• Threads: 119
April 19th, 2019 at 6:22:45 PM permalink
Jeopardy airs at 3:30 in Chicago.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 92
April 19th, 2019 at 6:26:03 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Shoot, I have to stay away from any social media for the next 3+ hours. (I don't want to accidentally find out about tonight's outcome beforehand.)

Jeopardy normally airs here at 7:00 pm on the local ABC network, just prior to Wheel of Fortune. However, because of the Celtics/Pacers game tonight, I see that it's scheduled to air at 9:30 pm., after they show Wheel at 9:00 pm.

you are going to be disappointed in tonights
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
April 19th, 2019 at 9:30:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I figure James knows the answer to about 90% of the questions. I think the questions by answered by other players were not because he didn't know, but lost to the clicker. That said, going "all in" is usually the right play. The only reason he might not is its a category he is very weak in, which probably don't exist (he never seems to fear any category) or it's late in the game and another player has a score he might not be able to pass if he gets the Daily Double wrong.

What would you do in this situation:

1. You have wealth of $1,000,000.
2. You are presented with an even money bet that you have a 90% chance of winning.
3. You have this opportunity once only.
4. How much do you wager, up to the million?

A wise Asian guy told me he would take it for 100% if you give him a 95% chance of winning.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 14
April 19th, 2019 at 10:21:11 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

you are going to be disappointed in tonights

Nope, I enjoyed it. Not disappointed at all. The entire Jeopardy round was exciting, since Holzhauer didn't run away with it.

I figure when he eventually loses, it will be the same way Ken Jennings lost. Going into Final Jeopardy Holzhauer will have more money than his closest competitor, but it won't be more than twice as much, probably because he risked a lot on an earlier Daily Double and missed it. He will then miss the final question, while his closest competitor will get it right.

Losing in this manner is more likely, in my opinion, than someone else finishing ahead of him going into Final Jeopardy, and getting the final question correct to stay ahead of him.

Before this Holzhauer run, the largest single day win was $77,000. (By Roger Craig, set more than eight years ago.) In 12 games Holzhauer has now beaten that $77,000 mark FIVE different times. That's absolutely amazing.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 30
April 20th, 2019 at 12:50:22 AM permalink
I'm glad someone keeps posting videos of the show online ( https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x765jxm ) as last night's had some excitement. I didjn't know the rule about the Daily Doubles and it's interesting that Holzhauer just goes all in for the early ones and seems unfazed, presumably hoping to catch up if he gets one wrong.
RisingDough
RisingDough
  • Threads: 8
April 20th, 2019 at 3:48:43 AM permalink
Why is there more than one "DAILY" double? Isn't the definition of "DAILY" once per day? This is supposed to be a smart show......pfffff
What is life if not a gamble?
GWAE
GWAE
April 20th, 2019 at 3:49:05 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Nope, I enjoyed it. Not disappointed at all. The entire Jeopardy round was exciting, since Holzhauer didn't run away with it.

I figure when he eventually loses, it will be the same way Ken Jennings lost. Going into Final Jeopardy Holzhauer will have more money than his closest competitor, but it won't be more than twice as much, probably because he risked a lot on an earlier Daily Double and missed it. He will then miss the final question, while his closest competitor will get it right.

Losing in this manner is more likely, in my opinion, than someone else finishing ahead of him going into Final Jeopardy, and getting the final question correct to stay ahead of him.

Before this Holzhauer run, the largest single day win was $77,000. (By Roger Craig, set more than eight years ago.) In 12 games Holzhauer has now beaten that $77,000 mark FIVE different times. That's absolutely amazing.

Haha I was just trolling you a little. I meant disappointed that he didnt break 100k hehehe.

At the start of this episode I thought he looked in trouble. Wondering if this was the last taping of the day and he was tired. Then he regrouped and whooped ass.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 176
April 20th, 2019 at 3:50:32 AM permalink
Quote: SM777

Are you aware the other contestants can buzz in?

He’s got a really quick buzz-in. They’re all smart, they've all passed the tests. This way he prevents a few lucky hits from countering a dozen quick answers.
NO KILL I
GWAE
GWAE
April 20th, 2019 at 5:24:46 AM permalink
I believe I read somewhere that the buzzer timing is important. If you buzz early then you are locked out for a split second or something.

We need teddys to come back and join this thread.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1248
April 20th, 2019 at 8:56:53 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I believe I read somewhere that the buzzer timing is important. If you buzz early then you are locked out for a split second or something.

That's true. I hear there is a light that is supposed to signify when it is safe to buzz in. I also hear this light is not necessarily in sync with when it really is safe. Good players have to feel out the difference, which varies from show to show.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: