Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 27th, 2023 at 9:04:58 AM permalink
Off to breakfast at the legendary Bisbee Breakfast Club.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 27th, 2023 at 9:57:29 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Dieter

A nice spammaneggancheese sandwich.
Cream cheese, A1.
Spam fried low for about 10 minutes, scrambled egg.

Lovely. I'll probably be forced to atone later on the elliptical for the wrongs I've done.
link to original post

There's a place in Hades set aside for people who eat like this on purpose when they have a choice. I lived in Hawaii for 6 months and when I saw Spam was their favorite food it might be one of the reasons I had to leave.
link to original post

I'm sure I'm going anyway, but you say they'll comp my room?

The last brochure I saw said "Come for the pomegranates... stay for the pomegranates!"
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 27th, 2023 at 10:18:10 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I took my leftover farmer’s pie and stuffed it into a couple red bell peppers, cooked it up and topped with a nice slug of cheese.

link to original post

That kind of reminds me of a fatty tumor.

At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 27th, 2023 at 10:43:53 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't mind some fried SPAM. It was perfectly acceptable with some eggs for breakfast.
link to original post

Spam is like, do you want some salt with your salt?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 27th, 2023 at 11:10:06 AM permalink

I don't mind some fried SPAM. It was perfectly acceptable with some eggs for breakfast.
link to original post

link to original post

I can't speak for everyone's habits, but...
The recommended 2 ounce serving is about 25% RDA sodium. (I usually eat about 3/4's of a recommended serving in a go, or a bit under 20% RDA sodium. Reasonable.)
A box of chicken bits at the gas station are about 98% of the RDA sodium. (I typically ate 3 boxes a day. Delicious, but not good. I have a fair understanding of why I was a walking heart attack.)
A can of spaghetti-ooze (with meatballs, obviously) is about 80% of RDA sodium (if memory serves). Good luck stopping after only a third of a can.
A can of chicken noodle soup is about 100% of RDA sodium. (2.5 servings/can? 39% sodium/serving?)

Canned chicken noodle soup is what I would classify as 'salted salt on salt, in a savory brine reduction'.
Spam at least has a bit of protein.

I do eat things that don't come out of a can, which I definitely recommend.
I had some lovely apples today after the nursonal trainers forced me on a circuit of the ellipticals.
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 11:14:50 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

That is why I like it. Just take a pill. I am on a very strong blood pressure pill that is only prescribed to renal patients with angina. Now I don't have to worry about BP. My last hospital visit my BP was 252/155.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 11:19:55 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I can't speak for everyone's habits, but...
The recommended 2 ounce serving is about 25% RDA sodium. (I usually eat about 3/4's of a recommended serving in a go, or a bit under 20% RDA sodium. Reasonable.)
A box of chicken bits at the gas station are about 98% of the RDA sodium. (I typically ate 3 boxes a day. Delicious, but not good. I have a fair understanding of why I was a walking heart attack.)
A can of spaghetti-ooze (with meatballs, obviously) is about 80% of RDA sodium (if memory serves). Good luck stopping after only a third of a can.
A can of chicken noodle soup is about 100% of RDA sodium. (2.5 servings/can? 39% sodium/serving?)

Canned chicken noodle soup is what I would classify as 'salted salt on salt, in a savory brine reduction'.
Spam at least has a bit of protein.

I do eat things that don't come out of a can, which I definitely recommend.
I had some lovely apples today after the nursonal trainers forced me on a circuit of the ellipticals.
link to original post

And this is why I eat virtually no processed food I make everything from scratch. Obviously my bread is not made from scratch but it's low sodium and everything else I eat I start with the raw ingredients. I've heard people tell stories on how they gave up processed food and completely changed their lives. Everything that was wrong with them physically got better. They had more energy, they slept better, the aches and pains went away, the inflammation vanished. Processed food is literally killing us.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 11:22:26 AM permalink

My last hospital visit my BP was 252/155.
link to original post

So you're taking a pill to raise your BP? Isn't that counterproductive? I'm 74 and my BP is 107/68 and I know this because I take it myself every other day.
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 11:27:01 AM permalink

link to original post

So you're taking a pill to raise your BP? Isn't that counterproductive? I'm 74 and my BP is 107/68 and I know this because I take it myself every other day.
link to original post

No, I just started on this pill after those 5 days in the hospital. I haven't had a heart attack in almost 25 years.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 11:33:19 AM permalink

No, I just started on this pill after those 5 days in the hospital. I haven't had a heart attack in almost 25 years.
link to original post

And that's your medicated adjusted blood pressure? Holy crap, you must have a guardian angel looking over you. If my blood pressure was that high my doctor would have a heart attack.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 27th, 2023 at 11:57:15 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

It probably gave up and left in protest.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
October 27th, 2023 at 1:18:40 PM permalink

A nice spammaneggancheese sandwich.
Cream cheese, A1.
Spam fried low for about 10 minutes, scrambled egg.

Lovely. I'll probably be forced to atone later on the elliptical for the wrongs I've done.
link to original post

There's a place in Hades set aside for people who eat like this on purpose when they have a choice. I lived in Hawaii for 6 months and when I saw Spam was their favorite food it might be one of the reasons I had to leave.
link to original post

This judgmental post is uninformed and just downright ignorant. There are millions of people whose lifestyle conflict with your own, and they seem to be making out okay. Inserting one's dietary prejudices to the detriment of others reflects a true lack of knowledge.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 1:25:17 PM permalink

link to original post

And that's your medicated adjusted blood pressure? Holy crap, you must have a guardian angel looking over you. If my blood pressure was that high my doctor would have a heart attack.
link to original post

No, the 252/155 was before this medication. I am sadly a rather normal 130/80 now with these pills.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 27th, 2023 at 1:28:31 PM permalink

I took my leftover farmer’s pie and stuffed it into a couple red bell peppers, cooked it up and topped with a nice slug of cheese.

link to original post

That kind of reminds me of a fatty tumor.

link to original post

For some reason the software keeps telling me that my better 3.7mb photo is over 5mb. I’ll try screenshotting, cropping, and uploading that… okay.

A falling knife has no handle.
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 2:00:50 PM permalink
The world's new number one cheese

https://www.cnn.com/travel/worlds-best-cheese-awards-2023-norway/index.html
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 2:25:03 PM permalink

The world's new number one cheese

https://www.cnn.com/travel/worlds-best-cheese-awards-2023-norway/index.html
link to original post

I can't have cheese around, if I get a pound of blue cheese I'll eat the whole thing in one day. If I ate breakfast cereal I'd put it on my breakfast cereal.
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 2:35:53 PM permalink
For Bob:

Todays dinner is BBQ Cajun chicken thighs. Two for me and two for the dogs.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 2:57:21 PM permalink

For Bob:

link to original post

Can dogs eat barbecue? I don't know if I give it to my dog. If I had one.
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 3:00:42 PM permalink

My dogs eat whatever I eat. Besides, it is just seasoned chicken cooked on the grill.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 3:12:53 PM permalink

My dogs eat whatever I eat. Besides, it is just seasoned chicken cooked on the grill.
link to original post

I would be afraid that it had garlic or onion in it and both those things are very toxic in any form to cats and dogs. Fresh powdered frozen it doesn't matter they cannot eat anything that has garlic and onion in it and barbecue sauce is big for having both those ingredients. Giving your dogs what you eat is not very smart.
rxwine
rxwine
October 27th, 2023 at 3:38:26 PM permalink

For Bob:

link to original post

link to original post

That looks like a Poker playing dog. Does he outplay you?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
October 27th, 2023 at 3:44:32 PM permalink
Btw, a gift idea, if you have animals, is to take pictures of them, and find someone on Fiverr or similar and have them turn your pets into poker players like the original painting. Or maybe just a t-shirt.
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 3:50:21 PM permalink

link to original post

I would be afraid that it had garlic or onion in it and both those things are very toxic in any form to cats and dogs. Fresh powdered frozen it doesn't matter they cannot eat anything that has garlic and onion in it and barbecue sauce is big for having both those ingredients. Giving your dogs what you eat is not very smart.
link to original post

I don't use BBQ sauce but I am sure the seasoning had both garlic and onion. Again, the dogs eat whatever I eat. They are dogs, they eat opossums, birds, rabbits,lizards, etc. they will be fine..
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 3:51:21 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

For Bob:

link to original post

link to original post

That looks like a Poker playing dog. Does he outplay you?
link to original post

Everybody plays poker better than me.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 4:13:27 PM permalink

I don't use BBQ sauce but I am sure the seasoning had both garlic and onion. Again, the dogs eat whatever I eat. They are dogs, they eat opossums, birds, rabbits,lizards, etc. they will be fine..
link to original post

Please stop doing that. You can't see it but if you're giving your dogs girl like an onion you're destroying their liver and shortening their lives.

"There is a compound found in these foods (onion and garlic) called N-propyl disulfide. This compound damages oxygen-carrying red blood cells. This causes hemolysis which leads to anemia. Anemia itself is a dangerous condition for our pets, but it can also lead to severe organ failure or death."
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 4:19:49 PM permalink

link to original post

Please stop doing that. You can't see it but if you're giving your dogs girl like an onion you're destroying their liver and shortening their lives.

"There is a compound found in these foods (onion and garlic) called N-propyl disulfide. This compound damages oxygen-carrying red blood cells. This causes hemolysis which leads to anemia. Anemia itself is a dangerous condition for our pets, but it can also lead to severe organ failure or death."
link to original post

If they want it they can have it. Some of us choose to live our lives and enjoy each day and not worry much about how many future days we have. If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, and didn't eat what I wanted today, I would regret it for eternity (not that I believe in that but you get the point). I was supposed to be dead in 1980 so I believe in enjoying each day as it comes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
SOOPOO
October 27th, 2023 at 4:24:22 PM permalink

If they want it they can have it. Some of us choose to live our lives and enjoy each day and not worry much about how many future days we have. If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, and didn't eat what I wanted today, I would regret it for eternity (not that I believe in that but you get the point). I was supposed to be dead in 1980 so I believe in enjoying each day as it comes.
link to original post

The problem is our pets are totally dependent on us to make the right decisions for them and one of those decisions is not to poison them just because we feel like it. They have no choice because they trust us. I would never give anything to my cats that I thought was harmful. Not in a million years cuz then I'm betraying that trust.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
October 27th, 2023 at 4:39:52 PM permalink

For Bob:

link to original post

Maybe you should check your dogs blood pressure!
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 27th, 2023 at 4:45:02 PM permalink
I discovered pre-packaged salads at the super market and they make for a tasty lunch.

Nice variety of choices and the price is surprisingly low: sometimes three bucks.

Had a SW style one today.

Tonight: spam fried rice is looming on the horizon.
"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 5:52:27 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Btw, a gift idea, if you have animals, is to take pictures of them, and find someone on Fiverr or similar and have them turn your pets into poker players like the original painting. Or maybe just a t-shirt.
link to original post

I do have this picture of my dogs. Yes, the puppy is really that tall.

Mosca
Mosca
October 27th, 2023 at 6:14:57 PM permalink
Regarding dogs and cats and food, Bob is right. Dogs will drink antifreeze, it tastes sweet to them.

The big 5:

Chocolate
Alliums (onions, garlic, chives, etc)
Avocados
Grapes and raisins
Macadamia nuts
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2023 at 6:19:09 PM permalink

Regarding dogs and cats and food, Bob is right. Dogs will drink antifreeze, it tastes sweet to them.

The big 5:

Chocolate
Avocados
Grapes and raisins
Macadamia nuts
link to original post

I am not going to feed my dog a 5lb box of chocolates, but if I am having an Oreo they can have one too
Mosca
Mosca
October 27th, 2023 at 6:42:55 PM permalink

The big 5:

Chocolate
Avocados
Grapes and raisins
Macadamia nuts
link to original post

I am not going to feed my dog a 5lb box of chocolates, but if I am having an Oreo they can have one too
link to original post

It’s just information, do with it as you will.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 27th, 2023 at 7:23:35 PM permalink

link to original post

Because they're only animals, right? Who gives a crap. If you kill him you can just get another one. I get it.
MrV
MrV
October 27th, 2023 at 7:34:42 PM permalink

I am not going to feed my dog a 5lb box of chocolates, but if I am having an Oreo they can have one too.

I detect more than a little anthropomorphizing going on here.

Hell, your dog might well be your best friend, but you don't buy him a beer, either.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
October 27th, 2023 at 7:40:26 PM permalink
DRich
DRich
October 28th, 2023 at 6:38:54 AM permalink

link to original post

Because they're only animals, right? Who gives a crap. If you kill him you can just get another one. I get it.
link to original post

No, I treat myself, my wife, and my kids the same way.
DRich
DRich
October 28th, 2023 at 6:40:08 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I am not going to feed my dog a 5lb box of chocolates, but if I am having an Oreo they can have one too.

I detect more than a little anthropomorphizing going on here.

Hell, your dog might well be your best friend, but you don't buy him a beer, either.
link to original post

The dogs prefer white wine. They seem to have an affinity for Pinot Grigio.
MrV
MrV
October 28th, 2023 at 12:33:44 PM permalink

The dogs prefer white wine. They seem to have an affinity for Pinot Grigio.

They're dogs, for heavens sake.

Heck.give 'em vin ordinaire.

But for special occasions...

"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
October 28th, 2023 at 2:53:08 PM permalink
Tonights dinner a Walmart thin crust bacon pizza. I ate half and the dogs got the other half.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 28th, 2023 at 3:37:47 PM permalink

Tonights dinner a Walmart thin crust bacon pizza. I ate half and the dogs got the other half.

link to original post

"You should not give pizza to your dog. It contains ingredients that are toxic to dogs, such as: Onions, Garlic, Tomato sauce. The bottom line is that you should never give pizza to your dog, whether as a meal or a treat."

Good job!
DRich
DRich
October 28th, 2023 at 3:59:38 PM permalink

"You should not give pizza to your dog. It contains ingredients that are toxic to dogs, such ]as: Onions, Garlic, Tomato sauce. The bottom line is that you should never give pizza to your dog, whether as a meal or a treat."

Good job!

But they would be mad at me if they didn't each get a piece. If I am eating it and they want it, they will get some. The old fat black dog would take my arm if if she didn't get some.
Mosca
Mosca
October 28th, 2023 at 4:39:16 PM permalink

"You should not give pizza to your dog. It contains ingredients that are toxic to dogs, such ]as: Onions, Garlic, Tomato sauce. The bottom line is that you should never give pizza to your dog, whether as a meal or a treat."

Good job!

But they would be mad at me if they didn't each get a piece. If I am eating it and they want it, they will get some. The old fat black dog would take my arm if if she didn't get some.
link to original post

We always ate to the crust, and gave the dogs bits of crust. They just wanted “some”.
Mosca
Mosca
October 28th, 2023 at 4:40:23 PM permalink
Steak night.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 28th, 2023 at 4:53:45 PM permalink

Steak night.

link to original post

Are those the spicy-sweet barbecue beans?
Mosca
Mosca
October 28th, 2023 at 5:24:57 PM permalink
Lol, yep. Those are brisket beans. There’s just me & Mrs Mosca, so when I make a batch over the summer I freeze them into two-packs. She asks for brisket beans, she get brisket beans. I use the trimmings from squaring up the brisket. I also make pork beans, using the sternum, flap, and diaphragm from whole spares. Pretty much the same recipe otherwise. I have no preference, just like I have no preference for ribs or brisket. My favorite is whichever one is on my plate at the moment.
DRich
DRich
October 28th, 2023 at 5:31:45 PM permalink

Steak night.

Your steak looks wonderful but I don't understand the point of the other stuff on the plate.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 28th, 2023 at 5:45:45 PM permalink
It had that particular look about the sauce. ;)

After growing up on a molasses bean recipe, I now find myself almost exclusively preferring tangy tomato sauce beans - with or without pork. Once in a great while, I'll do a batch of caramelized onion-bacon beans.
Mosca
Mosca
October 28th, 2023 at 5:49:36 PM permalink

Steak night.

Your steak looks wonderful but I don't understand the point of the other stuff on the plate.
link to original post

It’s what Mrs Mosca wanted. I love the mushrooms and onions. If she hadn’t requested the beans and mac, I probably would have done broccoli and potatoes of some kind.
DRich
DRich
October 28th, 2023 at 5:54:15 PM permalink

\
It’s what Mrs Mosca wanted. I love the mushrooms and onions. If she hadn’t requested the beans and mac, I probably would have done broccoli and potatoes of some kind.

I am just a simple man, I don't make side dishes. I would have just had the steak.
  • Jump to: