Thread Rating:

Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
August 31st, 2023 at 2:19:46 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Yesterday, I had the best pizza I've had in years.

Next time I'm in Phoenix, I intend to try Pizzeria Bianco. Saw it on Netflix, where a food critic rated it the best in America.

'Pizzeria Bianco has been rated as the best pizza in the United States by Bon Appétit,[16] Vogue,[5] Rachael Ray,[17] and Andrew Zimmern,[18][19] and has also been recognized by Martha Stewart,[2] Oprah Winfrey,[10] GQ,[20] and Gourmet[12] In 2003, Chris Bianco won the James Beard Foundation Award for best Southwest Chef (the only pizza chef to have won a regional award)[21] and the restaurant received a nearly perfect Zagat score of 29 in 2000.[5] Pizzeria Bianco was featured in Peter Reinhart's book American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza' - Wikipedia
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 31st, 2023 at 4:43:51 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Quote: billryan

Yesterday, I had the best pizza I've had in years.

Next time I'm in Phoenix, I intend to try Pizzeria Bianco. Saw it on Netflix, where a food critic rated it the best in America.

'Pizzeria Bianco has been rated as the best pizza in the United States by Bon Appétit,[16] Vogue,[5] Rachael Ray,[17] and Andrew Zimmern,[18][19] and has also been recognized by Martha Stewart,[2] Oprah Winfrey,[10] GQ,[20] and Gourmet[12] In 2003, Chris Bianco won the James Beard Foundation Award for best Southwest Chef (the only pizza chef to have won a regional award)[21] and the restaurant received a nearly perfect Zagat score of 29 in 2000.[5] Pizzeria Bianco was featured in Peter Reinhart's book American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza' - Wikipedia
link to original post

Be prepared to wait around a few hours. I've never had it, and I don't think any meal is worth standing around for.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
August 31st, 2023 at 10:20:26 AM permalink
Niki’s pizza in austin texas tastes authentic to me. I dont have to go far.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 31st, 2023 at 2:02:28 PM permalink
I had about four potato chips and three pieces of beef jerky. I finished them both so that is the only reason that I didn't eat more.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
August 31st, 2023 at 2:19:46 PM permalink
Hand-breaded shrimp, cottage fries, and a six-ounce hanger steak for lunch.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 31st, 2023 at 2:55:08 PM permalink
Quote for the eat thread.

Quote:

You can’t outrun your fork: nutrition is 90% of the battle

(Copped from nerd fitness)

Sounds about right.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
September 4th, 2023 at 9:19:39 AM permalink
Happy Labor Day!

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #5

Identify the grocery product by its slogan.

1) 'Oh yeah!'

2) 'The snack that smiles back'

3) 'Good to the last drop'

4) 'The other white meat'

5) 'Obey your thirst'

6) 'Betcha can't eat just one'

7) 'Unleash the beast'

No searching please.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
Thanked by
Gialmere
September 4th, 2023 at 9:30:03 AM permalink

Not as sure of 2 and 7 as the others...

1. Kool-Aid

2. Goldfish crackers

3. Maxwell House coffee

4. Pork

5. Gatorade

6. Lay's potato chips

7. Mountain Dew

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
OnceDear
September 4th, 2023 at 11:33:27 AM permalink
This is the last of the plant-based hamburger and I'm going to kind of miss it. It was really good every bit as good as real ground beef. But at $9 a pound I don't think so. Had some turnip fries which I like even better than potato fries.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 4th, 2023 at 12:49:19 PM permalink
Started off with a ham/egg/cheese on a toasted whole wheat bolillo roll (light butter, no sauce). Very nice; the whole wheat roll takes a bit of charring without tasting burnt.

The new meds very effectively cut the appetite for food.

Now I'm downstairs in the man cave bar (which we are calling a rathskeller), snacking very lightly on pretzels, (a bit less lightly on celery sticks), and downing the closest thing to a 7&7 I can muster, which substitutes bottled in bond bourbon for the 7 Crown.

It's going to be noisy and crowded with the old women of Ashly's family visiting. Supposedly those with need have hearing augments, but there's an awful lot of shouting at grandmothers, and nobody seems to want to turn down the volume on John Denver's Greatest Hits CD.

edit: Ashly's sister just showed up, and she seems much less objectionable than usual. I think the liquor is working.
Last edited by: Dieter on Sep 4, 2023
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
September 4th, 2023 at 3:48:39 PM permalink
I had a simple dinner of Zatarain's Dirty Rice with a grilled Kielbasa slice up into it. A perfectly basic meal that works for me.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
September 4th, 2023 at 4:07:12 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

This is the last of the plant-based hamburger and I'm going to kind of miss it. It was really good every bit as good as real ground beef. But at $9 a pound I don't think so. Had some turnip fries which I like even better than potato fries.

link to original post

Not enough bread. White bread should be eaten abundantly according to American Dietary Guidelines
It’s all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 4th, 2023 at 4:32:04 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

Not enough bread. White bread should be eaten abundantly according to American Dietary Guidelines
link to original post

You go ahead and load up on that Wonder Bread, I haven't had white bread probably since the 90s and then it was an accident. When I lived in California I used to buy whole wheat flour by the 100 lb sack and I made all my own bread. Even my own hot dog when hamburger buns. I marvel at it now wondering when did I ever have the time but it sure was good. The bread on these sandwiches has 1/3 the calories of a regular slice of bread in 1/20th the carbs. It also cost 3.5 times more per loaf than a regular loaf of bread.
Gialmere
Gialmere
September 6th, 2023 at 10:27:25 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #5 Answers

Identify the grocery product by its slogan.

Kool-Aid

The Kool-Aid Man has been busting through the walls of children's homes for around 70 years. Hastings Nebraska, where the drink was invented, has an annual Kool-Aid festival. Meanwhile, no one has heard much from the Guyana Kool-Aid festival for quite sometime now.

Goldfish

In 1958 the Goldfish cracker was invented by a Swiss baker to celebrate his wife. She was a Pisces. Pepperidge Farm introduced the unusual cracker to the U.S. four years later. How much time parents of young children spend cleaning Goldfish off the floorboards of their cars is unknown.

Maxwell House

For almost 100 years Maxwell House was the top selling coffee in America. However, like many other old school brands, the company was caught completely flat-footed by the gourmet coffee craze of the last several decades. Today, Maxwell House barely breaks the top ten coffee sellers list with a mere $20 million in annual revenue. By contrast, Folgers takes in $200 million. And Starbucks? $23 billion!

Pork

The National Pork Board's slogan, "Pork: the other white meat," tried to capitalize on how much people love chicken. That said, pork is a red meat, according to the USDA.

Sprite

Sprite was developed in West Germany in 1959 as Fanta Klare Zitrone. The formula was purchased by the Coca-Cola company to compete against 7 Up.

In 2022, Sprite replaced its signature green bottles with clear ones. It seems the chemical that created the green color made the plastic unsuitable for recycling.

Lays Potato Chips

The slogan is obviously a riff of the saying that "something" is like a potato chip: you can't stop with just one. That's certainly true in the case of Frito-Lay customers as the company controls 59% of the U.S. snack-food market.

Monster Energy Drink

As of 2022, Monster Energy had a 30.1% share of the American energy drink market, the second highest after Red Bull. Monster cleverly targets young adults with its advertising particularly at the extreme sports events where I assume a product that makes you fully awake and alert is a good selling point.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
September 7th, 2023 at 2:04:23 AM permalink
imo Starbucks is one of the most overrated businesses of all time

people walking around with their Starbucks cups
ooh-ooh-ooh - "I just have to have my Starbucks"- ooh -ooh -ooh
Please don't feed the trolls
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 7th, 2023 at 2:33:17 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

That Starbucks is so successful was a puzzling thing to me for the longest time. Because the idea of having a 'coffee shop' was about the oldest in the world. There were plenty out there before Starbucks.

I finally decided that what Starbucks had going for it was the belief the American public was ready for coffee drinks that came from how people drink coffee in the rest of the world and really pushed that ... perhaps pushed it before it really took off?

I guess someone might reply, "no, there were a lot of other coffee shops all over the place with all the varieties of coffee drinks you see now, you got the wrong impression." All I know is that, for me, these drinks were new. I think I was aware of espressos and cappuccinos you could get at some Italian restaurants before Starbucks was big, but it seemed like few ordered them.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
September 7th, 2023 at 2:56:40 AM permalink

link to original post

I probably have Starbucks once or twice a year. I find their coffee to be better than most, but their business strategy has been brilliant.Let's face it, they are targeting people that can afford to pay $7 for a coffee and many are daily drinkers. They have marketed themselves as the upscale place to get coffee and Americans are rich and have disposable income.
Gialmere
Gialmere
September 7th, 2023 at 7:15:44 AM permalink
I'm trying to remember the last time I had a cup of Hills Brothers coffee, but can't. In fact, I no longer see it on store shelves. Buried amongst the Starbucks, Peet's, Keurig Green Mountain and McCafe, I can still spot Maxwell House, Yuban and, of course, Folgers, but that's about it for old school.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 7th, 2023 at 7:33:17 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

I'm trying to remember the last time I had a cup of Hills Brothers coffee, but can't. In fact, I no longer see it on store shelves. Buried amongst the Starbucks, Peet's, Keurig Green Mountain and McCafe, I can still spot Maxwell House, Yuban and, of course, Folgers, but that's about it for old school.
link to original post

I still see 8 O'Clock, just down from the Dunkin' and Bustelo. Rumor has it that Stewarts and Chock Full O'Nuts can still be found.

I don't recall seeing Sanka in ages.
DRich
DRich
September 7th, 2023 at 7:42:53 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

I still see 8 O'Clock, just down from the Dunkin' and Bustelo. Rumor has it that Stewarts and Chock Full O'Nuts can still be found.

link to original post

I only remember Sanka as an instant coffee. Did they also sell grounds to be brewed?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 7th, 2023 at 7:57:59 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

I only remember Sanka as an instant coffee. Did they also sell grounds to be brewed?
link to original post

I believe that instant convenience was a byproduct of Sanka's decaffeination process, which predated the "Swiss water" decaffeination process used for whole bean coffee.
I could be getting my timelines mumbled up.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
September 7th, 2023 at 8:36:51 AM permalink
I used to brew my coffee in the a.m.
I switched to Folgers instant
the brewed I used to make was better - but not by all that much - and the instant is so much easier
I rate this instant very high
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
September 7th, 2023 at 8:46:30 AM permalink

I used to brew my coffee in the a.m.
I switched to Folgers instant
the brewed I used to make was better - but not by all that much - and the instant is so much easier
I rate this instant very high
link to original post

That is why the Keurig style machines became so popular. You get a fresh brewed cup in 3 minutes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 7th, 2023 at 5:11:26 PM permalink
Fried eggplant and zucchini with pan fried wild caught catfish. This is one of those meals that is so good that I'm still thinking about it 3 hours later. Absolutely healthy, I used two tablespoons of olive oil and most of the oil was still in the pan when I was done. Used an egg wash on the vegetables.

EvenBob
EvenBob
September 9th, 2023 at 6:15:44 PM permalink
Back to ground beef hamburgers this time it's a cheddar cheese burger with fresh red raspberries. Oh no you say, raspberries on a hamburger? You bet, look it up. Putting sweet stuff on a hamburger has been popular for decades. Slices of pineapple, slices of apple, and yes there are red raspberry hamburger recipes. It was incredibly delicious I don't know why I have not been doing this for years.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 9th, 2023 at 7:26:03 PM permalink
For those less inclined to cookery, I believe I've heard something about smearing grape jelly on a drive-through double cheeseburger.

I think I would find the raspberry seeds offputting.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 9th, 2023 at 8:18:34 PM permalink

For those less inclined to cookery, I believe I've heard something about smearing grape jelly on a drive-through double cheeseburger.

I think I would find the raspberry seeds offputting.
link to original post

There are different kinds of raspberries, some have bigger seeds than others. The ones I used had no detectable seeds at all. It's not unusual to use something like raspberry jam on a cheeseburger. Or any kind of jelly or jam
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
September 9th, 2023 at 9:51:41 PM permalink
All the fast food sauces are loaded with high fructose corn syrup

Most BBQ sauces are very high sugar

Adding sugar to fast food meat is not a new concept. Same goes for adding bread, cheese, and mayonnaise (or whatever that white stuff is in the photo)

On the other hand, Quality meat prepared properly only needs a bit of salt.
Last edited by: Ace2 on Sep 10, 2023
It’s all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
September 10th, 2023 at 4:31:02 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

All the fast food sauces are loaded with high fructose corn syrup

Most BBQ sauces are very high sugar

Adding sugar to fast food meat is not a new concept. Same goes for adding bread, cheese, and mayonnaise (or whatever that white stuff is in the photo)

On the other hand, Quality meat prepared properly only needs a bit of salt.
link to original post

I avoid sauces completely.

No ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, ranch, bleu cheese, BBQ, etc. My thought is why cover up the taste of the meat.

Edit: I will eat spaghetti sauce
Gialmere
Gialmere
September 13th, 2023 at 7:00:14 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #6

1) "Manure" on a Shingle (aka SOS) is a military dish consisting of what on toast?

2) Popular for a barbeque or Jewish celebration, what type of meat is cut from the lower breast of a cow?

3) Prepared since the imperial era, what Chinese dish is served with a a meat characterized by thin, crisp skin often eaten with spring onion, cucumber, hoisin sauce and pancakes?

4) Around what rate of speed does a champagne cork shoot out of the bottle?

a) 25mph
b) 50mph
c) 75mph
d) 100mph

5) If you're comparing Scotts, Vigoro, and Schultz in an aisle, you're almost certainly looking to buy what critical agricultural "ingredient" that is considered a crucial component of conventional food systems?

No searching please.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Gialmere
September 13th, 2023 at 7:18:34 AM permalink

1) "Manure" on a Shingle (aka SOS) is a military dish consisting of what on toast?

2) Popular for a barbeque or Jewish celebration, what type of meat is cut from the lower breast of a cow?

3) Prepared since the imperial era, what Chinese dish is served with a a meat characterized by thin, crisp skin often eaten with spring onion, cucumber, hoisin sauce and pancakes?

a) 25mph
b) 50mph
c) 75mph
d) 100mph

5) If you're comparing Scotts, Vigoro, and Schultz in an aisle, you're almost certainly looking to buy what critical agricultural "ingredient" that is considered a crucial component of conventional food systems?

No searching please.

I only don't know #4.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Gialmere
September 13th, 2023 at 7:20:02 AM permalink

She said she didn't know any of them, but guessed 75mph on the cork.
(She calls herself a 'foodie'. I have my suspicions.)
billryan
billryan
September 13th, 2023 at 8:09:17 AM permalink
I try and look at the overall picture.
When I see someone claim they can defy math, I am skeptical.
When that person claims he loves a food product but won't spring for it ,as it it is almost five dollars a meal, my position advances to being dubious.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Gialmere
September 13th, 2023 at 9:04:16 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #6

a) 25mph
b) 50mph
c) 75mph
d) 100mph

No searching please.
link to original post

1. Chipped beef
2. Brisket
3. and 4. No idea.
5. LOL< Grass seed?> Hard question for those who live in Nevada.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Gialmere
Gialmere
September 13th, 2023 at 7:24:44 PM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #6 Answers

Creamed Chipped Beef

"Manure" on a shingle first appeared in a 1910 army manual for cooks. It was a simple, hot meal that could be made in the field that was both filling and tasted decent. I'm sure they exist, but I've never met a soldier or sailor that doesn't remember eating SOS with fondness.

Brisket

Not having collar bones, the breast muscles support about 60% of the body weight of standing or moving cattle. This makes brisket a tough cut of meat. Properly slow cooked, however, and you end up with a dish that practically melts in your mouth.

Coming from the front end of the cow makes brisket kosher (assuming the the cow was killed correctly). You'll never find something like a rump roast or even sirloin in a Jewish market.

Peking Duck

Peking Duck is the meat of the American Pekin. The ancient Chinese were sophisticated breeders of ducks; among several breeds they created was one named shi-chin-ya-tze, which roughly translates to "ten-pound duck", from which the American Pekin derives.

A Connecticut entrepreneur brought 15 of these ducks to the US in 1872. Only four of the birds survived the trip but the remaining drake and three hens produced 300 eggs, and just like that, the breed was established. It's quite possible that the last time you ate Peking Duck in a Chinese restaurant the bird was a distant descendant of those four ducks.

50 mph (partial credit for 25 mph)

At a speed 50 miles per hour a champagne cork can obviously do some damage to household breakables, not to mention the human face. This is why it's recommended you always keep one hand on the cork after the cage is removed.

Scientists looking into the matter think that, under ideal conditions, a cork could reach a speed of 62 mph. For greater speeds, the pressure required would cause an ordinary champagne bottle to explode.

Fertilizer

Not all "manure" ends up on a shingle. Some of it is used to help feed the world. It's one of those circle of life sort of things.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 16th, 2023 at 6:05:10 AM permalink

A bowl of rice topped with an oeuf cocotte, some radish kimchi, and 3 smoked brislings.

The egg fell apart when I was removing it, which tells me I didn't quite butter the bottom of the custard dish enough, and maybe that traditional sprinkling of herbs is for practical reasons.

This may not be what the dietitians intended by recommending oily fish for health purposes, but today it was good for the soul.
DRich
DRich
September 16th, 2023 at 6:33:12 AM permalink
I had eight mini corn dogs yesterday supplemented by my Slim-Fast shake for breakfast.

EvenBob
EvenBob
September 16th, 2023 at 7:46:33 AM permalink

I had eight mini corn dogs yesterday supplemented by my Slim-Fast shake for breakfast.

link to original post

Only eight? Sure you did..
DRich
DRich
September 16th, 2023 at 8:31:37 AM permalink

Eight is enough for me. I am not a big eater.

I did buy 50 pieces of Fried chicken from Publix.
Gialmere
Gialmere
September 18th, 2023 at 7:00:31 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #7 (TV Edition)

1) What company essentially revolutionized home cooking when it introduced the famous "TV Dinner" in 1953?

2) In various TV commercials, for what type of candy does a character named Mr. Owl return a used candy stick to a young boy?

3) Ernie, Elmer, Buckets, Ma, and Doc are just some of the fantasy characters who help advertise the sweet treats of what food brand?

4) Although he doesn't always drink beer, when he does, the most interesting man in the world drinks what brand?

5) Appearing in autumn, what Food Network competition show features guest judges such as Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark, and "Goosebumps" author R. L. Stine?

No searching please.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
September 18th, 2023 at 7:47:03 AM permalink

Eight is enough for me. I am not a big eater.

I did buy 50 pieces of Fried chicken from Publix.
link to original post

ugh lot of fried food but whatever you like
DRich
DRich
September 18th, 2023 at 8:12:24 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

For a grocery store they really do have good fried chicken. It was on sale for $32 for 50 pieces so I bought it and froze a lot of it.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Gialmere
September 18th, 2023 at 8:40:11 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #7 (TV Edition)

1) What company essentially revolutionized home cooking when it introduced the famous "TV Dinner" in 1953?

2) In various TV commercials, for what type of candy does a character named Mr. Owl return a used candy stick to a young boy?

3) Ernie, Elmer, Buckets, Ma, and Doc are just some of the fantasy characters who help advertise the sweet treats of what food brand?

4) Although he doesn't always drink beer, when he does, the most interesting man in the world drinks what brand?

5) Appearing in autumn, what Food Network competition show features guest judges such as Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark, and "Goosebumps" author R. L. Stine?

No searching please.
link to original post

4. The beer was Dos Equis. The actor who played "The Most Interesting Man in the world" has said in interviews that, when he was younger, he made a living for a while as a gigolo -a male prostituite - for women, mostly older women. Which perhaps makes him more interesting than most of us.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 18th, 2023 at 10:24:10 AM permalink

For a grocery store they really do have good fried chicken. It was on sale for $32 for 50 pieces so I bought it and froze a lot of it.
link to original post

That's actually not a bad deal too bad fried chicken is not on my menu.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Gialmere
September 18th, 2023 at 1:57:51 PM permalink
Ashly missed 'em all. Again.

Interestingly, I happen to have a box in the fridge downstairs.

billryan
billryan
September 18th, 2023 at 2:31:18 PM permalink
Canned ravioli for lunch. I'm cleaning out the last of my covid emergency stash. Added some Prego sauce and a whole lot of parmesan cheese and it was almost good. It was better than I'd expected but I don't see myself buying it again.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
September 18th, 2023 at 2:40:31 PM permalink

link to original post

that is an incredible deal for sure. The union grocery store charges around $9 for and 8 pice regular price. I just try to not eat much fried food and 8 mini corn dogs and all that fried chicken was not a good picture. That is why I said to each their own. Doing things in moderation is a good idea for sure
DRich
DRich
September 18th, 2023 at 3:38:09 PM permalink

that is an incredible deal for sure. The union grocery store charges around $9 for and 8 pice regular price. I just try to not eat much fried food and 8 mini corn dogs and all that fried chicken was not a good picture. That is why I said to each their own. Doing things in moderation is a good idea for sure

Moderation is probably good for those looking for longevity, I am not one of them.

I don't think I would flinch one bit if they told me that I only had six months to live. I was supposed to be dead in 1980 so I have already beaten the odds.
Gialmere
Gialmere
September 19th, 2023 at 10:03:15 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #7 (Answers)

Swanson

Frozen meals we're around before Swanson entered the field. Most notably they were used by airlines for feeding passengers during long flights. What Swanson did through clever advertising was to make frozen food seem trendy, modern, a convenience for the busy family.

The company sold $1 million dinners in 1953. Within three years they were selling $12 million. In the early 60s they added a dessert to the tray. In the late 60s they introduced frozen breakfasts. In the 70s they released the larger "Hungry Man" line of meals. The 80s brought the microwavable frozen meal.

Despite Swanson's success and innovation, with such stiff competition in the frozen food industry, these days your local store may or may not even carry the brand.

Tootsie Pop

Here's a brilliant ad campaign that had kids of all ages buying Tootsie Pops and counting their licks. Even university studies were conducted--complete with licking machines--to search for the answer. Talk about free publicity!

Results varied, ranging from 70 to 411 licks. Detailed examination of the lollipops indicates that the minimum candy shell thickness is rarely (if ever) located along the equator.

Around 20 million Tootsie Pops are produced every day.

Keebler

The Keebler elves first appeared in 1968 and quickly became some of the best known characters on TV. Each elf was in charge of a different aspect of the cookie making process.

The thought of elves baking cookies inside a large, hollow tree just seemed to capture the pop culture's imagination. The Keebler elves are often referenced in other Hollywood productions such as the film "Elf" (2003) and "The Big Bang Theory" TV show.

Dos Equis.

Starting in 2006, this ad campaign was so successful it continued for 12 years. At a time when imported beer sales were dropping, Dos Equis increased sales by 22%.

When actor Jonathan Goldsmith finally retired from the role, the most interesting man in the world was sent off to Mars with the narrator intoning, "His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like." And, of course, the character lives on as a popular Internet meme.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Halloween Wars

Halloween Wars premiered on October 2, 2011. The show pits teams made up of cake sculptors, sugar artists, and pumpkin carvers against each other to produce the ultimate Halloween themed display. For foodies it has became an annual event and averages about 1 million viewers per episode. Impressive for a cooking competition.

It got into trouble the last few years when they dropped the pumpkin carvers (presumably to reduce the number of people on set due to COVID-19) and removed live host Jonathon Bennett in favor of voice narration by Zak Bagans from Ghost Adventures. Fan backlash was immediate, and if you think Star Wars and Star Trek fans can be brutal, try having an army of angry moms giving you a piece of their minds.

This year, however, the pumpkin carvers and Bennett are back so maybe it will be a happy Halloween.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 19th, 2023 at 1:25:31 PM permalink
Wife is making chicken avgolemono soup. Enough for a dozen or so of my WoV friends to share. The house smells great. Started with 96 ounces of chicken broth. Lots of onions, carrots, garlic, pasta, chicken breast, and of course, lemon juice. Ready in about an hour. She found a recipe that did not use egg yolk.
  • Jump to: