kids and industrial league teams, they should count all the exhibition and barnstorming games that MLB players participated in. As best I can tell, Mr Gibson never had enough plate appearances to qualify for a batting title.
Now that MLB recognizes them as part of their history, who owns the trademarks of the long defunct teams?

-There have been high school aged players in MLB and all of the hits against them were recorded. Likewise, the only hits of Gibson that are being included in historical databases are hits against professionals, in league play. Industrial league teams, exhibitions, and barnstorming games are not. So your proposal to do that with other players is completely inconsistent.
-Plate appearance requirements for a batting title is 3.1 x games played by the team. Gibson surpassed that several times.
-MLB is not recognizing them as part of MLB history, they are recognizing them as a 'major league.' The vocabulary can be confusing, but they have already been recognized several other leagues that were not part of MLB as 'major league' for over 50 years. Players League, Federal League, American Association, Union Association were not MLB (they were PL, FL, AA, and UA, obviously), yet the stats from those leagues are all at mlb.com (along with baseball-reference, fangraphs, Baseball Encyclopedia, etc).
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
December 19th, 2020 at 1:29:37 PM permalink

Trying to give him the record for the highest BA in a season is a joke,

No one is trying to give him anything. His batting average is simply the number of hits he had divided by at bats. It is fascinating that some people care so deeply about comparing that quotient to Tip O'Neill's batting averages in the 1880s.

On more than one occasion, records indicate Mr Gibson played a game on the East Coast the same day he played a game in the Mid-West.

I would be interested in hearing about this and about how the researchers handled it. My first thought is that the media reports came out on the same day, even if the games were a day or two apart.

Either he owned a teleporter or promoters took advantage of the rubes they were playing in front of by using a substitute player.

If it is the first, then that is just awesome. If it is the second, that means it wasn't a professional league game and those stats are not being added to the databases; so while it is an interesting quirk, it has no effect on this issue.

He is a legendary player but lets not spoil his legacy by trying to give him something he clearly doesn't deserve.

No one is trying to give him anything. It is simply recording all his hits and outs and runs and putting them in the same database that contains hits and outs and runs of other professional baseball players. As far as I can tell, the only thing of substance that is going to change is that instead of having to go to both baseball-reference (or mlb.com) and seamheads, we now only have to go to one of those places to see all the stats. I think all those places will benefit, as well as their audiences.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 19th, 2020 at 2:11:12 PM permalink
kind of interesting, to me anyway
because of all this I looked up some stats
the great players of the early part of the 20th century are well known such as Ty Cobb and Rogers Hornsby
but not so the great players of the 19th century

Hugh Duffy held (until Josh Gibson replaces him) the single season batting average record of .440 which he posted in 1894

until now I never heard of him

Ed Delahanty batted over .400 three times in the 1890s -

until now I never heard of him - even though he also did also play in the very early part of the 20th century

both of them, in their best year, had many more RBIs than did Ty Cobb in his best year

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 21st, 2020 at 1:21:42 AM permalink
the Jets huge upset means they fell behind the Jaguars in line for the no. 1 pick

wow - the early line has Notre Dame 19 to 20 point dogs to Bama - that's a lot

Derrick Henry - brutal stiff arm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ydo3tlfbrc
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 21, 2020
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
December 21st, 2020 at 5:07:51 AM permalink
Brady and the Bucs pulled off another great comeback against the Falcons.Without Brady Pats are out of playoffs and most likely Bucs are in.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 21st, 2020 at 5:43:20 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Brady and the Bucs pulled off another great comeback against the Falcons.Without Brady Pats are out of playoffs and most likely Bucs are in.

At halftime I was texting my son how sad it is to watch Brady unable to compete anymore. By the end of the game he was best QB of the weekend...!

Cam Newton just does not have the same arm he had pre shoulder injury. He went from a top QB to a guy who would be an average backup at best.

Aqib Talib is now an announcer. Not polished, but quite fun to listen to. Says what he thinks with only a little filter! Refreshing!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 25th, 2020 at 12:35:47 AM permalink
the Brooklyn Nets should be a whole different ball of wax this year with both Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant
will be interesting to see if they can contest for Conference championship or crown - will loyal Knicks fans migrate to them?....... I would guess so
they're favored today by 3 over the Celts

if Wash wins both of their remaining games - they top the NFC east no matter what else happens
if Wash loses to Carolina Sunday and the Eagles beat the Boys - Wash/Eagles - last game of season - will determine the NFC east winner - unless the Giants win their last 2
if the Boys beat the Eagles and Giants in their next 2 and Wash loses to Carolina and the Eagles the Boys are #1 NFC east
but if Wash wins one of the two and the Cowboys win 2 Wash will win the NFC east because they beat the Boys twice
if the Giants beat the Ravens and Cowboys and Wash loses either to Carolina or the Eagles the Giants are #1 NFC east because they beat Wash twice
if Wash loses 2 and the Giants and Eagles win 2 the Giants top the NFC east

if Wash doesn't win the next 2 whoever wins the NFC east will host a playoff game with a losing record...................................(-:\

did I miss something?.............................not sure...................but I don't think so
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 25, 2020
  • Jump to: