billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 11th, 2023 at 6:13:57 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: billryan

Two Hebrew National hot dogs, boiled, then grilled, on toasted butter rolls, cole slaw, and a handful of chips.
It's been a few years since I had a Hebrew National dog. They used to be a favorite of mine, and they didn't disappoint.
link to original post

Just curious, why boil them before grilling? I have never heard of anyone do that.
link to original post

If you simply grill them, the skin cooks before the middle. I boil them in a frying pan, adding some butter. Let the water boil off and keep the dogs in the pan until they blister. It's more work , but well worth it.
Nathans, I grill. Hebrew National or Sabretts, I boil and grill
link to original post

Interesting. It sounds to me like maybe you are grilling them at too high of a temperature. The good thing is that hot dogs are already cooked so you won't get sick if you undercook them.
link to original post

I like my burgers on the rare/raw side but my dogs have to be all beef and well done.- almost crisp.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 11th, 2023 at 6:28:57 PM permalink

Two Hebrew National hot dogs, boiled, then grilled, on toasted butter rolls, cole slaw, and a handful of chips.
It's been a few years since I had a Hebrew National dog. They used to be a favorite of mine, and they didn't disappoint.
link to original post

Just curious, why boil them before grilling? I have never heard of anyone do that.
link to original post

If you simply grill them, the skin cooks before the middle. I boil them in a frying pan, adding some butter. Let the water boil off and keep the dogs in the pan until they blister. It's more work , but well worth it.
link to original post

I'll second that either boiling or steaming before grilling, pan frying, or broiling improves the texture.
The boiling/steaming seems to make the sausage plump and swell a bit, which nicely complements a crisped skin.
May the cards fall in your favor.
VladAlex1
VladAlex1
  • Threads: 23
November 11th, 2023 at 7:55:03 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I'll second that either boiling or steaming before grilling, pan frying, or broiling improves the texture.
The boiling/steaming seems to make the sausage plump and swell a bit, which nicely complements a crisped skin.
link to original post

Boiling hotdogs before frying is a method that some people use to ensure that the hotdogs are cooked thoroughly and to enhance their flavor and texture. Here are a few reasons why someone might choose to boil hotdogs before frying:

Cooking Evenness: Boiling helps to cook the hotdogs evenly. It ensures that the entire hotdog is heated through, reducing the risk of undercooked sections, which can occur when frying alone.

Preventing Dryness: Boiling can help prevent the hotdogs from drying out during the frying process. Boiling helps to retain moisture in the hotdogs, and frying afterward can add a crispy exterior while maintaining juiciness inside.

Flavor Infusion: Boiling can also impart flavor to the hotdogs. Some people boil hotdogs in seasoned water or broth, allowing the hotdogs to absorb additional flavors before frying. This can enhance the overall taste of the hotdogs.

Quick Cooking: Boiling is a faster cooking method than frying alone. Boiling pre-cooks the hotdogs, reducing the time needed for frying and ensuring that they are fully cooked when served.

Texture Improvement: Boiling can contribute to a softer and more plump texture in the hotdogs. Frying after boiling adds a crispy exterior, creating a satisfying textural contrast.

While boiling before frying can have its advantages, it's worth noting that there are different preferences when it comes to preparing hotdogs. Some people may prefer grilling, microwaving, or cooking them directly without boiling. The choice often depends on personal taste and the desired texture and flavor.
I’d rather have to be a lucky player than good one.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 13th, 2023 at 1:10:10 AM permalink
Searching for foods unique to KY, it was clear Burgoo and Goetta had to be tried. The latter, though available at grocery stores, proved elusive due to recent shortages. I was finally able to get some and tried it for the first time. It is essentially Scrapple made a different way, with Scrapple they use a lot of cornmeal but with Goetta they use oats. This Cincinnati brand [yeah, at least this part of Ohio eats it so that makes it not really unique to KY] says they use "steel cut oats". I'd say after trying it I like it better than Scrapple due to oats vs cornmeal. Also on the plate is grits, white grits mixed with bloody butcher grits. Love em, but a whole different topic.

I know I tend to capitalize words that don't need it, but it is very German to capitalize nouns, and that is appropriate when talking about Goetta, you see. Ha.

You can just see where it says you pronounce it 'get-a' ... "the O is silent, until you try it". 'You needs to get-a you some!' is obvious but not on there.

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
Thanked by
rawtuff
November 13th, 2023 at 5:25:58 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

No you just get sick because they contain rodent hair and a certain percentage of mouse turds. I observed firsthand years ago how they make hot dogs and I've stayed away from them ever since. They put everything that nobody wants to eat from chicken and pork into a big vat and they add a bunch of other junk and turn it into a pink goo and force it into hot dog skins.

One of the interesting things about the world is that this is true, and also that hot dogs are delicious. We are lucky here in NEPA to have The Alpine Wurst and Meat House, that has its own packing and processing facility on site; their all beef 5/1 (five to a pound) German franks are incredible. Unfortunately shipping is intentionally ridiculous, so you’ll only find them in the PA/NY/NJ corner of the Northeast, with a little CT/DE in there, too.

I make them “completo” style, which is how they do them in Chile. Chile is a country completely nuts about hot dogs; if you think a Chicago dog is loaded, you got another thing coming.

This is a Completo Italiano, dressed to resemble the Italian flag. Underneath: hot dog, tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, cheese. On top: avocado, mayo, ketchup. The mustard is optional, and does not represent anything Italian.

Although you wouldn’t have thought so, this maintained hot dog integrity down to the very last bite.

A falling knife has no handle.
billryan
billryan
November 13th, 2023 at 6:52:44 AM permalink
Tucson is famous for its Sonoran hot dogs. I find them disgusting but they are pretty much the only game in town. You take a low quality hotdog, wrap it in bacon, and grill it. Add pinto beans, fruit, ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, and seemingly whatever leftover salad you have, and throw corn kernels on top. There are at least a dozen Sonoran hot dog stands within a mile of my house.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 15th, 2023 at 7:31:23 AM permalink
A bowl of raisin bran with strawberry yogurt. (No milk.)

I've never really been a fan of soggy breakfast cereals. Flakes absorb milk very quickly, but absorb yogurt much more slowly.

This was quick and easy, which is nice after getting rudely awakened in the middle of the night. (Everyone is mostly fine. They're much better at getting out of the hospital unscathed than I am.)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 15th, 2023 at 7:48:05 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

link to original post

I like the plate that it's on, is that an antique or is it a knock off made to look like an antique. Because that's a pattern from around 1900.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
Thanked by
odiousgambit
November 15th, 2023 at 8:49:30 AM permalink
Looks old enough that there might be a matching chamber pot in the set.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 16th, 2023 at 2:25:23 PM permalink
I have been travelling so I had fast food for the first time in a while. It was excellent.

At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
November 16th, 2023 at 3:28:56 PM permalink

I have been travelling so I had fast food for the first time in a while. It was excellent.

link to original post

Did it look anything like that?
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 16th, 2023 at 3:43:03 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Sure it did, only 3 in shorter
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
November 16th, 2023 at 4:01:35 PM permalink
I eat fast food very rarely, but a half pound Arby’s roast beef with Arby’s sauce hits the spot. Loaded with the holy trinity of flavor: fat, salt and sugar

I don’t think I’ve ever ordered anything else there. Not even fries
It’s all about making that GTA
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 16th, 2023 at 4:07:52 PM permalink
Today for lunch, my office had a potluck; I ended up eating quite a bit of turkey, some potatoes (both mashed and baby), a couple of pieces of lumpia (both pork and chicken), and, for dessert, way too much pumpkin pie
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
November 17th, 2023 at 1:26:27 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I eat fast food very rarely, but a half pound Arby’s roast beef with Arby’s sauce hits the spot. Loaded with the holy trinity of flavor: fat, salt and sugar

link to original post

I've never eaten there but have always been suspicious of the 'we have the meat' claim. Personally, I'd check first to see if it's real roast beef or if instead it's luncheon meat fashioned to look like roast beef, maybe with some red dye. Just seems like a fast food joint that would do stuff like that
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
November 17th, 2023 at 1:32:33 AM permalink

link to original post

I like the plate that it's on, is that an antique or is it a knock off made to look like an antique. Because that's a pattern from around 1900.
link to original post

Wife had the whole set at one time, almost all still there when I married her. You can still get pieces, don't know if that means it's still made... for sure she got more plates maybe 15 years ago from somewhere. Plenty nice, made in England, It's "Friendly Village", and this is what the google machine says,

How old is friendly village dishes?

Johnson Brothers, Friendly Village, The ("Made in England ...
Friendly Village by Johnson Brothers is a traditional dinnerware pattern best known for its charming depictions of idyllic village scenes. First produced in 1953, this heirloom-quality pattern adds a timeless appeal to any table!

>>>>

A new thread could be about how the young people today don't want nice china [or antiques of modest value]. Supposedly not even if it's given to them.

Google,

Why are antiques not popular anymore?

Dealers, auctioneers and designers point to a number of reasons for the declining interest in antiques and rapid rise of contemporary design. More homes have open-concept, casual living spaces rather than formal dining rooms and studies, which reduces the need for stately mahogany dining tables, chairs and cabinets
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 17th, 2023 at 2:26:51 AM permalink

Quote: Ace2

link to original post

I've never eaten there but have always been suspicious of the 'we have the meat' claim. Personally, I'd check first to see if it's real roast beef or if instead it's luncheon meat fashioned to look like roast beef, maybe with some red dye. Just seems like a fast food joint that would do stuff like that
link to original post

Having been to a number of Arby's locations, they always seem to have large hunks of meat that they run through the slicer.
It's very salty, but it was meat shaped fairly recently.
Mosca
Mosca
November 17th, 2023 at 5:54:58 AM permalink
Last night we got something called a Pilgrim Pie. That sort of thing is big around here: pilgrim pies, gobbler sandwiches, stuffing lasagna, etc, all variations of Thanksgiving dinner in one.

That’s a thin crust pizza, with cubes of stuffing and turkey, cheese, and a creamy cranberry sauce. Not pictured: gravy on the side. It was interesting, and pretty good. Not “drive half an hour for it” good, but a fun switch up. I’d recommend blending the stuffing seasonings into the crust rather than adding stuffing as a topping.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mosca
November 17th, 2023 at 7:57:42 AM permalink
I make that, without the cheese. Just grab a pizza crust, toss on gravy,potatoes, turkey and stuffing. Heat it up, fold it in half and enjoy.
It's the traditional Ryan family lunch the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Or at least it was when there was a Ryan family.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 17th, 2023 at 8:16:37 AM permalink

Johnson Brothers, Friendly Village, The ("Made in England ...
Friendly Village by Johnson Brothers is a traditional dinnerware pattern best known for its charming depictions of idyllic village scenes. First produced in 1953, this heirloom-quality pattern adds a timeless appeal to any table!

It's 70 years old now but in the 1950s it was a knockoff from dishes made in the late 19th century. As far as antiques they go in and out of fashion. The good stuff, the stuff that was expensive to begin with will always be collectible and will never go away.
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
November 17th, 2023 at 8:30:22 AM permalink
Had this last night. Had bogo coupon. And yes, my sandwich looked like this. Wife had to take half the meat off hers. Just had leftover meat on a bagel for breakfast.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
November 17th, 2023 at 11:54:16 AM permalink

A bowl of raisin bran with strawberry yogurt. (No milk.)

I've never really been a fan of soggy breakfast cereals. Flakes absorb milk very quickly, but absorb yogurt much more slowly.

This was quick and easy, which is nice after getting rudely awakened in the middle of the night. (Everyone is mostly fine. They're much better at getting out of the hospital unscathed than I am.)
link to original post

Gladto hear everyone is mostly ok.nothing like a late night trip to the emergency room. Plus size, should not be that busy middle of the night.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 17th, 2023 at 12:06:08 PM permalink
I'm about to have a prepackaged Santa Fe style salad sourced from the super market.

Good value.

Less than three bucks: lots of lettuce, plus tangy sauce, chicken, corn, cheese.

The perfect light lunch: egad, why didn't I discover these sooner?

"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambit
November 17th, 2023 at 3:33:44 PM permalink
Salisbury steak with mushroom onion gravy.

EvenBob
EvenBob
November 17th, 2023 at 4:00:17 PM permalink
Made from scratch enchiladas. I discovered Mission low carb flour enchiladas and they're really good. Made the enchilada sauce from scratch made a quart of it cuz it keeps for a couple weeks in the fridge. It tastes as good as store-bought and way cheaper. A 10 oz can of Old El Paso enchilada sauce is $2 at Walmart. For the filling I used sauteed onion, cauliflower rice and pulled pork. These are as good as any enchiladas I've ever had.

EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
odiousgambit
November 17th, 2023 at 4:02:38 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

link to original post

That looks great but if I posted that I would get nothing but grief. Because it doesn't look like it belongs on the cover of Bon Appetit. It looks like what normal food looks like when you cook it yourself.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambit
November 17th, 2023 at 4:56:40 PM permalink

link to original post

That looks great but if I posted that I would get nothing but grief. Because it doesn't look like it belongs on the cover of Bon Appetit. It looks like what normal food looks like when you cook it yourself.
link to original post

Folks know what food critics don’t…

Brown food tastes best.

That’s actually a complex gravy, starting with the fond from the meat. Then sautéed mushrooms and onions, deglazed with a half cup of red wine, butter and flour, beef broth, fresh thyme from the herb garden, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire. This gravy, and variations of it, does a lot of the heavy lifting in my kitchen, going on short ribs, stews, oven (not smoked) briskets, etc.
Last edited by: Mosca on Nov 18, 2023
DRich
DRich
November 17th, 2023 at 6:36:53 PM permalink

It did not look that good but it was very big. It was the half pound roast beef sandwich.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 17th, 2023 at 7:16:40 PM permalink

It did not look that good but it was very big. It was the half pound roast beef sandwich.
link to original post

I told the story here before of the only time I ever went to Subway I ordered a guacamole sub and took it home and was so shocked that it looked nothing like the advertised picture, I mean it wasn't even in the ballpark, I took it back to Subway and demanded a refund. They wouldn't do that but they give me another sandwich for free and it's the only time I've ever been there. I was really angry because it was blatant false advertising. In the restaurant the picture was right there on the wall and the actual sandwich looks absolutely nothing like it. The picture look like it had half a cup of guacamole on it and the actual sandwich had maybe at the most two tablespoons smeared around.

This is exactly what it looked like on the wall, this is it. This is what I thought I was going to get. Because I never been to Subway before how would I know they were a total rip-off.

rxwine
rxwine
November 17th, 2023 at 7:53:26 PM permalink
The very first time I tried Subway, I was sick all night. Took me about 2 years before I tried it again.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Mosca
Mosca
November 18th, 2023 at 4:46:37 AM permalink
It’s not all omelets and candy canes. Todays breakfast is a couple pieces of sprouted grain toast with mashed avocado, basil pesto, and tomato, with Maldon sea salt.

DRich
DRich
November 18th, 2023 at 5:13:34 AM permalink
I was out of town last week and just got home late last night. The only thing I ate yesterday was a sausage egg cheese croissant at 7am. I am going to try to talk the wife into going out for breakfast today as I am having a hankering for some eggs benedict.
rxwine
rxwine
November 18th, 2023 at 5:22:23 AM permalink

I was out of town last week and just got home late last night. The only thing I ate yesterday was a sausage egg cheese croissant at 7am. I am going to try to talk the wife into going out for breakfast today as I am having a hankering for some eggs benedict.
link to original post

I thought there used to be a restaurant chain called "Steak and Eggs" but can find no trace of it.
DRich
DRich
November 18th, 2023 at 5:28:57 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

I thought there used to be a restaurant chain called "Steak and Eggs" but can find no trace of it.
link to original post

Maybe you are think of Steak and Ale. I believe they became Bennigan's. There is a restaurant by my house called The Omelet Shop that has excellent Hollandaise sauce.

Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
November 18th, 2023 at 12:22:56 PM permalink
Coffee Part 2

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #12

1) Brazil is the #1 coffee bean producer in the world. What Southeast Asia country is (somewhat surprisingly) the #2 producer?

2) What is the more common two-word name for the coffee brewing device sometimes known as a "plunger pot"?

3) In 2017, Starbucks created a bright pink and blue Frappuccino that quickly went viral, named after what mythical creature?

4) Arabica coffee, combined with rum and sugar, is the main ingredient of what liqueur produced in Veracruz, Mexico?

5) Match the fictional coffee locations to the TV shows or movies they appear in...

Central Perk
CC Jitters
Stan Mikita's Donuts
Farbucks
Crashdown Cafe

The Flash (CW TV)
Shrek 2
Roswell
Wayne's World
Friends

No searching please.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Gialmere
November 18th, 2023 at 3:08:53 PM permalink

1) Don’t know. Java? (Indonesia)
2) French press
3) Idk. My Little Pony?
4) Kahlua
5) No idea. Guesses: a) Central Perk, Friends. b) CC Jitters, The Flash. c) Stan Mikita’s Donuts, Wayne’s World. d) Farbuck’s, Shrek. e) Crashdown Cafe, Roswell. That’s just based on matching the names and the themes to the locations.

Good quiz.
Last edited by: Mosca on Nov 18, 2023
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 20th, 2023 at 6:09:09 PM permalink
Fried ham with cottage cheese and onion scrambled eggs/

DRich
DRich
November 20th, 2023 at 6:10:46 PM permalink

Fried ham with cottage cheese and onion scrambled eggs/

link to original post

This is one of the few Bob meals that I would eat.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 20th, 2023 at 6:54:16 PM permalink
Finally found some Taylor Ham, aka Pork Roll in the store.

Sliced it, fried it, and served it with eggs and hash browns.
"What, me worry?"
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
November 20th, 2023 at 7:15:28 PM permalink

No you just get sick because they contain rodent hair and a certain percentage of mouse turds. I observed firsthand years ago how they make hot dogs and I've stayed away from them ever since. They put everything that nobody wants to eat from chicken and pork into a big vat and they add a bunch of other junk and turn it into a pink goo and force it into hot dog skins.

One of the interesting things about the world is that this is true, and also that hot dogs are delicious. We are lucky here in NEPA to have The Alpine Wurst and Meat House, that has its own packing and processing facility on site; their all beef 5/1 (five to a pound) German franks are incredible. Unfortunately shipping is intentionally ridiculous, so you’ll only find them in the PA/NY/NJ corner of the Northeast, with a little CT/DE in there, too.

I make them “completo” style, which is how they do them in Chile. Chile is a country completely nuts about hot dogs; if you think a Chicago dog is loaded, you got another thing coming.

This is a Completo Italiano, dressed to resemble the Italian flag. Underneath: hot dog, tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, cheese. On top: avocado, mayo, ketchup. The mustard is optional, and does not represent anything Italian.

Although you wouldn’t have thought so, this maintained hot dog integrity down to the very last bite.

link to original post

Oh I want to get these hot dogs. The skinless or natural skin all beef?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
November 21st, 2023 at 1:22:41 AM permalink

Brown food tastes best.

That’s actually a complex gravy, starting with the fond from the meat...
link to original post

Hadn't seen that word used like that. Had to tweak my question to keep from getting the answer to be the word meaning 'you like something'

>>>

googled 'fond meaning in meat'

little browned bits
By definition, a fond refers to those little browned bits of food that are often stuck to the bottom of the pan, skillet or baking dish, especially after searing meat or poultry. These browned bits are packages of flavor

>>>

so, yes, I am fond of fond too, in my cooking
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
unJon
November 21st, 2023 at 1:46:29 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Oh I want to get these hot dogs. The skinless or natural skin all beef?
link to original post

Shipping is insane.

https://alpineonlinestore.com/shop/ols/products/all-beef-frankfurters-skinless
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 21st, 2023 at 1:50:27 AM permalink

Brown food tastes best.

That’s actually a complex gravy, starting with the fond from the meat...
link to original post

Hadn't seen that word used like that. Had to tweak my question to keep from getting the answer to be the word meaning 'you like something'

>>>

googled 'fond meaning in meat'

little browned bits
By definition, a fond refers to those little browned bits of food that are often stuck to the bottom of the pan, skillet or baking dish, especially after searing meat or poultry. These browned bits are packages of flavor

>>>

so, yes, I am fond of fond too, in my cooking
link to original post

As I understand, "fond" is french for "bottom", and in this case... it's whatever is stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Pan sauces are delicious.

And for anyone playing along at home, if you're making a dressing or stuffing later this week that involves crumbled sausage, deglaze that fond after you brown the sausage and fry off the veg. If you don't already, half apple juice and half chicken broth (as compared to water) seriously elevates even basic box dressing.
rxwine
rxwine
November 22nd, 2023 at 8:31:02 AM permalink
Raise your hand if you're having a standard Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. Raise your other hand if you're having a shallow bowl of thin watery gruel.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 22nd, 2023 at 9:53:43 AM permalink

Raise your hand if you're having a standard Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. Raise your other hand if you're having a shallow bowl of thin watery gruel.
link to original post

I stopped celebrating Thanksgiving at least 15 years ago. I always hated it as an adult because I had to do all the cooking and Thanksgiving food is the most boring food I can think of. And I could never change it, everybody always wanted the standard dishes no changes, nothing added, boring crap. So once I didn't have to do it anymore I don't do it at all. Turkey, dressing, green bean salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, candied yams, gag me with a spoon. Bah humbug.. My youngest daughter tried it the year after I gave up on it and she food poisoned all of us was an undercooked turkey. What a pleasant day that was.. She didn't let it thaw completely before she stuck it in the oven so all the meat towards the center of the bird was only partially cooked and we all got sick. If you've ever had salmonella poisoning it's not something you'd soon forget because all you do is puke for hours.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 22nd, 2023 at 10:01:40 AM permalink
(clipped)

My youngest daughter tried it the year after I gave up on it and she food poisoned all of us was an undercooked turkey. What a pleasant day that was.. She didn't let it thaw completely before she stuck it in the oven so all the meat towards the center of the bird was only partially cooked and we all got sick. If you've ever had salmonella poisoning it's not something you'd soon forget because all you do is puke for hours.
link to original post

I was sent to the store with a list this morning.
The number of people buying still-frozen turkeys made me cringe.

I hope they're buying early for something next month.
rxwine
rxwine
November 22nd, 2023 at 10:29:20 AM permalink

link to original post

I stopped celebrating Thanksgiving at least 15 years ago. I always hated it as an adult because I had to do all the cooking and Thanksgiving food is the most boring food I can think of. And I could never change it, everybody always wanted the standard dishes no changes, nothing added, boring crap. So once I didn't have to do it anymore I don't do it at all. Turkey, dressing, green bean salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, candied yams, gag me with a spoon. Bah humbug.. My youngest daughter tried it the year after I gave up on it and she food poisoned all of us was an undercooked turkey. What a pleasant day that was.. She didn't let it thaw completely before she stuck it in the oven so all the meat towards the center of the bird was only partially cooked and we all got sick. If you've ever had salmonella poisoning it's not something you'd soon forget because all you do is puke for hours.
link to original post

Yeah, but that’s the kind of meal that makes memories.

I’m not the one cooking anything, plus there will be more than the usual Thanksgiving eats.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 22nd, 2023 at 11:17:48 AM permalink

I was sent to the store with a list this morning.
The number of people buying still-frozen turkeys made me cringe.

I hope they're buying early for something next month.
link to original post

You might be able to thaw a small 10 lb turkey overnight in a sink full of water but anything bigger than that you're just asking for trouble. A good size turkey like a 20 pounder needs 3 days minimum to thaw in the fridge.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 22nd, 2023 at 11:20:39 AM permalink

Yeah, but that’s the kind of meal that makes memories.

I’m not the one cooking anything, plus there will be more than the usual Thanksgiving eats.
link to original post

One year I somehow stuffed a dish towel into the cavity of the turkey and cooked it that way. That's one they still talk about. Luckily my youngest daughter got married about 14 years ago and they go to her in-laws every year for Thanksgiving and my other two kids live in other states so I don't have to do anything tomorrow. My wife likes ignoring it just as much as I do.
Mosca
Mosca
November 22nd, 2023 at 11:27:59 AM permalink
My in-laws host Thanksgiving, which is fine by me because, like EB, I don’t care for cooking a whole turkey.

My brother in law handles the bird; he is an engineer, and one of the most wonderful people you’ll ever meet. He does not know how to use an instant read thermometer for some reason, though, and cooks the bird until the pop up thermo goes off, which is typically around 190°… Turkey breasts are done at 160°-165°.

My sister in law does the sides, and I have to say that they are freakin’ excellent.

Bob, you’ll like this. The one time I did a turkey, I think it was for Christmas (we host Christmas and I always do prime rib), I made a really excellent home made stuffing, the green bean thing but I used real beans, mushrooms, and onions, and home made cranberry sauce, which home made cranberry sauce RULES. And everyone wanted the canned jelly, the canned green bean thing, and Stove Top stuffing. At least they love my prime rib. And I’ve learned to just do that with salad and baked potatoes. Anything else is wasted, either untouched or just nibbled at.
  • Jump to: