teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 24th, 2011 at 9:20:54 AM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

I second this, you guys over there have no idea how lucky you are, here motor insurance is mandatory too! Young people pay up to $1500 a year just for insurance, some even more.

Insurance is mandatory here in The States, too. (At least in most jurisdictions, including mine). I pay $90x12=$1080 a year for insurance.

Right now I am boycotting gas because of high prices. I haven't bought gas since January. I'm commuting by bike -- in the winter -- on shitty roads. Fun!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 24th, 2011 at 9:42:16 AM permalink

I made a point of complaining about the price of fuel last time I visited a petrol station, full tank of about 40 litres for £52 ($78).

Bad idea.

As you've learned, sometimes employees talk back. But first, employees ahve no say over the price. next time talk to the owner or the manager. It won't do you any good, but you're likely to get better treatment.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 24th, 2011 at 9:45:23 AM permalink
Insewerants is mandatory in most countries/provinces/states... in BC it's all provided by one government-run corporation. I pay about $1100 per year, with about 10% no claims bonus.

I'm glad of it though, as it means there's a good chance that if some toe-rag runs into me, I can get the money out of them to fix my car.

Gas is $1.16/litre right now. That's $4.29 a US gallon or $5.22 for a super-sized UK gallon.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
February 24th, 2011 at 12:03:53 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Bad idea.

As you've learned, sometimes employees talk back. But first, employees ahve no say over the price. next time talk to the owner or the manager. It won't do you any good, but you're likely to get better treatment.

It was actually the owner, who turns out to be a friend of a friend of a friend. And he makes about £1 Million a year pre tax profits. So I am unsympathetic to a degree, he *only* make 3p a litre, government makes about 30p a litre for doing nothing.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
Nareed
Nareed
February 24th, 2011 at 12:19:51 PM permalink

It was actually the owner, who turns out to be a friend of a friend of a friend. And he makes about £1 Million a year pre tax profits. So I am unsympathetic to a degree, he *only* make 3p a litre, government makes about 30p a litre for doing nothing.

Odd. He shouldn't want to drive customers away.

Do you pay for bottled water, BTW? That's one of the most unnecessary expanses in the world. I've a water filter at home and pay for tap water, and we use a UV/filter system at the office (and that dispenses cold and hot water). I buy bottled water only when I'm out and want water, but that's rare.

Milk is way more expensive than gas, too, but no one I know consumes that much milk.
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
February 24th, 2011 at 12:25:14 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Odd. He shouldn't want to drive customers away.

Do you pay for bottled water, BTW? That's one of the most unnecessary expanses in the world. I've a water filter at home and pay for tap water, and we use a UV/filter system at the office (and that dispenses cold and hot water). I buy bottled water only when I'm out and want water, but that's rare.

Milk is way more expensive than gas, too, but no one I know consumes that much milk.

Yes I did buy the water, my in car water purification system must of been on the blink that day.....
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 24th, 2011 at 1:32:44 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Americans are so spoiled. We may have been a Superpower for much of the 20th Century, but we're on the way down right now. For all you people here in the States who are whining that gas is $3.50/gal....read the quote above. We've been paying a great price for so long compared to the rest of the world.

Some of that is supply. Compared to most of Europe (Norway excepted) we do get about half of our oil from domestic sources, and a great deal of the rest from Western Hemisphere countries (which by nature of the size of the American economy have to work within dictates of American fiscal policy).

If oil begins to be priced in Euros you will probably see a massive destabilization of the dollar. We are still printing our way out of the worst of our troubles. You can't print oil.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 39
February 24th, 2011 at 1:38:19 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

I looked yesterday at prices around the area (southwest of Houston). Most places were up a dime over the day before ($2.95 to $3.05 was pretty standard).

The same gas station that went up a dime the other day dropped back .02 by last night ($3.03) but jumped to $3.19 while I was at work today.

I drove around a bit of Houston today for work and prices were all above the $3.10 level...none were above $3.20...yet!!
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 24th, 2011 at 2:01:47 PM permalink
Quote: Jufo81

In Finland the average at the moment is 1.503 per liter which translates to $7.822 per gallon. I think the right prize for gas in US would be $10 per gallon as it would reduce the environmental effects caused by pollution from private motoring ;)

Mass transit understandably increases when the price of gas goes up. Unfortunately the regulatory agencies usually increase the price of the transit since all systems are subsidized anyway. Then the gas price goes down and the transit prices stay up.

The dissemination of jobs in the USA keeps up at a pace that mass transit can never keep up. Philadelphia peaked in population 60 years ago, and that is more the norm for the older cities. As the city centers deteriorate, mass transit increasingly is not taking people to the correct place. NYC is the major exception to the rule.

Of course, we are reaping the results of our own history. In the 1950's when Japan started building it's high speed rail system, the USA invested in interstates. In the 1980's when Europe began building it's high speed rail system, the USA deregulated airlines.

Quote: French regulation

All vehicles driving on French roads must now carry a yellow fluorescent jacket, that can be put on if the driver has to get out in an emergency. The jacket must be carried in the car, not in the boot (not in the trunk), and be readily accessible. Drivers not carrying the obligatory jacket may receive an instant fine of up to 130 Euros, if stopped by police.

Is this rule common throughout Europe, or is it being considered? I have never heard of it being discussed in the USA.
Nareed
Nareed
February 24th, 2011 at 2:20:44 PM permalink

Yes I did buy the water, my in car water purification system must of been on the blink that day.....

I have acquired one of a radical, newfangled invention called a "plastic drinking bottle." It holds clean, drinking water just as well as the overpriced, factory-bottled water bottles do. If you can't find one, then I'm told the overpriced factory-bottled water bottles can be used after you've drank all the overpriced filtered tap water, and can hold home-filtered tap water just as well :P

• Jump to: