tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
May 21st, 2019 at 10:39:44 AM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

It was a fluke and a question that would

seem fairly easy for him. HR Block? And he said FedEx?

Yeah that was question. It was the company that had the most seasonal work employees I think.

Quote: PokerGrinder

To this day nobody will convince me that Jennings didn’t lose on purpose. I think he had had enough of jeopardy and didn’t want to play anymore.

The final jeopardy Ken missed in that match was pretty easy to me I thought. But the money you make for each win, meh, it's a lot to give up for the amount of work you're doing to earn it...
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 21st, 2019 at 11:22:35 AM permalink

He's making $75,000 per day. I doubt he ever loses interest in accumulating as much as he can. My instinct tells me, that while he bets sports....I doubt he was doing that well with it other than a passing hobby. I think one sports book manager said something to the effect of "he wins a little and breaks even from time to time".

He was probably more of a stay at home dad while his wife teaches kind of guy.

Jeopardy presented an opportunity...and he certainly has capitalized. Both he and his wife have made the game show circuit before.

more like 300k a day since they film 5 shows a day Still though I would think it would be taxing at some point. That is a lot of brain power to use for 5 hours a day.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2019 at 11:24:52 AM permalink

Ratings increase more than makes up for it with the increased advertising dollars. Producers are smiling, IMO.

Even though many of the games aren't competitive, they are drawing in viewers.

I don't know about that. I am no expert but from what I read the commercials are already paid for so its not like they can ask for more money. However with the ratings increase when the commercials get renewed they can raise their prices. Not sure if they can raise them enough to pay for this extra win though. I am not sure how all the interworkings go.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
May 21st, 2019 at 11:35:53 AM permalink

He's making $75,000 per day. I doubt he ever loses interest in accumulating as much as he can. My instinct tells me, that while he bets sports....I doubt he was doing that well with it other than a passing hobby. I think one sports book manager said something to the effect of "he wins a little and breaks even from time to time".

He was probably more of a stay at home dad while his wife teaches kind of guy.

Jeopardy presented an opportunity...and he certainly has capitalized. Both he and his wife have made the game show circuit before.

That is not accurate.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
May 21st, 2019 at 11:37:30 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I don't know about that. I am no expert but from what I read the commercials are already paid for so its not like they can ask for more money. However with the ratings increase when the commercials get renewed they can raise their prices. Not sure if they can raise them enough to pay for this extra win though. I am not sure how all the interworkings go.

Ratings were down 27% during his 2 week hiatus. Yes, ad dollars are locked in but they will be able to charge more to lock in ad dollars going forward. These guys live and die by the ratings vis a vie what they can charge for a commercial. The numbers for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are so enormous...James' winnings are a blip, IMO.

Their big concern is Trebek and his cancer and how much further he can go before stepping down.
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 21st, 2019 at 11:43:37 AM permalink
I’m assuming James makes significantly more per episode than Alex. I think that’s pretty funny.
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 11:57:42 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I’m assuming James makes significantly more per episode than Alex. I think that’s pretty funny.

Yep. About $35,000 more, give or take.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
May 21st, 2019 at 11:59:29 AM permalink

Alex gets a $10 million salary per year. I'm pretty sure he's happy with his lock.
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 12:14:17 PM permalink
I'm not sure how any book can accept a bet on how long he goes since its taped in advance. Even with NDA agreements, the studio audience will know when it ends before anyone else. They could tell a friend "go make a bet"....who would ever know?

Generally, the contestants have to sign a NDA as a pre requisite to receive their winnings, and if they talk and it's found out, no money. Studio audience?
GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2019 at 1:24:00 PM permalink

I'm not sure how any book can accept a bet on how long he goes since its taped in advance. Even with NDA agreements, the studio audience will know when it ends before anyone else. They could tell a friend "go make a bet"....who would ever know?

Generally, the contestants have to sign a NDA as a pre requisite to receive their winnings, and if they talk and it's found out, no money. Studio audience?

Yeah I read an article today that contestants are not paid until their air date. If they leak it then they get nothing. However the audience doesnt even sign an NDA, they simply ask them to. Ot spoil it. If he wins then there is nothing to spoil really. When he loses those are the people you gotta watch out for. Info may already be out there but I have no desire to go look it up. If anyone ever came on here and spoiled it I would lose all respect for that person. Although my opinion is meaningless.
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 2:03:36 PM permalink

Yeah I read an article today that contestants are not paid until their air date. If they leak it then they get nothing. However the audience doesnt even sign an NDA, they simply ask them to. Ot spoil it. If he wins then there is nothing to spoil really. When he loses those are the people you gotta watch out for. Info may already be out there but I have no desire to go look it up. If anyone ever came on here and spoiled it I would lose all respect for that person. Although my opinion is meaningless.

I'm in Vegas....and perusing the news, at least 5 times I've been alerted that he already won before the episode airs out here. It's my fault...specifically the NY Post puts it on their opening front page, but before the episode airs out here. I've made a note of not opening that web page after 4:30 PST.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
May 21st, 2019 at 2:24:46 PM permalink
My hunter gatherer mind can't help picking up patterns, [that may or may not exist]. What it thinks it sees is, in the first few episodes James nailed the show when he hit the DD, because he had accumulated a large poke with which to bet with, on the DD.

My HG mind sees, the DD's that James has hit lately have mostly been on the thousand dollar bet in the first round, some in the middle range. But Alex and Jeopardy know that James is going to pick all the largest clues off the bottom right away and he won't have had time to build a poke to bet large with on the DD, when he finds it. I've noticed he's picked up several DD's, right off the get go, on the bottom line of the biggest clues, and hasn't had much to bet with, which would sting the show like a bee.

So the conpiratorial mind thinks, Jeopardy is putting the majority of DD's hiding in the bottom row [or at least mid field] in the first round, to save some money. That and DI, and the grassy knoll, etc. : )

Master James needs to slide along the second and third row to build some bank, with which to bet the DD with, after he slides down to the pay line.

James if you are reading, it's been a joy watching you!
GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2019 at 2:29:18 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

My hunter gatherer mind can't help picking up patterns, [that may or may not exist]. What it thinks it sees is, in the first few episodes James nailed the show when he hit the DD, because he had accumulated a large poke with which to bet with, on the DD.

My HG mind sees, the DD's that James has hit lately have mostly been on the thousand dollar bet in the first round, some in the middle range. But Alex and Jeopardy know that James is going to pick all the largest clues off the bottom right away and he won't have had time to build a poke to bet large with on the DD, when he finds it. I've noticed he's picked up several DD's, right off the get go, on the bottom line of the biggest clues, and hasn't had much to bet with, which would sting the show like a bee.

So the conpiratorial mind thinks, Jeopardy is putting the majority of DD's hiding in the bottom row [or at least mid field] in the first round, to save some money. That and DI, and the grassy knoll, etc. : )

Master James needs to slide along the second and third row to build some bank, with which to bet the DD with, after he slides down to the pay line.

James if you are reading, it's been a joy watching you!

I have noticed the same but I am wondering if it is selective memory. Someone posted a chart in this thread about where all of the DD have been lifetime and they are skewed to the bottom already.
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 2:39:09 PM permalink
He has a look of a letdown when he gets the daily double before he has accumulated money. Some of these contestants wait years for a chance to get on the show. Tough to stomach that when you finally do get your shot....you face the greatest buzz saw in show history.

The mindset of his opponents has to change. Go down swinging. If a daily double comes up and you get it...push it all out there.

Take some shots on guesses.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 21st, 2019 at 3:00:25 PM permalink
In order to beat him, his opponents must be fast on the buzzer. Many questions can be sussed out in the few second pause after buzzing in. It seemed to me that last night, Alex was reading the questions at a slower pace. Perhaps to give James' opponents more time to think about their response, and perhaps to throw off James' buzzer rhythm... It could also be because James answers so quickly that Alex has to stretch to fill the air time.

James isn't invulnerable. There are a few categories he is weak at. Art?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 21st, 2019 at 3:13:04 PM permalink
When jeopardy wants(ed) him out, they can get him out.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
May 21st, 2019 at 3:46:20 PM permalink

When jeopardy wants(ed) him out, they can get him out.

Was that a hint that when James gets knocked out , it was Jeopardy knocking him out intentionally.?... as a matter of someone's personal opinion of course. We wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
FinsRule
FinsRule
May 21st, 2019 at 3:55:18 PM permalink
This is all speculation.

Jeopardy knows who strong contestants will be.

Jeopardy also knows categories that people are good at.

Jeopardy now knows James tendencies.

If they want him out, they can make it difficult for him.

He will get beaten. He’s not perfect.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 21st, 2019 at 4:16:24 PM permalink
He's the guy going all in at the poker tournament. Eventually, it will bite him. I don't see him touching Jennings win streak, but he might make more money.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2019 at 4:25:10 PM permalink
the elusive back to back DD.

Did he change his strategy in todays double jeopardy? He was starting at 800 and going to 2k in the same category instead of bouncing back and forth. Normally he does all the 2k ones first. Maybe he is seeing the pattern that DJ is in the high priced ones and tying to build it up first?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 21st, 2019 at 4:32:24 PM permalink

He has a look of a letdown when he gets the daily double before he has accumulated money. Some of these contestants wait years for a chance to get on the show. Tough to stomach that when you finally do get your shot....you face the greatest buzz saw in show history.

The mindset of his opponents has to change. Go down swinging. If a daily double comes up and you get it...push it all out there.

Take some shots on guesses.

That can be tough for other contestants, though. Let's say you get to final jeopardy and you have $35k and James has $34,900. The proper play is to bet $34,801.....that is, if the only goal is to win the game. But that's also quite a bit of money. It can be tough to bet it all when that money means something to you.
FinsRule
FinsRule
Thanked by
tringlomane
May 21st, 2019 at 4:45:06 PM permalink
Only winner gets the money.
RS
RS
May 21st, 2019 at 4:55:36 PM permalink

Only winner gets the money.

Oh really? I didn't know. Well then just ignore my previous post.
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 21st, 2019 at 8:50:20 PM permalink
Just unstoppable. Another 80k plus today.

Ice water running thru his veins. No fear. No hesitation.

At this point I'll be very surprised if he doesn't surpass Jennings in $$ winnings.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:17:16 PM permalink

I'm in Vegas....and ....alerted...(NY Post)...before the episode airs out here...

If I'm in I can usually see the episode mid afternoon UK time, so one way is to watch it on the internet (google jeopardy dailymotion).
tringlomane
tringlomane
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:24:24 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Oh really? I didn't know. Well then just ignore my previous post.

Yeah. 2nd gets $3000, 3rd gets $2000. Jeopardy! is much cheaper than Wheel of Fortune. All players keep what they earn at Wheel of Fortune ($1000 minimum).
FinsRule
FinsRule
Thanked by
AxelWolf
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:27:55 PM permalink
When jeopardy adds a “bankrupt” square, we know something is up...
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:35:45 PM permalink
The contestants who are now facing him have to change their mindset. I'd rather finish in the red before final jeopardy knowing I risked it all, put it all out there, guessed on certain questions, went for true daily doubles, etc.....rather than finishing with $4,600 when James has $54,000 going into final Jeopardy.

It's gonna take a miracle win to beat him or a miracle loss by him to lose.

Standard play is out the door. Some of these games look foolish. I'll have more respect for the guy who finishes minus $5,000, knowing he took big took chances to keep it close rather than seeing $54,000 vs $4,600 and $6,000.

The contestants seem to be playing with the hope that he slips up....not that they beat him.
GWAE
GWAE
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:44:00 PM permalink

Just unstoppable. Another 80k plus today.

Ice water running thru his veins. No fear. No hesitation.

At this point I'll be very surprised if he doesn't surpass Jennings in $$ winnings.

Thanks for ruining it. Maybe a spoiler tag would be respectful
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:04:48 PM permalink

Thanks for ruining it. Maybe a spoiler tag would be respectful

That was yesterday. Not today.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:23:52 PM permalink
That woman in the middle spot tonight is one of the better looking contestants I’ve seen on a game show. Maybe they are trying to distract James.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:33:30 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

That woman in the middle spot tonight is one of the better looking contestants I’ve seen on a game show. Maybe they are trying to distract James.

And I think they are rigging where the DD’s are.
GWAE
GWAE
May 22nd, 2019 at 5:53:53 PM permalink

That was yesterday. Not today.

ok thank you.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
Thanked by
tringlomane
May 22nd, 2019 at 6:28:21 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

I thought both the other two contestants were pretty tonight.

And is it bad that when I first saw them I said to myself, “He’s gonna steam roll right over them” ??
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 23rd, 2019 at 5:34:01 AM permalink
Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but here is an interesting podcast about James from the perspective of his brother-in-law, also has James and Ken Jennings.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/10/722198188/episode-912-how-uncle-jamie-broke-jeopardy
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
May 23rd, 2019 at 6:34:21 AM permalink
Interesting that one of the questions today was about a range of mountains
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpathian_Mountains
and they've just mentioned them on the news in connection with the stormy weather heading to Poland.
GWAE
GWAE
May 23rd, 2019 at 4:16:50 PM permalink
uggg want to talk about todays
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 23rd, 2019 at 4:51:44 PM permalink

uggg want to talk about todays

Me too. It'll have to wait.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
May 23rd, 2019 at 5:49:11 PM permalink
Awesome episode
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
May 23rd, 2019 at 6:11:14 PM permalink
Wish I would have seen it. Most of the games don't interest me too much. I want to see when it's not a runaway and I definitely want to see his final game.
I heart Crystal Math.
ams288
ams288
May 23rd, 2019 at 6:40:30 PM permalink
I haven’t watched it yet but I see #Jeopardy is trending on Twitter. I’m scared.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
May 23rd, 2019 at 6:54:58 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

I haven’t watched it yet but I see #Jeopardy is trending on Twitter. I’m scared.

You’ll live.
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
Boz
May 23rd, 2019 at 7:01:33 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

You’ll live.

Lies.

Just watched. I’m dead now. This is my ghost.

Oooooh aaaaaaaahhh
TDVegas
TDVegas
May 23rd, 2019 at 7:34:34 PM permalink
My thoughts on today's episode.....

Had Nate doubled up on his 2nd daily double...I believe he wins. Tough to do twice but probably what is needed to beat this guy.

Strongest contestant I've seen against James. It's almost a lock that he will get final jeopardy correct.
Last edited by: TDVegas on May 23, 2019
GWAE
GWAE
May 23rd, 2019 at 7:59:40 PM permalink
what was with his final jeopardy wager. Seems like that was just a random number
RS
RS
May 23rd, 2019 at 11:11:22 PM permalink

what was with his final jeopardy wager. Seems like that was just a random number

James’s? Oftentimes it’s something like a birthday or an amount so that when he gets it right it’s someone’s birthday.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
May 24th, 2019 at 1:29:50 AM permalink

...it’s something like a birthday....

He's won $90,812 twice, so probably the 908 part is the birthday.
tringlomane
tringlomane
May 24th, 2019 at 1:32:02 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

He's won $90,812 twice, so probably the 908 part is the birthday.

9/08/12 is when he got married.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
Thanked by
CrystalMath
May 24th, 2019 at 5:42:43 AM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

Wish I would have seen it...

The copy I watched has gone, but at the moment (13h45 BST) the last few games seem to be here ( https://www.dailymotion.com/wheel2018 - 23rd : https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7956bc )
GWAE
GWAE
May 24th, 2019 at 5:46:57 AM permalink

James’s? Oftentimes it’s something like a birthday or an amount so that when he gets it right it’s someone’s birthday.

No the other guy. He wagered 10k. That amount served no purpose.
  • Jump to: