Thread Rating:

Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 5th, 2023 at 7:13:51 AM permalink
For breakfast I made a wrap with leftover pesto chicken, bacon, lettuce tomato onion, melted cheese, and mayo. It was delicious.
A falling knife has no handle.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
odiousgambit
November 5th, 2023 at 1:57:27 PM permalink
Tonight's dinner was fried Grouper fillets and fries.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
November 6th, 2023 at 6:11:27 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Just a simple dinner that takes 2 minutes to make.

link to original post

leggo my eggo. Remember that commercial?
Last edited by: avianrandy on Nov 6, 2023
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 6th, 2023 at 6:46:13 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

link to original post

leggo my ego. Remember that commercial?
link to original post

https://waffle-wow.com/products/building-bricks-with-2-plates

No endorsement; not trying to spam.

I think someone may have misunderstood what they said on the commercial and just kept running with it.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 6th, 2023 at 7:04:20 AM permalink
In college, one of my housemates made what he'd call pizza waffles. He'd toast a waffle, then bake it with cheeses, meats,and sauce.
Two beautiful dishes that just didn't work together, IMO. Pizza bagels, I can tolerate; pizza waffles were a bridge too far.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
November 6th, 2023 at 9:12:56 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

In college, one of my housemates made what he'd call pizza waffles. He'd toast a waffle, then bake it with cheeses, meats,and sauce.
Two beautiful dishes that just didn't work together, IMO. Pizza bagels, I can tolerate; pizza waffles were a bridge too far.
link to original post

Sounds reasonable to me.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
November 6th, 2023 at 9:23:35 AM permalink
I heard someone answer a question of what they would eat if they only could eat one thing. They said "chicken biryani"

I don't know that I would ever pick chicken for all time 1 only meal.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 6th, 2023 at 10:08:19 AM permalink

link to original post

Sounds reasonable to me.
link to original post

You would eat a flip flop if it had enough pizza sauce and cheese on it.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
November 6th, 2023 at 10:19:33 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

Sounds reasonable to me.
link to original post

You would eat a flip flop if it had enough pizza sauce and cheese on it.
link to original post

Let's be clear, I would try a flip flop with sauce and cheese on it. I am not prejudiced.
avianrandy
avianrandy
November 6th, 2023 at 11:23:56 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: avianrandy

link to original post

leggo my ego. Remember that commercial?
link to original post

https://waffle-wow.com/products/building-bricks-with-2-plates

No endorsement; not trying to spam.

I think someone may have misunderstood what they said on the commercial and just kept running with it.
link to original post

autocorrect strikes again lol. I meant eggo not ego
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 6th, 2023 at 11:30:12 AM permalink
Sure... blame the autocorrupt. ;)
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
November 7th, 2023 at 6:26:19 AM permalink
Coffee Part 1

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #11

1) Name either of the two most commonly grown coffee bean types.

2) According to "The Coffee Song" as made famous by Frank Sinatra, "they've got an awful lot of coffee in" what South American nation?

3) A "redeye" is a cup of drip coffee with a shot of what added?

4) Traditionally, what liquor do you add to your cup of joe to make a coffee Alexander?

5) Match the fictional coffee locations to the TV shows or movies they appear in...

Café Nervosa
Williamsburg Diner
Tip Top Cafe
Mel's Diner
Monk's Cafe

Alice/Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Seinfeld
Frasier
Groundhog Day
2 Broke Girls

No searching please.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Gialmere
November 7th, 2023 at 7:04:00 AM permalink
Good quiz.

1) arabica and robusta
2) Brazil
3) espresso
4) brandy
5) Mel’s - Alice; the rest are all guesses. Tip Top - Groundhog, Nervosa - Broke, Williamsburg - Frasier, Monk’s - Seinfeld
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
Thanked by
Gialmere
November 7th, 2023 at 7:13:54 AM permalink

arabica

Brazil

brandy?

Café Nervosa: Frasier?
Williamsburg Diner: 2 Broke Girls?
Tip Top Cafe: Groundhog Day?
Mel's Diner: Alice/Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Monk's Cafe: Seinfeld

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Gialmere
November 7th, 2023 at 10:04:29 AM permalink

2. Sinatra song = Brazil ("billions of brazilians")
4. Coffee Alexander = Brandy
5. All but Mel's are Guesses

Cafe Nervosa: 2 broke Girls, Williamsburg Diner: Groundhog day, Tip Top Cafe: Frasier, Mel's Diner: Alice, Monk's Cafe: Seinfeld
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
  • Threads: 23
Thanked by
EvenBob
November 7th, 2023 at 12:35:58 PM permalink
My side hobby pictures bellow
Tons of joy and fun.
All be well!

I’d rather have to be a lucky player than good one.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 7th, 2023 at 2:39:40 PM permalink
Vlad, are those pickled beets?
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
Thanked by
EvenBob
November 7th, 2023 at 3:33:10 PM permalink
There are cooked beets, carrots and 3 kind of potato(yellow, red and blue).
All vegs were cooked for about 20 min in the boiling water. Then Adding some greens like chives and dill. Adding spices and olive oil.
But baking is much better than cooking. I'll go to experiment with a pickled vegs. It is a good idea.
You need a small cookies cutters. Have fan! Easy funny cooking and the great presentation! ... Patent pending! :)
Could be centerpiece at the dinner table.
Proven with my friends for many years for the family events and community potlucks
It is good to have card suits cookies cutters
Enjoy!!!

EvenBob
EvenBob
November 7th, 2023 at 3:39:27 PM permalink
Corned beef, cabbage, and ham cooked in the pressure cooker. So easy to make just cut up the corned beef and ham and into chunks, ditto with the cabbage and onions throw it all into the instant pot with chicken broth and some spices and an hour later you got dinner. I make it earlier in the day so it sits it for a couple hours after it's done which makes it even better. And when you open it it's still so hot you can't eat it. If you don't own a pressure cooker you don't know what you're missing. For a few minutes work you get to look forward to a great meal at the end of the day with lots of leftovers. Of course I put sour cream on top. And the best thing about it is Drich would not eat this if you paid him.

Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
VladAlex1
November 7th, 2023 at 3:48:03 PM permalink
Quote: VladAlex1

There are cooked beets, carrots and 3 kind of potato(yellow, red and blue).
All vegs were cooked for about 20 min in the boiling water. Then Adding some greens like chives and dill. Adding spices and olive oil.
But baking is much better than cooking. I'll go to experiment with a pickled vegs. It is a good idea.
You need a small cookies cutters. Have fan! Easy funny cooking and the great presentation! ... Patent pending! :)
Could be centerpiece at the dinner table.
Proven with my friends for many years for the family events and community potlucks
It is good to have card suits cookies cutters
Enjoy!!!

I LOVE all the different potatoes. They all taste like potatoes, and they all taste different, at the same time.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
EvenBobVladAlex1
November 8th, 2023 at 5:06:25 AM permalink
An omelet made with pickled stuffed cherry peppers that were packed in oil.

EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
VladAlex1
November 8th, 2023 at 4:38:43 PM permalink
Day number two on the pressure cooker corned beef and cabbage. I took the cabbage and the broth and hit it with a stick blender and made a thick puree soup out of it that was just terrific. I took the corned beef and the ham and thin sliced them and made grilled sandwiches in the George Foreman. I have enough left over I can do this again tomorrow and it's so good I think I might do that. This is how people ate in the fifties and sixties, we would make something in quantity and then eat it for three nights in a row. It was so good that nobody minded it, especially if you switched it up like I did here. I know people who throw away leftovers. Unbelievable.

VladAlex1
VladAlex1
November 8th, 2023 at 4:58:32 PM permalink

.... I know people who throw away leftovers. Unbelievable.

link to original post

This is way to respect food. I grew up on the such rules established by my family (grand parents and parents). They were starving on the WW2 and post war times in Europe.
Respect food! Eat all and keep your plates clean.
Do not throw leftovers.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
VladAlex1
November 8th, 2023 at 6:27:00 PM permalink

This is how people ate in the fifties and sixties, we would make something in quantity and then eat it for three nights in a row. It was so good that nobody minded it, especially if you switched it up like I did here. I know people who throw away leftovers. Unbelievable.

From when I was single, in the 70s and 80s, it has always been my nature to make a lot of something and eat it for as long as it takes to finish. Now, I make less for the two of us, but I try to keep it varied; so different meals, and staggered leftovers, and combining different leftovers into different things.

This is tonight. Leftover carnitas from Sunday, a half a red pepper and half an onion leftover from Monday’s pasta, and rice from yesterday’s chicken and rice. I sautéed the carnitas, pepper, and onion in a pot with some adobo and Tajín seasoning, tossed in some chopped Hatch peppers and about a tablespoon of hot sauce, and then mixed in the rice and let it all simmer up. It was freakin’ FANTASTIC.

Tomorrow, I have some chicken from yesterday, maybe something simple like chicken salad.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
VladAlex1
November 8th, 2023 at 6:37:48 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

This is how people ate in the fifties and sixties, we would make something in quantity and then eat it for three nights in a row. It was so good that nobody minded it, especially if you switched it up like I did here. I know people who throw away leftovers. Unbelievable.

From when I was single, in the 70s and 80s, it has always been my nature to make a lot of something and eat it for as long as it takes to finish. Now, I make less for the two of us, but I try to keep it varied; so different meals, and staggered leftovers, and combining different leftovers into different things.

This is tonight. Leftover carnitas from Sunday, a half a red pepper and half an onion leftover from Monday’s pasta, and rice from yesterday’s chicken and rice. I sautéed the carnitas, pepper, and onion in a pot with some adobo and Tajín seasoning, tossed in some chopped Hatch peppers and about a tablespoon of hot sauce, and then mixed in the rice and let it all simmer up. It was freakin’ FANTASTIC.
Tomorrow, I have some chicken from yesterday, maybe something simple like chicken salad.
link to original post

Cooking is a lot of work, people would rather just throw the leftovers away and open another package of something tomorrow. I was listening to a nutritionist today saying that if you ate clean for just 3 months, got rid of all processed food and just ate everything from scratch and lots of fruit and vegetables you would notice a tremendous change in your health no matter what your age is. Aches and pains would go away, you would sleep better, you would have more energy, you're thinking would be clearer. I know all these things are true because I've done it. Modern food is poisoning us, literally. All the additives and all the crap they put in our food is killing us. Modern food tastes good, because our brain is addicted to fat salt sugar and carbohydrate. Go down any snack aisle in the grocery store and that's what you're looking at in 100 different versions, fat salt sugar and carb.
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
November 8th, 2023 at 6:58:55 PM permalink
It looks fantastic! Yami!
Great white- red color presentation! My rating 10/10
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 8th, 2023 at 10:00:21 PM permalink
I was watching a videor some guy with a heavy southern accent pronounced Worcestershire sauce as washed-your-sister sauce. LOL
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
VladAlex1
November 9th, 2023 at 9:09:25 AM permalink

Cooking is a lot of work, people would rather just throw the leftovers away and open another package of something tomorrow.

My dogs would eat me if I threw the leftovers away. Last nights dinner for the dogs was a chicken enchilada and a beef tamale along with rice and black beans. We are not allowed to come home from a restaurant without bringing them a doggie bag.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambit
November 9th, 2023 at 11:30:43 AM permalink
Eggs frico. It’s like an inside out omelet. Shred some cheese into a nonstick skillet, and let it melt. Then crack a couple eggs on top, cover, and let the eggs cook while the cheese forms one of those lacy half-melted half-hard cracker things like you get on the side with soups and salads in pretend-fancy restaurants. I broke one of the yolks, but I’m not tossing anything. But you’re supposed to poke the yolk with the fork. It looks like a lot more food than it is, the cheese layer is only about as thick as a coin.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 9th, 2023 at 11:34:12 AM permalink
(snipped!)

... while the cheese forms one of those lacy half-melted half-hard cracker things like you get on the side with soups and salads in pretend-fancy restaurants.
link to original post

A parmesan tuile?

Fancy.
billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2023 at 11:37:35 AM permalink

Eggs frico. It’s like an inside out omelet. Shred some cheese into a nonstick skillet, and let it melt. Then crack a couple eggs on top, cover, and let the eggs cook while the cheese forms one of those lacy half-melted half-hard cracker things like you get on the side with soups and salads in pretend-fancy restaurants. I broke one of the yolks, but I’m not tossing anything. But you’re supposed to poke the yolk with the fork. It looks like a lot more food than it is, the cheese layer is only about as thick as a coin.

link to original post

Interesting. It inspired my dinner for tonite. I'll post the results later.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
VladAlex1
November 9th, 2023 at 12:36:32 PM permalink

(snipped!)

... while the cheese forms one of those lacy half-melted half-hard cracker things like you get on the side with soups and salads in pretend-fancy restaurants.
link to original post

A parmesan tuile?

Fancy.
link to original post

I could have used Parmesan, but all I have is Parmigiano Reggiano, and I ain’t making this with that. I used plain old Colby Jack, a nice melting cheese.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 9th, 2023 at 12:42:13 PM permalink

(snipped!)

link to original post

A parmesan tuile?

Fancy.
link to original post

I could have used Parmesan, but all I have is Parmigiano Reggiano, and I ain’t making this with that. I used plain old Colby Jack, a nice melting cheese.
link to original post

True enough.
There are a bunch of flavours of cheese tuiles.
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
Thanked by
rawtuff
November 9th, 2023 at 7:05:49 PM permalink
The heart of the kitchen
Accessibility is a priority #1!
It is not a show room.

Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
EvenBobVladAlex1odiousgambit
November 10th, 2023 at 4:25:35 AM permalink

Interesting. It inspired my dinner for tonite. I'll post the results later.

Today’s came out better. With sautéed mushrooms/onions/garlic.

billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mosca
November 10th, 2023 at 4:36:22 AM permalink
My results were mixed. I baked two pieces of chicken fried steak and some beer-battered fries. When they were done, I threw them into a frying pan of melted cheese. The steaks ended up wrapped in the cheese but the result was less than spectacular. I think it might have worked better if I'd had a nice toasted roll to make a sandwich out of it.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
VladAlex1
November 10th, 2023 at 4:47:38 AM permalink

The heart of the kitchen
Accessibility is a priority #1!
It is not a show room.

I like the tool rack! Very compact.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
November 11th, 2023 at 9:28:17 AM permalink
Why is it that fish, a meat that is supposed to be good for you smells the worse when it goes bad? Or maybe it really projects its odor farther. I have to put my nose closer to other meat.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
November 11th, 2023 at 10:13:19 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Why is it that fish, a meat that is supposed to be good for you smells the worse when it goes bad? Or maybe it really projects its odor farther. I have to put my nose closer to other meat.
link to original post

A survival tactic run amok?
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
November 11th, 2023 at 11:53:10 AM permalink
Experimenting with home made chocolate candies
Cocoa powder mixed and melted cocoa butter.
Adding walnuts and raisins .. whatever by your preferences are.
Great pro presentation and a lot of fun.
Enjoy!

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 11th, 2023 at 12:05:28 PM permalink

Enjoy!

link to original post

(pics omitted)

Nice glossy shine.
Are you doing anything special with tempering?
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
November 11th, 2023 at 12:22:45 PM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #11 (Answers)

Arabica & Robusta

Arabica beans are used for almost 70% of all the coffee consumed. Robusto is used for around 30%. Despite being less expensive and higher in caffeine content, the bitterness of robusta beans makes them mainly used for espresso type drinks. Blends are sometimes used. When coffee makers say a blend has a robust taste, they're referring to the robusta bean and not the boldness of the brew.

Brazil

For the last 150 years Brazil has been the world's #1 grower of coffee beans.

As for "The Coffee Song" it was one of Sinatra's early hits. During his comeback in the early 50s he would open his nightclub act with it. The band would begin the intro and the audience would gaze at the stage in anticipation. Sinatra would then surprise everyone by entering from the back of the room holding a cup of coffee and a saucer. He would wind his way through the tables and up onto the stage while singing about all the coffee in Brazil.

It sounds hokey but his fans ate (or perhaps drank) it up. I suppose having Frank Sinatra walk by your table while singing his heart out is a memory most people would hold on to.

Espresso

The red eye is a drink for those looking for some extra oomph to start their day or to keep the sandman at bay during the night. It has other names such as "shot in the dark" (anywhere), "turbo" (Dunkin' Donuts) and "depth charge" (Caribou Coffee). At Starbucks, a double shot of espresso in the coffee may be termed a "black eye", and a triple shot a "dead eye". "Caffè Tobio" is a version with an equal amount of coffee to espresso.

If you think this all sounds a bit la-di-da, you'll get no argument from me. You should know, however, that coffee connoisseurs have a (somewhat ironic) term describing people who only drink regular brewed coffee: "coffee snobs."

Brandy

If you're just adding brandy to coffee you're probably simply trying to stay warm or steady your nerves (or you're an alcoholic). At a restaurant, the drink is usually topped with whipped cream and possibly has ice cream added to make a dessert cocktail.

Café Nervosa = Frasier
Williamsburg Diner = 2 Broke Girls
Tip Top Cafe = Groundhog Day
Mel's Diner = Alice/Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Monk's Cafe = Seinfeld
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
billryan
billryan
November 11th, 2023 at 12:44:59 PM permalink
Two Hebrew National hot dogs, boiled, then grilled, on toasted butter rolls, cole slaw, and a handful of chips.
It's been a few years since I had a Hebrew National dog. They used to be a favorite of mine, and they didn't disappoint.
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
November 11th, 2023 at 2:40:02 PM permalink

Enjoy!

link to original post

(pics omitted)

Nice glossy shine.
Are you doing anything special with tempering?
link to original post

I use silicone molds with glossy surfaces. These candies were done on the Candy type molds with high quality finish. They are very soft and elastic ones
DRich
DRich
November 11th, 2023 at 4:29:12 PM permalink

Two Hebrew National hot dogs, boiled, then grilled, on toasted butter rolls, cole slaw, and a handful of chips.
It's been a few years since I had a Hebrew National dog. They used to be a favorite of mine, and they didn't disappoint.
link to original post

Just curious, why boil them before grilling? I have never heard of anyone do that.
billryan
billryan
November 11th, 2023 at 5:00:21 PM permalink

link to original post

Just curious, why boil them before grilling? I have never heard of anyone do that.
link to original post

If you simply grill them, the skin cooks before the middle. I boil them in a frying pan, adding some butter. Let the water boil off and keep the dogs in the pan until they blister. It's more work , but well worth it.
Nathans, I grill. Hebrew National or Sabretts, I boil and grill
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 11th, 2023 at 5:02:31 PM permalink
Bacon cheese Olive blue cheese burger. Actually it has three kinds of cheese because I mixed parm cheese in with the Mayo.

DRich
DRich
November 11th, 2023 at 5:08:07 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

If you simply grill them, the skin cooks before the middle. I boil them in a frying pan, adding some butter. Let the water boil off and keep the dogs in the pan until they blister. It's more work , but well worth it.
Nathans, I grill. Hebrew National or Sabretts, I boil and grill
link to original post

Interesting. It sounds to me like maybe you are grilling them at too high of a temperature. The good thing is that hot dogs are already cooked so you won't get sick if you undercook them.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 11th, 2023 at 5:57:03 PM permalink

Interesting. It sounds to me like maybe you are grilling them at too high of a temperature. The good thing is that hot dogs are already cooked so you won't get sick if you undercook them.
link to original post

No you just get sick because they contain rodent hair and a certain percentage of mouse turds. I observed firsthand years ago how they make hot dogs and I've stayed away from them ever since. They put everything that nobody wants to eat from chicken and pork into a big vat and they add a bunch of other junk and turn it into a pink goo and force it into hot dog skins.
billryan
billryan
November 11th, 2023 at 6:10:14 PM permalink
Thats why kosher hot dogs are the way to go.
  • Jump to: