Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11089
September 19th, 2023 at 4:42:30 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Wife is making chicken avgolemono soup. Enough for a dozen or so of my WoV friends to share. The house smells great. Started with 96 ounces of chicken broth. Lots of onions, carrots, garlic, pasta, chicken breast, and of course, lemon juice. Ready in about an hour. She found a recipe that did not use egg yolk.
link to original post



Sounds good but I have never heard of it before this. I rarely go to Greek restaurants.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 19th, 2023 at 5:01:55 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: SOOPOO

Wife is making chicken avgolemono soup. Enough for a dozen or so of my WoV friends to share. The house smells great. Started with 96 ounces of chicken broth. Lots of onions, carrots, garlic, pasta, chicken breast, and of course, lemon juice. Ready in about an hour. She found a recipe that did not use egg yolk.
link to original post



Sounds good but I have never heard of it before this. I rarely go to Greek restaurants.
link to original post



I have not been to a restaurant since 2018. My wife loves restaurants but even she doesn't go anymore because of inflation it's just too expensive. My brother told me he went to a Chinese buffet I used to go to all the time last week and the price had literally doubled from $9.99 to $19.99 and the selection of food is far worse than it used to be. He said he's never going back.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2671
September 19th, 2023 at 5:46:51 PM permalink
I havenít driven since 2018. Gas prices are too high

And once low-quality hamburger meat hits $5/pound I will never buy it again.
Itís all about making that GTA
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5038
September 19th, 2023 at 6:00:37 PM permalink
Thank goodness my live lobster guy only went from $8.99/lb to $9.99/lb.
Feels like a bargain!
May the cards fall in your favor.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 121
  • Posts: 10420
Thanks for this post from:
rawtuff
September 19th, 2023 at 6:28:59 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I havenít driven since 2018. Gas prices are too high

And once low-quality hamburger meat hits $5/pound I will never buy it again.
link to original post



Donít you have a sure fire method/system/bet selection/randomness evaluator/sleeping number evaluator/ that gives you free money from on line casinos in both roulette and baccarat that would make prices on gas/hamburger meat/Chinese buffets/sardines/cat food/candles irrelevant?

Or am I confusing you with someone else?
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 19th, 2023 at 8:02:14 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I havenít driven since 2018. Gas prices are too high

link to original post



Eating in restaurants is not a necessity, far from it. Driving is a necessity for most people. So it's very easy to cut restaurants out of your life, especially since restaurants mostly suck anyway. People think they're great because they have no idea what good food tastes like. I do, therefore I avoid restaurants like they serve garbage because that's mostly what they serve. Bland overcooked under seasoned crap but because most people eat nothing but pre-made Frozen and boxed food at home, the crappy restaurant food tastes like a step up.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
tuttigym
tuttigym
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 1789
Thanks for this post from:
ams288
September 20th, 2023 at 6:40:48 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: DRich

Quote: SOOPOO

Wife is making chicken avgolemono soup. Enough for a dozen or so of my WoV friends to share. The house smells great. Started with 96 ounces of chicken broth. Lots of onions, carrots, garlic, pasta, chicken breast, and of course, lemon juice. Ready in about an hour. She found a recipe that did not use egg yolk.
link to original post



Sounds good but I have never heard of it before this. I rarely go to Greek restaurants.
link to original post



I have not been to a restaurant since 2018. My wife loves restaurants but even she doesn't go anymore because of inflation it's just too expensive. My brother told me he went to a Chinese buffet I used to go to all the time last week and the price had literally doubled from $9.99 to $19.99 and the selection of food is far worse than it used to be. He said he's never going back.
link to original post


If you increase your crystal ball roulette gambling play, you should be able to start frequenting your wife's favorite eateries and maybe treat your brother to a couple of buffets.

tuttigym
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 20th, 2023 at 7:33:48 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym


If you increase your crystal ball roulette gambling play, you should be able to start frequenting your wife's favorite eateries and maybe treat your brother to a couple of buffets.

tuttigym
link to original post



WHO CARES!
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
tuttigym
tuttigym
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 1789
September 20th, 2023 at 8:47:47 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: tuttigym


If you increase your crystal ball roulette gambling play, you should be able to start frequenting your wife's favorite eateries and maybe treat your brother to a couple of buffets.

tuttigym
link to original post



WHO CARES!
link to original post


They do.

tuttigym
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11878
September 20th, 2023 at 10:44:54 AM permalink
Trivial hack

Slightly pop open sardine can. Drain liguid, then open the rest of the way. Works with tuna cans.

I actually donít like it completely drained. Just mostly.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
September 20th, 2023 at 1:02:06 PM permalink
I had heard great things about a taco truck down the block from my house in Tucson. It's usually very crowded; sometimes, they have DJs or even bands. I caught them in a lull and ordered a street taco, a monster taco, and a giant burrito. $13.50 with a free bottle of water. The street taco was nothing to talk about, the monster taco was forgettable, but the burrito was fantastic. It was $7.50, but would be a meal for most people. I'll go back.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 20th, 2023 at 5:05:55 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I had heard great things about a taco truck down the block from my house in Tucson. It's usually very crowded; sometimes, they have DJs or even bands. I caught them in a lull and ordered a street taco, a monster taco, and a giant burrito. $13.50 with a free bottle of water. The street taco was nothing to talk about, the monster taco was forgettable, but the burrito was fantastic. It was $7.50, but would be a meal for most people. I'll go back.
link to original post



I would gain weight just looking at a taco truck. Shudder..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
September 20th, 2023 at 5:17:27 PM permalink
It's not my favorite food but tacos are omnipresent in Tucson. I only this week became aware of a large shopping center a few blocks north of me. When I looked at this neighborhood a few years ago it was a food desert. Now there are two supermarkets and a number of fast-food and sit-down Mexican joints.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 24th, 2023 at 9:57:35 PM permalink
For me this is a terrific meal. Fried eggplant, sauteed catfish, and Chinese green beans made with fried onion, sesame oil and scrambled egg. I made enough beans for at least two meals.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 25th, 2023 at 1:44:00 AM permalink
Last night was a silly little experiment in eating the lowest quality cheapskate meal I could muster. Don't damn me. $:o)
Minimalist, student, variation on Chinese sweet and sour battered chicken with fried rice.

Ingredients to feed two

20 frozen chicken nuggets from ALDI ( 30 for £1.55 = about $2 )
235g jar Sweet & Sour sauce ( with a hint of plum ) from ALDI £1.25 = about $1.50 *
150g long grain rice.
1 Large egg.
handful of frozen peas.
splash of sunflower oil.
splash of soy sauce.

Served with 4 tiny duck spring rolls per person (ALDI again)

Boiled the rice at noon and popped it in the fridge. In the evening, fried the rice up with beaten egg and peas and splash of soy sauce. Heated the rest in the oven for 15 mins.

It was rubbish, but in a fun way: A pauper's feast at less than $2 per person. Actually, the egg fried rice was top-notch and as good as any Chinese restaurant. The tiny spring rolls were tasty.
Next time, I'll spend far less by substituting the sauce for just tomato puree, cornflour, sugar and vinegar $:o)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 25th, 2023 at 1:54:52 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Donít you have a sure fire method/system/bet selection/randomness evaluator/sleeping number evaluator/ that gives you free money from on line casinos in both roulette and baccarat ...
link to original post


Quote: tuttigym

If you increase your crystal ball roulette gambling play, you should be able to ...
link to original post



SHAME on both of you for hijacking this thread with such totally off topic excrement. Mocking EvenBob's 'method' claims has it's place, but doing so here, just because EB is active in this thread is pathetic and troll-like.
I support EB in his 'Who cares' dismissiveness of your posts.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 25th, 2023 at 2:06:04 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Ace2

Quote: EvenBob

This is the last of the plant-based hamburger and I'm going to kind of miss it. It was really good every bit as good as real ground beef. But at $9 a pound I don't think so. Had some turnip fries which I like even better than potato fries.


link to original post

Not enough bread. White bread should be eaten abundantly according to American Dietary Guidelines
link to original post



You go ahead and load up on that Wonder Bread, I haven't had white bread probably since the 90s and then it was an accident. When I lived in California I used to buy whole wheat flour by the 100 lb sack and I made all my own bread. Even my own hot dog when hamburger buns. I marvel at it now wondering when did I ever have the time but it sure was good. The bread on these sandwiches has 1/3 the calories of a regular slice of bread in 1/20th the carbs. It also cost 3.5 times more per loaf than a regular loaf of bread.
link to original post



EvenBob,
Tell us more about the bread. That looks like white bread, so how does it come to be so low in carbs.
Also, turnip fries ! sounds inspired. Did you deep fry or air fry or what?
Unfortunately turnips are very expensive and uncommon here, so they would be a rare treat.

Thanks for your many food photos.

I LOL along with you at the comments about American Dietary Guidelines promoting white bread. UK guidelines were also badly influenced by the agriculture industry,
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 25th, 2023 at 2:26:23 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

For me this is a terrific meal. Fried eggplant, sauteed catfish, and Chinese green beans made with fried onion, sesame oil and scrambled egg. I made enough beans for at least two meals.


link to original post


How did you get that brown glaze on the egg plant? Same as the gravy on the beans? Looks very rich and flavoursome.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5038
September 25th, 2023 at 6:38:32 AM permalink
I made a muffin mix this morning for the kids. (Blueberry cheesecake flavor.) They usually force me to eat one.
These 6 muffin mixes are surprisingly quick and easy to prepare in a toaster oven (preheat while mixing the batter, set and forget for the 16 minute bake time.. ding means done, but they're fine to forget about for a few minutes if you're wrestling someone into their school clothes), and they seem to satisfy as well as the convenience store muffins.
I've used several brands of 6-muffin mixes, and they all come out quite well.

To actually eat, it was a bowl of oatmeal. "Quick" oats, cooked with a handful of raisins, a sprinkle of salt, nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon. Heavily doused with cinnamon in the bowl, sprinkled with a bit of Splenda, and topped with a sliver of butter - just enough to melt into a thin butter-moat around the edge.

I do use real butter. Trying to believe that not-butter is in fact butter is a bridge too far, even when attempting to believe impossible things, and possibly a violation of state law.
May the cards fall in your favor.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
September 25th, 2023 at 6:59:19 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Last night was a silly little experiment in eating the lowest quality cheapskate meal I could muster. Don't damn me. $:o)
Minimalist, student, variation on Chinese sweet and sour battered chicken with fried rice.

Ingredients to feed two

20 frozen chicken nuggets from ALDI ( 30 for £1.55 = about $2 )
235g jar Sweet & Sour sauce ( with a hint of plum ) from ALDI £1.25 = about $1.50 *
150g long grain rice.
1 Large egg.
handful of frozen peas.
splash of sunflower oil.
splash of soy sauce.

Served with 4 tiny duck spring rolls per person (ALDI again)

Boiled the rice at noon and popped it in the fridge. In the evening, fried the rice up with beaten egg and peas and splash of soy sauce. Heated the rest in the oven for 15 mins.

It was rubbish, but in a fun way: A pauper's feast at less than $2 per person. Actually, the egg fried rice was top-notch and as good as any Chinese restaurant. The tiny spring rolls were tasty.
Next time, I'll spend far less by substituting the sauce for just tomato puree, cornflour, sugar and vinegar $:o)
link to original post


I have shamefully done similar with chicken nuggets and jarred Tiki Masala sauce.
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2811
September 25th, 2023 at 8:31:20 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #8

1) Which McDonald's sandwich is said to be an assembly line version of eggs benedict sans the hollandaise sauce?

2) If you pour some whisked eggs into a frying pan, toss on some ham, cheese, onions and green bell peppers, cook, then fold half the eggs onto the other half, what have you made?

3) Combining whipped egg whites with sugar creates what confection often found in candy bars?

4) If you mix milk, cream, sugar, egg yolks and whipped egg whites, pour in some (optional) booze and take a sip, what are you drinking?

5) Huevos rancheros is a Mexican egg dish that traditionally uses what type of sauce?


No searching please.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
September 25th, 2023 at 10:51:20 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere


Quick Food Trivia Quiz #8

1) Which McDonald's sandwich is said to be an assembly line version of eggs benedict sans the hollandaise sauce?

McMuffin?
Correct

2) If you pour some whisked eggs into a frying pan, toss on some ham, cheese, onions and green bell peppers, cook, then fold half the eggs onto the other half, what have you made?
Spanish Omelette
Unsure

3) Combining whipped egg whites with sugar creates what confection often found in candy bars?
Meringue?
Correct

4) If you mix milk, cream, sugar, egg yolks and whipped egg whites, pour in some (optional) booze and take a sip, what are you drinking?
Advocaat?
Wrong

5) Huevos rancheros is a Mexican egg dish that traditionally uses what type of sauce?
Hot Chilli?
Ambiguous

No searching please.
link to original post

Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 6345
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
September 25th, 2023 at 11:08:56 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere


5) Huevos rancheros is a Mexican egg dish that traditionally uses what type of sauce?


No searching please.
link to original post



No idea, but I eat it for breakfast on just about every cruise I go on:

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
tuttigym
tuttigym
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 1789
September 25th, 2023 at 12:16:28 PM permalink
Yep. I overstepped. My apologies.

tuttigym
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 25th, 2023 at 12:23:00 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Yep. I overstepped. My apologies.

tuttigym
link to original post

Uh?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Thanks for this post from:
Gialmere
September 25th, 2023 at 1:35:45 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere


Quick Food Trivia Quiz #8

1) Which McDonald's sandwich is said to be an assembly line version of eggs benedict sans the hollandaise sauce?

McMuffin


2) If you pour some whisked eggs into a frying pan, toss on some ham, cheese, onions and green bell peppers, cook, then fold half the eggs onto the other half, what have you made?
Western Omelette


3) Combining whipped egg whites with sugar creates what confection often found in candy bars?
Merang sounds right but I have never seen that in candy, so nougett maybe (excuse spelling)


4) If you mix milk, cream, sugar, egg yolks and whipped egg whites, pour in some (optional) booze and take a sip, what are you drinking?
Egg Nog


5) Huevos rancheros is a Mexican egg dish that traditionally uses what type of sauce?
Tabasco?


No searching please.
link to original post


link to original post

DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11089
September 25th, 2023 at 2:25:16 PM permalink
I went to a wedding this weekend and at the reception they had a high end taco bar. It was awesome and probably an inexpensive food option for a reception.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 25th, 2023 at 2:58:06 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I went to a wedding this weekend
link to original post



You finally married your second wife? About time
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11089
September 25th, 2023 at 3:02:05 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: DRich

I went to a wedding this weekend
link to original post



You finally married your second wife? About time
link to original post



Nope, haven't seen her in about five months. My wife is going on vacation with her next month.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
September 25th, 2023 at 4:12:53 PM permalink
Last week, I received a Welcome to the Neighborhood package. There were quite a few discount coupons and several freebies. One coupon was for lunch at a local pub. It was any burger, up to $12.95, and a pint of beer or unlimited soda for $7. I drove by today, and there were only a few cars, so I stopped in.
The bar was attractive, Western-style, with a band stage, a dance floor, and pool tables. I sat down, and the bar maiden introduced herself and put a napkin before me. I asked for a menu, and she was pleasant enough. Then I showed her the coupon, and it was like I stuck a gun in her face. While not rude, she toned down her happiness meter quite a bit. The food was okay, but her attitude certainly lessened the experience.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 25th, 2023 at 9:05:53 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Last week, I received a Welcome to the Neighborhood package. There were quite a few discount coupons and several freebies. One coupon was for lunch at a local pub. It was any burger, up to $12.95, and a pint of beer or unlimited soda for $7. I drove by today, and there were only a few cars, so I stopped in.
The bar was attractive, Western-style, with a band stage, a dance floor, and pool tables. I sat down, and the bar maiden introduced herself and put a napkin before me. I asked for a menu, and she was pleasant enough. Then I showed her the coupon, and it was like I stuck a gun in her face. While not rude, she toned down her happiness meter quite a bit. The food was okay, but her attitude certainly lessened the experience.
link to original post

LOL. That's pretty shocking.
Your description of the venue brought to mind the film RoadHouse for some reason.

I'm just curious: At what level did you tip? See, here in the UK, we seldom tip anyway and when we do it's to thank the server for service beyond acceptable. This server would seem to have given service at, or below acceptable and would have got $0.
It's just a cultural difference, and our servers get a proper hourly wage, so let's not get too deep down the hijack route..
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2671
September 25th, 2023 at 9:37:57 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Last week, I received a Welcome to the Neighborhood package. There were quite a few discount coupons and several freebies. One coupon was for lunch at a local pub. It was any burger, up to $12.95, and a pint of beer or unlimited soda for $7. I drove by today, and there were only a few cars, so I stopped in.
The bar was attractive, Western-style, with a band stage, a dance floor, and pool tables. I sat down, and the bar maiden introduced herself and put a napkin before me. I asked for a menu, and she was pleasant enough. Then I showed her the coupon, and it was like I stuck a gun in her face. While not rude, she toned down her happiness meter quite a bit. The food was okay, but her attitude certainly lessened the experience.
link to original post

This is exactly how a coupon-clipper should be treated. Kudos to the server
Itís all about making that GTA
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 2671
September 25th, 2023 at 9:40:55 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

[.
It's just a cultural difference, and our servers get a proper hourly wage, so let's not get too deep down the hijack route..
link to original post

That statement is contradictory. Itís NOT just a cultural difference. Itís a very different compensation system in the USA
Itís all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 25th, 2023 at 11:23:18 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Quote: billryan

Last week, I received a Welcome to the Neighborhood package. There were quite a few discount coupons and several freebies. One coupon was for lunch at a local pub. It was any burger, up to $12.95, and a pint of beer or unlimited soda for $7. I drove by today, and there were only a few cars, so I stopped in.
The bar was attractive, Western-style, with a band stage, a dance floor, and pool tables. I sat down, and the bar maiden introduced herself and put a napkin before me. I asked for a menu, and she was pleasant enough. Then I showed her the coupon, and it was like I stuck a gun in her face. While not rude, she toned down her happiness meter quite a bit. The food was okay, but her attitude certainly lessened the experience.
link to original post

This is exactly how a coupon-clipper should be treated. Kudos to the server
link to original post



Oh my God, hell has frozen over. I actually agree with Ace about something.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 26th, 2023 at 6:51:30 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Quote: OnceDear

[.
It's just a cultural difference, and our servers get a proper hourly wage, so let's not get too deep down the hijack route..
link to original post

That statement is contradictory. Itís NOT just a cultural difference. Itís a very different compensation system in the USA
link to original post

Good point, well made.
It is a cultural difference as well as a very different compensation system.

I disagree with your agreeing with the server's behaviour. But it's your country, your rules.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
tuttigym
tuttigym
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 1789
September 26th, 2023 at 7:18:49 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Quote: Ace2

Quote: OnceDear

[.
It's just a cultural difference, and our servers get a proper hourly wage, so let's not get too deep down the hijack route..
link to original post

That statement is contradictory. Itís NOT just a cultural difference. Itís a very different compensation system in the USA
link to original post

Good point, well made.
It is a cultural difference as well as a very different compensation system.

I disagree with your agreeing with the server's behaviour. But it's your country, your rules.
link to original post


You did barely mention the hijacking above without calling out those individuals by name, but it would be nice if you showed some consistency.

tuttigym
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 26th, 2023 at 8:20:51 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Quote: OnceDear

Quote: Ace2

Quote: OnceDear

[.
It's just a cultural difference, and our servers get a proper hourly wage, so let's not get too deep down the hijack route..
link to original post

That statement is contradictory. Itís NOT just a cultural difference. Itís a very different compensation system in the USA
link to original post

Good point, well made.
It is a cultural difference as well as a very different compensation system.

I disagree with your agreeing with the server's behaviour. But it's your country, your rules.
link to original post


You did barely mention the hijacking above without calling out those individuals by name, but it would be nice if you showed some consistency.

tuttigym
link to original post

My apologies Tuttigym.

BOO!
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
tuttigym
tuttigym
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
  • Threads: 10
  • Posts: 1789
September 26th, 2023 at 10:08:44 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Quote: tuttigym

Quote: OnceDear

Quote: Ace2

Quote: OnceDear

[.
It's just a cultural difference, and our servers get a proper hourly wage, so let's not get too deep down the hijack route..
link to original post

That statement is contradictory. Itís NOT just a cultural difference. Itís a very different compensation system in the USA
link to original post

Good point, well made.
It is a cultural difference as well as a very different compensation system.

I disagree with your agreeing with the server's behaviour. But it's your country, your rules.
link to original post


You did barely mention the hijacking above without calling out those individuals by name, but it would be nice if you showed some consistency.

tuttigym
link to original post

My apologies Tuttigym.

BOO!

link to original post


OD: YOU ARE ONE CLASS ACT.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
September 26th, 2023 at 10:44:33 AM permalink
I am cooking a one-pot spaghetti dish. Grilling up a five-ounce Omaha steak burger. When it's cooked, I'll mash it up and fry it along with a few ounces of spaghetti. When the pasta is cooked, I'll drizzle some sauce and spices.
I used to fry cooked leftover pasta but only recently started frying right out of the box. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 26th, 2023 at 11:01:19 AM permalink
Quote: billryan


I used to fry cooked leftover pasta but only recently started frying right out of the box. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
link to original post



Fried pasta, isn't that what Olympic athletes eat to stay in super trim condition?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
September 26th, 2023 at 11:11:33 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: billryan


I used to fry cooked leftover pasta but only recently started frying right out of the box. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
link to original post



Fried pasta, isn't that what Olympic athletes eat to stay in super trim condition?
link to original post



If Once Dear is correct, EB won't see my response. I like this game.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 26th, 2023 at 11:19:01 AM permalink
Quote: billryan



If Once Dear is correct, EB won't see my response. I like this game.
link to original post



Why would I not see your response, I don't have you blocked, I don't get it. If I don't block you I'll see every post you make. Duh
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 26th, 2023 at 11:45:50 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: EvenBob

Quote: billryan


I used to fry cooked leftover pasta but only recently started frying right out of the box. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
link to original post



Fried pasta, isn't that what Olympic athletes eat to stay in super trim condition?
link to original post



If Once Dear is correct, EB won't see my response. I like this game.
link to original post


The space you put in my user id broke it.

Of course, he could be lying about blocking me.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
ams288
ams288
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 6345
September 26th, 2023 at 11:47:50 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Quote: billryan

Quote: EvenBob

Quote: billryan


I used to fry cooked leftover pasta but only recently started frying right out of the box. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
link to original post



Fried pasta, isn't that what Olympic athletes eat to stay in super trim condition?
link to original post



If Once Dear is correct, EB won't see my response. I like this game.
link to original post


The space you put in my user id broke it.

Of course, he could be lying about blocking me.
link to original post



Anyone who has to specifically tell the forum theyíve blocked you is definitely reading 100% of your posts in reality.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
OnceDear
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 7302
September 26th, 2023 at 11:56:30 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Quote: OnceDear

Quote: billryan

Quote: EvenBob

Quote: billryan


I used to fry cooked leftover pasta but only recently started frying right out of the box. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
link to original post



Fried pasta, isn't that what Olympic athletes eat to stay in super trim condition?
link to original post



If Once Dear is correct, EB won't see my response. I like this game.
link to original post


The space you put in my user id broke it.

Of course, he could be lying about blocking me.
link to original post



Anyone who has to specifically tell the forum theyíve blocked you is definitely reading 100% of your posts in reality.
link to original post

Which reality? $:o)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5038
September 26th, 2023 at 2:30:51 PM permalink
Made a vegetable medley.
Onion, carrot, celery, red & green cabbage.
Stir fried until mostly tender, seasoned with soy sauce & vinegar.

Big batch, should last a few days, unless the rest of the family starts pinching vegetables. (Which is fine, but sometimes I look forward to.eating my own leftovers.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 26th, 2023 at 2:37:22 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

(Which is fine, but sometimes I look forward to.eating my own leftovers.)
link to original post



I always 100% of the time look forward to leftovers. Tonight I'm having those Chinese green beans I made the other night that I posted a picture of and they will be three times better because they've been sitting for a couple days.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5038
September 26th, 2023 at 4:10:49 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Dieter

(Which is fine, but sometimes I look forward to.eating my own leftovers.)
link to original post



I always 100% of the time look forward to leftovers. Tonight I'm having those Chinese green beans I made the other night that I posted a picture of and they will be three times better because they've been sitting for a couple days.
link to original post



This is an unfortunate price one pays for living with wife and children.
I am eager to be declared cured enough to get back on the road.
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28190
September 26th, 2023 at 6:08:50 PM permalink
Sauteed salmon patties tonight with the Chinese green beans from the other day.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Gialmere
Gialmere
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
  • Threads: 44
  • Posts: 2811
September 26th, 2023 at 6:27:10 PM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #8 (Answers)


Egg McMuffin

If you were around in the 70s you probably remember. Eh? A burger joint selling breakfast? That's crazy.

Just so. In 1972 (then) McDonald's President Ray Kroc was asked by his assistant to meet a franchise owner who had an idea that was ... crazy. Kroc was shown a breakfast sandwich that not only tasted good but would easily fit into the McDonald's menu price range. It would revolutionize the fast food industry, at least during the morning commute. Flash forward to today and you'd be hard pressed to find any fast food joint that doesn't open early to sell coffee and breakfast items to customers on the go.


Denver (Western) Omelette

The Denver omelette is one of those culinary mysteries. No one knows where it came from or even why it's called Denver. The city has a plaque stating that pioneers heading west used the now famous ingredients to mask the taste of rotten eggs on the trail. Food historians disagree noting that rotten eggs taste terrible no matter what you add to them, and also that bell peppers were not even available in Denver until the 20th century.

The historians have two theories. The first is that cowboys would put eggs with other available ingredients between pieces of bread to make a meal that could be eaten in the saddle during cattle drives (perhaps to Denver). The other is that Chinese immigrants in California would use bread pieces to hold egg foo young (again, egg filled with available stuff) while they worked the goldfields or on the railroad. Eventually the meal ended up in restaurants where the bread pieces were no longer needed leaving only the eggs and filling behind.

Note that cheese is not an official ingredient but is so common with the dish--either melted inside or sprinkled on top--that it might as well join the trilogy of ham, onions and bell peppers. The dish is usually served with potatoes (such as hash browns) but that's hardly unusual for a breakfast entree.


Nougat

In Europe, nougat is typically sold as its own confection, usually mixed with nuts and coming in different flavors and colors. U.S. candy makers, however, saw nougat as a way to make a big candy bar without the expense of having it solid chocolate. The 3 Musketeers bar, for example, has what's called fluffy nougat as its star ingredient.

Although I was going for nougat, if you answered meringue you are also correct, and I did find a few Euro candy bars featuring the ingredient. What's the difference? In terms of a home kitchen, only ratios. Nougat has significantly more sugar added to the egg white making it thicker and slightly chewy. If you ever try candy making at home, consider adding unflavored gelatin to your nougat mix. It stabilizes the confection so that it holds its desired shape better.


Egg Nog

Egg nog is certainly an odd drink. It's been described as a sort of alcoholic custard and few people will admit to liking it. That said, Americans buy over 50 million bottles of nog every holiday season so someone must enjoy it. While brandy is the most traditional alcohol to pair with it, rum, cognac, and bourbon all have their fans.

With a blender, it's easy to make your own egg nog at home. Don't be afraid to experiment. Who knows? Maybe you'll create the next hipster holiday drink.


Pico de gallo

As its name suggests, huevos rancheros is a hearty rural breakfast. It began as a favorite meal for ranch and farm hands with busy workdays ahead of them. These days it's favored by palates who enjoy a little spice with their morning meals.

Of course, new generations of chefs have brought new ideas to the dish including variations that don't use Pico de gallo at all. If you're at a trendy restaurant looking for the traditional Pico de gallo version, read your menu carefully to see what you're actually getting.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.

  • Jump to: