9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 30th, 2021 at 8:35:13 AM permalink
Philly Eagles fan here and I am going to take a minute to talk about "my" Eagles. What a mess!

I was ok, with The Eagles giving Jalen Hurts this year to see what he could do. Seeing their last place schedule, I suspected he would do ok and with many winnable games in the second half of the year, the Eagles would be about .500. That is why I bet the over 6.5. Although the wins and losses weren't exactly as I had seen, it has played out pretty close.

So Jalen Hurts is not the longterm answer at QB despite some improvement. The Eagles have 3 first round draft picks in 2022, their own, the Colts and the Dolphins. With the Eagles starting out at 2-5, the Dolphins, 1-6 and the Colts 1-4, for a while it looked like all 3 picks could be top 10 picks, maybe even a couple top 5. Well all 3 teams are now 8-7 and it looks like those 3 picks will be closer to 18-20 range, depending on the final 2 weeks.

So the problem is there is no QB in the draft coming out this year that looks like a sure fire franchise type QB. There is Russell Wilson, who looks like he might be available, but the Eagles are not on his list of teams. Russell also looks like he may be beginning to slip. Who knows about Aaron Rogers? He talks a lot, but he is staying in Green Bay. So I don't see an answer to the QB situation on the horizon.

At this point having won my over 6.5 wins bet, I am not even sure if I am rooting for them to win and make the playoffs as a 6 or 7 seed or lose the next two games and get a higher draft pick. :/
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
December 30th, 2021 at 8:54:05 AM permalink
For those who weren't paying attention, I'm going to list this years NY Giants highlights and the reason I'm confident going into the offseason:

Thanks for reading.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
December 30th, 2021 at 9:09:28 AM permalink
Kenny Pickett. Heisman Candidate from University of Pittsburgh is best QB in draft. But he will probably get picked by Steelers.
billryan
billryan 
December 30th, 2021 at 9:14:37 AM permalink
Texas A&M pulled out of its Bowl game. They had plenty of players but the Coach pulled the team because he was short of "scholarship players" and didn't think the players available would properly represent the Institution.
The Aggies are famous for their "12th Man", dating back to a game in the 1920s when A&M was shorthanded and they pulled a fan out of the stands in order to finish their game.
I don't blame the man for canceling the game with covid ravaging his squad but he destroyed the whole 12th man mystique at the same time.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 30th, 2021 at 9:20:18 AM permalink
in this draft class i like the cinncinatti qb and hope that is who the Steelers take instead of the local kid.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
December 30th, 2021 at 9:27:21 AM permalink
I never realized how big the college football traveling parties are.
Boise St was supposed to come to Tucson for the now-canceled Arizona Bowl and the local paper is describing how this is affecting local businesses. They had rented out the entire JW Marriot for five nights, including all the restaurants and the golf course, chartered a dozen buses for the week, had booked a plaza for a post-game party and their alumni/fan association had booked almost 1,000 hotel rooms and rented 300 cars. Over fifty local bands had been booked for various venues and some 1500 temp jobs are out the window.
I'd imagined the other school had similar numbers.
The game was supposed to raise over a million dollars for local youth groups but depending on how many people request refunds, they may end up with nothing. On the bright side, the vendor who printed up some 10,000 shirts to sell at the game has donated them all to said groups.
moses
moses
December 30th, 2021 at 9:33:41 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

in this draft class i like the cinncinatti qb and hope that is who the Steelers take instead of the local kid.
link to original post

According to Mel Kiper Jr. He is the 2nd best QB. His stock could rise or fall on Friday.
moses
moses
December 30th, 2021 at 9:40:23 AM permalink
If Aaron Rodgers leaves Green Bay. I could see Packers going after Russell Wilson. He played at Wisconsin.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 1st, 2022 at 1:38:55 AM permalink
Quote: moses

Champ rings Sam Jones.

he passed on Thursday____________________R.I.P.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32968550/sam-jones-won-10-nba-titles-boston-celtics-dies-age-88

Please don't feed the trolls
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
January 1st, 2022 at 8:32:50 AM permalink

link to original post

He was ineffective and unnerved against a very good Bama defense. IMHO any pro defense would be insurmountable for him; possible very late round pick I expect.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan 
January 1st, 2022 at 8:34:54 AM permalink
I said that Michigan didn't belong in the final four and results would seem to show I was right. I don't know if Notre Dame would have beaten Georgia but it almost certainly would have been a better game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 1st, 2022 at 8:53:20 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I said that Michigan didn't belong in the final four and results would seem to show I was right. I don't know if Notre Dame would have beaten Georgia but it almost certainly would have been a better game.
link to original post

Hard to tell. I think Michigan ND would be a toss up. ND did LOSE to THAT Cincy team.

I know Bama and Georgia are the two best teams in the country, but having a rematch for the Championship isn’t what I want to see.
billryan
billryan 
January 1st, 2022 at 9:10:58 AM permalink
I wanted Michigan to get to the Final Game as anything would be better than the Bama- Ga. rematch but they just didn't have what it takes. One victory over an over-rated OSU got everyone excited but they simply didn't belong.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 1st, 2022 at 9:19:49 AM permalink
That’s a national championship game I’m not going to bother tuning in to.
billryan
billryan 
January 1st, 2022 at 9:32:53 AM permalink
If nothing else, a Bama- ND game would get better ratings.
kewlj
kewlj
January 1st, 2022 at 10:51:27 AM permalink

If nothing else, a Bama- ND game would get better ratings.

Why did the Cincinnati-Alabama game get bad ratings? I watched the Cincinnati game just to see if it was the horrendous mismatch I thought. I also always like the possibility of a Cinderella story. I didn't even watch the Michigan game.

Cincinnati didn't belong. No offense to them. They had some good players and were a very good team for their conference. But they showed they didn't belong on both lines. They were over-matched by 50 lbs per player on both lines. On offense, couldn't move the defensive linemen to run the ball and couldn't keep them off their QB. On defense Alabama ran at will, picking up 8, 9, 10 yards a carry. I think Saban could have run the score up much more if he wanted to and really showed that Cincinnati didn't belong. He is not really that kind of guy.

But Notre Dame would have been no better. Notre Dame LOST to Cincinatti AT HOME. They also squeaked by Florida State and Virginia tech, two teams with losing records by 3 points each and also squeaked by Toledo by 3 points. Not to mention wins over 4 teams that had only 3 or 4 wins each. That is NOT a team that should be playing for the national championship.

College football has to figure out a way to stop it from being 3 or 4 schools every year that really have a chance, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and occasionally an Ohio State or LSU. I don't know what the answer is.
kewlj
kewlj
January 1st, 2022 at 10:51:39 AM permalink
A couple more gripes about college football.

Two things that are or have destroyed college football is the "portal" system. Absolutely ridiculous. A college player is recruited by a team, signs an agreement to attend and play for that school. PERIOD! Give me a break with this free agency, "portal" crap, if the player can't succeed at that school. Plus there is something that isn't talked about that everyone wants to pretend doesn't happen, but what about the money and other financial gifts (cars, houses) that players receive as part of that agreement? And then they turn around a year later and enter the portal and the bidding starts all over again?

Second thing, that has happened in the last few years is all these players, QB's, running backs and receivers, opting out of bowl games because they are going to the NFL and don't want to risk getting hurt. Maybe for one or two VERY elite players, but many of these guys are late first or second round picks at best and could really help themselves with a final strong national televised game. I mean next I expect to see players opting out of the final few games of their regular season to ensure they don't get hurt. Maybe put in a good first half of the season and then sit out because you are going to the NFL and don't want to get hurt.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 1st, 2022 at 10:56:45 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Two things that are or have destroyed college football is the "portal" system. Absolutely ridiculous. A college player is recruited by a team, signs an agreement to attend and play for that school. PERIOD! Give me a break with this free agency, "portal" crap, if the player can't succeed at that school. Plus there is something that isn't talked about that everyone wants to pretend doesn't happen, but what about the money and other financial gifts (cars, houses) that players receive as part of that agreement? And then they turn around a year later and enter the portal and the bidding starts all over again?

Second thing, that has happened in the last few years is all these players, QB's, running backs and receivers, opting out of bowl games because they are going to the NFL and don't want to risk getting hurt. Maybe for one or two VERY elite players, but many of these guys are late first or second round picks at best and could really help themselves with a final strong national televised game. I mean next I expect to see players opting out of the final few games of their regular season to ensure they don't get hurt. Maybe put in a good first half of the season and then sit out because you are going to the NFL and don't want to get hurt.

Just some of my gripes.
link to original post

With the way that coaches jump around and bail on players/schools constantly with zero notice any time another school offers them more money I have zero issue with the portal in comparison. Players can also have scholarships pulled despite having no off field issues if they want more available for an incoming class.

Coaches and administrators who whine about the portal are incredibly hypocritical. Like employers whining about employees not giving enough notice when they know they are risking getting walked out if they do, employees didn’t create the walkout culture it’s reactionary.
kewlj
kewlj
January 1st, 2022 at 11:00:22 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

[
With the way that coaches jump around and bail on players/schools constantly with zero notice any time another school offers them more money I have zero issue with the portal in comparison. Players can also have scholarships pulled despite having no off field issues if they want more available for an incoming class. Coaches and administrators who whine about the portal are incredibly hypocritical.
link to original post

Coaches get fired and leave abruptly. Can they accept a better offer if they are currently under contract? If so, that shouldn't be. Don't people understand what a contract is any more.

That crap started with professional players. They sign a huge 6 oir 8 year contract and 3 years in want to renegotiate. Should have never been allowed to happen.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 1st, 2022 at 11:02:57 AM permalink

[
With the way that coaches jump around and bail on players/schools constantly with zero notice any time another school offers them more money I have zero issue with the portal in comparison. Players can also have scholarships pulled despite having no off field issues if they want more available for an incoming class. Coaches and administrators who whine about the portal are incredibly hypocritical.
link to original post

Coaches get fired and leave abruptly. Can they accept a better offer if they are currently under contract? If so, that shouldn't be. Don't people understand what a contract is any more.
link to original post

Read up a little on Brian Kelly who just walked Notre Dame for the LSU job. Another Brian Kelly story, when the current Packers and Jets head coaches were his grad assistants at Central Michigan he invited them to a dinner at his house. When they showed up they weren’t invited to the meal they were told to shovel snow and park cars for the invited guests.

Yes it happens all the time, the other school pays off the buyout. I have a little more sympathy for kids re-thinking a commitment made at 17 then I do people triple their age doing that or worse.
kewlj
kewlj
January 1st, 2022 at 11:07:40 AM permalink

Read up a little on Brian Kelly who just walked Notre Dame for the LSU job. Another Brian Kelly story, when the current Packers and Jets head coaches were his grad assistants at Central Michigan he invited them to a dinner at his house. When they showed up they weren’t invited to the meal they were told to shovel snow and park cars for the invited guests.

Yes it happens all the time, the other school pays off the buyout. I have a little more sympathy for kids re-thinking a commitment made at 17 then I do people triple their age doing that or worse.
link to original post

Well that should not be allowed either. A contract is a contract. Period.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 1st, 2022 at 11:09:16 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Yeah so Kelly just signed an extension with Notre Dame in 2020 to go to 2024. Next year he’s in LSU with a 10 year contract worth 95 million+ incentives.
kewlj
kewlj
January 1st, 2022 at 11:13:42 AM permalink

Yeah so Kelly just signed an extension with Notre Dame in 2020 to go to 2024. Next year he’s in LSU with a 10 year contract worth 95 million+ incentives.

Well the easy answer is Notre Dame should be able to sue him for breach of contract (pretty clear case). And the amount should be based on whatever damages they come up with, based on any kind of expectations (real or not) they had. So they should be able to say their damages are 200 million. That would put an end to THAT nonsense pretty quickly, wouldn't it?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 1st, 2022 at 11:20:00 AM permalink

Well the easy answer is Notre Dame should be able to sue him for breach of contract (pretty clear case). And the amount should be based on whatever damages they come up with, based on any kind of expectations (real or not) they had. So they should be able to say their damages are 200 million. That would put an end to THAT nonsense pretty quickly, wouldn't it?
link to original post

Yeah but then Notre Dame couldn’t do that to another school so they wouldn’t want that.....

I think the reality is that most coaches that move are always currently under contract if they’re moving up. If they just got canned they probably have to take a step back. Then in college athletics you can’t really have a coach going into the last year of a contract because of the negative effects on recruiting, so the most realistic options are extension or hiring guys that are under contract.
DRich
DRich
January 1st, 2022 at 3:04:24 PM permalink

That crap started with professional players. They sign a huge 6 oir 8 year contract and 3 years in want to renegotiate. Should have never been allowed to happen.

If a contract is in place I blame the teams for renegotiating, not the players. I never blame someone for asking, the owners just need to say no.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 1st, 2022 at 3:11:25 PM permalink
Well, Notre Dame lost to Okla. State, so they don't look as if they would have been a better choice than Cincinnati for the CFP.

This is just one of those years with two elite teams, Bama and Georgia, and a large dropoff in team strength to whomever was the third best team (Utah?). Nobody in SEC was close to those two teams either.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
January 1st, 2022 at 3:35:17 PM permalink
This Rose Bowl is having incredible scores and no defense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 1st, 2022 at 5:17:07 PM permalink

If a contract is in place I blame the teams for renegotiating, not the players. I never blame someone for asking, the owners just need to say no.
link to original post

The problem with blaming the players in the pros is that, unlike just about any other professional field where someone is sought after, they have little choice in their initial contract or who they play for.

They more or less go where they are drafted if they want to be paid for their abilities, and restricted free agency or franchise tags give them little choice in their second.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 1st, 2022 at 5:28:29 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

What? The contracts tend to say what happens in these situations. And the future employer pays the damages/buy out price. The contract is “followed.” Your objection doesn’t make sense with what happens.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 2nd, 2022 at 7:23:08 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: Mission146

Gamers are going to hear, "Madden is dead," and ask, "Why would EA stop making the game!?"
link to original post

I know a guy has every version of the game. He is really into collecting them. It was the first good football video game.
link to original post

Tecmo Bowl wasn't bad for the time. I think the standard in the mid–80's was just to be fundamentally playable.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
January 2nd, 2022 at 7:24:25 AM permalink

I'd forgotten but I used to play the original Golden Tee when it first came out.
link to original post

Was it still a bar arcade machine then?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
billryan
billryan 
January 2nd, 2022 at 7:32:30 AM permalink

I'd forgotten but I used to play the original Golden Tee when it first came out.
link to original post

Was it still a bar arcade machine then?
link to original post

Yes, that's the only version I've ever played.
billryan
billryan 
January 2nd, 2022 at 8:54:58 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Well, Notre Dame lost to Okla. State, so they don't look as if they would have been a better choice than Cincinnati for the CFP.

This is just one of those years with two elite teams, Bama and Georgia, and a large dropoff in team strength to whomever was the third best team (Utah?). Nobody in SEC was close to those two teams either.
link to original post

NDs top back sat out the meaningless bowl game. Had it been for the Championship, I suspect he would have played. The Irish's inability to run cost them the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 2nd, 2022 at 9:27:43 AM permalink

link to original post

NDs top back sat out the meaningless bowl game. Had it been for the Championship, I suspect he would have played. The Irish's inability to run cost them the game.
link to original post

If that game was ‘meaningless’, then aren’t over 90% of all games equally ‘meaningless’? If you are a top 5 conference team once you lose a second game are all subsequent games meaningless? If you are not a top 5 conference team once you have lost a single game are all subsequent games meaningless? If you believe that for a game to have ‘meaning’, it must have national Championship implications, then are are truly few meaningful college football games.

Tell Smith-Njigba his game was meaningless. I’ll bet he doesn’t think so. I’ll bet his draft position also improved.
kewlj
kewlj
January 2nd, 2022 at 9:53:09 AM permalink

If the game was so meaningless, Notre Dame should have said no thank you to the invitation and turned down the 9 million dollars they received.
billryan
billryan 
January 2nd, 2022 at 11:26:24 AM permalink
He went to school to get into the NFL and win a National Championship. Once the national title was no longer possible, he chose to protect his career. As a fan, I hate his decision, but if he had blown out a knee I wasn't going to support his family for the next generation. I doubt winning a Fiesta Bowl was very high on his dream list.
billryan
billryan 
January 2nd, 2022 at 11:28:34 AM permalink

If the game was so meaningless, Notre Dame should have said no thank you to the invitation and turned down the 9 million dollars they received.
link to original post

As you said, the game was worth nine million to the school. He got the same for sitting it out as he did for playing. It was worth nothing to him.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 2nd, 2022 at 12:54:34 PM permalink

well, I've never seen anything like this before
in the middle of the game Bucs Antonio Brown walks of the field and throws his jersey and gloves into the stands

what a piece of work that guy is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmK2mS5_TY

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 2, 2022
billryan
billryan 
January 2nd, 2022 at 1:04:42 PM permalink
He had some very achievable bonuses for another million dollars. I've never been a fan of his and hopefully this was his final second chance.
DRich
DRich
January 2nd, 2022 at 2:06:47 PM permalink

He had some very achievable bonuses for another million dollars. I've never been a fan of his and hopefully this was his final second chance.
link to original post

I was a fan of his when he played QB, then he was a great receiver for the Chipiwas and his first few years in Pittsburgh. He then got a big head and became a cancer.
billryan
billryan 
January 2nd, 2022 at 2:15:51 PM permalink

link to original post

I was a fan of his when he played QB, then he was a great receiver for the Chipiwas and his first few years in Pittsburgh. He then got a big head and became a cancer.
link to original post

I don't think I knew much about him until he was a cancer.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
moses
January 2nd, 2022 at 2:29:37 PM permalink

this is one of the greatest catches I've ever seen by Johnathan Ward of the Cardinals

the slo mo starts about 0:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djiKY6zkdl8

Mission146
Mission146
January 3rd, 2022 at 10:55:25 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

link to original post

If that game was ‘meaningless’, then aren’t over 90% of all games equally ‘meaningless’? If you are a top 5 conference team once you lose a second game are all subsequent games meaningless? If you are not a top 5 conference team once you have lost a single game are all subsequent games meaningless? If you believe that for a game to have ‘meaning’, it must have national Championship implications, then are are truly few meaningful college football games.

Tell Smith-Njigba his game was meaningless. I’ll bet he doesn’t think so. I’ll bet his draft position also improved.
link to original post

I agree; there are very few meaningful college football games. (I know that's not the point you were making)
billryan
billryan 
January 3rd, 2022 at 11:29:50 AM permalink
Once upon a time, there were four meaningful bowls- Orange, Cotton, Sugar, and Rose. The team that won the title would have won one of those games. Then television created the Fiesta Bowl. Most major teams that didn't make one of those four or five ended their season. Cable tv made minor bowls more lucrative and they expanded to the point where teams qualified at .500. This year, teams were bowl eligible with five wins.
Damn straight there are a lot of meaningless games. What was the point of the SEC Championship game when both teams make the playoffs no matter how bad they looked?
DRich
DRich
January 3rd, 2022 at 3:26:09 PM permalink

Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I agree; there are very few meaningful college football games. (I know that's not the point you were making)
link to original post

i disagree. i think there are tons of meaningful college football games, they are just localized. college fans are way more into their games than pro fans.
billryan
billryan 
January 3rd, 2022 at 3:52:47 PM permalink
By that criteria, every Thanksgiving has thousands of meaningful Turkey Bowls.
moses
moses
January 3rd, 2022 at 5:38:04 PM permalink
These are 18 to 21 year old kids. The season was 11 games. The game lasted 3 hours max. The Bowl games offered the Champions of Conferences a chance to showcase their skills in front of a national audience.

No ESPN. Maybe 23 pro teams. Things are a changing. Keep up with the times.
billryan
billryan 
January 3rd, 2022 at 5:49:09 PM permalink

These are 18 to 21 year old kids. The season was 11 games. The game lasted 3 hours max. The Bowl games offered the Champions of Conferences a chance to showcase their skills in front of a national audience.

link to original post

This post caught my interest, so I went to Alabama football roster to see how many 18-21 year olds were major players for them. I was surprised to see they don't list the players ages, only if they are Seniors or Juniors, ect... So I went to their stars wikipedia pages and again no date of birth or even when they graduated high school. All it says is he is a graduate student. I'm going to guess he is older than 21 and I suspect the majority of starters on these teams are many years out of high school.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 3rd, 2022 at 5:51:53 PM permalink

link to original post

This post caught my interest, so I went to Alabama football roster to see how many 18-21 year olds were major players for them. I was surprised to see they don't list the players ages, only if they are Seniors or Juniors, ect... So I went to their stars wikipedia pages and again no date of birth or even when they graduated high school. All it says is he is a graduate student. I'm going to guess he is older than 21 and I suspect the majority of starters on these teams are many years out of high school.
link to original post

I’d be surprised. For the stars that would be giving up a bunch of prime income generating years in the NFL.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
moses
moses
January 3rd, 2022 at 5:54:05 PM permalink
I know when they rank each universities recruiting class it's based on high school Seniors. Considering red shirt status and transfer portal. Kids are probably 23 by graduation.
  • Jump to: