9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
October 24th, 2021 at 8:03:02 AM permalink
Wake Forest beat Army 70-56 yesterday. That is 18 touchdowns and zero field goals. There was only one punt by both teams combined.

Wonder what the record is for a game with most TD's with zero FG's?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 24th, 2021 at 10:05:54 AM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

Wake Forest beat Army 70-56 yesterday. That is 18 touchdowns and zero field goals. There was only one punt by both teams combined.

link to original post

Cumberland 0 @ Georgia Tech 222---32 Touchdowns combined.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
Thanked by
Mission146
October 24th, 2021 at 3:02:00 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Quote: Johnzimbo

link to original post

Cumberland 0 @ Georgia Tech 222---32 Touchdowns combined.
link to original post

OK modern era?
Mission146
Mission146
October 24th, 2021 at 3:13:47 PM permalink
Honestly, it wasn’t really so much because of the era. There was generally less scoring in that era. It’s because Cumberland didn’t actually have any football players (except one ringer) to bring to the game. You should check out the YouTube videos about it!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 27th, 2021 at 3:28:56 AM permalink

amazing one handed leaping catch by Daniel Jones the Giants QB
I've never before seen a QB pro or college make a catch like this

Jones was hit hard on the play - in the head
a hard hit in the head got him a concussion two weeks age

Please don't feed the trolls
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 2nd, 2021 at 3:51:59 AM permalink
_________

this is my fave NBA yt clip - best blocks - some high flyin crazy stuff

the 2nd vid is the Bullets Manute Bol blocking 4 shots in a row - he was quick for somebody that tall

they don't keep stats on stuff like this but I don't think it's ever been done before or after

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 2nd, 2021 at 4:43:04 PM permalink
Sad, terrible Las Vegas Raiders related news today. Recent first round draft pick and WR Henry Ruggs III was arrested for DUI causing serious bodily harm/death for a fatal accident early this morning where he ran into the back of another vehicle, the vehicle ahead of him caught on fire and the occupant was found deceased when firefighters arrived on scene.

From the pictures of the accident causing it and neighborhood it occurred (Rainbow between Flamingo/Trop), I’d have to guess he was traveling at maybe 75-80mph in a 45 zone. A life lost and a promising career likely thrown away, sad stuff. The NFL has a free hotline players can call for a ride specifically to avoid this situation.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 2nd, 2021 at 5:43:16 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Sad, terrible Las Vegas Raiders related news today. Recent first round draft pick and WR Henry Ruggs III was arrested for DUI causing serious bodily harm/death for a fatal accident early this morning where he ran into the back of another vehicle, the vehicle ahead of him caught on fire and the occupant was found deceased when firefighters arrived on scene.

From the pictures of the accident causing it and neighborhood it occurred (Rainbow between Flamingo/Trop), I’d have to guess he was traveling at maybe 75-80mph in a 45 zone. A life lost and a promising career likely thrown away, sad stuff. The NFL has a free hotline players can call for a ride specifically to avoid this situation.
link to original post

Prior to this his estimated career earnings would have easily eclipsed $100 million. Brilliant move to be drunk driving at 3am. Reporter said prison sentence will be between 2 and 20 years. So stupid.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 2nd, 2021 at 6:38:36 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

Prior to this his estimated career earnings would have easily eclipsed $100 million. Brilliant move to be drunk driving at 3am. Reporter said prison sentence will be between 2 and 20 years. So stupid.
link to original post

I believe in Nevada the minimum is 2 years if convicted. He has hired the top attorney firm in Vegas so if anyone can get him out of this it will be them (I doubt they can).
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 3rd, 2021 at 4:32:10 AM permalink

was he the greatest running back ever?
many would say yes
love these end zone dives - don't really think you see anything like this even today

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 3rd, 2021 at 9:26:03 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

was he the greatest running back ever?
many would say yes
love these end zone dives - don't really think you see anything like this even today

link to original post

. Starting in the 70’s….. 1. Barry Sanders
2. OJ Simpson
3. Derrick Henry

Most overrated. Emmitt Smith.
DRich
DRich
November 3rd, 2021 at 9:27:46 AM permalink

link to original post

. Starting in the 70’s….. 1. Barry Sanders
2. OJ Simpson
3. Derrick Henry

Most overrated. Emmitt Smith.
link to original post

I would have to include Earl Campbell
Mission146
Mission146
November 3rd, 2021 at 9:39:15 AM permalink
I'm not sure that you can ever be overrated when you hold the career records both for Rushing Yards and Rushing TD's. You can perhaps make an argument for not the best all-around running back of all-time, but I can't see calling him overrated.

Derrick Henry sounds a bit predictive to me. Obviously, there's going to be a lot of variance when it comes to longevity, whether that mean injury or retiring by choice...but if Derrick Henry sustained a career-ending injury right now, then he would be talked about as, "Derrick Henry---who could have been one of the best running backs of all-time."

L.T. is in my Top Three somewhere, for sure. His career was long enough and, when you break it down into season averages for rushing yards and touchdowns, it's just ridiculous. His 2006 season was just stupid...I think he was trying to copy his performance on Madden, or something, with the AI set on easy.

I'm also going #1 Barry Sanders---dude played for a decade and averaged 5.0 yards per rushing attempt, which is just absurd. Barry Sanders also ranks #2 in rushing yards per game, #4 in total rushing yards and #10 in rushing touchdowns.

Yup, so:

1.) Barry Sanders
2.) Emmitt Smith
3.) LaDainian Tomlinson
Last edited by: Mission146 on Nov 3, 2021
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 3rd, 2021 at 9:43:27 AM permalink
Gotta love those Bucs unis from back in the day, especially with Bucko Bruce on the helmet! They should do a throw-back game with those. I'd love to see TB12 and Gronk in creamsickle orange!

Soopoo, I can't argue with your list (although, I have only seen OJ run on highlight reels, other than his running through airports or from the law) but why no love for Emmitt? I know he had a really good O-line in Dallas, and as a UF guy, I might not be impartial. But I think what made him special was that he always seemed to avoid the big hits and almost always "fell forward" when tackled, gaining an extra 1-2 yards per carry.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
mcallister3200Hunterhill
November 3rd, 2021 at 9:55:32 AM permalink
Henry Ruggs was driving 156 mph before hitting the Rav4 and killing the woman. I hope he does the maximum of 20 years in prison.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 3rd, 2021 at 10:14:54 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Henry Ruggs was driving 156 mph before hitting the Rav4 and killing the woman. I hope he does the maximum of 20 years in prison.
link to original post

As well as over 2x over legal limit for alcohol. As spectacularly ridiculous as decision making can get. Her dog was also in the vehicle with her at the time.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 3, 2021
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 3rd, 2021 at 10:52:29 AM permalink
I just felt watching Smith that he was an above average running back with a GREAT O line for years. I felt Sanders and Simpson got more out of their runs than others. I think Derrick Henry does as well. If you want to put a minimum number of years to qualify for such a list…. I don’t….

Mission adding up Smith’s totals is less relevant to me when it comes to measuring greatness. I hope he doesn’t consider Frank Gore an all time great because he was above average for so long….
Mission146
Mission146
November 3rd, 2021 at 11:22:01 AM permalink

Mission adding up Smith’s totals is less relevant to me when it comes to measuring greatness. I hope he doesn’t consider Frank Gore an all time great because he was above average for so long….
link to original post

(Quote clipped unintentionally)

No, but longevity is part of the equation. Drew Bledsoe, for example, is a well above average quarterback by virtue of being a slightly above average quarterback for such a long time.

You look at per game stats and Emmitt Smith still stands up to anyone. His rushing yards per game is currently 17th all-time, so I don't have to add up anything there. You can take away Smith's last four seasons completely and he would still be 5th in all-time rushing yards, just behind Barry Sanders. He'd also move up to 6th in rushing yards per game if you throw those seasons away. Not that you asked, but if you completely drop Smith's last four seasons in the league, then he would be tied with L.T. (145) for most rushing touchdowns of all-time.

I mean, this is also retrospective...what is Smith supposed to do---ask to play with a bad offensive line for his entire career? It's a team sport; that's just called the guys around you making you better---the hallmark of a good team, which the 90's Cowboys certainly were.

But, that's why I put Sanders ahead of Smith and anyone else you can think of---Sanders was a total running back.

Barry Sanders had something very close to, if not equal to, Le'Veon Bell's patience and ball carrier vision, which for Bell circa Steelers, is the best I have seen in those categories for any player since 2000, or so.

Beyond that, despite his limited size, Sanders would occasionally truck a guy or two...how the hell did that ever happen? His acceleration once he found the lane was off the charts...he'd use his upper body to dodge defenders going for waist tackles while keeping his legs moving and can contort himself in ways that shouldn't be physically possible.

The best part about Barry Sanders is his tenacity and relentlessness if the defenders finally caught him...if Sanders needed six yards for the first and already had eight yards, he'd kill a man, or himself, fighting for an extra half of a yard anyway...contorting, stretching, pushing...probably some LB's out there saying, "J---- C----- dude, you already have the first down, take it easy!"

Anyway, yeah, let's focus on where we agree...Barry Sanders was f*$I&^%&%(*O ridiculous. What are your thoughts on L.T. and where would you put him?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:16:34 PM permalink

link to original post

(Quote clipped unintentionally)

No, but longevity is part of the equation. Drew Bledsoe, for example, is a well above average quarterback by virtue of being a slightly above average quarterback for such a long time.

You look at per game stats and Emmitt Smith still stands up to anyone. His rushing yards per game is currently 17th all-time, so I don't have to add up anything there. You can take away Smith's last four seasons completely and he would still be 5th in all-time rushing yards, just behind Barry Sanders. He'd also move up to 6th in rushing yards per game if you throw those seasons away. Not that you asked, but if you completely drop Smith's last four seasons in the league, then he would be tied with L.T. (145) for most rushing touchdowns of all-time.

I mean, this is also retrospective...what is Smith supposed to do---ask to play with a bad offensive line for his entire career? It's a team sport; that's just called the guys around you making you better---the hallmark of a good team, which the 90's Cowboys certainly were.

But, that's why I put Sanders ahead of Smith and anyone else you can think of---Sanders was a total running back.

Barry Sanders had something very close to, if not equal to, Le'Veon Bell's patience and ball carrier vision, which for Bell circa Steelers, is the best I have seen in those categories for any player since 2000, or so.

Beyond that, despite his limited size, Sanders would occasionally truck a guy or two...how the hell did that ever happen? His acceleration once he found the lane was off the charts...he'd use his upper body to dodge defenders going for waist tackles while keeping his legs moving and can contort himself in ways that shouldn't be physically possible.

The best part about Barry Sanders is his tenacity and relentlessness if the defenders finally caught him...if Sanders needed six yards for the first and already had eight yards, he'd kill a man, or himself, fighting for an extra half of a yard anyway...contorting, stretching, pushing...probably some LB's out there saying, "J---- C----- dude, you already have the first down, take it easy!"

Anyway, yeah, let's focus on where we agree...Barry Sanders was f*$I&^%&%(*O ridiculous. What are your thoughts on L.T. and where would you put him?
link to original post

So Smith is 17th in yards per game all time? I’ll agree on him being around 17th best RB all time.

Ladanian was great too. I would take him ahead of Smith every time.
Also, before accusing me of bias, I was not a Bills fan during OJ’s career.

My list IS biased to what I saw. I never thought Smith was great. Not like OJ, BS, DH, or now I’ll add LT.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:56:14 PM permalink
_________

nobody included Walter Payton on their list - come on - get serious - 2nd behind Emmitt Smith in total yards
he got all those yards in many years when the Bears had nothing else offensively - they could all key on him
he played for 13 years in the NFL - still averaged 88 yards per game - obviously not as great in the later years

maybe before your time but still - nobody mentioned Jim Brown
are you kidding?

he's the all time leader in yards per game with 104.3
he also averaged 5.2 yards per carry - more than every other player that you guys listed

he's 11th in total yards and they didn't even play as many games when he was playing

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:58:32 PM permalink
I struggle to see placing Derrick Henry above Adrian Peterson.
Mission146
Mission146
November 3rd, 2021 at 1:08:57 PM permalink

_________

nobody included Walter Payton on their list - come on - get serious - 2nd behind Emmitt Smith in total yards
he got all those yards in many years when the Bears had nothing else offensively - they could all key on him
he played for 13 years in the NFL - still averaged 88 yards per game - obviously not as great in the later years

maybe before your time but still - nobody mentioned Jim Brown
are you kidding?

he's the all time leader in yards per game with 104.3
he also averaged 5.2 yards per carry - more than every other player that you guys listed

he's 11th in total yards and they didn't even play as many games when he was playing

link to original post

I didn't include Payton in my Top Three, but he would definitely make my Top Five. He had the second most rushing yards and the second most rushing attempts...and he just pounded, pounded, pounded to the tune of an incredible (given how many touches he got per season) 4.4 yards per carry...his physical resiliency was just off the freakin' charts, but he was just a pure power rusher. There's nothing wrong with that and his conditioning clearly made him something that is more than a man, but he can't even be argued as being one of the most complete players out there...nor can Smith...but first all-time in those statistical categories is first and second is second.

You make a really good point with Jim Brown. He was retired quite a few decades before I was even born, so I probably haven't studied up on him as much as I should and might be giving the 3rd Place nod to L.T. just out of recency bias...or, you know, having watched live games featuring L.T. at all.
Mission146
Mission146
November 3rd, 2021 at 1:09:17 PM permalink

link to original post

Yet. We shall see.
Mission146
Mission146
November 3rd, 2021 at 1:10:37 PM permalink

So Smith is 17th in yards per game all time? I’ll agree on him being around 17th best RB all time.

Ladanian was great too. I would take him ahead of Smith every time.
Also, before accusing me of bias, I was not a Bills fan during OJ’s career.

My list IS biased to what I saw. I never thought Smith was great. Not like OJ, BS, DH, or now I’ll add LT.
link to original post

If I've sold you on Tomlinson, then I'm happy with the job I've done here. That is an unquestionably great, but arguably underrated, running back right there.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Mission146
November 3rd, 2021 at 1:52:12 PM permalink

link to original post

Yet. We shall see.
link to original post

Admittedly I may have some unconscious bias towards Peterson and Barry Sanders among the backs generally placed in top 10, lived in MN.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 3rd, 2021 at 2:25:07 PM permalink

link to original post

That’s easy for me. I liked AP a lot. Top 10. Yes. Peterson in his prime was slower than DH. And not as strong. If they were both rookies now at the same age it is a no brainer who I’d take. As far as Jim Brown, I did put a qualifier in of 70’s and on. As far as Payton, he makes my top 10 but not top 3.

Most from the Jim Brown era put him as best of all time.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 3rd, 2021 at 6:47:53 PM permalink
I like

1. B. Sanders
2. J. Brown
3. A large group here I haven't sorted out. Earl Campbell was seemingly unstoppable, but never flashy. Ladanian at his peak was extremely good, but he lingered too long. Thurman Thomas was actually an extremely effective back. Dwight Henry is compiling quite a record -and quite a highlight reel. Dickerson? I don't remember him that well, maybe that's a clue. O.J. Simpson - he was fast, quick and strong. Herschel Walker never quite lived up to what we all imagined he might be. Walter Payton was undeniably great, but I never remember him as a game changer.

Bo Jackson was amazing until his hip condition ended his career. So many running backs excel for a 2-3 year period, then drop off. Its hard to know how to compare Bo Jackson to Fred Taylor or Frank Gore.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 4th, 2021 at 1:54:06 AM permalink

Scottie Pippen has taken some shots at Michael Jordan in his new book

to summarize: he portrays Jordan as selfish and a bully

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/scottie-pippen-takes-a-big-shot-at-michael-jordan-the-last-dance-in-his-book-he-couldnt-have-been-more-condescending-if-he-tried

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 4th, 2021 at 2:02:03 AM permalink

link to original post

That’s easy for me. I liked AP a lot. Top 10. Yes. Peterson in his prime was slower than DH. And not as strong.

link to original post

In what way was AP slower than Henry in his prime? “Eye test?”

AP’s 40 time was 4.4 Henry’s 4.54, I can’t find a ton of data for in play game speed but I’m seeing highest speed touchdown of 2015 at 21.89 mph for AP (post knee injury) and a maximum documented speed of 21.8mph for Henry this season.

AP was pretty one dimensional I will say, the pass blocking was just.....not acceptable.

But Gordon ended up close to best running back of ball time with the Bo mention....Bo Jackson Tecmo Bowl version is the most dominant athlete all time anywhere.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 4, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 4th, 2021 at 2:58:37 AM permalink
________

Aaron Rodgers has tested positive for Covid and apparently gave misleading info when he claimed earlier that he was "immunized"
the 3rd string QB has also tested positive leaving the Pack with only 2nd string QB Jordan Love
Davante Adams and Allen Lazard and defensive coordinator Joe Barry missed last Thursday's game and I'm not sure if they'll play on Sunday
Adams and Barry have tested positive

the line opened with the Pack as 2.5 point dogs it is now at 7, 7.5 or 8

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/11/03/aaron-rodgers-coronavirus/

Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
lilredrooster
November 4th, 2021 at 7:22:10 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I like

1. B. Sanders
2. J. Brown
3. A large group here I haven't sorted out. Earl Campbell was seemingly unstoppable, but never flashy. Ladanian at his peak was extremely good, but he lingered too long. Thurman Thomas was actually an extremely effective back. Dwight Henry is compiling quite a record -and quite a highlight reel. Dickerson? I don't remember him that well, maybe that's a clue. O.J. Simpson - he was fast, quick and strong. Herschel Walker never quite lived up to what we all imagined he might be. Walter Payton was undeniably great, but I never remember him as a game changer.

Bo Jackson was amazing until his hip condition ended his career. So many running backs excel for a 2-3 year period, then drop off. Its hard to know how to compare Bo Jackson to Fred Taylor or Frank Gore.
link to original post

"Game changer," is a really tough thing to qualify. What I mean is that you might not remember someone as a, "Big play guy," but if I have a dude who can almost always truck and pound for three or four yards to get the team the first on 3rd & 1 and 3rd & 2 type situations---that guy absolutely changes the game.

Imagine you convert a 3rd & 2 with a three yard rush---and I'm talking about a straight plow through power rush here, not finding the hole--- that is just money almost every time coming from that back...then the first down play is a 37 yard aerial strike that's good for six...everyone is going to remember that big passing play, but then they forget that passing TD doesn't happen without that first down that maybe doesn't happen without that big hoss being able to pound it for those three yards so reliably.

Another thing about Payton is that you need to pull up a highlight reel because that dude had plays where he's just steamrolling folks! When he was on, it looked like there were small children out there trying to bring him to the ground.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Mission146
November 4th, 2021 at 7:39:11 AM permalink
_________

it's really hard or maybe even impossible to say who was the best because some of them had much better blockers than others

also, some played on teams with a high powered offense involving other players - namely receivers - so teams couldn't key on them as much and they had an easier time

John Riggins (The Diesel) probably wasn't on the level of the others mentioned - but he celebrated his blockers - nicknamed "The Hogs" and they actually became quite famous in DC

some guy in the stands had a horn that sounded like a big diesel truck and blew it whenever he scored - it was really wild - the great years for DC are so very far in the past

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 4th, 2021 at 3:26:21 PM permalink
Jamaal Charles was absolutely electric and explosive but didn’t do much after age 28, probably a little underutilized splitting with Larry Johnson at beginning of career or perhaps not thick enough to take a lot more carries. I don’t know for sure why they couldn’t get the ball in his hands more.

Over 5!!! yards a carry EACH of the first 9 seasons of his career? Has anyone else ever done that? An insane 6.4 yards per carry in a 200+ carry season was his tops in a healthy season.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 4th, 2021 at 5:01:53 PM permalink

"Game changer," is a really tough thing to qualify. What I mean is that you might not remember someone as a, "Big play guy," but if I have a dude who can almost always truck and pound for three or four yards to get the team the first on 3rd & 1 and 3rd & 2 type situations---that guy absolutely changes the game.

Imagine you convert a 3rd & 2 with a three yard rush---and I'm talking about a straight plow through power rush here, not finding the hole--- that is just money almost every time coming from that back...then the first down play is a 37 yard aerial strike that's good for six...everyone is going to remember that big passing play, but then they forget that passing TD doesn't happen without that first down that maybe doesn't happen without that big hoss being able to pound it for those three yards so reliably.

Another thing about Payton is that you need to pull up a highlight reel because that dude had plays where he's just steamrolling folks! When he was on, it looked like there were small children out there trying to bring him to the ground.
link to original post

"a dude who can almost always truck and pound for three or four yards" -well then we need to consider Larry Csonka.

But overall, I am leaning towards agreeing with you on Walter Payton. So, I would make Payton #3 on my list after Sanders and Brown. The man just did too much to ignore.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
November 4th, 2021 at 5:10:12 PM permalink
I’d add Dickerson to the conversation
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
November 6th, 2021 at 7:51:01 AM permalink
Interesting line today:

Wake Forest at #8 in the country and 8-0 is a 2.5 pt dog at North Carolina 4-4.

At the time I read an article, something like 80% of the bets were on Wake Forest as the public typically is all over this favorites in games like this, while 75% of the money is on UNC. The line hasn't budged hardly at all.

I feel like Vegas and the sharps know something, so I am following suit and taking the UNC moneyline today!
mwalz9
mwalz9
November 6th, 2021 at 12:52:12 PM permalink
BOOM! Vegas and the sharps just know!

#FadeThePublic
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 6th, 2021 at 1:51:54 PM permalink
Congrats. Squeaker. I can’t believe students stormed the field for that, that wasn’t a justifiable spot and no good reason for it. They were ranked higher than Wake going into the season and favored in the game.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 7th, 2021 at 6:07:16 AM permalink
Chuck Foreman didn't have a long career but in his prime, he was as dominating as any running back in the game. Playing the old 14 game schedules hurts his stats a bit but consider this. Going into the final week of the season, Foreman lead the NFC in Rushing, Receiving, and Touchdowns scored. No one had ever led the league in those before.
An iceball thrown from a fan hit him in the eye during warmups prior to his last game at Buffalo limited his play that last game so he ended up second in rushing, and OJ scored a late touchdown to edge him out for most touchdowns. It was a season no other running back had come close to, stat wise.
I saw OJ run for about 200 on the Jets fairly early in his career and then saw him again a few years later when he's lost his speed.
If it was 1st and ten, I want to hand the ball to Billy Sims, but if it is third and three, I'm giving it to Earl Campbell or Franco Harris.
I'm not including modern guys like Henry because they still have a long way to go.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 7th, 2021 at 8:50:04 AM permalink

nobody mentioned Gale Sayers - I don't know how to rank him but he was truly great
his 2nd season - 14 games - he led the league in rushing with 1234 yards and got 5.4 yards per carry
he also led the Bears in receiving that year with 447 yards
that same year he returned kicks and got 32 yards per return
he set an NFL record that year with 2,440 all purpose yards - Darren Sproles has the all time record with 2,696 but he played 2 more games
in his rookie year he set an NFL record with 22 touchdowns
he also tied the NFL single season record in 1965 with 6 touchdowns in one game - a record that has never been surpassed - only tied

surely worthy of mention

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 7th, 2021 at 9:16:39 AM permalink

Aaron Rodgers got spoofed on SNL for his I'm immunized - not vaccinated thing______this has got to sting
quote from the spoof - "people can talk all they want but at the end of the day my record is still 7-1 - meaning of the 8 people I infected - 7 are fine."

billryan
billryan
November 7th, 2021 at 9:55:23 AM permalink

nobody mentioned Gale Sayers - I don't know how to rank him but he was truly great
his 2nd season - 14 games - he led the league in rushing with 1234 yards and got 5.4 yards per carry
he also led the Bears in receiving that year with 447 yards
that same year he returned kicks and got 32 yards per return
he set an NFL record that year with 2,440 all purpose yards - Darren Sproles has the all time record with 2,696 but he played 2 more games
in his rookie year he set an NFL record with 22 touchdowns
he also tied the NFL single season record in 1965 with 6 touchdowns in one game - a record that has never been surpassed - only tied

surely worthy of mention

Sayers was great. Perhaps the most talented running back, but his knees betrayed him. I read a long time ago that the surgery he needed was now routine but in the dark ages of the 1960s, the procedure wasn't invented yet. I think he played long enough to be an all time great but nowhere near long enough to be considered the best.

link to original post

The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 8th, 2021 at 2:34:37 AM permalink

anybody have a solid line on the Lions not winning a game this year?
in the first 8 games they've been beaten by 110 points averaging getting beat by almost 14 per game
in their last game they got beat by 38 by the Eagles who are a 3-6 team_________(-:\

I put them at +240 to lose every game this year

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 8th, 2021 at 2:35:00 AM permalink

anybody have a solid line on the Lions not winning a game this year?
in the first 8 games they've been beaten by 110 points averaging getting beat by almost 14 per game
in their last game they got beat by 38 by the Eagles who are a 3-6 team_________(-:\

there are 17 regular season games this - not 16 - so that increases their chances of getting a win

I put them at +240 to lose every game this year

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 8, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 9th, 2021 at 3:56:44 AM permalink

a Bears player got flagged for taunting
the Bears claim it wasn't taunting
but there's more - the Bears then claim the ref "HIP CHECKED" the player on his way back to the bench - I've never seen anything like this
causing lots of noise - take a look____

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears-call-out-officials-for-b-s-taunting-penalty-hip-check-after-controversial-close-loss-to-steelers/

billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2021 at 4:44:45 AM permalink
Ref has the right to stand his ground. The player is 100% in the wrong.
mwalz9
mwalz9
November 9th, 2021 at 5:38:25 AM permalink
I'm a die hard Steelers fan and I had a $350 lay bet to win $100 on the Steelers money line.

That being said, this player did not taunt and that is a weak call.

Those officials last night weren't very good.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 10th, 2021 at 4:22:38 PM permalink
Dakota Dozier of the Minnesota Vikings went to the ER and has been hospitalized due to complications of COVID, having difficulty breathing. He was vaccinated although who knows how long ago. This is the first case I’ve heard of a professional athlete, vaxxed or not, being hospitalized with COVID. As one would assume, he’s a 300+ lb lineman.

29 players/coaches considered close contacts. As the efficacy of the vaxx wanes, and I’m not sure whether or not most of these guys would qualify for a booster, there is likely going to be mass amounts of players missing games over the second half of the season. I think we’re all a little fatigued of this being a primary factor in games when many of us go to sports for an escape.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 12th, 2021 at 9:08:14 AM permalink
Just noticed that for the Purdue/Ohio State game the bet "will the game go into overtime?" , YES is +2200. Seems like a lot.

college games don't much go into overtime? Or is this a just function of big point spread and big O/U for NFL games too? The point spread is 20.5 and the O/U 62.5 for that game
Last edited by: odiousgambit on Nov 12, 2021
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
November 12th, 2021 at 9:12:05 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Just noticed that for the Purdue/Ohio State game I can get a "no overtime" bet for +2200. Seems like a lot.

college games don't much go into overtime? Or is this a just function of big point spread and big O/U for NFL games too? The point spread is 20.5 and the O/U 62.5 for that game
link to original post

I would think the NO OVERTIME bet would be -2200 not +2200. I would bet most of my net worth on +2200 for no overtime. I would not be shocked if it is a close game.
  • Jump to: