AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
February 24th, 2011 at 4:18:24 AM permalink
Just jumped to $3.25 here in Pittsburgh. That was last night, might have gone up overnight.

Aren't we all glad we have a President who refused to allow oil drilling?
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 174
February 24th, 2011 at 4:48:09 AM permalink
$3.09 here in Northern New Jersey.

But that's not all.

Not only is it cheaper than in neighboring states, in NJ it's illegal to pump your own gas. Unless I'm mistaken, there's only one other state like that, but I don't know which.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
February 24th, 2011 at 4:51:05 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

in NJ it's illegal to pump your own gas. Unless I'm mistaken, there's only one other state like that, but I don't know which.

I believe it is Oregon. I read about it in this book a personal favourite of mine.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Jufo81
Jufo81
  • Threads: 6
February 24th, 2011 at 5:05:27 AM permalink
In Finland the average at the moment is 1.503 per liter which translates to $7.822 per gallon. I think the right prize for gas in US would be $10 per gallon as it would reduce the environmental effects caused by pollution from private motoring ;)
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
February 24th, 2011 at 6:13:00 AM permalink
Quote: Switch

£1.35 per litre in the UK where I live. That's about $2.50 per litre or $9.50 per US gallon.

Cigarettes are around $9.50 a pack of 20.

If you smoke and drive a big car then you had better be on a good income :-)

I second this, you guys over there have no idea how lucky you are, here motor insurance is mandatory too! Young people pay up to $1500 a year just for insurance, some even more.

We do however have fish and chips, the Queen and crap weather. So there!
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
February 24th, 2011 at 6:35:01 AM permalink
Richmond, BC also has this rule. My landlord was the city councillor who was responsible for this law about 40 years ago. It's still in place to this day.

Gas is $1.23/L in the Falls (about $4.75 / gallon USD). I'm planning to jump the border today and buy some at $3.50 a gallon and save myself $20.

Keep in mind that gasoline is VERY cheap here compared to Europe.

Regarding drilling, we've had this conversation. Off-shore Drilling would do very little to ease up the reliance of the US on foreign oil. The United States produces 11.25 quads (quadrillion BTU) of oil energy while it consumes 35.21. You would have to triple oil energy production to make it self-sustaining. America's solution is to use electricity to power its vehicles, raise gasoline taxes and encourage people to drive fuel efficient cars. America has an abundance of coal and natural gas which is convertbile to electricity. Yes, you would have to upgrade the grid, but it would reduce the appetite on foreign oil and would cause us to kiss up less to dictators like Chavez and Khaddafi. The reduction of demand would also lower oil prices worldwide.

A better bet is shale. Apparently, the United States has over 60 percent of the world's reserves in Shale which eclipses the total worldwide reserves of conventional oil.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 24th, 2011 at 6:42:25 AM permalink
Quote: Jufo81

I think the right prize for gas in US would be 10$ per gallon as it would reduce the climate change caused by pollution from private motoring ;)

And when that's licked, we need to do something about the unicorns.

As best I can make out, gas is currently at US $3.00 in Mexico (9.70 pesos per liter, assuming an exhange rate of 12.2 pesos to the dollar, and there being 3.78 liters to the gallon).

BTW gas prices reflect oil prices and production costs only up to a point. The rest is made of taxes and fees imposed by the government. Remove the latter and gas prices would drop all over Europe.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
February 24th, 2011 at 8:25:01 AM permalink
I made a point of complaining about the price of fuel last time I visited a petrol station, full tank of about 40 litres for £52 ($78).

He pointed out that I was reluctant to pay £1.30 a litre for oil that had been drilled up from the middle ocean, shipped back to land, refined, tested and checked, shipped to my country, transported to a fuel depot, checked again, transported to a petrol station, and then pumped into my fuel tank. Yet I was happy to pay £1.50 for a litre of spring water that ultimately fell from the sky.

He had clearly had this prepared, and was waiting for the day to unleash it...... Words failed to materialise in my mouth at the time, and I was forced to walk back to the car feeling utterly beaten. I was only three miles away I came up with "I dont drink 80 litres of spring water a week" but by that time I was too far to turn round and waste more fuel to make a point that he might even of had a better come back for.

I no longer use that petrol station.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
cardshark
cardshark
  • Threads: 9
February 24th, 2011 at 8:37:06 AM permalink
After conversions, works out to USD $4.65 a gallon. Gas prices are so high here (Montréal) because of government taxes. The breakdown of taxes in this city is as follows:

Actual acquisition cost: $2.78
Canada Excise tax: $0.37
Québec Fuel tax: $0.60
Montréal Public Transit tax: $0.11
Canada GST tax: $0.19
Québec QST tax: $0.35
Profit to Gas Station: $0.25

Tax as a % of total cost: 35%
Profit as a % of total cost: 0.5%

What's interesting to note, the GST is taxed after the other 3 gas taxes are applied to the base amount. Then, the QST is taxed after the GST and 3 other taxes are applied. That means the GST is taxed on tax and the QST is taxed on taxed tax!! And of course, we all pay for this with after tax income...

Apparently all these taxes are still not enough to fund our government programs, so the QST is going up 1% in 2012!
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
February 24th, 2011 at 8:57:31 AM permalink
Quote: cardshark

After conversions, works out to USD $4.65 a gallon. Gas prices are so high here (Montréal) because of government taxes

LOL I'd cut my right ear off to only pay $4.65

• Jump to: