Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 5th, 2012 at 5:08:04 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Where is that?
Gas hasn't been under $.70 a gallon since the 70's...

Cattaraugus Indian Reservation, summer of 1998. I remember being OUTRAGED at $1.12 gas off the rez lol.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
shupe03a4
shupe03a4
  • Threads: 4
March 5th, 2012 at 6:18:24 PM permalink
Face- The diesel trucks get pretty poor mileage even unloaded. The BEST are not even getting 25hwy.
Mostly because they are geared for heavy loads. I love the VW diesels, But for what you describe I would go for an Audi A3, you can get the TDI which has lots of torque and can still get 40MPG.
Plus Audi's can be purchased with Quattro, the AWD in the audi's are awesome. I never put on chains or studs.(I am biased though, having an Audi repair shop)
Anyway, the question to ask, is why do you need a truck everyday?
A3- 5people, wagon holds almost like pickup, AWD, up to 40MPG...I'm just saying. Also good resale value if you buy one 2-3 years old.

Bay Area CA, today I put in 93 @4.41/gal.
Reg is about $4.19

BTW, I tell people who ask about better mileage, The best thing you have control over is your right foot. Give people more room, don't smash down the hwy, keep tires at spec, yada yada yada.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
March 5th, 2012 at 6:49:26 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Since you brought it up... Is there a way to come out better by buying a diesel truck? I always here the diesel arguement about gas mileage and torque, and if I was just ripping around, I'd buy a Jetta TDi in a heartbeat. But I have toys and live in ski country, so I NEED a truck. I'm in the market, so is there any similarities between the truck and car?

I can say one thing about diesel trucks and that is that you will do better at resale time if you don't run your vehicle until it dies like I do. When I did auto loand, diesel engines in full-size trucks were the *only* option we gave consideration to when we valued the vehicle for loan purposes.

I'd ask what "truck things" do you need? If you just need the bed and to tow light stuff like snowmobiles or jet-skis then you would probably be better getting a six-cylinder model. If youy tow heavy stuff, like a ski-boat or camper-trailer then break out the calculator.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 5th, 2012 at 6:51:50 PM permalink
Quote: shupe03a4

Anyway, the question to ask, is why do you need a truck everyday?

I live in the sticks. Total dirt road, nearest neighbor out of eyesight, gets plowed once a day whether it needs it or not type of place. I also live in the snow belt and ski country, which means 1'+ of snow on the roads and several major hills. I live in a flood plain, where I've had water come over the hood of my old lifted Ram. I have a boat. I have an ATV. I haul wood. I drive offroad 50+ times a year to camp sites, ATV trails and fishing holes. Believe me, I've tried thinking of ways I could adjust and get back into a car... I just can't do it.

BTW, I tell people who ask about better mileage, The best thing you have control over is your right foot. Give people more room, don't smash down the hwy, keep tires at spec, yada yada yada.

Yeah, I'm all over that. The gentle acceleration, taking routes that have the least slowing or stopping, keeping the tires hard, the air filter clean, the engine up to spec... still burning $400 a month ><. I kind of figured a diesel truck was about towing houses up a mountain side, but didn't hurt to ask. =/

Quote: AZDuffman

I'd ask what "truck things" do you need? If you just need the bed and to tow light stuff like snowmobiles or jet-skis then you would probably be better getting a six-cylinder model.

Yeah, I run them until they die, have been on life support a year, ignore the DNR, send them through a few resurections, and hold until they simply disintegrate =)

I almost got a 6, was just about to sign for a 5speed 6cyl Tacoma, but let the guy talk me out of it. I just wonder what the true savings would be, you know? Due to all the hills and the time spent towing or hauling (nothing super huge, just often) would having to use more pedal due to the lesser power negate the 6cyl savings. If we're talking saving $100 a year, I'd rather have the comfy-ness of the big cab 8. If we're talking several hundreds, well, that's worth cramped legs.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 5th, 2012 at 7:16:22 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I almost got a 6, was just about to sign for a 5speed 6cyl Tacoma, but let the guy talk me out of it. I just wonder what the true savings would be, you know? Due to all the hills and the time spent towing or hauling (nothing super huge, just often) would having to use more pedal due to the lesser power negate the 6cyl savings. If we're talking saving $100 a year, I'd rather have the comfy-ness of the big cab 8. If we're talking several hundreds, well, that's worth cramped legs.

When you get to that size there is maybe a 3-5 mpg difference based on expedrience of several family members owning simialr 6/8 vehicles over my life. My dad has a L-6 Envoy and he doesn't miss the V-8 which he usually owned in big Detroit-Iron all his life. He never tows, however. My brother had a V-6 Explorer and upgraded to a V-8 when he replaced it since he tows a heave straight-inboard V-8 ski boat and the six all but begged for mercy on hills. Going back years the V-6 shifted the transmissions to death on the Regal/Monte Carlo/Cutlas Supreme/Grans Prix's in the family (crappy trannys in those days) while the small V-8 was more "natural" in them.

Consider converting MPG to the international "gallons per 100 miles" rating (though everyone else uses the silly metric system.) This actually makes it easier to compare in your head and makes it more "real."
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
March 5th, 2012 at 11:00:23 PM permalink
Consumer Reports just did the annual vehicle rodeo in the April '12 issue.
The combined MPG for Diesel trucks looks to be in the 16 to 18 MPG range: gassers 14 - 17.

The one thing missing is a 6-cyl Diesel. Perhaps I overlooked it.
A 4.0L TD 6cyl should be enuff and get north of 20 mpg
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
March 5th, 2012 at 11:22:07 PM permalink
Update from accross the pond.

We are paying the equivilent of $10.07 a gallon.
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 6th, 2012 at 5:50:14 AM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

Update from accross the pond.

We are paying the equivilent of $10.07 a gallon.

Do they regulate the price there like the USA did in the 1970s or are stations free to charge what they like?
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
March 6th, 2012 at 6:22:46 AM permalink

Face- The diesel trucks get pretty poor mileage even unloaded. The BEST are not even getting 25hwy.

You can get 25-30 combined out of Land Cruiser 80 diesel manual.
But it has to be diesel manual 80 series, 24 valve, driven reasonably.
It's also a proper offroader, the last among LC, and one of the last among mainstream cars.

Most people going from gas to diesel overrev their engine, ruining their gas mileage. Some underrev and end up doing the same.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
March 6th, 2012 at 6:55:42 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Do they regulate the price there like the USA did in the 1970s or are stations free to charge what they like?

Pretty sure they can name their price, motorways are often 5-10% more, supermarkets usually 5-10% less than average
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727

• Jump to: