CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
March 6th, 2012 at 8:52:25 AM permalink
For some reason, we have the cheapest gas in the country right now. I paid $3.089 at Conoco yesterday. If I desired, I could damage my car at U-pump-it for $3.019.

I looked at prices on GasBuddy.com and our prices are even cheaper than the cheapest city listed, which was in Fort Collins, CO, about 45 minutes north of me.
I heart Crystal Math.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
March 6th, 2012 at 9:00:59 AM permalink
Same here in Grand Junction, 250 miles from Crystal and on the other side of the Rocky Mountains, Go figure !
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 6th, 2012 at 10:53:28 AM permalink
Quote: WizardofEngland

Pretty sure they can name their price, motorways are often 5-10% more, supermarkets usually 5-10% less than average

It's free range, but a lot of the prices is taken up with taxes, so there's less over all range.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
March 6th, 2012 at 3:34:24 PM permalink
Outside of taxes, prices seem to generally follow the AGI (Average Gross Income) of the Zip-Code... Higher AGI=higher gas prices.
One notable exception is "Desert Refill Stations".
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
March 7th, 2012 at 1:57:26 PM permalink
I paid $4.85/gal on the big island of Hawaii a few days ago.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 422
March 29th, 2012 at 1:51:56 PM permalink
They just popped to $4.15 in W MI yesterday. I saw a post-it
note on a pump and then read this.

Guess what I'll be doing from now on.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
March 29th, 2012 at 2:07:31 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

They just popped to $4.15 in W MI yesterday. I saw a post-it
note on a pump and then read this.

Nice. I first heard about the notes about a year ago, probably died down when price moderated last summer.

FWIW here in W-PA we are pennies under $4/gal for regular with premium grades over it already. Two weeks ago in W-NY they were already over $4 in sopts. I expect $4 here next week.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 29th, 2012 at 2:23:12 PM permalink

Driving a hybrid? :)

Seriously, its an effective political salvo but Obama has very little to do with gas prices. Oil is still a free market in the U.S.. We are not China, or even Mexico, that has a state run monopoly on fuel. The price reflects what people are willing to pay. Would the Keystone XL pipeline decrease domestic prices? Maybe; or maybe all that oil would just flow to the Gulf and go to other countries. It is what the market demands.

The price of oil going up is actually good for exploration and shale drilling because its makes it economically feasible for companies to develop those technologies. The plunge in natural gas prices has pretty much put the chill on shale drilling in PA/NY.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 422
March 29th, 2012 at 3:25:54 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Seriously, its an effective political salvo but Obama has very little to do with gas prices. .

Oh, but he does. If he allows more drilling and
more exploration, it sends a signal to OPEC and
they get worried that we're serious and they find ways
to get the price down.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 29th, 2012 at 5:31:51 PM permalink

Oh, but he does. If he allows more drilling and
more exploration, it sends a signal to OPEC and
they get worried that we're serious and they find ways
to get the price down.

Maybe, but doubtful. OPEC has fuck-all influence on global oil prices now. They lost the power to control the price of petroleum by opening a spigot in Jeddah years ago. I'm sure if they could lower prices now they would. They see the high prices make us start getting serious about developing alternative fuels and energy sources, and they get scared that the sole tentpole of their economy may become obsolete.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4

• Jump to: