9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 29th, 2021 at 5:39:03 AM permalink
Not sure where I read it.... but Buffalo may play WFT at a neutral site. I have friend who is a long time WFT fan and we will definitely meet to go to the game... unless I am wrong about the 17th game.... and just dreamed that scenario?

Any football fan is aware of Deshaun Watson mess. If he was second string linebacker he’d be long out of the league by now. But as a star QB the mere 16 lawsuits against him ‘need to be investigated’. I think that this at least makes him untradeable. Houston will still want massive return, and that’s just too risky for the receiving team.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 29th, 2021 at 8:29:49 AM permalink
Serious props to Patriot OL Justin Herron for rescuing a seventy-one-year-old woman from an attempted rape. Mr. Herron was working out in a public park when he and another man heard cries for help. Rushing to the cries, they came across some scumbag trying to rape the woman. Confronted by the massive 6-5, 350 pound Herron, the man wisely chose not to attempt to escape and sat there waiting for the police to arrive.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
March 29th, 2021 at 11:18:52 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Not sure where I read it.... but Buffalo may play WFT at a neutral site.

Interesting. I hadn't considered the home and away part of a 17 game schedule. I would doubt the NFL is going to have some teams play 9 home games and others only 8. I don't see the owners ALL agreeing to that either. So will the solution be every team plays a neutral site game? I guess that would include the 4 or 5 international games, and maybe some games in cities that don't have a team. Sort of a traveling NFL circus. LOL.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 29th, 2021 at 12:23:12 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Interesting. I hadn't considered the home and away part of a 17 game schedule. I would doubt the NFL is going to have some teams play 9 home games and others only 8. I don't see the owners ALL agreeing to that either. So will the solution be every team plays a neutral site game? I guess that would include the 4 or 5 international games, and maybe some games in cities that don't have a team. Sort of a traveling NFL circus. LOL.

I think I also read (subsequently)ALL the games first year will be AFC home games. Thus there will be no competitive advantage as for getting into the playoffs AFC teams are only compared to other AFC teams! So ALL AFC teams will have 9 home games, and ALL NFC teams will have 8 home games. Great idea!

Of course, when more revenue is available, the NFL has no problem altering the formula with London, Toronto, Mexico City games....
billryan
billryan
March 29th, 2021 at 12:57:12 PM permalink
In the 1960s, the NBA used to play about a dozen neutral site games at Madison Square Garden. I attended one as a kid. The Pistons were one team, I'm not sure who the other was. Back then, the Ice Capades were a bigger draw than the NBA so the Knicks would get thrown out for the three weeks or so that the Ice Capades was there. I guess it was the same thruout the league.
Wilt Chamberlins 100 point game against the Kniks was in a neutral site- the Hershey Arena.

I'd love to see key matchups held in neutral stadiums. It won't happen as the logistics would be hard.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 31st, 2021 at 3:26:52 AM permalink

what a night Russell Westbrook had on 3/29 to help the Wizards beat the Pacers
35 points, 21 assists and 14 rebounds

he's one of only 3 to go 30-20-10 or over in NBA history - the other 2 are Oscar and Magic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/russell-westbrook-historic-triple-double/2021/03/29/3c8ec5f0-90c4-11eb-a74e-1f4cf89fd948_story.html

Please don't feed the trolls
FTB
FTB
  • Threads: 7
March 31st, 2021 at 7:12:32 AM permalink
All these retired boxers coming back... yeah, in my opinion, boxing isn’t what it used to be. So I understand why nostalgia is high and of course, the money is still there.

Yes, I watched Tyson-Jones. Now, Oscar de la Hoya, Miguel Cotto, Juan Manuel Marquez, Sergio Martinez, Floyd Mayweather, and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. (to name a few) are set to return or have already done so via real fight or exhibition bout.

But this is a brutal sport, exhibition or not. If the fans keep watching, they’ll keep unretiring.
Playing #DH Texas Poker# Texas Hold 'Em by Droid Hen Droidhen use referral code 8pjpdna
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 31st, 2021 at 7:14:46 AM permalink
Quote: FTB

All these retired boxers coming back... yeah, in my opinion, boxing isn’t what it used to be. So I understand why nostalgia is high and of course, the money is still there.

Yes, I watched Tyson-Jones. Now, Oscar de la Hoya, Miguel Cotto, Juan Manuel Marquez, Sergio Martinez, Floyd Mayweather, and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. (to name a few) are set to return or have already done so via real fight or exhibition bout.

But this is a brutal sport, exhibition or not. If the fans keep watching, they’ll keep unretiring.

I think it is sad but I don't blame any for doing it if someone is willing to pay them.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FTB
FTB
March 31st, 2021 at 7:49:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I think it is sad but I don't blame any for doing it if someone is willing to pay them.

What is the purpose of having commissions that sanction these bouts? The trainers are in the corners of the fighters to protect the fighters from themselves. But the commissions are there to protect the fighters too (and of course, to help avoid a tragedy in the ring and the lawsuit it would bring in the process).

Agreed, it is sad to see sometimes, especially watching one of your favorite fighters chasing that money or adrenaline rush again but getting embarrassed in the ring along the way. I realize I am being hypocritical because I still watch these car crashes as they unfold.

Brutal sport. Even more brutal politics behind the scenes as well.
Playing #DH Texas Poker# Texas Hold 'Em by Droid Hen Droidhen use referral code 8pjpdna
FTB
FTB
March 31st, 2021 at 7:49:56 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

what a night Russell Westbrook had on 3/29 to help the Wizards beat the Pacers
35 points, 21 assists and 14 rebounds

he's one of only 3 to go 30-20-10 or over in NBA history - the other 2 are Oscar and Magic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/russell-westbrook-historic-triple-double/2021/03/29/3c8ec5f0-90c4-11eb-a74e-1f4cf89fd948_story.html

But Westbrook will never win a championship as the main superstar on a team, let alone the Wizards.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 31st, 2021 at 8:05:47 AM permalink

But Westbrook will never win a championship as the main superstar on a team, let alone the Wizards.

He is not the ‘main superstar’ on the Wizards. Bradley Beal is. That being said, I LOVE watching Westbrook play. If he had a slightly better shot he would have been an all time great. I love his speed and aggression.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 1st, 2021 at 3:02:37 AM permalink

the NFL added one game to the regular season - it's now 17 games instead of 16
and pushed the Super Bowl back one week because of it

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/sports/football/nfl-adds-17th-regular-season-game.html

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
April 1st, 2021 at 9:37:18 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

the NFL added one game to the regular season - it's now 17 games instead of 16
and pushed the Super Bowl back one week because of it

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/sports/football/nfl-adds-17th-regular-season-game.html

The article says: "To make room for the extra game, the NFL removed 1 pre-season game". That is not exactly true. If that were true the NFL season would start when week 4 of preseason used to be played, which is labor day weekend. That is NOT what they did. week 3 of preseason is now labor day weekend. So they extended everything a week further into February. Doesn't that make the superbowl on a holiday weekend, president's day?

Back when it was a 16 game schedule, played in 16 weeks, the superbowl used to be last weekend in January. When they went to 17 game schedule with each team playing 16 games and 1 bye, everything got pushed back a week to superbowl first sunday in february, and now 17 games in 18 weeks, pushed back again, to 2nd week in February. Soon football will run into March Madness and baseball season.

I think the thing to do would have been to start the regular season on Labor day weekend (when preseason game 4 used to be played) but it appears the NFL used to start on labor day back in the 80's and the stadiums were half empty with people doing labor day weekend stuff.
DRich
DRich
April 1st, 2021 at 9:37:45 AM permalink

What is the purpose of having commissions that sanction these bouts? The trainers are in the corners of the fighters to protect the fighters from themselves. But the commissions are there to protect the fighters too (and of course, to help avoid a tragedy in the ring and the lawsuit it would bring in the process).

Agreed, it is sad to see sometimes, especially watching one of your favorite fighters chasing that money or adrenaline rush again but getting embarrassed in the ring along the way. I realize I am being hypocritical because I still watch these car crashes as they unfold.

Brutal sport. Even more brutal politics behind the scenes as well.

I think most of these fights are not sanctioned so the commissions are not involved. I know the Tyson "fight" wasn't even a fight, it was an "exhibition".
DRich
DRich
April 1st, 2021 at 9:38:59 AM permalink

The article says: "To make room for the extra game, the NFL removed 1 pre-season game". That is not exactly true. If that were true the NFL season would start when week 4 of preseason used to be played, which is labor day weekend. That is NOT what they did. week 3 of preseason is now labor day weekend. So they extended everything a week further into February. Doesn't that make the superbowl on a holiday weekend, president's day?

Hopefully they will not take the extra week off between the conference games and the Super Bowl.
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2021 at 10:54:10 AM permalink
I have not seen anything about the players getting an extra paycheck. Playing an extra game each year decreases a player's longevity.
When I started watching the NFL, rushing for 1,000 yards in a season was quite an achievement. Now it means you averaged 60 yards rushing per game.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 1st, 2021 at 11:10:19 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I have not seen anything about the players getting an extra paycheck. Playing an extra game each year decreases a player's longevity.
When I started watching the NFL, rushing for 1,000 yards in a season was quite an achievement. Now it means you averaged 60 yards rushing per game.

It doesn’t mean too much that you haven’t seen it. That information is out there with a simple use of Google, and much of it was widely reported a couple years ago when the new CBA was negotiated.

In a high level sense there is more for the players. There were incentives related to the revenue percentage that goes to salary cap that kick in upon a 17 game schedule and new TV deal.

Lots of players thought it wasn’t enough. The new CBA just barely passed the player vote.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 1st, 2021 at 11:19:41 AM permalink

Only if Washington's Birthday (that's the "official" name of the federal holiday) is on 2/15, which happens, on average, once every 7 years. It happened in 2021, and will happen again in 2027, 2038, 2044, and 2049. The Super Bowl will be on the second Sunday in February, which is February 8-14; Washington's Birthday is the third Monday, which is February 15-21.

I have a feeling the reason they didn't move the start of the season back to Labor Day weekend is, pretty much every FBS college football team starts its season that weekend, and since it's a holiday weekend, some do play on that Sunday/Monday.

Hopefully they will not take the extra week off between the conference games and the Super Bowl.

The NFL has tried that in the past, and what usually happened was, whatever buildup there was for the game seemed to go away. The Pro Bowl is still scheduled for the week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.
DRich
DRich
April 1st, 2021 at 11:48:49 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

The NFL has tried that in the past, and what usually happened was, whatever buildup there was for the game seemed to go away. The Pro Bowl is still scheduled for the week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

I know, and I personally hate it. I realize they will do whatever projects the most money. As a sports fan that two weeks off is very tedious and I get tired of hearing about the game when they could be playing it.
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2021 at 11:55:41 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

It doesn’t mean too much that you haven’t seen it. That information is out there with a simple use of Google, and much of it was widely reported a couple years ago when the new CBA was negotiated.

In a high level sense there is more for the players. There were incentives related to the revenue percentage that goes to salary cap that kick in upon a 17 game schedule and new TV deal.

Lots of players thought it wasn’t enough. The new CBA just barely passed the player vote.

All that I see is that the players' share of total revenue increased slightly, nowhere near an extra game check.
unJon
unJon
April 1st, 2021 at 12:05:54 PM permalink

All that I see is that the players' share of total revenue increased slightly, nowhere near an extra game check.

Correct. Somewhere between 1/3 to 1/4 of a game check under the assumptions I’ve seen. Like I said, there is plenty of information out there on it. It was debated and reported pretty widely if you follow that stuff back when the CBA was negotiated.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2021 at 1:22:11 PM permalink
Sounds like the players got hoodwinked once again. More risk, less reward.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 1st, 2021 at 1:35:15 PM permalink

I have a feeling the reason they didn't move the start of the season back to Labor Day weekend is, pretty much every FBS college football team starts its season that weekend, and since it's a holiday weekend, some do play on that Sunday/Monday.

Right now, only two games are scheduled on that Sunday/Monday - Notre Dame vs Florida State, and Mississippi vs Louisville - and I suppose that if the NFL begged and pleaded (and threw some money in their general direction), it could get the schools to move those games to Saturday night.
On the other hand, it could involve juggling any planned schedule, as some of the NFL stadiums may already be in use that weekend - for example, Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta is hosting Alabama vs. Miami that Saturday, while AT&T Stadium in Arlington is hosting Stanford vs. Kansas State.
I wouldn't be surprised if, now that everybody knows that it's happening and has plenty of time to allow for it, they do start the regular season on Labor Day weekend in 2022.

And here's an unintended consequence: I have a lot of feeling that, in 2027, a lot of Valentine's Day dinners are either going to turn into lunches (especially out west) or a lot of restaurants are going to open for dinner at 4:30 that day.
unJon
unJon
April 1st, 2021 at 1:42:32 PM permalink

Sounds like the players got hoodwinked once again. More risk, less reward.

I don’t know if hoodwinked is the right word. It was heavily debated. I think the closest vote ever to pass. Almost didn’t pass.
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2021 at 2:20:06 PM permalink

I don’t know if hoodwinked is the right word. It was heavily debated. I think the closest vote ever to pass. Almost didn’t pass.

Hornswaggled?
unJon
unJon
April 1st, 2021 at 2:29:18 PM permalink

Hornswaggled?

nah. Maybe railroaded.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 1st, 2021 at 3:02:35 PM permalink

You all have it wrong. The players really don’t get ‘game checks’ in the normal sense. Players (as a total, not any individual) get a defined percentage of the total gross revenue that the league makes. When revenue increases as it most certainly will converting a 4th preseason game to a regular season game, the amount of money paid to players will increase as well. Just wait until you see the contracts given out next year. When the salary cap goes up there will be an explosion in contract size. The players did not give any money back during the fan-less pandemic.
unJon
unJon
April 1st, 2021 at 3:17:25 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

You all have it wrong. The players really don’t get ‘game checks’ in the normal sense. Players (as a total, not any individual) get a defined percentage of the total gross revenue that the league makes. When revenue increases as it most certainly will converting a 4th preseason game to a regular season game, the amount of money paid to players will increase as well. Just wait until you see the contracts given out next year. When the salary cap goes up there will be an explosion in contract size. The players did not give any money back during the fan-less pandemic.

I understand and that’s what we’ve been posting about. Assuming next tv contract hits it out of the park, the salary cap goes from 48% to 48.8% of revenue. And assume revenue goes up 20% (seems generous adding 1/16 more games). That’s an increase of 0.96% of revenue for the salary cap. Call it 1% to be easy. Call revenue about $15b (approximately right). That’s $150m more of cap room or $4,687,500 per team.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
April 1st, 2021 at 5:59:00 PM permalink
The thing is, considering the average NFL career is 2 1/2 years, a good number of players will be playing an extra game this year without getting paid for it, but will never see any of the increased cap in the years to come. I agree that as a whole, the players will make more. But individually, many indeed will have gotten 'hornswaggled.'
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2021 at 6:13:38 PM permalink

I understand and that’s what we’ve been posting about. Assuming next tv contract hits it out of the park, the salary cap goes from 48% to 48.8% of revenue. And assume revenue goes up 20% (seems generous adding 1/16 more games). That’s an increase of 0.96% of revenue for the salary cap. Call it 1% to be easy. Call revenue about $15b (approximately right). That’s $150m more of cap room or $4,687,500 per team.

If a team has sixty players under contract, that's about $80,000 per player.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 3rd, 2021 at 2:09:43 AM permalink

we don't talk much here about women's college basketball but it keeps getting better and better and more entertaining

last night Arizona topped UConn to advance to the title game against Stanford - a tremendous upset for the Wildcats

if you happen not to know how dominant UConn has been in women's basketball take a look at this:

"The UConn Huskies are the most successful women's basketball program in the nation, having won a record 11 NCAA Division I National Championships and a women's record four in a row, from 2013 through 2016,[3] plus over 50 conference regular season and tournament championships. They have taken part in every NCAA Tournament since 1989; as of the end of the 2018–19 season, this is the third-longest active streak in Division I.[4]

UConn owns the two longest winning streaks (men's or women's) in college basketball history. The longest streak, 111 straight wins, started with a win against Creighton on November 23, 2014, and ended on March 31, 2017 when a buzzer-beater at the end of overtime caused a 66–64 loss in the 2017 NCAA Final Four to Mississippi State.[5] The second streak counts 90 consecutive wins, including two undefeated seasons (2008–09 and 2009–10), and was delimited by two losses against Stanford, the first on April 6, 2008 in the National Semifinals of the NCAA Tournament, and the second – three seasons later – on December 19, 2010.[6] The Huskies also own the longest winning streak in regular-season games in college history; after an overtime loss to Stanford on November 17, 2014, they won their next 126 regular-season games until a 68–57 loss to Baylor on January 3, 2019.[7]

UConn's current head coach is Luigi "Geno" Auriemma, who joined the team in 1985. Coach Auriemma is one of the best coaches in college basketball: his 1091–142 (.885) record as of March 2020 represents the highest winning percentage among NCAA basketball coaches (minimum 10 seasons), any level, men's or women's,[8] while ranking him third in all-time women's wins behind former Tennessee coach Pat Summitt"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/03/sports/ncaabasketball/arizona-uconn-ncaa.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 3rd, 2021 at 5:03:38 PM permalink
I asked a friend about this thread topic and he mentioned the name Calvin Murphy:
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/35800-which-is-more-likely/3/#post801029
He described what a great player he was. He is a BBall HOF and is #5 on the consecutive free throw record list with 78 in a row. But the tidbit that caught my attention was he was also an amazing baton twirler. (poor audio/video in the YT link)
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
April 3rd, 2021 at 8:58:57 PM permalink
I’m thinking tonight’s Zags win will go down as one of the greatest college basketball games of all times. Totally numbing ending.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 4th, 2021 at 2:20:29 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

I’m thinking tonight’s Zags win will go down as one of the greatest college basketball games of all times. Totally numbing ending.

they got the W - but UCLA tested them - they needed a 40 foot buzzer beater to get it done

Zags right now favored by 4½ over Baylor

Keeneone
Keeneone
April 4th, 2021 at 11:48:20 AM permalink
It was a wonderful game to watch. I really thought UCLA would burn their final time out with ~7-8 seconds left in regulation. Both coaches really utilized their time outs to set up the offense down the stretch. Monday morning QBing for sure.

Should make for a solid Championship game tomorrow.
Pre-season #1 and #2 ranked teams (AP and Coaches):
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/week/1/year/2021/seasontype/2
Gonzaga -4.5 O/U 159.5
billryan
billryan
April 4th, 2021 at 1:32:05 PM permalink
I'd read online that Arizona was in the final four and didn't understand why there wasn't more about it locally. Then I realized it was the women's final four and it made more sense.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 4th, 2021 at 3:50:28 PM permalink
Obtain going both ways today
I love it
Starting pitcher and DH
He likes it
Says it gives him more confidence as he can use his arm and bat to try to get the win
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 4th, 2021 at 5:55:23 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Obtain going both ways today
I love it
Starting pitcher and DH
He likes it
Says it gives him more confidence as he can use his arm and bat to try to get the win

1st inning, he gets the side out with no runs
bottom of 1st, hes 2nd in the order. 1st pitch, Home Run.
wow
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
DRich
DRich
April 4th, 2021 at 7:00:52 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

1st inning, he gets the side out with no runs
bottom of 1st, hes 2nd in the order. 1st pitch, Home Run.
wow

First starting pitcher in A.L. to hit home run in about 50 years.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 5th, 2021 at 8:34:19 AM permalink
UCLA-Gonzaga was one of the best college BB games I've ever seen. The game winning shot with 0.5 seconds left in OT (a bank shot off the backboard from 40 feet away) will tend to overshadow in people's memories the many great plays that both teams made and the sustained greatness and drama throughout the game. The pace of the play, the great defenses and great shot-making were tremendous.

At least in the pre-game yakkity-yak, the Gonzaga-Baylor game is a classic; the teams that have been ranked #1 and #2 for the entire season. Both teams looked "all time great" in their semi-final games but in completely different ways: Baylor by utterly dominating a a very good Houston team and Gonzaga by over-coming a relentless and unstoppable UCLA team after 45 minutes of extremely high quality play. I hope this final game lives up to expectations, especially after we had so many dreadful games in the Elite Eight round.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2021 at 10:49:57 AM permalink

First starting pitcher in A.L. to hit home run in about 50 years.

Isn't he the first starting pitcher in the AL to actually bat?
The stat I find most interesting is he didn't finish the fifth inning., so they had to use two players to replace him.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 5th, 2021 at 11:00:12 AM permalink

The stat I find most interesting is he didn't finish the fifth inning., so they had to use two players to replace him.

? - in professional baseball, if a team starts without a DH, it can't use one for the rest of the game, even if the pitcher is replaced. The "replacing a batting pitcher with separate pitcher and DH players" rule is only in college and high school, I think. There is no mention of the Angels using a DH in the game in the box score.
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2021 at 11:03:49 AM permalink

? - in professional baseball, if a team starts without a DH, it can't use one for the rest of the game, even if the pitcher is replaced. The "replacing a batting pitcher with separate pitcher and DH players" rule is only in college and high school, I think. There is no mention of the Angels using a DH in the game in the box score.

Did the pitcher who replaced him bat, or was he pinch hit for? I see AP was used as a pinch hitter, so I assume it was for the pitcher.
If Ohtani is removed from the game as a pitcher, is he allowed to stay on as a hitter?
A nightmare scenario- Ohanti starts and doesn't get out of the first inning. Are the Angels now going to be forced to use pinch hitters every time the pitcher's spot comes up? He was batting second yesterday, so him leaving early puts a pitcher into the #2 spot in the lineup, as I understand it. Perhaps I'm misreading the situation, so if I am, please straighten me out. When the Yankees were thinking of signing him for the second time, someone in NY wrote an article explaining the dangers of letting the SP bat and how it could hurt the team if he left early.
For those who may not know this or have forgotten, the Yankees made a big play for Ohanti right out of high school, but at the last minute, he decided to play in Japan for a few years.
Last edited by: billryan on Apr 5, 2021
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 5th, 2021 at 11:30:33 AM permalink

Did the pitcher who replaced him bat, or was he pinch hit for? I see AP was used as a pinch hitter, so I assume it was for the pitcher.
If Ohtani is removed from the game as a pitcher, is he allowed to stay on as a hitter?

Only if he was moved to another position on defense. A pitcher that starts the game in the batting order is now treated the same way as, say, the catcher.

Also, Ohtani had been taken out of the game by the time his spot in the batting order came up; Pujols was pinch-hitting for Cishek, who had come in to replace Ohtani.

A nightmare scenario- Ohanti starts and doesn't get out of the first inning. Are the Angels now going to be forced to use pinch hitters every time the pitcher's spot comes up?

Yes - well, that, or have the pitchers bat; remember that each time a PH is used, the removed player is now out of the game and cannot return.
Keeneone
Keeneone
April 6th, 2021 at 11:24:06 AM permalink
I am generally fine with all the new sports uniforms being created, but there are some I do not care for. Like this one:
https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-release-patriots-day-inspired-city-connect-uniforms

I prefer when teams stick with the traditional colors of the franchise.
billryan
billryan
April 6th, 2021 at 1:14:10 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

I am generally fine with all the new sports uniforms being created, but there are some I do not care for. Like this one:
https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-release-patriots-day-inspired-city-connect-uniforms

I prefer when teams stick with the traditional colors of the franchise.

That looks like a bar league softball uniform.
billryan
billryan
April 6th, 2021 at 1:21:58 PM permalink

Only if he was moved to another position on defense. A pitcher that starts the game in the batting order is now treated the same way as, say, the catcher.

Also, Ohtani had been taken out of the game by the time his spot in the batting order came up; Pujols was pinch-hitting for Cishek, who had come in to replace Ohtani.

Yes - well, that, or have the pitchers bat; remember that each time a PH is used, the removed player is now out of the game and cannot return.

Years ago, Billy Martin brought in a position player to pitch, which wasn't all that unusual but then he had him switch positions with the right fielder so one guy faced lefties and the other faced righties. I'd never see that before and didn't know a pitcher could move to another position and then return to the mound.
On a similar note- My Uncle took me to a doubleheader at the old Yankee Stadium and the Yankees fell behind 8-0 in the first game. About the sixth inning, they put in Rocky Colavito to pitch so they could save their pitchers for the second game. Yankees scored a couple of runs to make it close and then won the game in the ninth, making Rocky the last position player to win a game for decades before someone did it in the early 2000s.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 6th, 2021 at 1:23:25 PM permalink
please delete

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 6th, 2021 at 5:02:46 PM permalink
Tatis, signs $340 million guaranteed contract. Went down in agony hurting shoulder. Probably good as new after a month or two.... possibly not! Shoulders are a tricky joint.... and super important for a baseball swing.... I wish no one an injury, but I do like teams to be punished for guaranteeing so much money over such a long period of time....
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 6th, 2021 at 5:58:43 PM permalink
Here's some college sports news:

Stanford's NCAA women's basketball championship means the school's streak of winning at least one NCAA championship per (school) year is at 45 and counting.

On the other hand, 2020-21 will be the first time Stanford did not qualify for the NCAA women's volleyball tournament, which began in 1981-82. The fact that it played only three home matches - one against Cal, which was close enough to Stanford to get around Santa Clara County's mandatory quarantine for anybody entering from more than 150 miles away, and two against Arizona State when the quarantine was lifted in March - and went 0-7 on the road may have had something to do with it.
  • Jump to: