Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 27th, 2023 at 2:44:56 PM permalink
Stir fry shredded pork with spinach and zucchini noodles on top.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 1st, 2023 at 10:10:35 PM permalink
Fried fish sandwich.

Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
October 2nd, 2023 at 12:58:00 AM permalink
Hadn’t seen any huge slices of white bread in a while. I was getting concerned. Hope it was a memorable big bulky sandwich. Have you logged it into your Jenny Craig diet tracker app ? Probably best to take a thousand extra steps after eating that
It’s all about making that GTA
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
October 2nd, 2023 at 7:01:09 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #9

1) Born in 1897, what Italian immigrated to New York City at age 16, worked his way up to head chef at the Plaza Hotel, opened his own restaurant in Cleveland, and then achieved international fame selling his spaghetti sauces and packaged pasta meal kits?

2) On what TV show is chef Gordon Ramsay invited to spend a week with a failing restaurant in an attempt to revive the business?

3) On the American version of what Japanese TV cooking competition does the battle take place in Kitchen Stadium with the Chairman shouting "Allez Cuisine!" to begin the contest?

4) If you pour alcohol onto a dish (such as Cherries Jubilee), then light it on fire, you've done what cooking procedure that many chefs think is strictly a show-biz aspect of the restaurant business?

5) "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" is a famous cookbook written by French chefs Simone Beck, Louisette Bertholle, and which American chef who also did the English translation?

No searching please.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 2nd, 2023 at 7:52:24 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Hadn’t seen any huge slices of white bread in a while.
link to original post

I do not eat white bread. That's five seeded whole wheat bread. 30 calories a slice compared to 80 calories in a slice of white bread. The entire sandwich is probably around 200 calories or less.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 2nd, 2023 at 8:05:35 AM permalink
Perhaps you could play some extra roulette this month to buy those $3 fake meat burgers you went on about.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 2nd, 2023 at 8:17:49 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Perhaps you could play some extra roulette this month to buy those $3 fake meat burgers you went on about.
link to original post

Those were way too processed for me to ever eat on a regular basis. I avoid processed food like it's the plague and I only ate those because they were something new and I didn't want to waste them. The list of ingredients on those things was frightening.
billryan
billryan
October 2nd, 2023 at 8:40:53 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

Those were way too processed for me to ever eat on a regular basis. I avoid processed food like it's the plague and I only ate those because they were something new and I didn't want to waste them. The list of ingredients on those things was frightening.
link to original post

You made numerous posts about how good they were, but you couldn't spring for $10. Now it is too processed and frightening.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 2nd, 2023 at 10:19:24 AM permalink

You made numerous posts about how good they were, but you couldn't spring for $10. Now it is too processed and frightening.
link to original post

They are $18 a package and not 10. And they were surprisingly good as is most processed food because it's full of salt and fat and all the kinds of crap people love. But it was a one-off for me, I eat as little processed food as possible. The bread I eat is low carb and it is super processed but I don't have any choice there. I think it's the only processed food that I eat.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 2nd, 2023 at 2:58:32 PM permalink
I used an air fryer today for the first time. It worked better than I expected. I probably won't buy one, but I will think about it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
October 2nd, 2023 at 3:36:38 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I used an air fryer today for the first time. It worked better than I expected. I probably won't buy one, but I will think about it.
link to original post

More detail?
What did you cook? How did it compare? Do you usually use a conventional deep fat fryer?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
October 2nd, 2023 at 4:05:21 PM permalink
I love my air-fryer. I've never used a regular deep fryer as I don't eat much fried food. I think the Air-fryer is a misnomer; they are just convection ovens. There is a learning curve, but it's not that tough.
I've encountered a problem with the counters in my new house, as the space between cabinet and countertop isn't enough for either my air-fryer or countertop dishwasher.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
Dieter
October 2nd, 2023 at 4:25:32 PM permalink
I’m a big fan of a toaster oven with an air fryer setting. Extremely versatile. Preheats and cooks faster than an oven. Reheats things much better than an oven.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 2nd, 2023 at 4:46:09 PM permalink

link to original post

I bought one a couple years ago used it a few times and returned it. It did nothing I couldn't already do with appliances that I already had.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 2nd, 2023 at 5:25:01 PM permalink
Vegetable hodge-podge; onion, carrot, celery, red cabbage, green cabbage. Stir fried in the wok.
Some sliced up chicken thighs, seasoned lightly and pan fried to lovely golden.
Served with rice.

The girls were quite pleased with it. The chicken came out tender, succulent, and nicely flavoured.
There are enough leftover vegetables for me for a few days, which is nice.

(I'll have to re-evaluate in the morning, since almost everyone here knows how to chop up bacon and make fried rice out of leftovers for breakfast.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 4th, 2023 at 11:28:53 AM permalink
Fried eggs with turnip cottage fries and turkey sausage.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 4th, 2023 at 12:35:28 PM permalink
Pork chop sandwich.

Pan fried the pork loin chop until it was mostly golden (with a few brown crispy bits), brushed lightly with A1, and left it in the pan for another minute or two.

Dropped it onto a gently toasted bun. The cut faces were just dried and crunchy, with barely any color from toasting.

Succulent, not too salty, and hit the spot.

I didn't feel like adding lettuce, mayo, and a slice of tomato, but that would have been quite nice.
DRich
DRich
October 4th, 2023 at 1:08:59 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

link to original post

More detail?
What did you cook? How did it compare? Do you usually use a conventional deep fat fryer?
link to original post

I just cooked some frozen orange chicken (basically chicken nuggets). They took about 10 minutes in the air fryer and would have taken at least 30 minutes in the oven.

They came out nice and crispy without using any oil. I rarely fry anything in oil because I am lazy, not that I am concerned about health. I love fried foods but it makes a mess and stinks up the house. I used to fry fish in oil but my wife started making me do it outside so I gave up.
billryan
billryan
October 4th, 2023 at 2:32:33 PM permalink
It's National Taco Day.
Taco Bell re-introduced their Taco a Day promo for $10 and sold out almost instantly.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 4th, 2023 at 2:48:57 PM permalink

It's National Taco Day.
Taco Bell re-introduced their Taco a Day promo for $10 and sold out almost instantly.
link to original post

Did you fill your trunk too or just the back seat.
billryan
billryan
October 4th, 2023 at 3:19:07 PM permalink

It's National Taco Day.
link to original post

link to original post

As if I'd get off my couch. Wednesday is when the new local commercials premier on Tuscon stations.
DRich
DRich
October 4th, 2023 at 5:28:19 PM permalink

It's National Taco Day.
link to original post

link to original post

As if I'd get off my couch. Wednesday is when the new local commercials premier on Tuscon stations.
link to original post

I am a real American, I only eat taco's on Tuesday's.
billryan
billryan
October 4th, 2023 at 5:35:17 PM permalink

It's National Taco Day.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

You'd think National Taco Day would consider that.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
Gialmere
October 4th, 2023 at 6:01:54 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

1) Born in 1897, what Italian immigrated to New York City at age 16, worked his way up to head chef at the Plaza Hotel, opened his own restaurant in Cleveland, and then achieved international fame selling his spaghetti sauces and packaged pasta meal kits?

Chef Boy RD (sic)

2) On what TV show is chef Gordon Ramsay invited to spend a week with a failing restaurant in an attempt to revive the business?
Kitchen Nightmares, although on the latest season he only spends 1 day and it’s garbage

3) On the American version of what Japanese TV cooking competition does the battle take place in Kitchen Stadium with the Chairman shouting "Allez Cuisine!" to begin the contest?
Iron Chef

4) If you pour alcohol onto a dish (such as Cherries Jubilee), then light it on fire, you've done what cooking procedure that many chefs think is strictly a show-biz aspect of the restaurant business?
flombay (sic)

5) "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" is a famous cookbook written by French chefs Simone Beck, Louisette Bertholle, and which American chef who also did the English translation?
not sure but going to guess Julia Childs

No searching please.
link to original post

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 4th, 2023 at 6:46:55 PM permalink

It's National Taco Day.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

You'd think National Taco Day would consider that.
link to original post

Could be averaging with tacofredag.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 6th, 2023 at 5:15:34 PM permalink
A (single) scrambled egg on toast with cream cheese.
The portion size is modest enough that I don't feel overwhelmed afterwards.

Later, in the evening, I had a vodka & tonic.
Since I dislike V&T's, this always used to be my lunch-at-the-bar cocktail of choice. I knew that when they started tasting good, I was going to be decidedly unproductive in the office that afternoon.
The first sip was disappointingly pleasant, so I responsibly cut myself off.
DRich
DRich
October 7th, 2023 at 5:27:20 AM permalink
My wife made a nice pot roast last night. I had it with mashed potatos but of course I didn't eat any of the other vegetables.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 7th, 2023 at 6:48:36 AM permalink
I've always loved burgers - with no cheese

Shake Shack has about the best burger I've ever had - they have their own unique sauce

I often make them myself - and my home cooked burger is pretty good - but not as good as theirs

Please don't feed the trolls
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 7th, 2023 at 6:58:30 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Shake Shack has about the best burger I've ever had - they have their own unique sauce

I often make them myself - and my home cooked burger is pretty good - but not as good as theirs

link to original post

You can buy the same beef shake shack uses if you like. It’s Pat LeFreida.

And here’s a link to a reverse engineered Shack Sauce recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/shake-shack-sauce-recipe-7107282
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
lilredrooster
October 7th, 2023 at 7:22:20 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

I agree, Shake Shack is not a fast food burger it is more of a restaurant burger.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
Thanked by
Gialmere
October 7th, 2023 at 7:54:47 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

4) If you pour alcohol onto a dish (such as Cherries Jubilee), then light it on fire, you've done what cooking procedure that many chefs think is strictly a show-biz aspect of the restaurant

No searching please.
link to original post

Chef Boyardee
Kitchen Nightmares
Iron Chef
Flambé (It definitely gives a nice burnt caramel taste to sugary things tho)
Julia Child
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
October 7th, 2023 at 7:57:00 AM permalink

Sautéed mushrooms, garlic, shallots and tomatoes on 5 grain toast, with melted cheese and ghost pepper sauce.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Mosca
October 7th, 2023 at 8:10:28 AM permalink
Nice looking mushrooms.
Very nice.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
October 7th, 2023 at 12:16:40 PM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #9 Answers

Ettore Boiardi (aka Chef Boyardee)

When Boiardi opened his own restaurant, his customers so loved the spaghetti sauce that they asked for take home samples. These were provided in washed out milk bottles. A husband and wife who owned a grocery store chain in town showed him how he could can his sauces which they would then sell in their stores. They even talked their wholesale distributor into carrying the line. For branding on this endeavor, Boiardi decided to change the spelling of his name as Americans (including his own sales people) had trouble pronouncing it.

The rest, as they say, is history. Chef Boyardee would essentially become the first celebrity chef, achieving a level of fame that few in the culinary world would ever equal.

Kitchen Nightmares

They actually filmed an episode of this at a restaurant near my home. This was back during the original run and the show would begin with Chef Ramsay sampling various items from the menu to see what hand he was being dealt. When he got to the monte cristo sandwich, instead of tasting it he held it over a glass and squeezed out a few ounces of grease. Yuck.

I have no idea if that was staged or not. On more than one occasion the show was sued by restaurant owners furious at how the "nightmares" were exaggerated for dramatic purposes. What I can say is that the restaurant was out of business within a year of the episode airing.

Iron Chef

When the Food Network began airing episodes of the original, Japanese "Iron Chef" it had a hit on its hands. The show not only had an exciting competition concept but they dubbed the voices in a kung fu theater style that Americans always find amusing. The first American version (taking place in Vegas and narrated by William Shatner) didn't do well. The show was retooled and the new version became a smash hit featuring some household name chefs like Bobby Flay and Wolfgang Puck.

Like Scooby Doo, Iron Chef is considered to always be in production as new specials and offshoots continuously appear.

Flambe

In blind taste tests, few people can tell if a dish is flambe or not. This is why many chefs will do it for the enjoyment of their diners but think it does little more than burn the food. To be fair, those that can taste the difference prefer the flambe flavor so the debate continues.

Another use of the flambe technique is found in Japanese teppan restaurants where the food is cooked in front of the guests. The "show" begins with the chef pouring alcohol onto the grill and lighting it into a pillar of flame. This not only starts things off with some oohs and ahhs, but the chef can also study the residue on the grill to determine where the hot spots are for cooking and where the cooler spots are for warming.

Julia Child

The classic "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" was so popular that it's been in print for over 60 years. Impressive for a cookbook.

As the only American author, Childs promoted the book in the States doing interviews and appearing on talk shows. This led to her doing a slew of cooking shows over the decades. Her fame was such that she was spoofed on SNL and had a movie made about her life starring Meryl Streep.

Both gamerfreak and Mosca sweep the category!
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 7th, 2023 at 1:02:21 PM permalink

Continuing to clean up the house, we're digging through moving cartons and old papers. The recycling bin only gets picked up every 2 weeks, and the pile would overflow... so it's periodic bonfires in the fire ring out back to dispose of the excess material.
Today's had some bits of an old shipping pallet and a log from shrub pruning, which burned down to a heap of lovely coals.
I was told "no, Daddy! Those fire forks are ONLY for MARSHMALLOWS!" I disrespectfully ignored her protestations and impaled a hotdog with the fork and headed outside.
About 15 minutes of perfectly pleasant sitting by the fire in a folding chair later, I had myself a lovely charred hotdog.
I'm not a purist. I always dress the bun, rather than topping the dog on the bun.
It's really hard to get roller grill dogs with the texture I like. Much easier with an open fire.

Mosca
Mosca
October 7th, 2023 at 1:10:42 PM permalink
Both gamerfreak and Mosca sweep the category!
link to original post

Eh. Those were easy, not like the music questions from a few years ago, some of which were devilishly and wonderfully hard.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
EvenBob
October 7th, 2023 at 1:14:17 PM permalink

Smoked brisket grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough, with 6 year aged Balderson’s cheddar and grilled red onions.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 7th, 2023 at 2:19:15 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Smoked brisket grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough, with 6 year aged Balderson’s cheddar and grilled red onions.
link to original post

Thank you for the pictures, nobody but me usually posts them.
DRich
DRich
October 7th, 2023 at 3:27:09 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

[spoiler=A hot dog with mustard snd relish.]

A hot dog should not be desecrated with anything on it.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 7th, 2023 at 3:42:17 PM permalink

link to original post

The bun was extra flavorful and juicy.
The hotdog was plain on top of it. ;)
DRich
DRich
October 7th, 2023 at 4:20:34 PM permalink

link to original post

The bun was extra flavorful and juicy.
The hotdog was plain on top of it. ;)
link to original post

I started a new job last week and was very surprised that the hot dog they sell in the snack bar was excellent. Hot dog, bun and nothing else. It was juicy and flavorful and only $3. I normally don't eat any lunch but since I had to catch a plane after work I substituted lunch for dinner.
Mosca
Mosca
October 7th, 2023 at 6:40:55 PM permalink

Thank you for the pictures, nobody but me usually posts them.
link to original post

I got a good one planned for tomorrow’s breakfast. I only eat twice a day since I retired, so I try to make each meal interesting. They don’t all work, but his one is going to.
Ace2
Ace2
October 7th, 2023 at 8:23:07 PM permalink

link to original post

A human body should not be desecrated by putting a hot dog in it
Mosca
Mosca
October 7th, 2023 at 9:02:18 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

A human body should not be desecrated by putting a hot dog in it
link to original post

Counterpoint: Hot dogs are freakin’ awesome.
Ace2
Ace2
Thanked by
Mosca
October 7th, 2023 at 9:24:36 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

link to original post

I was about to say “Dang, that actually looks pretty good for a change, EvenBob”
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 7th, 2023 at 10:39:15 PM permalink
Pan fried ribeye in garlic compound butter. If you don't know what compound butter is you don't know what you're missing.

Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
rawtuffEvenBobunJon
October 8th, 2023 at 6:18:00 AM permalink
Green pepper stuffed with roasted red pepper, bacon, cheese, with an egg cooked inside. Freshly made tomatillo-Hatch salsa and 5 grain toast.

billryan
billryan
October 8th, 2023 at 8:21:53 AM permalink
Attending a Firehouse chili cookoff today. I've no idea how it works, but the ad says chili from almost three dozen fire departments will be offered. I'm not a big chili guy, but when in Tucson......
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 8th, 2023 at 8:36:42 AM permalink

Attending a Firehouse chili cookoff today. I've no idea how it works, but the ad says chili from almost three dozen fire departments will be offered. I'm not a big chili guy, but when in Tucson......
link to original post

Sounds good actually. Is there any prize for the best chili?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
October 8th, 2023 at 8:40:46 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

Sounds good actually. Is there any prize for the best chili?
link to original post

I imagine so. It's a big social event, with bands and performance artists, pet adoptions and the like.
  • Jump to: