coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 127
February 26th, 2012 at 10:40:53 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I thought it was the Dakotas that nixed the Keystone project (as currently there's a lot of work shipping and refining the oil in those states). The Western Canada pipeline is also under threat from BC to build it. In the latter case, from my lay man's view, it seems strange for Canada to ship the raw material at quite high cost than to refine it in situ and sell the refined products instead. There's probably a good reason why not.

Canada has been a raw materials economy for the longest time.

Not sure if this is the reason or not that they ship un-refined product vs. say gasoline.....but which has a more likelyhood of exploding under pressure or catching fire if leaked? gas over unrefined oil....you hear of oil spills now if it was gasoline the chance of it burning off is greater...all it takes is a small spark
Add to that in a place like Fort McMurray they have a hard time finding workers just to run the businesses getting the oil of of the ground.....let alone trying to fill jobs in the refining end of it

As my name used states COILMAN....I work in the oilfields doing coil tubing....to help bring oil and gas to the surface for your heating and commuting pleasures. So thanks for buying all that fuel for the cars and trucks....natural gas for the house heating.... its keeping a lot of people working.

Now for a little tidbit..... a lot of refineries got closed down last year because the companys either had to invest multi-millions to bring them up to new standards for polution emissions levels. Companys it seems figured why do that ...if we close down a few of them we create a supply issue and can profit off that.( In the USofA)

central Alberta gas is going for $1.09 a Litre 3.8L to a US gallon $4.14 a US gallon
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
February 26th, 2012 at 10:50:50 PM permalink
Just clocked $3.99 right across the street. Some places in Seattle, I've already seen $4.19.

You can thank our almost highest in the nation gas tax (WA).
ewjones080
ewjones080
  • Threads: 33
February 27th, 2012 at 1:54:45 AM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

Where I live, it's $3.75.

I thought it would be interesting to look at prices with all this stuff going on over in the Middle East.

I heard a gas station owner say in an interview, no, they're not paying a higher price for gas YET, but they anticipate a higher price and need to have the cash-on-hand right away to pay for it, so they raise the prices right away. I don't know if I buy that or not, but I have heard of other businesses doing that, especially financial services (in anticipation of inflation, etc.).

I thought that was called price gouging and quite illegal.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 27th, 2012 at 6:15:11 AM permalink
Quote:

I thought it was the Dakotas that nixed the Keystone project (as currently there's a lot of work shipping and refining the oil in those states). The Western Canada pipeline is also under threat from BC to build it. In the latter case, from my lay man's view, it seems strange for Canada to ship the raw material at quite high cost than to refine it in situ and sell the refined products instead. There's probably a good reason why not.

Canada has been a raw materials economy for the longest time.

It was Nebraska. The Keystone project is already built, shipping oil from Alberta down to Cushing, Okla., and on to the Gulf of Mexico. The Keystone XL project would more than double the capacity of that pipeline. The issue is with the heavy crude from Alberta that you have to heat up and add chemicals to to make it flow. (Unlike West Texas Light Crude). Nebraskans are worried about their farm crops and also there is a large underground aquifer that might be affected if there is a leak.

Of course there is no guarantee this will affect oil prices in the U.S.; TransCanada just wants to make sure they can get their product to market faster.

A refinery near me just shut down. We used to have some of the lowest gas prices around here because of refinery capacity.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
February 27th, 2012 at 6:20:59 AM permalink
People in my area are moaning that it recently shot up past $3.50!

And this is New Jersey - where it's illegal to self-serve!
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
February 27th, 2012 at 8:23:54 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

People in my area are moaning that it recently shot up past $3.50!

And this is New Jersey - where it's illegal to self-serve!

I'm not from NJ, but my understanding is that the difference is in how the taxes are applied. NJ taxes the refineries high and the retail outlets low. Consumers over the entire country (or at least the market area of the NJ refineries) pay taxes that go to NJ rather than just the NJ drivers paying taxes on retail sales. Is that correct?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
February 27th, 2012 at 8:26:30 AM permalink
Grand Junction Colorado 85 Octane $3.09 -$3.19 Meas County Food Stamps 10% of population
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 27th, 2012 at 9:25:51 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

It was Nebraska. The Keystone project is already built, shipping oil from Alberta down to Cushing, Okla., and on to the Gulf of Mexico. The Keystone XL project would more than double the capacity of that pipeline. The issue is with the heavy crude from Alberta that you have to heat up and add chemicals to to make it flow. (Unlike West Texas Light Crude). Nebraskans are worried about their farm crops and also there is a large underground aquifer that might be affected if there is a leak.

Thanks for the info. That's the same process thats coming under fire for the Northern Gateway pipeline proposal, tat's aiming to ship the heavy crude to Kitimat on the West Coast of BC, and from there in tankers along part of the Inside Passage and out to China. Same concerns of leaking pipes, shipping the chemicals across virgin North BC and Alberta terrain, plus concerns with tanker spills in the Kitimat Sound.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 177
February 27th, 2012 at 9:56:57 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I'm not from NJ, but my understanding is that the difference is in how the taxes are applied. NJ taxes the refineries high and the retail outlets low. Consumers over the entire country (or at least the market area of the NJ refineries) pay taxes that go to NJ rather than just the NJ drivers paying taxes on retail sales. Is that correct?

I've never heard that before, but I have no reason to doubt it. We certainly do have a lot of refineries, so it makes sense.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 422
February 28th, 2012 at 3:51:24 PM permalink
It was $3.64 when I went to the store today
and $3.84 on the way home. Up .20 in one day.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: