tommyngo215
tommyngo215
  • Threads: 4
July 27th, 2015 at 12:12:29 PM permalink
Wow, that's just straight up high way robbery.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
July 27th, 2015 at 9:09:05 PM permalink
OIL could go below $47 a barrel today...been dropping like a rock tossed over the cliff.... a year ago it was about $100 a bbl

so I have to ask why did I just pay $116.9 per litre for regular gas tonight>? 3.8 L to a US gallon.... convert the Canadian peso to US dollars by multiplying it by about 76 cents to the dollar

thats about $3.37 US per US gallon....Canadians get taxed to death on gas

http://www.oil-price.net/
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 27th, 2015 at 11:42:58 PM permalink
Got gas today for 2.29 in W MI. Was 2.69 a week ago.
Haven't seen it over 3 bucks since last Sept. User
drivers are in hog heaven. I would be too if I still had
the cab co, I provided gas for all my cabs.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 28th, 2015 at 8:54:44 AM permalink
Refiners are making boffo profits. Check out the stock prices for MPC, Valero, Tesoro, Western Refiners (the four biggest refiners that aren't also the supermajors). Marathon (MPC) is one of the only good stocks in my portfolio...
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
July 28th, 2015 at 10:08:55 AM permalink
Paid like $2.48 per gal yesterday up on the GA NC state line. Like $0.20 less than in ATL. What? There are pipelines and serious distribution advantages to ATL dealers. But the dealer out in the middle of nowhere beats them by %10?.
Somebody is making money here, that's cool. Somebody else is making a lot of money here, maybe cool, maybe not. I assume that by the time the profits show up in my investments that they are very 'watered down'. Think 3% Beer. I just want to buy and go, and would prefer I didn't need a rape kit to decide whether everything was on the up and up.
$0.01 worth, on a budget....
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 36
August 3rd, 2015 at 9:26:48 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Paid like $2.48 per gal yesterday up on the GA NC state line. Like $0.20 less than in ATL. What? There are pipelines and serious distribution advantages to ATL dealers. But the dealer out in the middle of nowhere beats them by %10?.
Somebody is making money here, that's cool. Somebody else is making a lot of money here, maybe cool, maybe not. I assume that by the time the profits show up in my investments that they are very 'watered down'. Think 3% Beer. I just want to buy and go, and would prefer I didn't need a rape kit to decide whether everything was on the up and up.
$0.01 worth, on a budget....

I just got back from a week in NC. I probably passed you at some point, 2F! I saw gas at $2.27 in Toccoa on the way up. That was the cheapest I saw in GA. The cheapest I saw overall was $2.18 in SC on the way back yesterday.

To your point, it may be that the difference in prices between ATL and where you filled up in Northern GA were due to differences in county/local taxes. But, yeah, it's gotta be much cheaper to ship a gallon of gas to Atlanta than to places like Toccoa!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 6th, 2015 at 11:41:14 AM permalink
Man, gas prices are weird. Using this morning's gasbuddy.com numbers as my source: in San Francisco, the ARCO station at 1175 Fell Street is charging $3.29 for regular, whereas the Shell station at 1070 Oak Street is charging a whopping $4.49 for regular. These 2 stations are on the same block: the physical distance between the two is a mere 436 feet.

I guess we can't really call it "gouging" if the customer has a choice to shop the competition. Capitalism 101 would suggest that this ARCO station's low prices will eventually force the competition to lower their prices, but I lived in that neighborhood in 2005, and the prices at that Shell have always been way high up in the stratosphere. Nothing has changed.

In my opinion, when prices are that out of sync with the competition, it's bad for Shell's brand name-- they come off as unreasonably greedy. Apparently, Shell doesn't give a damn about their image.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 6th, 2015 at 11:50:41 AM permalink
$3.29 isn't "low" when the rest of the country is about $2.30-$2.50.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 6th, 2015 at 11:56:44 AM permalink
Quote: reno

Man, gas prices are weird. Using this morning's gasbuddy.com numbers as my source: in San Francisco, the ARCO station at 1175 Fell Street is charging $3.29 for regular, whereas the Shell station at 1070 Oak Street is charging a whopping $4.49 for regular. These 2 stations are on the same block: the physical distance between the two is a mere 436 feet.

I guess we can't really call it "gouging" if the customer has a choice to shop the competition. Capitalism 101 would suggest that this ARCO station's low prices will eventually force the competition to lower their prices, but I lived in that neighborhood in 2005, and the prices at that Shell have always been way high up in the stratosphere. Nothing has changed.

In my opinion, when prices are that out of sync with the competition, it's bad for Shell's brand name-- they come off as unreasonably greedy. Apparently, Shell doesn't give a damn about their image.

That's a big difference. The only ones buying Shell must be those with company credit cards.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 6th, 2015 at 12:02:03 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

$3.29 isn't "low" when the rest of the country is about $2.30-$2.50.

Well put. Per gasbuddy.com, South Carolina currently has the lowest price ($2.22 average) and California has the highest ($3.66).

Half of the electric vehicles in the United States are registered in California (CA had 102,440 EVs as of August 2014).

Probably just a coincidence, eh?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 6th, 2015 at 12:05:52 PM permalink

Well put. Per gasbuddy.com, South Carolina currently has the lowest price ($2.22 average) and California has the highest ($3.66).

Half of the electric vehicles in the United States are registered in California (CA had 102,440 EVs as of August 2014).

Probably just a coincidence, eh?

Maybe. That and all of the stupid, idiot "celebrities" with their $200,000+, 5MPG gas guzzlers are easy targets to rip off.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2015 at 1:11:34 PM permalink
$2.39 in W MI.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 6th, 2015 at 1:17:27 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

$2.39 in W MI.

$2.33 is the cheapest I've seen in this side so far.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2015 at 2:08:11 PM permalink
Fracking is killing Saudi Arabia. Literally.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/oilprices/11768136/Saudi-Arabia-may-go-broke-before-the-US-oil-industry-buckles.html
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 6th, 2015 at 2:26:08 PM permalink

$2.39 in W MI.

Damn! We are nearly a buck above that at about $3.20-$3.25. Late last month during an east coast trip to Pa, I did notice their prices were 50 cents below ours like in the $275-$2.80 range, but not like you Midwest folks. Good for you guys. :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2015 at 2:50:46 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Damn! We are nearly a buck above that at about $3.20-$3.25. Late last month during an east coast trip to Pa, I did notice their prices were 50 cents below ours like in the $275-$2.80 range, but not like you Midwest folks. Good for you guys. :)

What NV lacks in not having a state income
tax, it makes up for in other places. Gas taxes
are high and Vegas has an 8.1 sales tax, one of
the highest in the country.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
August 6th, 2015 at 2:57:11 PM permalink
$3.89 Cash Price, Regular Unleaded in Cerritos, CA this AM at a Shell Station.

Ahhhh.......California the land with high gas taxes, high Sales Tax (8%) and one of the highest state income taxes in the nation. We have it all baby!!!

And Lucky told me he paid $2.16 yesterday AM..........gas in CA costs 80% more than gas in Texas!!! That is the kind of ripoff that gets a reasonable conservative like myself saying bring on government regulation of CA refiners......and trust me, that is very hard for me to say.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
August 6th, 2015 at 3:07:52 PM permalink

What NV lacks in not having a state income
tax, it makes up for in other places. Gas taxes
are high and Vegas has an 8.1 sales tax, one of
the highest in the country.

8.1% isn't anywhere near the highest.

I live in a 8.95% area. Chicago is 9.25%. I've paid 10% sales tax on non-prepared food in Alabama before...yikes!!! Michigan charges pretty low sales taxes vs. most states.
coilman
coilman
August 6th, 2015 at 3:12:27 PM permalink
Advanced pad drilling techniques allow frackers to launch five or ten wells in different directions from the same site. Smart drill-bits with computer chips can seek out cracks in the rock. New dissolvable plugs promise to save $300,000 a well.

biggest one I worked on had 16 different wells on a pad the size of maybe 6 football fields. All wells were in the area of 5400 meters from surface to end of well. Down about 2400 m before starting to kick off and out about 2300 meters once horizontal...which meant we could frack 22 to 25 different areas with one well.

Say 24 zones to each well times the 16 wells you have 384 fracks involved .... now this is where it gets nuts

water used per frack at this site

if I remember right they were pumping sand water chemicals at a rate in the area of 24CUBES per minute

24000L = 6300 US gallons per minute

I seem to remember these fracks taking around 7 hours per zone

7X60=420 minutesX 6300gal/min= 2,640,000 gallons of water and sand per frack or over a BILLION for all the fracks

when all is said and done...this place produced unreal amount of natural gas ...and they figured they had 25 years of work up there putting new wells in....that was until the price of natural gas tanked

Dissolvable plugs....wow that would have hurt the amount of work us coil tubers did and well the $300,000 is a good number....basically a coil tubing unit is required to go onto the well running a mill and motor down the well on a string of pipe to mill out all the plugs after fracking( one per zone) and its time consuming ..... was the work we liked to do the most as our bonuses pushed upwards of $600 a day doing this

it will dissolve but when needed to hold back water and sand pumped at it under pressures upwards of 7000 lbs/sq inch...have to check into that a bit more??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shale did change the way the game was played thats for sure....but the OPEC fellas killed it as fast as they were willing to turn lowers profits

If you open this file up and go to page 20 you can see the site I was talking about above...drill rig has not completed drill operation here ....they put another 8 wells in straight line on this end of the site

now does that look like a cheap project? The head consulted used to say it was costing them a million dollars a day to run it

http://www.csur.com/images/CSUG_presentations/SARDAPeaceRiverRegionNov2013.pdf
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 6th, 2015 at 3:25:09 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

I live in a 8.95% area. Chicago is 9.25%. I've paid 10% sales tax on non-prepared food in Alabama before...yikes!!! Michigan charges pretty low sales taxes vs. most states.

Oh, they want it to go up. We won't let them.
megapixels
megapixels
  • Threads: 8
August 6th, 2015 at 4:06:55 PM permalink

Fracking is killing Saudi Arabia. Literally.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/oilprices/11768136/Saudi-Arabia-may-go-broke-before-the-US-oil-industry-buckles.html

That's an interesting read. Thanks for posting.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2015 at 4:08:27 PM permalink

It has the 13th highest, which for sure
is near the highest. It certainly isn't
near the middle or the lowest.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
August 7th, 2015 at 7:13:50 AM permalink

Not only is Chicago 9.25%, but different towns and municipalities in suburban Cook county can add to that. In Arlington Heights, tax is 11.25%. If it gets much higher, if I go out to eat, I will be "tipping" the government more than the waitress.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 7th, 2015 at 7:20:00 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

Not only is Chicago 9.25%, but different towns and municipalities in suburban Cook county can add to that. In Arlington Heights, tax is 11.25%. If it gets much higher, if I go out to eat, I will be "tipping" the government more than the waitress.

No wonder Al Bundy was always broke and poor. The exterior of his house shown in the opening credits is at 641 Castlewood Ln, Deerfield, IL
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 7th, 2015 at 9:45:08 AM permalink

No wonder Al Bundy was always broke and poor. The exterior of his house shown in the opening credits is at 641 Castlewood Ln, Deerfield, IL

It was the water bill that did him in with that Ferguson toilet. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 7th, 2015 at 10:01:47 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

It was the water bill that did him in with that Ferguson toilet. :-)

He should've got the Hashaway lo-flow Hank Hill got in season 4! ;-)
Joeman
Joeman 
August 7th, 2015 at 10:27:59 AM permalink
I had a loveseat that was almost an exact match to the Bundy's couch.We used it for tailgating at football games! Alas, we had to throw it out last year. :(

OT, just filled up @ Sam's Club in Jax, FL -- $2.229. I wonder if we will see prices below $2 soon.
teddys
teddys
August 7th, 2015 at 10:28:21 AM permalink

That makes absolutely no sense for the owner. I hope he likes losing money. You MUST lower prices to that of your competition. Gasoline is a completely fungible commodity -- nobody cares if it's ARCO, Shell, BP, Amoco, whatever. (They've tried to brand fuels but it's never taken hold.)

The flag of the station is almost meaningless. We have BP, Marathon, Speedway, and others down here, but they all get their gas from the same bulk terminal which is Marathon. I agree not good for image, though.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 7th, 2015 at 10:31:27 AM permalink
Passed a place that was $2.32.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 7th, 2015 at 10:32:24 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

That makes absolutely no sense for the owner. I hope he likes losing money. You MUST lower prices to that of your competition. Gasoline is a completely fungible commodity -- nobody cares if it's ARCO, Shell, BP, Amoco, whatever. (They've tried to brand fuels but it's never taken hold.)

The flag of the station is almost meaningless. We have BP, Marathon, Speedway, and others down here, but they all get their gas from the same bulk terminal which is Marathon. I agree not good for image, though.

We're talking about toilets here now, quit derailing the thread! :-)~
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
August 7th, 2015 at 12:01:48 PM permalink
Just filled my tank
Tampa
2.29 a gallon
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 7th, 2015 at 12:31:21 PM permalink
Quote: studmuffn

I recently saw this article explaining Cali gas prices. Refineries are seizing the cheap oil supply without lowering their output prices, virtually doubling their margin per gallon of gas. Just see midstream stocks like Tesoro and Valero over the past year, +50% earnings per share. I'm not sure how to respond as a consumer in protest.

Could respond by not buying gas? Or buy their stock?

Refining is one of the hardest parts of the industry to make money in. You have to be very good at hedging prices, but that cuts margin. When you stockpile oil if the price falls you have to eat it. Your product is a commodity, you have little control what you can sell for. Formulation requirements are always changing. Loads of regs. And a part of the population that hates refineries and fight them at every turn.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 7th, 2015 at 3:14:44 PM permalink
The station down the street has 2 chili dogs for $2.50, so I would say that is the price of 'gas' for most people. :)
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
August 7th, 2015 at 4:40:27 PM permalink
$2.69 in Prescott, Az. Should go down now that schools are back in session in many places and Summer is winding down.

ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 7th, 2015 at 5:13:28 PM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

$2.69 in Prescott, Az...

Beautiful area!!
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 11th, 2015 at 1:07:09 PM permalink
$2.34 in W MI, it's going down every day. Oil
hit $43 a barrel today, how low can it go. The
countries that depend on oil exports are frantic,
and they all blame the US for having the hubris
to go after oil in our own country.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 11th, 2015 at 1:13:45 PM permalink

$2.34 in W MI, it's going down every day. Oil
hit $43 a barrel today, how low can it go. The
countries that depend on oil exports are frantic,
and they all blame the US for having the hubris
to go after oil in our own country.

$2.31 here at a couple of spots. I won't be happy until it's back around $1.00
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 11th, 2015 at 1:32:44 PM permalink

$2.31 here at a couple of spots. I won't be happy until it's back around $1.00

I hated when it was a dollar because just
a few years before that it had been 39
cents. The whole summer of 1966 it was
19 cents a gallon in W MI.
Joeman
Joeman 
August 11th, 2015 at 2:39:27 PM permalink
The last time I remember seeing $1 a gallon (well, $0.999 to be exact) was in 1994. The internets say that a gallon of regular could be had for 84c in metro Atlanta as late as 1998.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 11th, 2015 at 2:52:23 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

The last time I remember seeing $1 a gallon (well, $0.999 to be exact) was in 1994. The internets say that a gallon of regular could be had for 84c in metro Atlanta as late as 1998.

Yup. $0.69 a gallon on the rez when I graduated in '98. I spent about the same in gas that I did in tolls driving from BUF to NYC and back. I remember being livid at the $1.24 prices on the thruway.

Pretty sad when fuel is your single biggest cost in life, and my truck payment isn't exactly small. $2.25 now, but I'm usually dropping $80+ every 5-7 days.

Perhaps when I build my next race car, I'll convert the old one back into a 60mpg econo-box. Driving a truck for 10 years is getting to me.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 11th, 2015 at 2:53:46 PM permalink

The internets .

Why do people use the word 'internets'? Is
there more than one? I can't even find a
definition of 'internets'. It's 'internet', there
is no 's' at the end of it.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 11th, 2015 at 10:08:39 PM permalink
Gas shot up to $2.69-$2.79 just today here.
coilman
coilman
August 11th, 2015 at 11:40:07 PM permalink

Gas shot up to $2.69-$2.79 just today here.

http://www.detroitgasprices.com/

need to look around a bit
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 12th, 2015 at 5:34:27 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

http://www.detroitgasprices.com/

need to look around a bit

I meant the area around where I live.
Joeman
Joeman 
August 12th, 2015 at 6:15:22 AM permalink

I can't even find a
definition of 'internets'.

Wikipedia has a pretty good one. I never knew its usage was attributed to GWB.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 12th, 2015 at 8:04:20 AM permalink
There's breaking news right now of an Indiana refinery shutdown. Expect gas to skyrocket in the area for a while.
teddys
teddys
August 12th, 2015 at 8:36:59 AM permalink

There's breaking news right now of an Indiana refinery shutdown. Expect gas to skyrocket in the area for a while.

They just happened to have an "accident' right when prices are dropping. So now they can raise prices.

Remember Enron? They had recording of the traders calling technicians in California saying, "We need that power plant to have an "accident" for a few weeks. We need to take more of Granny Jones' from Modesto's money."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 12th, 2015 at 8:51:53 AM permalink

They just happened to have an "accident' right when prices are dropping. So now they can raise prices.

Remember Enron? They had recording of the traders calling technicians in California saying, "We need that power plant to have an "accident" for a few weeks. We need to take more of Granny Jones' from Modesto's money."

Let's see if the Marathon refinery on the south side of Detroit goes next.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
August 12th, 2015 at 9:15:36 AM permalink

Whoa!
Teddy is one of dem conspiratorial creatures?
I hadn't picked up on that previously.
Truth is, real truth is....
They can't be trusted, watch your back.
Define 'they' any way you like, same answer.
Happy Popsicle day , or whatever it is we were supposed to honor today....
Then glance over your shoulder, just to try to stay safe.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
DoubleOrNothing
DoubleOrNothing
  • Threads: 0
August 12th, 2015 at 9:32:00 AM permalink

Wikipedia has a pretty good one. I never knew its usage was attributed to GWB.

Call it the "internuts"; and bring a chair and some cashews.
I can't believe what I believe.
  • Jump to: