Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 227
April 10th, 2020 at 1:41:43 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

We would have had test kits ready early. The stockpile should have been evaluated as well and the federal government should have had the states report their needs, and manufacturing should have been initiated earlier based on a shortfall. It's up to the federal government to lead in a national emergency, even if the states have their own responsibilities.

IOW, you would have done next to nothing. Just pretend you would have known what to do based on hindsight.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 261
April 10th, 2020 at 1:47:44 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

IOW, you would have done next to nothing. Just pretend you would have known what to do based on hindsight.

If social distancing had been called for earlier

1) lives would have been saved

However

2) everyone would have resisted and cried fowl.

Being truthful here, it was a no-win call for anybody who might have been in charge
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 172
April 10th, 2020 at 1:49:00 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I took your question seriously, which is apparently way more than it deserved.
Everything is in high definition today except Bigfoot and UFOs
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 10th, 2020 at 2:07:33 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I took your question seriously, which is apparently way more than it deserved.

Your answer is like that of a doctor who looks at the ER report two days later and demands to know why the ER doc on duty did not do some obscure thing. The second doc had all the time in the world to think about it, the first was in life and death.

It is EASY to say "should have done this" when you know what happened after.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 10th, 2020 at 2:09:04 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

However

Being truthful here, it was a no-win call for anybody who might have been in charge

Exactly. We could all be put in an individual pod like a prison cell with no contact. But it all has to be balanced.

Luckily we are at about 10% of the model prediction. We are doing flipping good.
rxwine
rxwine
April 10th, 2020 at 2:10:21 PM permalink

However

I also thought "buy more ventilators" would be an unlikely early call because of the expense. But everything else was completely reasonable and not unusually costly or behavior driven prevention.

The alarm should have been going off for ventilators though when the reports from Italy started coming in.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 261
April 10th, 2020 at 2:49:17 PM permalink
The irony is that if serious early prevention had occurred and worked so well that no significant illnesses occurred that person (regardless of who or what party) would have been accused of a false alarm and wasteful spending

I read an interview years ago with the main proponent of Y2K. He claimed everyone blames him for a mass hysteria over something that never happened

He claims it never happened because people believed him and took successfulmeasures to prevent it. He claims he saved the world but no one gives him credit for it

To this day that conundrum haunts me.

What would you do? Raise hell, save the world and be called a scamming liar who wasted everyone time.

Or just let the world burn
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 10th, 2020 at 3:08:02 PM permalink

The irony is that if serious early prevention had occurred and worked so well that no significant illnesses occurred that person (regardless of who or what party) would have been accused of a false alarm and wasteful spending

I read an interview years ago with the main proponent of Y2K. He claimed everyone blames him for a mass hysteria over something that never happened

He claims it never happened because people believed him and took successfulmeasures to prevent it. He claims he saved the world but no one gives him credit for it

What would you do? Raise hell, save the world and be called a scamming liar who wasted everyone time.

I always wonder on Y2K. On one hand, lots of work was done, some of which will blow up in about 10-15 years. OTOH, we knew about much of it in 1970 when 30 year financial products were giving error messages. I was the manager so got all the letters from customers demanding to know what we were doing, at least one an internal customer, our own company!

IMHO this scare is teaching what should have been learned during Y2K. Have a few weeks to few months of food in the pantry. Have 1-3 months income in the emergency fund.

That is the big one. We saw articles a few times a year that 40% of people cannot handle a $500 emergency. I saw the food bank lines in CA. Surely there are more elsewhere, but these high-cost places are the epicenter. Will the public learn?
rxwine
rxwine
April 10th, 2020 at 3:11:56 PM permalink

Same thing I think might happen with reduction of tobacco consumption. Too much success leads to future generations thinking that cancer connection was overblown. They'll bring back the Marlboro Man when people have forgotten how 5 of them died.

Quote:

The use of the Marlboro Man campaign had very significant and immediate effects on sales. In 1955, when the Marlboro Man campaign was started, sales were at $5 billion. By 1957, sales were at $20 billion, representing a 300% increase within two years. Philip Morris easily overcame growing health concerns through the Marlboro Man campaign, highlighting the success as well as the tobacco industry’s strong ability to use mass marketing to influence the public.[23]
The immediate success of the Marlboro Man campaign led to heavy imitation. Old Golds adopted the tagline marking it a cigarette for "independent thinkers". Chesterfield depicted cowboy and other masculine occupations to match their tagline: "Men of America" smoke Chesterfields.[24]

tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
April 10th, 2020 at 4:02:33 PM permalink

This describes how a public health response is supposed to go. You stop the epidemic and most of the public complains on how much money and time was wasted on it because so many fewer people were afflicted than initially expected. Because the measures worked! Lol People like Fauci and Birx have thankless jobs.

• Jump to: