Thread Rating:

Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
Thanked by
EvenBobodiousgambit
October 17th, 2023 at 7:31:06 PM permalink
Dieter mentioned kielbasa and eggs. I had actually been thinking about that myself. So I made a kielbasa omelet with some aged Gruyère.

A falling knife has no handle.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 17th, 2023 at 11:48:46 PM permalink
Cooked a 24-ounce tri-tip and two small baked potatoes. Ate half the steak and sliced the rest for a salad tomorrow. There wasn't a lot of potato in them, but the skins were perfectly cooked. Some infused butter and bacon bits hit the spot.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 18th, 2023 at 1:42:16 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Dieter mentioned kielbasa and eggs. I had actually been thinking about that myself. So I made a kielbasa omelet with some aged Gruyère.

link to original post

I used to be able to get home-made kielbasa at a little tiny corner grocery store in Sharon PA. An old man made and sold it there, and it was to die for. It was funny, obviously he had a limited amount and he kind of acted like he might decline to sell it to you.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 18th, 2023 at 1:46:49 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Cooked a 24-ounce tri-tip and two small baked potatoes. Ate half the steak and sliced the rest for a salad tomorrow. There wasn't a lot of potato in them, but the skins were perfectly cooked. Some infused butter and bacon bits hit the spot.
link to original post

For baked potatoes, you mention the skin being right, in my opinion that's important. You do *not* wrap the potato in foil! Cook it unwrapped and the skin will get nice and crispy
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mosca
Mosca
October 18th, 2023 at 4:02:48 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I used to be able to get home-made kielbasa at a little tiny corner grocery store in Sharon PA. An old man made and sold it there, and it was to die for. It was funny, obviously he had a limited amount and he kind of acted like he might decline to sell it to you.

Here in NEPA there are dozens of stores that just sell kielbasa. This is from Tarnowski’s, five time winners of the Plymouth PA kielbasa festival.

Last edited by: Mosca on Oct 18, 2023
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 18th, 2023 at 4:17:11 AM permalink
Is slicing the kielbasa like pepperoni fairly common?
I've always had it in larger chunks.
(Looks good.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
Mosca
Mosca
October 18th, 2023 at 6:51:13 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Is slicing the kielbasa like pepperoni fairly common?
I've always had it in larger chunks.
(Looks good.)

It depends, it made sense for the omelet. And we often do charcuterie boards with kielbasa as one of the sausages, cut into rounds. People think of it as déclassé, but good kielbasa is as good as any other sausage. It pairs well with sharp hard cheeses, and fruit; and not so well with soft cheeses, bries, blues, etc.
Mosca
Mosca
October 18th, 2023 at 6:55:15 AM permalink
Eggs in purgatory, Italian shakshuka, etc; call it whatever you want to. This came out pretty good. I had a dozen or so Roma tomatoes that I needed to use in the next couple days, so I made a tomato sauce base.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 19th, 2023 at 10:21:02 AM permalink
restaurant near me - Don Pollo - rotisserie Peruvian chicken

best chicken I've ever had

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
October 19th, 2023 at 10:49:59 AM permalink
I craved an old favorite I hadn't had in years, so I cooked up an excellent pizza burger. A six-ounce steak burger with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese served on a toasted roll with butter and parmesan cheese. I almost cooked two, but am glad I didn't. One was more than enough.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
avianrandy
October 19th, 2023 at 11:30:41 AM permalink

I craved an old favorite I hadn't had in years, so I cooked up an excellent pizza burger. A six-ounce steak burger with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese served on a toasted roll with butter and parmesan cheese. I almost cooked two, but am glad I didn't. One was more than enough.
link to original post

I haven't thought about that in years. In the 60s we used to take a slice of white bread and cover it with pizza sauce from a can, some pepperoni and mozzarella on top and put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes till the cheese melted. And it was really good. I bet I haven't thought about that in 60 years. Great after school snack. We always had to make our own snacks because my parents were super cheap and would never buy any kind of snack food. Maybe we would get an occasional bag of potato chips but that was rare. We had to make everything from scratch and I still do that to this day.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 19th, 2023 at 2:40:31 PM permalink

Here in NEPA there are dozens of stores that just sell kielbasa. This is from Tarnowski’s, five time winners of the Plymouth PA kielbasa festival.

link to original post

I love Kielbasa, but how are their pierogies?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
October 19th, 2023 at 2:44:44 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Oh my God a real picture! Other than by me and Mosca. Things are looking up in this thread.

Hey now, I posted a picture of my shrimp skewers. I'm sure you could tell that picture was bad enough to not be a stock photo. It was even in one of my wife's expensive baking dishes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 19th, 2023 at 5:05:16 PM permalink
Fried eggplant, sauteed Cod, and green bean stir fry. This is quite a difficult meal to prepare if you don't know what you're doing. The eggplant has to be cooked just right so it's crisp on the outside and soft on the inside you cannot overcook it. Same thing is true with the fish and I always use a meat thermometer. The green beans were quality frozen beans that can taste just like fresh if you cook them correctly. Every bite of this meal was so good because everything was cooked exactly right. I like to say that happens every time but it doesn't.

Mosca
Mosca
October 20th, 2023 at 1:27:22 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

I love Kielbasa, but how are their pierogies?
link to original post

Excellent. Excellent pierogies around here are the norm. It’s the kind of thing where people get together and make hundreds of at a time, like tamales in the southwest. Vendors show up at farmer’s markets with Yeti coolers full of pierogies. Mrs Mosca went to school with kids from the Twardzik family; they are the “T” in Mrs T’s Pierogies.

Unfortunately, bad pierogies are pretty common, as well. Bad pierogies are heavy and doughy, with a poor crust to filling ratio. Usually in a bad pierogi the dough just isn’t rolled thin enough, making them hard to fold so they get less filling. It isn’t so much that they taste bad, but that they aren’t satisfying texturally.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 22nd, 2023 at 2:00:06 PM permalink
I love these guacamole burgers so much I made them again. Blood rare cheeseburgers with bacon guacamole on top. A pain in the butt to make the guacamole but it's really worth it.

Mosca
Mosca
October 22nd, 2023 at 4:44:55 PM permalink
A poblano pepper stuffed with leftover smoked spare rib meat and a little onion, topped with an egg, cheese, and bbq sauce.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 22nd, 2023 at 5:16:27 PM permalink

A poblano pepper stuffed with leftover smoked spare rib meat and a little onion, topped with an egg, cheese, and bbq sauce.

link to original post

Now that's original cooking, that's something you look forward all day to making and eating. Half the fun of cooking is looking forward to it. I've never met a woman in my life that actually enjoyed cooking. I know they're around because I see them online but I've never met one. I looked it up and 75% of the line cooks in restaurants are men. 90% of top tier executive chefs in the world are men. 95% of all restaurants are owned by men. Cooking is something men like to do and something men are really good at. It's obviously something women were forced to do in the home because the men had to go out and work.
Mosca
Mosca
October 22nd, 2023 at 5:37:30 PM permalink

Now that's original cooking, that's something you look forward all day to making and eating. Half the fun of cooking is looking forward to it. I've never met a woman in my life that actually enjoyed cooking. I know they're around because I see them online but I've never met one. I looked it up and 75% of the line cooks in restaurants are men. 90% of top tier executive chefs in the world are men. 95% of all restaurants are owned by men. Cooking is something men like to do and something men are really good at. It's obviously something women were forced to do in the home because the men had to go out and work.
link to original post

I can’t speak to what anyone else does; I love cooking. I go to bed thinking about what I’m going to make for breakfast the next morning.

I’ve been working on breakfast stuffed peppers for a few weeks, trying different peppers and different fillings. Yesterday I was looking at some ribs that I had vacuum packed in the freezer, from a couple months ago, and thought it would be interesting. It was pretty damn good.

Since I retired, 2 years ago, I only eat twice a day. I’m not sitting behind a desk 12 hours a day, I eat about half what I used to, I work out three out of every four days, and I’ve lost 110 lbs. So I haven’t given up one damn bit of the pure enjoyment I get from eating delicious food. I don’t concentrate on the weight; I only weigh myself on the 1st and 15th of each month. I concentrate on doing those g-damn workouts. But I sure as HELL look forward to good food.

This is from a couple days ago, so it goes against the topic, but it came out pretty good. Mrs and I split a ribeye, with Peruvian potatoes and flat beans, and garlic and fresh herbs from the garden. The beans are purple, and turn green when they’re cooked. Heavy on the veg; I used to go the other way, heavy on the steak. I still will, every now and then. Steak is life.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 22nd, 2023 at 5:50:52 PM permalink

Steak is life.
link to original post

There's this guy I follow on YouTube who for the last three or four years is cooking all the recipes in Julia Child's books and learning as he goes along. It's interesting watching him grow as a cook and how when he does something exactly right how it knocks his socks off. People don't understand how good food can be if it's prepared correctly. Sometimes I make something so good I think about it for 2 days afterwards because every bite was wonderful.

Mosca
Mosca
October 22nd, 2023 at 6:31:53 PM permalink

There's this guy I follow on YouTube who for the last three or four years is cooking all the recipes in Julia Child's books and learning as he goes along. It's interesting watching him grow as a cook and how when he does something exactly right how it knocks his socks off. People don't understand how good food can be if it's prepared correctly. Sometimes I make something so good I think about it for 2 days afterwards because every bite was wonderful.

Yep, I’ve watched that guy; he puts on a great show! His production values have gone way up since he started, too.

I know exactly what you mean, when something is so much better than exactly how you thought it was going to be.

I’ve read both volumes of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and also My Life in France. With the cookbooks, I really just concentrated on the mother sauces and the techniques. That’s where the principles are. I don’t bake, and a lot of the recipes I don’t have the inclination to try. I’m very basic. I take to heart the idea of simplicity, quality ingredients, and good technique. With that, I’m completely confident with just about anything.

Every now and then I’ll have to admit defeat and dump something, but that’s always something new I’ve never tried before. Most recently I screwed up a batch of salsa macha. But I never heard of that until the day I decided to try it; I still don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like (but definitely not like whatever it was I made). Next time I’m at my local taco truck I’m going to ask about it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 22nd, 2023 at 7:06:50 PM permalink

I’ve read both volumes of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and also My Life in France.
link to original post

I have all of Julia Child's books including the large coffee table sized How to Cook. The best place to buy cookbooks or any book is on eBay because they're cheap and competitive and you get free shipping most of the time. I've bet I've seen the movie Julie and Julia five or six times and I'm really enjoying the HBO Mini series Julia which is about Julia Child after she got her TV show. She's a fascinating woman because she's so smart. She would try recipes over and over until she got it exactly right.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 22nd, 2023 at 7:33:18 PM permalink
I'm getting cookbooks to rebuild my library on Thriftbooks. Usually around $5 each.

One of the kids is thinking about going into food science, and I feel that having a repertoire of cookbooks for her to steal adopt may be useful.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 22nd, 2023 at 8:40:38 PM permalink
Tuna on whole wheat with lettuce, and Lipton's noodle soup.

I use albacore, chopped celery, chopped scallions, mayo and a dash of mustard for a bit of zing; optional: onion and garlic powder to taste, plus black pepper.
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
October 22nd, 2023 at 8:42:02 PM permalink

I'm getting cookbooks to rebuild my library on Thriftbooks. Usually around $5 each.

One of the kids is thinking about going into food science, and I feel that having a repertoire of cookbooks for her to steal adopt may be useful.
link to original post

Pépin is a treasure. I have Techniques and Essential Pépin.
billryan
billryan
October 22nd, 2023 at 11:10:15 PM permalink
My cousin loves to cook. He took classes in high school and then went to the Culinary Institute. He worked as chef in an executive dining room in Manhattan when his first kid was born with a heart defect. Long story short- he had to work with the NYPD for the health insurance. He rose to retire as a Captain, and now he opened his own restaurant. His daughter had several operations and seems to be okay. He was the only real cook in my family.
My Mom wasn't much of a cook, but she tried. My Dad suffered from ulcers and had stomach parasites from the Pacific we ate very bland food. I still don't eat many spices.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 23rd, 2023 at 1:05:08 AM permalink

Pépin is a treasure. I have Techniques and Essential Pépin.
link to original post

Between Pépin, Child, and Rombauer (old Joy of Cooking), I'm convinced you've got instructions to turn most any box of ingredients into a meal.
Larousse Gastronomique is impractical, but beautiful.
Ruhlman's Twenty and Ratio are mind expanding. (Ratio is for baking (well, doughs), if memory serves... I'm unlikely to ever really use it.)

I'm probably going to need to buy some Harold McGee for the kid, once she decides to stop goofing around and get serious. 8 hours yesterday trying to bake a pumpkin "her way", and left a big old mess. Apparently I need a sturdy demeanor and a stern ladle...
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 23rd, 2023 at 12:44:47 PM permalink

My Dad suffered from ulcers and had stomach parasites from the Pacific we ate very bland food. I still don't eat many spices.

My buddy's dad insisted on bland food for every meal: meat and potatoes.

This seems a damned shame as my friend's mother was Italian and by report could have cooked tasty Italian meals per the old family recipes.

By report they never went out to eat so he never ate Chinese food or Mexican food while growing up.

Perhaps to atone for that omission he now enjoys eating super hot peppers..
"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
October 23rd, 2023 at 2:23:41 PM permalink
Just for Bob as he says we don't post enough pictures of food:

Yesterdays dinner: Chicken Cordon Bleu

Todays dinner: Grilled brats - two for me and two for the dogs.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 23rd, 2023 at 2:58:14 PM permalink

Just for Bob as he says we don't post enough pictures of food:

Yesterdays dinner: Chicken Cordon Bleu

Todays dinner: Grilled brats - two for me and two for the dogs.
link to original post

Looks good, fried chicken and bratwurst. Where is that on the old food pyramid anyway..
Mosca
Mosca
October 23rd, 2023 at 5:24:47 PM permalink
Idk if it has a name. It’s shepherd’s pie/cottage pie, but I made it with chicken; I dunno, barnyard pie? That sounds disgusting though, and this was pretty effin’ delicious. The herbs were from the herb garden: parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. So, Scarborough Fair pie? Simon & Garfunkel pie?

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 23rd, 2023 at 5:39:51 PM permalink

Idk if it has a name. It’s shepherd’s pie/cottage pie, but I made it with chicken; I dunno, barnyard pie? That sounds disgusting though, and this was pretty effin’ delicious. The herbs were from the herb garden: parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. So, Scarborough Fair pie? Simon & Garfunkel pie?

link to original post

Is that mashed potatoes on top. I make these with mashed boiled turnips and they turn out pretty good.

I made a roast beef stir fry using something I've never tried before Trader Joe's baby cauliflower. It's the cauliflower just as it starts to sprout the white on top and they harvest it and it's really tender and it's really good. Two kinds of onions tomatoes red bell pepper garlic and onion powder. Parmesan cheese on top while I'm eating it.

Mosca
Mosca
October 23rd, 2023 at 6:22:29 PM permalink
Yep, mashed potatoes. I make a creamed mashed carrots and turnips, it’s pretty good but I haven’t made it in a long time.

That does look good. No Trader Joe’s here, our bougie grocery is Wegman’s.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 23rd, 2023 at 7:30:40 PM permalink

Yep, mashed potatoes. I make a creamed mashed carrots and turnips, it’s pretty good but I haven’t made it in a long time.

That does look good. No Trader Joe’s here, our bougie grocery is Wegman’s.
link to original post

I like to throw the cherry tomatoes in two or three minutes before it's done so they get hot but not quite enough to burst them.
JeremyNord
JeremyNord
  • Threads: 0
October 23rd, 2023 at 11:46:06 PM permalink
professional photography!
JeremyNord
JeremyNord
  • Threads: 0
October 23rd, 2023 at 11:47:40 PM permalink

I'm talking about this
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 24th, 2023 at 3:15:49 AM permalink
Quote: JeremyNord

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/off-topic/30988-what-did-you-eat-today/77/#post904740

I'm talking about this
link to original post

I believe that's from the restaurant's website, not LRR's camera...
(jumping in to make the link work)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 24th, 2023 at 5:14:55 AM permalink
Nice and boring today.
Oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon (or, if I feel plaintive about it, "tree bark and dried fruit").

While I haven't really been feeling "bad", there were a few slices of sausage pizza a few days ago, and this may help work out some of the grease. (Yes, I know it doesn't work exactly like that.)
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
EvenBob
October 24th, 2023 at 6:11:57 AM permalink

Nice and boring today.
Oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon (or, if I feel plaintive about it, "tree bark and dried fruit").

While I haven't really been feeling "bad", there were a few slices of sausage pizza a few days ago, and this may help work out some of the grease. (Yes, I know it doesn't work exactly like that.)
link to original post

Likewise here. Life can’t always be candy canes and dandelion greens. This is the last farmers market tomato, ripened on the windowsill, the texture is rock hard but it tastes pretty good; cucumber, a little basil, a little roasted red pepper, a little buffalo mozzarella, some pecorino romano and a strip of bacon, in basil vinegarette. Breakfast of champions!

DRich
DRich
October 24th, 2023 at 2:02:46 PM permalink
I am pretty sure everybody is salivating and jealous of me. Banquet frozen Salisbury Steaks. I am not uncivilized, it is on a plate.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 24th, 2023 at 2:08:56 PM permalink

I am pretty sure everybody is salivating and jealous of me. Banquet frozen Salisbury Steaks. I am not uncivilized, it is on a plate.

link to original post

There's a big selection of these at the store I always wondered who ate them. I haven't had a TV dinner since the 60s.
billryan
billryan
October 24th, 2023 at 2:10:54 PM permalink

link to original post

I've never learned to work like that. No food gets near my computer.
DRich
DRich
October 24th, 2023 at 3:01:14 PM permalink

link to original post

I've never learned to work like that. No food gets near my computer.
link to original post

If I am not working, I am in bed. Other than for work, I probably only spend about 30 minutes a day while not in bed. Both my wife and I each have a personal laptop and then we each have our work computers set up in our offices.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 24th, 2023 at 4:40:16 PM permalink
I made a sandwich spread out of rare roast beef using red pepper, two kinds of onion, smoked paprika, capers, and cream cheese and sour cream to hold it together. On toast. On the opposing slice that goes on top is cheese and blueberries. The blueberries are really the key to the whole sandwich, because the contrast of flavors is amazing.

billryan
billryan
Thanked by
unJongordonm888
October 24th, 2023 at 4:40:39 PM permalink
A longish post, but it will tie in at the end.
I'm spending more and more time in my Tucson house and didn't like how my wood laminate floors looked, so over the weekend, I got on my hands and knees, scrubbed them, and applied a cleaner and then a finisher/wax layer. After it dried, it didn't look so great so I applied another layer of finish. The bottle says not to exceed three layers in 48 hours, so I was done. I skipped lunch while working so I decided to cook a nice meal.
I sliced up an eggplant, breaded the slices and cooked them in the air fryer for a spell. Then, I added sauce and three types of cheese and baked it in my oven. Meanwhile, I'm boiling water for pasta and letting a pot of meat sauce simmer. The water takes a long time to boil, so the eggplant finishes first.
I'm scrambling to get a platter and clear space for it on the counter. It is a 24-inch platter and perhaps four inches of it hang over the counter. I put the eggplant on the platter, add some parmesan cheese, and stir the rigatoni now mixed into the meat sauce. I pour the pasta/sauce onto the platter and keep it away from the unsupported portion when I somehow shift my grip and touch hot metal. The platter starts to flip over the edge. I try to grab it, and for a second, I have sauce coming out of the pan onto my bare chest, hot cheese and eggplant landing on my bare legs and feet.
Somehow, enough hot sauce is already on the floor that I slip and fall on my ass. I am pissed and realize my feet are in pain. I quickly swipe off the cheese and grab a dishtowel to wipe myself off.
I gather myself and behold a miracle. While waxing, I'd moved three cases of water from the pantry they usually are in and they were in a row at the base of the counter. Half to three-quarters of the food is on the plastic-wrapped cases, not the floor. I scrape it onto the tray and then see the rest is sitting on the newly waxed floors.
If there would ever be an opportunity to eat food off the floor, this was it. I gathered it into a different dish and tried to wash it, but ended up tossing it.
I was pretty lucky. Hot mozzarella cheese can leave a nasty burn. I want to think my training kicked in and kept my arms in while falling, but don't want to try it again to find out.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 27th, 2023 at 5:42:54 AM permalink

A nice spammaneggancheese sandwich.
Cream cheese, A1.
Spam fried low for about 10 minutes, scrambled egg.

Lovely. I'll probably be forced to atone later on the elliptical for the wrongs I've done.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 7:46:55 AM permalink

A nice spammaneggancheese sandwich.
Cream cheese, A1.
Spam fried low for about 10 minutes, scrambled egg.

Lovely. I'll probably be forced to atone later on the elliptical for the wrongs I've done.
link to original post

There's a place in Hades set aside for people who eat like this on purpose when they have a choice. I lived in Hawaii for 6 months and when I saw Spam was their favorite food it might be one of the reasons I had to leave.
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 8:34:34 AM permalink

There's a place in Hades set aside for people who eat like this on purpose when they have a choice. I lived in Hawaii for 6 months and when I saw Spam was their favorite food it might be one of the reasons I had to leave.

I don't mind some fried SPAM. It was perfectly acceptable with some eggs for breakfast.
Mosca
Mosca
October 27th, 2023 at 9:01:26 AM permalink

I don't mind some fried SPAM. It was perfectly acceptable with some eggs for breakfast.
link to original post

Yeah, that looks good to me, too.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambit
October 27th, 2023 at 9:03:04 AM permalink
I took my leftover farmer’s pie and stuffed it into a couple red bell peppers, cooked it up and topped with a nice slug of cheese.

• Jump to: