2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
November 21st, 2021 at 11:22:17 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

The Ravens are playing the Bears in Chicago for the first time in eight years. Something seems off.
link to original post

You can say the same about every AFC/NFC matchup this year (and all prior years since they went to the current scheduling system).
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 21st, 2021 at 11:32:59 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

The Ravens are playing the Bears in Chicago for the first time in eight years. Something seems off.
link to original post

You can say the same about every AFC/NFC matchup this year (and all prior years since they went to the current scheduling system).
link to original post

The Giants and Chiefs have played six times since the year 2000. Four of those games have been in KC so the Chiefs have played the Giants in NY twice in 21 seasons.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
unJon
unJon
November 21st, 2021 at 11:38:37 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The Giants and Chiefs have played six times since the year 2000. Four of those games have been in KC so the Chiefs have played the Giants in NY twice in 21 seasons.
link to original post

Or, to put it in the same terms as you originally did: the Giants played the chiefs in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago for the first time in eight years.

AFC and NFC teams play each other once every four years. So on average they play each other in a particular stadium once every 8 years.

(Super bowls excepted. And the new scheduling with a 17th game will impact it going forward.)
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
November 21st, 2021 at 12:52:16 PM permalink
Yes, you are right. I guess living in NY with the two teams I never realized how infrequently the teams played. Although we had season tickets, I'd only go to four or five games most years and as I got older and more senior in choosing my games I preferred division games as long as they weren't MNF. I gave up on those games long ago.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
November 22nd, 2021 at 8:26:23 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Or, to put it in the same terms as you originally did: the Giants played the chiefs in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago for the first time in eight years.

AFC and NFC teams play each other once every four years. So on average they play each other in a particular stadium once every 8 years.

(Super bowls excepted. And the new scheduling with a 17th game will impact it going forward.)
link to original post

There is one league made up of two conferences and 8 divisions. Division teams play each other twice a year on a home and away basis. Teams play each division within their conference once every 3 years. Teams play each division outside their conferences once every 4 years.

So you see Teams from within your conference once every 6 years. Outside the conference once every 8 years. And once a year within the division.

Division rivals Bears and Lions play Thankgiving and Giant vs Eagles on Sunday. Mark your calendars.🙄

If Tiger Woods goes it will be Lions, and Tiger and Bears. OH MY.
billryan
billryan
November 22nd, 2021 at 9:44:57 AM permalink
I've only watched a couple of handfuls of NFL games this year but it certainly seems to have stepped up its product. I watched two games yesterday. Ravens- Bears and Steelers-Chargers. Four teams that I care nothing about yet both games were barn burners.
unJon
unJon
November 22nd, 2021 at 10:00:43 AM permalink

I've only watched a couple of handfuls of NFL games this year but it certainly seems to have stepped up its product. I watched two games yesterday. Ravens- Bears and Steelers-Chargers. Four teams that I care nothing about yet both games were barn burners.
link to original post

Exciting finishes to both games for sure.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 26th, 2021 at 8:18:26 AM permalink
If I had a dollar for every time a men’s college basketball team walked the ball up the floor with 45-50 seconds left in the first half, squandering a 2 for 1 opportunity, the compound interest would make me rich. Very simple concept.

Women’s college basketball has gotten MUCH better over the last decade, the skill level is there, they would not have moved the three point line to international line this year if it was not the case. Men’s basketball, on the other hand, if anything has regressed. It is just not a good product; at all, when compared to euro leagues or the g league. For the most part, good coaching gets rewarded professionally, and good recruiting wins over good coaching in college (Calipari is not an above average coach).
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 26, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 26th, 2021 at 9:55:41 AM permalink

I haven't watched a lot of women's basketball but what I have seen is really impressive
lots of teamwork - great attitudes

growing up I never would have dreamed women could play that well

the players, both men and women are so much better now than when I was younger

in h.s in my day you really expected any player who was taller than 6'4" not to be agile - there were a few who were - but very few - most were very slow

it's almost frightening to think about how good they will be in 10 or 15 years - they keep evolving

Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 26th, 2021 at 11:21:36 AM permalink
Quote: moses

So you see Teams from within your conference once every 6 years. Outside the conference once every 8 years. And once a year within the division.

No, in conference every 3 years at most. Out-conference every 4 years. Better record gets the out-division/in conference at home and the out-division away, which it to their advantage.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
November 26th, 2021 at 11:56:40 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

No, in conference every 3 years at most. Out-conference every 4 years. Better record gets the out-division/in conference at home and the out-division away, which it to their advantage.
link to original post

What they are saying is you get a home game against them every three years. I could watch the Chiefs on tv every Sunday, but can only see them at Giant Stadium roughly every eight years, although the Chiefs have only played two games there against Big Blue in the last twenty years.
moses
moses
November 26th, 2021 at 8:16:00 PM permalink
11/01/21NYG17@KC20LBox
11/19/17KC9@NYG12W/OTBox
09/29/13NYG7@KC31LBox
10/04/09NYG27@KC16WBox
12/17/05KC17@NYG27WBox
09/23/01NYG13@KC3WBox

Hmmm.
moses
moses
November 26th, 2021 at 8:38:08 PM permalink
Here’s a breakdown of how each team’s opponents are set:

Six games against divisional opponents — two games per team, one at home and one on the road.
Four games against teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road.
Four games against teams from a division in the other conference— two games at home and two on the road.
Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.
The new 17th game is an additional game against a non-conference opponent from a division that the team is not scheduled to play. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.
billryan
billryan
November 26th, 2021 at 9:25:18 PM permalink

11/01/21NYG17@KC20LBox
11/19/17KC9@NYG12W/OTBox
09/29/13NYG7@KC31LBox
10/04/09NYG27@KC16WBox
12/17/05KC17@NYG27WBox
09/23/01NYG13@KC3WBox

Hmmm.
link to original post

As I said, two games in twenty-plus years.
moses
moses
November 26th, 2021 at 9:40:24 PM permalink
In 2002, the NFL added a 32nd member, the Houston Texans. The Texans were placed in the AFC, with the Seahawks agreeing to return to the NFC (where they had played in their inaugural season) to balance the membership. This addition also allowed the league to go to a uniform schedule again, and correct some of the geographical confusion that had arisen over the years as teams relocated and the league expanded. The league went to an eight division, four team per division format.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 27th, 2021 at 3:45:02 AM permalink
Simple answer: Eliminate the NFL.

College football is a much better product and much more diverse. There are enough teams that you could have it on TV seven days a week, Maybe have different conferences play on different days. Life would be joyous.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 27th, 2021 at 5:14:26 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

College football is a much better product and much more diverse. There are enough teams that you could have it on TV seven days a week, Maybe have different conferences play on different days. Life would be joyous.
link to original post

sorry, but I don't agree with that at all

the skill level in the NFL is generally way higher than in college football

the incredible athleticism - that is what attracts me to football - you're right about the greater diversity - but it's not enough for me

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 27th, 2021 at 5:20:07 AM permalink

link to original post

College football is basically a minor league of the NFL. It is watchable. Too many games are not competitive. In the NFL even the worst team (Jaguars at the time) could beat the best team (Bills at the time). You think (name any of 100 schools) comes within 30 of (name any of 50 schools)?
DRich
DRich
November 27th, 2021 at 5:46:59 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

sorry, but I don't agree with that at all

the skill level in the NFL is generally way higher than in college football

the incredible athleticism - that is what attracts me to football - you're right about the greater diversity - but it's not enough for me

link to original post

I find the NFLboring as every team runs the same offenses and defenses. All of the blocking schemes are the same and running the ball is disappearing. If I had my way they would only be allowed to throw one pass per drive. Run the ball and dominate the line of scrimmage. Bring the I-formation and the wishbone back to football. Yes, I am old and that is real football.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 27th, 2021 at 5:48:11 AM permalink
Keyontae Johnson, of the Florida Gators basketball team, has an interesting decision on whether to pursue his dreams or take the stability offered by a fairly lucrative insurance policy that he’s now eligible for.

He was the SEC preseason player of the year last year and was to be a first round draft pick and in this last years draft. He collapsed face first on the court coming out of a timeout last season and was hospitalized in critical but stable condition, he has recovered but hasn’t been medically cleared and they still don’t know exactly why it happened. Currently with the team in a pseudo student assistant coach role. He’s not cleared to do ANY sort of cardiovascular exercise as they haven’t been able to rule out something with the heart, so even if he were cleared it would take a LONG time to get back into peak physical condition to be an effective player along with whatever rust with skills.

As a likely first round draft pick, he was eligible for an insurance policy of up to 10 million, he did elect to have an insurance policy for 5 million which he is now eligible to collect after the event. But if he pursues and gains medical clearance to play again that will be in jeopardy, while pro teams will likely be reluctant to give significant long term guaranteed money for quite some time, it seems unlikely he’ll be viewed the same way prior to proving himself at the pro level. Interesting situation. Safe thing to do would be finish the degree and move on to coaching with the 5 million payout that can be taken as a lump sum...
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 27, 2021
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2021 at 6:56:22 AM permalink
That is an interesting dilemma. Would the payout be tax-free? Five million tax-free can generate well over half a million a year without touching the principal and provide generational wealth for his family. On the other hand, a return to form and a top ten pick contract could make the five million look like tip money.
He can take the money, change his family's fortunes, but would you want to go through life wondering what if?
Not an easy choice for anyone, let alone a 20-year-old. I imagine he has advisors pushing him in both directions.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 27th, 2021 at 10:13:21 AM permalink

That is an interesting dilemma. Would the payout be tax-free? Five million tax-free can generate well over half a million a year without touching the principal and provide generational wealth for his family. On the other hand, a return to form and a top ten pick contract could make the five million look like tip money.
He can take the money, change his family's fortunes, but would you want to go through life wondering what if?
Not an easy choice for anyone, let alone a 20-year-old. I imagine he has advisors pushing him in both directions.
link to original post

I don’t know the specifics, I’d imagine it’s taxable. Was just wondering how he was doing after last year, looked and there’s some articles from within the last few weeks.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2021 at 10:40:14 AM permalink
Disability payments can be tax free. I think it depends on who paid for them. As I understand it, if you pay for them, they are tax free because you already paid tax on the money you used to buy the insurance. If your employer provides them, you didn't pay any taxes and now you owe taxes on the whole amount. Or something like that. Where a college student had money to buy such a policy would be interesting, in its own right.
A few years ago, my now deceased sister was a Federal employee and received disability both from her employer and a policy she bought herself. One was taxed, one was not.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 27th, 2021 at 11:18:09 AM permalink
Article I read did mention the university paid the premiums. Players who are projected to be high draft picks have the insurance available to them if they choose to come back to school.

I thought, and maybe it was that way previously or in other situations, that the issuer may pay the premiums for them in exchange for a guaranteed amount or percentage when/if they make it. The university paying for it is a new one for me assuming the article was correct. Makes some sense if they want to provide an incentive for them to come back to school and eliminate the potential predatory lending part, a school would more than make up the difference with the revenue that an elite athlete in a major sport in a big conference brings.
DRich
DRich
November 27th, 2021 at 2:24:05 PM permalink

Five million tax-free can generate well over half a million a year without touching the principal and provide generational wealth for his family.

I wish I knew a way to make 10% on my money every year.
moses
moses
November 27th, 2021 at 3:06:11 PM permalink

11/01/21NYG17@KC20LBox
11/19/17KC9@NYG12W/OTBox
09/29/13NYG7@KC31LBox
10/04/09NYG27@KC16WBox
12/17/05KC17@NYG27WBox
09/23/01NYG13@KC3WBox

Hmmm.
link to original post

As I said, two games in twenty-plus years.
link to original post

The realignment in 2002 is one reason. There was also a provision added so East coast teams wouldn't have to travel to the west coast 4 times in a single season. The new 17th game schedule format states each teams will play the other 31 at least once every 4 years. It wasn't specific if the provision still exists or not.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2021 at 3:33:47 PM permalink

Five million tax-free can generate well over half a million a year without touching the principal and provide generational wealth for his family.

link to original post

If you are a qualified Investor and have a few million to invest, I can open a few doors for you.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 27th, 2021 at 4:49:13 PM permalink

link to original post

If you are a qualified Investor and have a few million to invest, I can open a few doors for you.
link to original post

I qualify. To me, 10% means you are taking risks. 1% means essentially risk free. If there was a guarantee of 5%, I’d take it now.

To avoid the hijacking suspension….. STUPID Auburn running back goes out of bounds when I can only imagine his coach saying before the play…. Don’t…. Too stupid to describe…. But he did get an extra yard….
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 27th, 2021 at 4:53:58 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

link to original post

I qualify. To me, 10% means you are taking risks. 1% means essentially risk free. If there was a guarantee of 5%, I’d take it now.

To avoid the hijacking suspension….. STUPID Auburn running back goes out of bounds when I can only imagine his coach saying before the play…. Don’t…. Too stupid to describe…. But he did get an extra yard….
link to original post

Should have never came to that game should have been over one way or the other in the teens. I have a problem with Auburn’s coaching decision in overtime as well. When they scored to make it 16-17, he kicks. I don’t care if it’s at home, when you’re facing a team that is significantly more talented than you and favored and you have a solid chance to win it on one play, you take it. Extending the game when you’re at a measurable talent deficit is stupid.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 27, 2021
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2021 at 9:43:16 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Just for fun. Consider this.
$1,000,000 in the bank gets $10,000 a year in income.
10,000 micro-investments, each at 13% interest. How many have to fail for you to lend up with less than you did with your safe investment?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
moses
November 28th, 2021 at 1:36:04 AM permalink

a few of DC's great ballers as they appeared in h.s.

Elgin Baylor - Springarn High - totally dominated in the NBA - unstoppable - one of the greatest of all time

𝘽𝙄𝙉𝙂𝙊_____Dave Bing, also from Spingarn crushed there and with Syracuse and with the Pistons - after the NBA he became Mayor of Detroit
on the right in the pic nailing a J for Spingarn

First team All American Bobby Lewis - St. Johns h.s -. next to Lew Alcindor being honored on the Ed Sullivan show as one of the top 5 h.s. players in the country. Went on to average 28 for UNC. He could fly. He put on dunking exhibitions at Dematha/St. Johns basketball camp. Morgan Wooten would crank up the basket to about 10.5 feet and he would still do backwards dunks at only 6'3"__________he shamed the 6'9" guys who couldn't match it. Bobby got 49 against Florida State - the most ever scored by a UNC player.

here's the vid with Ed

Austin Carr, Mackin High - scored 61 in an NCAA Tournament game - the record still stands today more than 50 years later
he's 2nd from left in the middle row in the pic - the great Mackin h.s. team that dethroned Dematha for the Catholic League Championship

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 28, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
moses
December 2nd, 2021 at 3:18:56 AM permalink
_________

"Overtime Elite" is a brand new pro basketball league that is getting high schoolers to leave school by paying them 6 figures to compete

for this they have to give up their remaining years in h.s. and any chance of playing in college

https://time.com/6114853/overtime-elite-league-salary/

moses
moses
December 2nd, 2021 at 3:53:18 AM permalink

_________

"Overtime Elite" is a brand new pro basketball league that is getting high schoolers to leave school by paying them 6 figures to compete

for this they have to give up their remaining years in h.s. and any chance of playing in college

https://time.com/6114853/overtime-elite-league-salary/

link to original post

I remember reading about this a year ago or so. It seems it would change the landscape of college basketball. If you took out the top 100 recruits a year for this league.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 7th, 2021 at 3:49:44 AM permalink

the Pats and the highly regarded Mac Jones attempted only 3 passes last night in beating the Bills - pretty strange

his rival, Josh Allen attempted 30 passes

Jones finished 2 for 3 for 19 yards total in the air

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 7th, 2021 at 4:38:25 AM permalink

link to original post

What they are saying is you get a home game against them every three years. I could watch the Chiefs on tv every Sunday, but can only see them at Giant Stadium roughly every eight years, although the Chiefs have only played two games there against Big Blue in the last twenty years.
link to original post

Not necessarily. The home/away is based on a formula. It used to be you got a "place schedule" meaning last place teams played last place teams and first place teams played first place teams. This led to weird things like once two teams not in the same division still played each other twice (I forget who it was) and if one team was usually in the playoffs and another was usually in the basement in different conferences they could go decades and not play each other.

But you still get your home games against your own conference if you have a better record. So your out-conference games could still see a team not visiting a certain stadium for over a decade.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2021 at 5:13:51 AM permalink
For the past forty years, I've been on a crusade to get Tony Oliva named to the Hall of Fame. One of the best hitters in the game from 1964 to 1972, and with a cannon for an arm, Olivas's career was cut short by a knee injury that today could be fixed with arthroscopic surgery and he'd have missed a month. Instead, he had three operations over two years and never recovered. He won the AL batting title as a Rookie and may have been the youngest player to win a title, although not officially.
Mr. Oliva missed getting in twice by a single vote and many of his supporters had given up hope of seeing him get in during his lifetime.
To make his election even sweeter, he is joined by teammate Jim Kaat, a 282 game-winner who also had to wait almost forty years to be honored.
DRich
DRich
December 7th, 2021 at 8:05:29 AM permalink

the Pats and the highly regarded Mac Jones attempted only 3 passes last night in beating the Bills - pretty strange

link to original post

That is fantastic. I wish all football was limited to a few passes per game.
moses
moses
December 7th, 2021 at 9:01:03 AM permalink
Guys like Oliva and Kaat paved the way for players today.
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2021 at 9:03:51 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Three yards and a cloud of dust gets old pretty fast.
It was amazing how the Bills kept stacking the box and Pat runners just burst into the secondary virtually untouched.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 7th, 2021 at 9:08:03 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

You must love the Army-Navy game.
moses
moses
December 7th, 2021 at 9:08:42 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Not necessarily. The home/away is based on a formula. It used to be you got a "place schedule" meaning last place teams played last place teams and first place teams played first place teams. This led to weird things like once two teams not in the same division still played each other twice (I forget who it was) and if one team was usually in the playoffs and another was usually in the basement in different conferences they could go decades and not play each other.

But you still get your home games against your own conference if you have a better record. So your out-conference games could still see a team not visiting a certain stadium for over a decade.
link to original post

I read adjustments were made so teams from the East Coast (and vice versa) wouldn't have to travel 4 times across county in the same season. For instance, the NFC East is playing the NFC west and AFC West division in the same season.
But now they travel London without a bye week. Simple made complex.
billryan
billryan
December 7th, 2021 at 9:11:28 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Who doesn't love the Army-Navy game? It's America's Turkey Bowl.
unJon
unJon
December 7th, 2021 at 9:35:50 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Someone told me that this morning during an interview, Belicheck was asked how he’s feeling this morning, and he replied: I’m a bit run down.
DRich
DRich
December 7th, 2021 at 9:42:14 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I used to love the Army-Navy game but they are now passing too often. Army is passing around 8 times per game and Navy is closer to 9. Run the damn ball like real men.

There is nothing enjoyable about watching pass blocking. Run blocking assignments can be amazing.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
moses
December 8th, 2021 at 5:40:09 AM permalink
_________

great moments from college basketball - immortalized by YouTube

𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙜𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝙖𝙞𝙧 𝙗𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙝𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮 𝙤𝙛 𝙗𝙖𝙨𝙠𝙚𝙩𝙗𝙖𝙡𝙡

Derek Wittenberg put up a 30 footer for NC State to beat Houston at the buzzer in the 1983 National Championship game

it missed everything but Lorenzo Charles was there for the dunk. Olujawon said he didn't contest for the ball because the thought he would get called for goaltending

Lo Charles has passed - R.I.P.

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 8, 2021
billryan
billryan
December 8th, 2021 at 9:01:56 AM permalink
Jimmy Valvano. Taken way too soon. This world would be a better place if Jimmy V were still around, turning boys into men.
DRich
DRich
December 8th, 2021 at 11:56:31 AM permalink

Jimmy Valvano. Taken way too soon. This world would be a better place if Jimmy V were still around, turning boys into men.
link to original post

I would argue he is doing more now with the donations he has inspired for cancer research.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
moses
December 9th, 2021 at 2:01:14 AM permalink

_________
great moments from college basketball - immortalized by YouTube

1979 - National Championship game - the beginning of the Bird vs. Magic rivalry. Magic gets the W here with Michigan State beating Indiana State
it was the highest rated (Nielsen) college basketball game ever

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 9, 2021
moses
moses
December 9th, 2021 at 2:33:26 PM permalink
Great moments in time. I read somewhere Larry Bird walked into the locker during All Star weekend. He was in the 3 point shooting contest. He ask, "which one of you guys figure on coming in 2nd"?
billryan
billryan
December 9th, 2021 at 3:00:41 PM permalink
The NY Giants are in Tucson for the week. Rather than fly home after the game in Miami, they flew to Arizona and are spending the week at a resort here before their game in L.A.
As unusual as that is, they have the whole Practice Squad with them. The PS never goes on road trips. A few public appearances at a U of A basketball game and at Top Golf. Starting today they have semi-public practices at the school.
I don't recall them ever doing something like this mid-season.
  • Jump to: