9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 28th, 2021 at 8:10:25 PM permalink
Another wild finish at Daytona. Nice to see Blaney get his second win in a row. Reddick sneaks into the last playoff spot. Playoffs start next week.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 30th, 2021 at 10:03:08 AM permalink
ESPN showed a high school football game this weekend that ended up in 58-0 route. IMG, a Florida" school" that is really a finishing school for future pros romped over an Ohio school that the announcers initially praised as having several future Division One players and at one point talked about the schools long tradition.
All total bullspit.
It turns out that the school is not affiliated with any Ohio football conference, is an online school only, just started its football program last year and went 0-6 in their first and only season.
Even more damning is that a school with the same name and many players with similar names on the roster played and lost a game in Ohio on Friday so the players were playing their second game in 72 hours, a violation of both Florida and Ohio regulations.
Somebody, somewhere, was either deceived by representatives of the school, or knew the facts and decided to showcase IMG anyway.

ESPN released this statement today:
“We regret that this happened and have discussed it with Paragon, which secured the matchup and handles the majority of our high school event scheduling. They have ensured us that they will take steps to prevent this kind of situation from happening moving forward.”
Last edited by: billryan on Aug 30, 2021
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FastEddie
FastEddie
  • Threads: 0
August 30th, 2021 at 10:17:45 AM permalink
I stopped watching ESPN decades ago when they dropped Legends of Pool and Figure 8 Car Races.
FastEddie
FastEddie
August 30th, 2021 at 10:17:55 AM permalink
I stopped watching ESPN decades ago when they dropped Legends of Pool and Figure 8 Car Races.
FastEddie
FastEddie
August 30th, 2021 at 10:17:55 AM permalink
Duplicate Sorry
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
  • Threads: 232
September 14th, 2021 at 3:22:53 AM permalink

looks like Max Scherzer likes being with the Dodgers
since he joined them he's 6-0 with a 0.88 ERA
he just got his 3,000th strikeout
what a ballplayer that guy is - a joy to watch

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
September 14th, 2021 at 6:42:58 AM permalink
That Ravens vs Raiders game last night was the best NFL game that I have seen in a while.
billryan
billryan
September 14th, 2021 at 6:45:24 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

That Ravens vs Raiders game last night was the best NFL game that I have seen in a while.

• link to original post

How were the Mannings?
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    unJon
    unJon
    • Threads: 14
    September 14th, 2021 at 6:47:17 AM permalink
    Quote: billryan

• link to original post

How were the Mannings?
  • link to original post

I tried the Mannings and thought it was awful. Switched back to the regular commentators.
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 6:50:34 AM permalink
    They had different audio channels?
    I haven't watched MNF in years, as RAW and my comic auction are both on at the same time, so unless it's the Giants I don't watch it.
    unJon
    unJon
    September 14th, 2021 at 6:54:33 AM permalink

They had different audio channels?
    I haven't watched MNF in years, as RAW and my comic auction are both on at the same time, so unless it's the Giants I don't watch it.

• link to original post

Manning’s we’re on ESPN2 and the regular commentators were I think on ABC (or whichever of the major networks it was on).
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
    DRich
    DRich
    September 14th, 2021 at 10:27:36 AM permalink

• link to original post

How were the Mannings?
  • link to original post

I'm not sure that I have seen them since their last snaps in the NFL.
    DRich
    DRich
    September 14th, 2021 at 10:28:23 AM permalink

• link to original post

How were the Mannings?
  • link to original post

billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 11:08:19 AM permalink

• link to original post

How were the Mannings?
  • link to original post

• link to original post

I thought they were the announcing team for the game but evidently they were on a secondary channel.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster 
    Thanked by
    smoothgrh
    September 22nd, 2021 at 2:52:31 AM permalink

remarkable MLB story - Anthony Gose, a career outfielder has switched to pitching at age 31 and is -

𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙤𝙬𝙞𝙣𝙜 100 𝙢𝙥𝙝 𝙛𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙗𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨

billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 7:19:04 AM permalink
    Quote: lilredrooster

remarkable MLB story - Anthony Gose, a career outfielder has switched to pitching at age 31 and is -

𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙤𝙬𝙞𝙣𝙜 100 𝙢𝙥𝙝 𝙛𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙗𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨

• link to original post

What is amazing about this story is the guy had earned close to two million dollars in his career, yet chose to go back to the minors , with their eight hour bus rides and minimum wage salaries to learn his new craft. I hope he succeeds.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 2:45:33 PM permalink
    https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-betting-bettor-cashes-out-turns-free-25-bet-into-133-k-via-16-leg-parlay-143603151.html

MGM let him cash out after 15 wins, on a 16 card ticket.
    DRich
    DRich
    September 22nd, 2021 at 2:53:57 PM permalink

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-betting-bettor-cashes-out-turns-free-25-bet-into-133-k-via-16-leg-parlay-143603151.html

• link to original post

That is awesome. He got a nice win and BetMGM gets great publicity. Win-Win
    billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 3:06:30 PM permalink

• link to original post

• link to original post

They also avoided losing another $600,000 had he hit the 16th game
    DRich
    DRich
    September 22nd, 2021 at 3:11:02 PM permalink

• link to original post

• link to original post

They also avoided losing another $600,000 had he hit the 16th game
  • link to original post

Absolutely, and still got the good press. Of course, the bet would have lost as he had the Detroit Lions so in theory they paid out $133k for the good press.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 3:12:22 PM permalink
    The Angels haven't fared well despite Shohei Ohtani's exploits
    While his 45th shot was a monumental feat for "Showtime" Ohtani, it etched him into the record books alongside another heavy slugger Sammy Sosa, for something less than stellar: Ohtani and Sosa are now the only players in MLB history to have 13 games where they've homered in but resulted in a loss by four or more runs. Sosa did it in 1999
    DRich
    DRich
    September 22nd, 2021 at 3:14:07 PM permalink

The Angels haven't fared well despite Shohei Ohtani's exploits
    While his 45th shot was a monumental feat for "Showtime" Ohtani, it etched him into the record books alongside another heavy slugger Sammy Sosa, for something less than stellar: Ohtani and Sosa are now the only players in MLB history to have 13 games where they've homered in but resulted in a loss by four or more runs. Sosa did it in 1999

• link to original post

It amazes me how even when Ohtani and Mike Trout do well they still seem to lose.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster 
    September 26th, 2021 at 4:46:54 AM permalink

wow - nice game today - TV - Fox _______ 4:25_____ Bucs at Rams
    it opened with the Rams faved by 2.5 but got crunched to Bucs - 1 or 1.5
    really nice free entertainment - going out now to get my popcorn

Stafford has a much higher QB rating for his first 2 games this year than his average over past years
    we'll soon find out if that's for real - I would tend to doubt that he will be able to keep it up

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 26, 2021
    smoothgrh
    smoothgrh
    • Threads: 87
    September 26th, 2021 at 9:20:37 PM permalink
    Does anyone in Las Vegas root for the Raiders aside from its economic boost?

It's great for me that they're in Vegas because I no longer have a local television blackout because a non-sellout game.

On a related note, last season when I watched the first Las Vegas Raiders game, I got excited about seeing all the Vegas sights during the commercial "bumper" video clips. I noticed that during today's game (Raiders give up an early 14-0 lead to Dolphins, score 25 unanswered points, wind up in overtime, and win), CBS didn't show any local shots of Las Vegas.

I used to gripe that CBS never showed any local shots of Oakland (only S.F.) until Fox got the NFL rights and actually showed local Oakland neighborhoods. Then CBS followed.

Was there a decision to not give Las Vegas free marketing?
    smoothgrh
    smoothgrh
    September 26th, 2021 at 10:29:23 PM permalink
    I'll just put this out there:

NFL
    1974-2011 3.4% OT games ended in tie
    2012-2016 (modified sudden death) 6.0% OT games ended in tie
    2017-week 3 2021 (10-minute OT) 7.6% OT games ended in tie
    DRich
    DRich
    Thanked by
    smoothgrhDeMango
    September 27th, 2021 at 9:51:30 AM permalink
    Quote: smoothgrh

Does anyone in Las Vegas root for the Raiders aside from its economic boost?

It's great for me that they're in Vegas because I no longer have a local television blackout because a non-sellout game.

On a related note, last season when I watched the first Las Vegas Raiders game, I got excited about seeing all the Vegas sights during the commercial "bumper" video clips. I noticed that during today's game (Raiders give up an early 14-0 lead to Dolphins, score 25 unanswered points, wind up in overtime, and win), CBS didn't show any local shots of Las Vegas.

I used to gripe that CBS never showed any local shots of Oakland (only S.F.) until Fox got the NFL rights and actually showed local Oakland neighborhoods. Then CBS followed.

Was there a decision to not give Las Vegas free marketing?

• link to original post

Surprisingly, I am finding myself rooting for them. I would have never expected that and I would have thought I would be rooting against them. I have no idea what changed.
    smoothgrh
    smoothgrh
    September 28th, 2021 at 1:45:54 PM permalink

Surprisingly, I am finding myself rooting for them. I would have never expected that and I would have thought I would be rooting against them. I have no idea what changed.

• link to original post

That the Raiders are winning is helping them build a fan following. They're 3-0 for the first time since 2002!
    mwalz9
    mwalz9
    • Threads: 52
    September 28th, 2021 at 2:01:54 PM permalink
    I'm a die hard lifetime Steelers fan as I live in West Virginia. I was born and raised this way.

Vegas, however, is my favorite city on the planet. I still root for the Steelers first and foremost, but I do find myself liking watching the Raiders and Golden Knights both succeed. Hopefully, one day before I die, Vegas is home to me.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster 
    October 3rd, 2021 at 8:43:52 AM permalink

going with Washington/Falcons under 47.5

Wash has averaged 17.5 in its first 4 games
    Falcons have averaged 14.5

Wash has shown a porous defense - giving up a lot of points

still - the total seems really high to me

GLTA

lilredrooster
    lilredrooster 
    October 3rd, 2021 at 12:57:44 PM permalink

going with Washington/Falcons under 47.5

Wash has averaged 17.5 in its first 4 games
    Falcons have averaged 14.5

Wash has shown a porous defense - giving up a lot of points

still - the total seems really high to me

GLTA

• link to original post

this was the worst pick I've ever made in my life
    not only did I get creamed I averaged the points wrong
    my excuse - taking cold medicine - scrambled my brain

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 3, 2021
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 4th, 2021 at 1:24:04 PM permalink
    Haven't been a fan since they signed the dog killer, but the plight of the Steelers is interesting to follow as a sports bettor not a fan.

They are awful. Their only win is what can be called a "phony win." They cannot get out of their own way. But here is the thing. They are 1-3 while the rest of the division is 3-1. That is not unusual for one team to be way back in a strong division. Now, this is almost 25% of the season so far. Looking at this team I see a team that has already written off the season. Seeing it in their eyes on the sidelines. Lost what now, 8 of the last 9 games?

Ben is almost surely in his last season. The defense is getting beat in the secondary regularly. It all really reminds me of how they looked in the 80s.

The question is, how much value in betting against? Denver is a 1.5 dog on Sunday last I looked. Is there value in spotting the collapse early?
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    DRich
    DRich
    October 4th, 2021 at 1:47:30 PM permalink
    Are we officially seeing the reincarnation of Wendell Scott?
    redietz
    redietz
    • Threads: 49
    October 5th, 2021 at 11:40:45 AM permalink
    Note from last weekend:

I was having a wonderful day until my co-biggest wager of Oregon -7 (great line because I shop 'til I drop). 'Nuff said.

The various algorithms made the Monday news because with 1:50 to play, Oregon was assigned a 99.9% probability of winning the game.

MDawg emailed me with 1:50 left to go in the game and said he was live-betting the farm on Stanford. I guess I should have listened. He was probably too modest to post that himself, so I did it for him.
    "You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
    unJon
    unJon
    October 5th, 2021 at 12:56:47 PM permalink
    Quote: redietz

Note from last weekend:

I was having a wonderful day until my co-biggest wager of Oregon -7 (great line because I shop 'til I drop). 'Nuff said.

The various algorithms made the Monday news because with 1:50 to play, Oregon was assigned a 99.9% probability of winning the game.

MDawg emailed me with 1:50 left to go in the game and said he was live-betting the farm on Stanford. I guess I should have listened. He was probably too modest to post that himself, so I did it for him.

• link to original post

That was a very good line!

As to the rest, a forum is just the sum of the contributions of the posts made. You have a lot of knowledge and wisdom (and great stories) on sports betting you could share if you chose. Instead of choosing snark.
    redietz
    redietz
    • Threads: 49
    Thanked by
    unJon
    October 5th, 2021 at 6:52:28 PM permalink
    Well, the reason for snark is that a gambling forum, which is the sum of its contributors and mods and owner, can choose to have real people with real experiences telling real stories or it can choose fictional narration with adventures that mathematically are from somewhere beyond the Kuiper Belt.

The fact that this forum has chosen the latter is, from the standpoint of actual lifetime winning gamblers, snarky to the nth. For those of us who have learned and grinded and learned some more, it's all a bit of an abomination of priorities.
    "You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
    unJon
    unJon
    October 6th, 2021 at 6:00:41 AM permalink
    I hear there may be a planet 9 as massive as Neptune out in the Kupier Belt.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster 
    October 6th, 2021 at 4:37:28 PM permalink

you can see from this data compiled by Mr. Wizard that in tracking a little over 2,000 NFL games he found that road dogs were profitable by 2.5%

that's not a high % - certainly not enough to bet with a great deal of joy

but if you also notice the road picks - 59 outcomes - they were profitable by 13.25%________but probably not enough outcomes to be decisive

so, anyway, I'm wondering if you tracked the road dogs who got less than 4 points would their profitability be quite a bit higher?

that would take a lot of data crunching - I certainly couldn't do it - and I'm not asking anybody to do it

just wondering

AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 7th, 2021 at 3:07:20 AM permalink

so, anyway, I'm wondering if you tracked the road dogs who got less than 4 points would their profitability be quite a bit higher?

that would take a lot of data crunching - I certainly couldn't do it - and I'm not asking anybody to do it

just wondering

My thought is this happens because of the traditional 3 points you give the home team. Note that I have heard bookies do not add 3 to the power rating as blindly as they once did. But lets do take an example from this week because well I am just informed on this game.

Denver is 3-1, Pittsburgh is 1-3 with the 1 win arguably a "phony win." Denver is 60 net points better. Yet Denver is getting 1 point, down from 1.5 on the early line on which I jumped on sensing it would move.

Do not tell me the Steelers are not getting some points for just home field advantage here. IMHO home field advantage is an advantage for good teams. Otherwise it is minimal. The Steelers are not a good team this year. So there is value in taking the less than 4 point road dog.

But blindly probably not so much.
    unJon
    unJon
    October 7th, 2021 at 4:53:04 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

My thought is this happens because of the traditional 3 points you give the home team. Note that I have heard bookies do not add 3 to the power rating as blindly as they once did. But lets do take an example from this week because well I am just informed on this game.

Denver is 3-1, Pittsburgh is 1-3 with the 1 win arguably a "phony win." Denver is 60 net points better. Yet Denver is getting 1 point, down from 1.5 on the early line on which I jumped on sensing it would move.

Do not tell me the Steelers are not getting some points for just home field advantage here. IMHO home field advantage is an advantage for good teams. Otherwise it is minimal. The Steelers are not a good team this year. So there is value in taking the less than 4 point road dog.

• link to original post

Is Bridgewater going to play?
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 7th, 2021 at 4:56:55 AM permalink
    Quote: unJon

• link to original post

• link to original post

Haven't heard but really does not matter, Steeler offense cannot get out of its own way.
    unJon
    unJon
    October 7th, 2021 at 4:59:14 AM permalink

• link to original post

• link to original post

Haven't heard but really does not matter, Steeler offense cannot get out of its own way.
  • link to original post

Wow. I think it matters a great deal. And re: offense, that’s why the total is below 40.

Anyway, good luck, though as a Steelers fan I hope you lose any bet you make on the Broncos.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 7th, 2021 at 6:11:55 AM permalink

• link to original post

• link to original post

• link to original post

Wow. I think it matters a great deal. And re: offense, that’s why the total is below 40.

Anyway, good luck, though as a Steelers fan I hope you lose any bet you make on the Broncos.
  • link to original post

I was a huge Steeler fan until they signed Vick. Now I just care about point spreads and moneylines. Makes life more peaceful.

Steelers are probably on their way to 5-12.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    • Threads: 39
    October 7th, 2021 at 8:46:10 AM permalink

• link to original post

I have never emailed REDietz, and have never contacted him about this.
    I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    Thanked by
    MDawg
    October 7th, 2021 at 10:25:12 AM permalink
    Quote: MDawg

• link to original post

• link to original post

I guess it was his way of insinuating all your other claims were not to be believed. I’m really surprised he hasn’t been suspended for it.
    Wizard
    Administrator
    Wizard
    • Threads: 1493
    Thanked by
    gordonm888
    October 10th, 2021 at 1:40:34 PM permalink
    Quote: MDawg

link to original post

Quote: SOOPOO

I guess it was his way of insinuating all your other claims were not to be believed. I’m really surprised he hasn’t been suspended for it.
    link to original post

It would seem that either REDietz or MDawg is not telling the truth about the alleged Email. I feel I can't take any action here, because I don't police REDietz's Email account. However, the fact that he hasn't voluntarily produced the Email indicates to me which side is not being truthful.
    "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    October 10th, 2021 at 8:06:14 PM permalink
    Saturday may have had 3 of the best college games (rivalry, rankings, quality of play, comebacks, sub QB heroics) ever on a single day. Texas/Oklahoma. Alabama/Texas A & M. Mississippi/Arkansas. And that doesn’t even count Iowa/Penn State.

Plus apparently Fury/Wilder fight was an instant classic.
    DRich
    DRich
    October 11th, 2021 at 6:26:58 AM permalink
    Quote: SOOPOO

Saturday may have had 3 of the best college games (rivalry, rankings, quality of play, comebacks, sub QB heroics) ever on a single day. Texas/Oklahoma. Alabama/Texas A & M. Mississippi/Arkansas. And that doesn’t even count Iowa/Penn State.

Plus apparently Fury/Wilder fight was an instant classic.
    link to original post

I did not see the Ark/Miss game live, but when I did watch it I came to a conclusion. I WAS WRONG. I thought Arkansas was a complete phoney team this year, I guess I was just used to Arkansas of the last 10 years. They are truly an above average team this year and I am happy for them.

WOO PIG SOOIE
    Jimmy2Times
    Jimmy2Times
    • Threads: 2
    October 11th, 2021 at 4:07:57 PM permalink
    RIP Tony DeMarco - a tough as nails welterweight who fought them all (Kid Gavilan, Carmen Basilio, Johnny Saxton, Denny Moore, Gaspar Ortego to name a few). Mr. DeMarco was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2019.
    I 'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    • Threads: 60
    October 11th, 2021 at 5:36:15 PM permalink
    Quote: Jimmy2Times

RIP Tony DeMarco - a tough as nails welterweight who fought them all (Kid Gavilan, Carmen Basilio, Johnny Saxton, Denny Moore, Gaspar Ortego to name a few). Mr. DeMarco was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2019.
    link to original post

What's remarkable is how all the talking heads sort of rolled their eyes when Sam Pittman was hired to be Head Coach at Arkansas 2 years ago, as if this was a highly questionable hire. He did not even have coordinator-level experience. But golly he has done a great job. Watching Tennessee hire Jeremy Pruitt and Nebraska hire Scott Frost about 4 years ago and hearing mostly praise for those hires, I can only shake my head at how clueless most sports reporters are.
    So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
    Mission146
    Mission146
    • Threads: 142
    October 21st, 2021 at 6:47:11 AM permalink
    Here's an article about the Gruden resignation in our sports section:

https://wizardofvegas.com/article/the-corpse-of-chucky/

Unfortunately, even something like this has been made somewhat political, so I had to address that in order to even write about it. There tends to be a little more leeway in articles (of course), so all I would ask is that comments on this article be put in the comment section of the article and that any opinions vis-a-vis politics remain directly topical to the subject of Gruden resigning.
    https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
    • Jump to: