thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 24th, 2011 at 5:05:33 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Anything can, indeed everything does, harbor all sorts of germs and crap (spores, mold, fungi, etc). The air is full of such things, and they settle on any surface theyc ome inc ontact with. In water they can grow and multiply. That's why you don't leave water containers open, and why you wash them. but if you wash the cheap bottle of overpriced water, you should be ok.

Indeed, but the disposable type of bottle is much more prone to it, with your mouth being all over that thing. I trust a water jug people -pour- from. Not so much a bottle people drink directly from and can't get in an scrub and clean as well.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 24th, 2011 at 5:42:44 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Indeed, but the disposable type of bottle is much more prone to it, with your mouth being all over that thing. I trust a water jug people -pour- from. Not so much a bottle people drink directly from and can't get in an scrub and clean as well.

If your mouth was on it, then you arleady had the bacteria and such in your mouth to begin with. Meaning you have it also.

Besides it's as easy to scrub as any other kind of container
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
February 24th, 2011 at 5:48:06 PM permalink

. big fat con game is bottled water, and also a waste of resources... .

No its not. I have undrinkable hard well water, everybody around here does. The refillable jug water is .39 a gallon, well worth it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
February 24th, 2011 at 6:18:18 PM permalink
GAS - the one thing that I'm really surprised about is that there seems to be very few diesel cars in the US. The new diesel cars are quiet and as fast as petrol (gas) cars as a lot of them are fitted with injectors or turbos. A high % of cars in the UK are diesel and this relates to the high cost of the gas - it's a big selling point for a company that can advertise a car that does over 60mpg but can still travel at over 100mph.

WATER - I live in a great area in the UK for water as it comes from the Welsh Hills so it's soft with no aftertaste at all. I do not see the need for bottled water there, HOWEVER, in places such as Vegas (where I am now), the water even smells like a swimming pool let alone tasting it. I couldn't imagine drinking anything else than bottled water while I'm here.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 24th, 2011 at 9:35:03 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Some of that is supply. Compared to most of Europe (Norway excepted) we do get about half of our oil from domestic sources, and a great deal of the rest from Western Hemisphere countries (which by nature of the size of the American economy have to work within dictates of American fiscal policy).

If oil begins to be priced in Euros you will probably see a massive destabilization of the dollar. We are still printing our way out of the worst of our troubles. You can't print oil.

No. 2009 figures show that the United States produces 11.25 quads of oil and consumes 35.21 quads, or about 32 percent. To make up the balance, the United States imports 5.25 quads from Canada, 2.56 quads from Mexico and 2.25 quads from Venezuela. To round out the top 10, you have Saudi Arabia (2.13), Nigeria (1.71) , Russia (1.19), Algeria, Angola, Iraq, and Brazil (0.65). The other 25 percent of imports come from a plethora of nations.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 24th, 2011 at 9:45:19 PM permalink
Quote: Switch

GAS - the one thing that I'm really surprised about is that there seems to be very few diesel cars in the US.

Possibly a matter of availability and cost. As far as I know Diesel cars are more expensive than gas cars. And not every gas station sells diesel fuel.

Quote:

HOWEVER, in places such as Vegas (where I am now), the water even smells like a swimming pool let alone tasting it. I couldn't imagine drinking anything else than bottled water while I'm here.

I've had tap water at every hotel I've stayed in Vegas (Sahara IP and Rio). It seemed fine to me and I didn't get sick or suffer any discomfort. Of course, coming from Mexico I'm probably immune to all that ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 24th, 2011 at 9:56:11 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

No its not. I have undrinkable hard well water, everybody around here does. The refillable jug water is .39 a gallon, well worth it.

I wasn't talking about filtered water, sold in bulk. I understand why that's useful product for those who live in areas with non-potable water.

I was talking about $2 bottles of water a pint from the head waters of a French mountain, sold in a store in Oregon or BC or Sheffield, England. That's a waste and a rip off. Sold in a disposable bottle that half the time ends up in landfill. That's a waste of energy and time and money.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
February 25th, 2011 at 1:56:17 AM permalink

Sold in a disposable bottle that half the time ends up in landfill.

This is something else I don't understand. Oil is in the ground. We take it out, make a bottle out of it, and put the bottle back in the ground, where it came from. Where exactly is the harm? I have presented this very argument to at least three rabid Greenies over the years and they never have an answer, they just stare at me like I have dog crap on my shoe and wander away.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 25th, 2011 at 6:52:25 AM permalink
EvenBob, you make a decent point. I don't feel too badly about plastic bottles in landfills as they compact fairly well and will decompose fairly quickly. Late studies have shown that bacterial microbes living in landfills will make them decompose faster. However, it will take hundreds if not thousands of years for someone to revisit the landfill and reextract the oil from that plastic bottle. Recycling makes it available immediately for reuse meaning that it will take much less energy to extract it from the ground and create a new plastic bottle.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
February 25th, 2011 at 6:59:14 AM permalink

• Jump to: