• Threads: 16
Thanked by
rawtuff
August 23rd, 2023 at 12:39:11 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Dieter

Quote: itsmejeff

Quote: Dieter

Breakfast was some oatmeal. I'm disinclined to soak oats overnight, too hurried to cook "slow" oats in the morning, and appreciate texture too much to subject myself to instant - so quick ("1 minute") oats it is.
They take a bit longer than a minute.
A scant dash of salt in the pan, and a hefty dose of ground cinnamon in the bowl. There are rumors cinnamon helps with blood sugar, but I probably just enjoy angling for sympathy by telling people I ate some crushed seeds and tree bark for breakfast.

Oatmeal is a processed food and does not need to be cooked. You can eat it raw or simply mix it into a smoothie.
I would not recommend this for steel cut oatmeal though. That is best cooked overnight in a slow cooker on warm or low for 6-8 hours.
link to original post

The oatmeal may not strictly need to be cooked, but I think I strongly prefer it to be cooked. I'm experimenting with technique refinements that might make the oatmeal preparation easier when I resume travel. (Overnight is a no-go for my particular tastes.)

Tangentially, the tweenage invaders saw me raiding the fridge last night for a few pieces of leftover sushi, finished off all that was left, and are eagerly snoring with anticipation until they get to have a turn. Pickled carrots are ready; surimi is thawing; I'll cook up a batch of rice a bit later.
link to original post

If you got your kids to eat sushi you are better than me. The only thing my kids would eat when they were that age was pizza, Mac cheese, McDonald's, and Pop-Tarts. They would have starved themselves rather than take one bite of sushi. And as adults they aren't much better, they are very boring eaters.
link to original post

They like the corndogs and canned spaghetti-ooze, too. ;)
I'm in no mood to spend all day simmering chicken feet in broth (Ashly does that nonsense) just so they can have 8 minutes of joy sucking the anise-scented cartilege from between the knuckles, but basic sushi... ok.

For the interested, there are a number of Youtube tutorial videos for "canned tuna sushi", some more profane than others. The quality is generally better than that awful frozen sushi I had in a South Dakota gas station.

Pick out a nice jar of gari (pickled ginger) and a decent (brewed, not caramel-coloured) bottle of light soy sauce (usukuchi) if that sort of thing excites you.
It won't help. Surimi and canned tuna don't benefit from high quality horseradish the same way that a slice of sashimi, its surface a glimmering rainbow of delicate oils, perfectly textured from being sliced by a knife that costs more than a decent laptop, would.
But hey, You do you.

If you're not fussy about top grade seafood, exquisitely prepared, and perfectly neat rolls for presentation, it's quite enjoyable.

The thing that seems to be missing from the youtube tutorials is "how thick to layer the rice on the nori?" My suggestion is to aim for 1 or 2 grains of rice thick as a starting point.

The little one didn't want sushi yesterday. PB&J run through the dino shaped crust-cutter-offer, so she could rudely jam the crusts into my face and gleefully laugh about how the dino heads were the tastiest part of the sandwich (and I could not have them).
Enjoying the silver lining, even within this ominous cloud of heart surgery.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 23rd, 2023 at 1:01:23 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I did add some garlic croutons the first time I had it. I was surprised that it included Velveeta.

I grew up in the Mdwest where Velveeta is cheese.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
August 24th, 2023 at 9:20:22 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #3

1) For what food is the Scoville scale used to measure spiciness?

2) What is the typical cheese that is part of a caprese salad?

3) What British chocolate company produces creme-filled chocolate eggs known for simulating the texture and appearance of a soft-boiled chicken’s egg?

4) Used as either a bittering, flavoring, or stability agent for beer, the plant Humulus lupulus is better known by what name?

5) What larger variant of the "sweet" banana is frequently used for cooking?
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Gialmere
August 24th, 2023 at 10:56:19 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #3

1) For what food is the Scoville scale used to measure spiciness?

2) What is the typical cheese that is part of a caprese salad?

3) What British chocolate company produces creme-filled chocolate eggs known for simulating the texture and appearance of a soft-boiled chicken’s egg?

4) Used as either a bittering, flavoring, or stability agent for beer, the plant Humulus lupulus is better known by what name?

5) What larger variant of the "sweet" banana is frequently used for cooking?

link to original post

1. Peppers

2. Mozzarella

3. Cadbury

4. Hops

5. Plantain

I would have had to guess on #2.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 24th, 2023 at 11:33:32 AM permalink
Yesterday, I had the best pizza I've had in years. There were a few very good places in Las Vegas, but this was better than any of them.
It was recommended to me by a fellow NY exile, and I was pretty skeptical.
It's about thirty minutes outside Ruidoso, New Mexico, but the owner asked me not to name it publicly. When I gushed over her food, she asked me not to when I said I would write rave reviews. Her husband is 73, and she is 67, and they can't keep any help, so they aren't looking for publicity. I had a dozen meatballs to go, and they made great snacks on the drive through central New Mexico and Arizona.
The area got hit with the remnants of a tropical storm, so camping was out. Maybe next week.
I got to the Apache Reservations late, and all the fry bread sellers had closed up shop, so I settled for some street tacos from a truck near Safford. Five minutes later, I started seeing Burma Shave-type ads for a cute 1950s-style drive-in about thirty miles away. Even though I'd just eaten, I wanted to stop by and would have, but it was very crowded.
It was like stepping back in time as a high school event had just ended and kids, in their Varsity jackets and cheering uniforms, milled around the place, and a bunch of low riders cruised the three-block stretch they call a town. Highway 70 is not as spectacular as some of its sister state roads, but still full of historic stops, curiosities, and roadside attractions. One hamlet has a nice billboard with photos of the community on active duty and congratulating a kid for completing boot camp.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 24th, 2023 at 5:00:55 PM permalink
Pan fried eggplant, with pan fried catfish topped with Parmesan cheese asparagus. This was really good and the best part was using bread on the leftover juices in the pan. Real concentration of flavor.. I didn't just put parm cheese on top of the asparagus I cooked it with the asparagus so it melted.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Gialmere
Gialmere
August 24th, 2023 at 5:55:02 PM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #3 Answers

Chile Peppers

You may have heard of the famous Ghost Pepper which held the world heat record for many years. Such is the pepper competition these days that it now doesn't even crack the top ten. The current world record holder is the Carolina Reaper with more than double the heat units (on the Scoville Scale) as the Ghost. The Reaper essentially has the same intensity as weapons grade pepper spray.

Mozzarella

The caprese salad is named after the island of Capri, where it is believed to have originated. With its green basil leaves, white mozzarella and red tomatoes, some food historians think its creation was an homage to the Italian flag.

Cadbury

Creme Eggs are available annually between 1 January and Easter Sunday. A YouGov poll saw the Creme Egg ranked as the most famous confectionery in the UK. In the United States, Cadbury Eggs are produced by Hershey's.

Hops

I confess, when the talk here turns to hop bets at the craps table, I get a sudden Pavlovian desire to crack open a beer.

Plantain

Plantains are a staple food in the developing countries of the tropics. They are rich in nutrients and can be grown all year long. Back here in the States, plantain lovers are those people who always seem to want to eat at that Cuban restaurant in town.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 24th, 2023 at 7:28:03 PM permalink
Those I thought were 5 easy questions.

Dinner tonight was aps at a bar for a reunion from my first job in Buffalo 33 years ago. I had one strong stout (7.5%ABV). And the two aps were ‘tater tot poutine’ and some cheesy sausage spicy dip. Not my healthiest meal of the year. Or week. Or day….

The tater tot poutine included tater tots slathered in a rich brown gravy with some chunks of beef and the cheese curds. It needed bacon.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 25th, 2023 at 6:52:32 PM permalink
Pan fried pork chop with mashed potato turnips and homemade gravy. The Blue Plate special in diners for decades.

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 26th, 2023 at 7:45:54 PM permalink
Two burgers with cheese, avocado, tomato, red onion. Fried potato turnips with onions and greens and it's the only thing I use ketchup on.

avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
August 27th, 2023 at 12:38:38 AM permalink

Two burgers with cheese, avocado, tomato, red onion. Fried potato turnips with onions and greens and it's the only thing I use ketchup on.

link to original post

are you still eating the veggie burgers or are they gone now?
DRich
DRich
August 27th, 2023 at 5:08:45 AM permalink

The tater tot poutine included tater tots slathered in a rich brown gravy with some chunks of beef and the cheese curds. It needed bacon.

That sounds wonderful and probably one of the healthier things that I eat.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2023 at 9:06:07 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

link to original post

are you still eating the veggie burgers or are they gone now?
link to original post

Veggie, two more to go and I'm done with it. Tastes good though
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2023 at 9:07:58 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

That sounds wonderful and probably one of the healthier things that I eat.
link to original post

Yeah poutines, aren't they on the food pyramid right at the bottom where the grave digger is digging a new grave? What could be healthier than cheese, gravy, and fried potatoes.
billryan
billryan
August 27th, 2023 at 9:39:46 AM permalink
The food pyramid?
That's a blast from the past. A geezer from the freezer, as they used to say.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
August 27th, 2023 at 10:31:03 AM permalink
Two days for the price of one:

Yesterday: a bowl of cereal (Raisin Bran Crunch), a homemade bagel dog (Nathan's 1/4-lb), and for dinner, 1/2 lb of spaghetti with about 3/4 lb of meatballs. Throw in a cranberry orange scone for dessert.

Today: some frozen sausages stuffed with cheddar cheese, two 1/3-lb bacon cheeseburgers with corn on the cob, and a 14-oz top sirloin steak.

(Tomorrow will probably be a Costco protein bar with coffee for breakfast, a cup of yogurt for lunch, and 1/4 of a Pizza Hit "New Yorker" pizza that I have in my freezer for dinner.)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 27th, 2023 at 11:00:53 AM permalink
(never mentions the secret ingredient: and a pinch of cat hair)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
August 27th, 2023 at 11:58:39 AM permalink
I'm in Tucson for a two-day symposium, and they served brisket at the opening party. I've never been a big fan of beef brisket, but now I realize I've never had a good brisket. This stuff was to die for, and I'm afraid I went way overboard. Luckily, most people gravitated to the shrimp tacos and ceviche. I brought a huge plate back to my room, but this morning we had a champagne brunch, with a BBQ/Beer Bust at 3PM.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2023 at 12:53:00 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm in Tucson for a two-day symposium, and they served brisket at the opening party. I've never been a big fan of beef brisket, but now I realize I've never had a good brisket. This stuff was to die for, and I'm afraid I went way overboard. Luckily, most people gravitated to the shrimp tacos and ceviche. I brought a huge plate back to my room, but this morning we had a champagne brunch, with a BBQ/Beer Bust at 3PM.
link to original post

I don't know why you would have a weight problem that you talk about sometimes. It's a mystery.. I have a weight problem too, but not right now because I'm only eating 12 to 1400 calories a day. And yes I had two burgers yesterday but those were veggie burgers which are half the calories of beef burgers and taste just as good but are twice as expensive. And yes properly cooked brisket with melt in your mouth because of the high fat content, eat enough of it and it will shoot right to your waistline like it's on steroids.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 27th, 2023 at 3:01:00 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Two days for the price of one:

Yesterday: a bowl of cereal (Raisin Bran Crunch), a homemade bagel dog (Nathan's 1/4-lb), and for dinner, 1/2 lb of spaghetti with about 3/4 lb of meatballs. Throw in a cranberry orange scone for dessert.

Today: some frozen sausages stuffed with cheddar cheese, two 1/3-lb bacon cheeseburgers with corn on the cob, and a 14-oz top sirloin steak.

(Tomorrow will probably be a Costco protein bar with coffee for breakfast, a cup of yogurt for lunch, and 1/4 of a Pizza Hit "New Yorker" pizza that I have in my freezer for dinner.)
link to original post

See, now that is eating healthy.

tuttigym
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2023 at 3:08:34 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

Actually cats have the enzymes in their stomach that let them digest cat hair that they lick off themselves.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2023 at 4:19:58 PM permalink
Fried egg sandwich with turkey sausage, onion, avocado, fresh spinach and mayo. The very first thing I learned how to cook when I was 7 years old was a fried egg sandwich I still love the things.

rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
odiousgambit
August 27th, 2023 at 4:25:17 PM permalink

link to original post

Actually cats have the enzymes in their stomach that let them digest cat hair that they lick off themselves.
link to original post

What the heck is a hairball then?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
August 27th, 2023 at 4:34:12 PM permalink

link to original post

I think a good BBQ brisket can be the best BBQ meat. I would say in general about 1 out of 10 brisket meals I order is good. That number probably goes up when visiting Texas.
DRich
DRich
August 27th, 2023 at 4:36:39 PM permalink
Today the wife and I drove 204 miles to try a diner for brunch. The meal was very average.

The bonus was that there were some curvy roads so I let the autopilot navigate most of them. It is surprisingly good at following the curves when I had my hands off the wheel.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2023 at 4:58:45 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

What the heck is a hairball then?
link to original post

I was wrong, cats don't digest cat hair but it does pass through the digestive system and they expel it in their feces. If they take in too much cat here it forms a hairball. I probably assumed because it passes through their system that they digest it.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
August 27th, 2023 at 5:13:33 PM permalink

Fried egg sandwich with turkey sausage, onion, avocado, fresh spinach and mayo. The very first thing I learned how to cook when I was 7 years old was a fried egg sandwich I still love the things.

link to original post

So that brings it to about 1/2 loaf of white bread in the past 24 hours ?
It’s all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
August 27th, 2023 at 5:38:52 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

So that brings it to about 1/2 loaf of white bread in the past 24 hours ?

Not if you buy the big loaves.
billryan
billryan
August 27th, 2023 at 5:43:19 PM permalink

Today the wife and I drove 204 miles to try a diner for brunch. The meal was very average.

The bonus was that there were some curvy roads so I let the autopilot navigate most of them. It is surprisingly good at following the curves when I had my hands off the wheel.
link to original post

"Surprisingly good" may not be the standard I'm looking for regarding my safety. I would be curious how auto-drive handles the switchbacks and hairpin turns of the Apache National Forest, but wouldn't want to be in the car. Luckily, you won't drive off many cliffs in Florida.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2023 at 7:12:35 PM permalink

link to original post

"Surprisingly good" may not be the standard I'm looking for regarding my safety. I would be curious how auto-drive handles the switchbacks and hairpin turns of the Apache National Forest, but wouldn't want to be in the car. Luckily, you won't drive off many cliffs in Florida.
link to original post

The only cliffs in Florida are in the parking garages. I was watching a YouTube video of somebody hiking the Florida Trail and he got to the high point of the whole Trail which is like 300 ft above sea level and he had to stop because he was out of breath and was getting a nosebleed.. Good thing he brought oxygen with him.. And a Sherpa.
rxwine
rxwine
August 28th, 2023 at 7:16:07 AM permalink
Plenty of people have driven into the canals where Drich lives.
billryan
billryan
August 28th, 2023 at 7:51:43 AM permalink
Just had the worst hotel breakfast buffet ever. I usually just have an energy/diet supplement for breakfast, but when in Tucson....... About forty of us are staying at this hotel, and we had asked for a private dining room but they didn't have one big enough, so we ate in the breakfast nook, which spills over to the hotel lobby. Despite our warnings, and having observed our behavior the last 72 hours, the hotel added no more staff or food to the buffet so ten minutes in, there was no more food. The on-duty manager, who looked like he was 15, didn't know what to do and panic descended on the room. He was running around handing out two packs of cookies he found somewhere and promising there would be food in an hour or so. As more guys and regular guests came in, it started to get ugly. Then someone pulled a fire alarm and we had to evacuate. 745 AM, I'm working on my second beer and waiting for the fire brigade to give the all clear.
I'm heading up to the Apache Trail for a day or three if I ever get back to my room for my phone and car keys.
Gialmere
Gialmere
August 29th, 2023 at 10:17:09 AM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #4

1) What snack brand introduced in 1968 features individual pieces shaped as hyperbolic paraboloids so that they fit together perfectly in their vessel?

2) Poutine, a favorite dish of Quebec, has what sauce added atop French fries and cheese curds?

3) Originating in Hawaii, what is the term for a raw fish salad served in a bowl?

4) Spicy ginger beer is a key ingredient -- along with vodka and lime juice -- of what city-named cocktail?

5) "Where's the beef?" is a catchphrase in the United States and Canada introduced in 1984 by what fast food chain?

No searching please.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
August 29th, 2023 at 10:35:41 AM permalink
I avoid restaurant foods. They add too much salt, sugar and oil. I am body sensitive and get sick. Subways is okay except i try to avoid bread and i dont trust sanitation.

Just had the worst hotel breakfast buffet ever. I usually just have an energy/diet supplement for breakfast, but when in Tucson....... About forty of us are staying at this hotel, and we had asked for a private dining room but they didn't have one big enough, so we ate in the breakfast nook, which spills over to the hotel lobby. Despite our warnings, and having observed our behavior the last 72 hours, the hotel added no more staff or food to the buffet so ten minutes in, there was no more food. The on-duty manager, who looked like he was 15, didn't know what to do and panic descended on the room. He was running around handing out two packs of cookies he found somewhere and promising there would be food in an hour or so. As more guys and regular guests came in, it started to get ugly. Then someone pulled a fire alarm and we had to evacuate. 745 AM, I'm working on my second beer and waiting for the fire brigade to give the all clear.
I'm heading up to the Apache Trail for a day or three if I ever get back to my room for my phone and car keys.
link to original post

Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 29th, 2023 at 10:54:27 AM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

I avoid restaurant foods. They add too much salt, sugar and oil. I am body sensitive and get sick. Subways is okay except i try to avoid bread and i dont trust sanitation.
link to original post

I agree 1000%, you never know what you're eating. Salt Fat sugar and carbs that's their mainstay. I also avoid buffets most of the time because they overcook everything so they can stay out of trouble. If you overcook everything then you know nobody's going to get sick and people are so food ignorant they don't even know when they're eating crappy food they just think it's great because they're eating out. I've watched people eat shoe leather roast beef in a buffet and just smack their chops thinking it's the best thing they ever had.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Gialmere
August 29th, 2023 at 10:57:59 AM permalink

1) What snack brand introduced in 1968 features individual pieces shaped as hyperbolic paraboloids so that they fit together perfectly in their vessel?

2) Poutine, a favorite dish of Quebec, has what sauce added atop French fries and cheese curds?

3) Originating in Hawaii, what is the term for a raw fish salad served in a bowl?

4) Spicy ginger beer is a key ingredient -- along with vodka and lime juice -- of what city-named cocktail?

5) "Where's the beef?" is a catchphrase in the United States and Canada introduced in 1984 by what fast food chain?

No searching please.
link to original post

There was an amusing confusion about hyperbolic paraboloids being covered in chocolate, and that somehow disqualified the snacks from consideration.
Her answers were a long string of "I don't know that!"

Moscow Mule.
I'm not sure that the copper cups do anything to improve the drink. Maybe it's like a julep with a handle, where the goal is to get a layer of frosted condensate on the outside. Pure speculation.

Now back to your regular schedule.
DRich
DRich
August 29th, 2023 at 11:27:24 AM permalink

No searching please.
link to original post

Those ones were pretty easy for me.
billryan
billryan
August 29th, 2023 at 11:48:05 AM permalink
#1 has me stumped, and as a ten-year-old in 1968, it sounds like something I'd have been all over.
DRich
DRich
August 29th, 2023 at 2:18:19 PM permalink

#1 has me stumped, and as a ten-year-old in 1968, it sounds like something I'd have been all over.
link to original post

Think snack food
billryan
billryan
August 29th, 2023 at 2:32:05 PM permalink

link to original post

Think snack food

link to original post

I do remember the first time I had them. My parents disapproved as they thought they contained a chemical. I remembered them from an event in 1967, and it turns out they went national in 1966, not 68. So far, I'm at a bit over 50% on all the quizzes.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
August 29th, 2023 at 2:36:33 PM permalink

link to original post

The answer to #1 is in my head.
billryan
billryan
August 29th, 2023 at 2:41:36 PM permalink
I was thinking of pizza spins, a wheel-based snack that came out around the same time. It was loaded with garlic and was delicious but never caught on.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
August 29th, 2023 at 3:00:54 PM permalink

link to original post

Think snack food

link to original post

I do remember the first time I had them. My parents disapproved as they thought they contained a chemical. I remembered them from an event in 1967, and it turns out they went national in 1966, not 68. So far, I'm at a bit over 50% on all the quizzes.
link to original post

#1 def stumped me. I knew the others.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
August 29th, 2023 at 3:52:03 PM permalink
Am i supposed to post what i think the answer is? I havnt read the beginning.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
August 29th, 2023 at 4:08:11 PM permalink
I think i know all except #3.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 29th, 2023 at 4:20:04 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

Am i supposed to post what i think the answer is? I havnt read the beginning.
link to original post

These quizzes are an excuse to use the spoiler formatting tag.

If you'd like to play, please
like this
your answers.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 29th, 2023 at 4:47:34 PM permalink
Deli turkey, avocado, hard boiled egg, lettuce. This sandwich was so good because of the contrast of the tastes. The trick is to put the Mayo on the top slice of bread and then put the blueberries on the Mayo and they stick so you can put the top piece of bread on the sandwich without any falling off.

Gialmere
Gialmere
August 29th, 2023 at 7:02:52 PM permalink

Quick Food Trivia Quiz #4 Answers

Pringles

Pringles was anything but an overnight success. Procter & Gamble came up with the idea of chips all shaped the same in the 50s but gave it up as the resulting chip tasted terrible. They tried again in the 60's keeping the saddle shape idea and finally creating a dough that was palatable. The chip was released in the late 60s in the mid-west were it lingered on the shelves but finally caught on enough for national distribution in 1975. It again lingered but again slowly built up steam to become a household brand name.

It's popularity then caused other snack makers to complain to the FDA that a Pringle is NOT a potato chip. The makers had a point. A Pringle is not a slice of potato, and its dough is only 40% potato. This is why a Pringle now bills itself as a potato crisp.

Brown Gravy

Poutine is one of those dishes you either love or think is utterly disgusting. It was invented in Quebec during the 50s as a sort of "Po-Boy" dish. Initially ridiculed, Poutine would eventually be embraced by high end chefs who would bring their own versions (such as "Lobster Poutine") to the classy restaurants of Montreal. Poutine is now thought of as the national dish of Canada. Not surprisingly, several greasy spoons in Quebec now claim to be the original Poutine makers.

Poke or Poké.

Like the dish "fish & poi", a poke bowl consumed by a native Hawaiian is vastly different from those served to tourists in the swanky Waikiki hotels. Like Poutine, the dish was eventually embraced by high-end chefs who turned poke into an opulent dish, pleasing to both the eye and the palate. There's no doubt that Poke is currently a growth trend in the food industry. It's probably a short drive from your house to a strip mall containing a poke eatery.

Moscow Mule

The Moscow Mule was the drink that put the little know spirit of vodka on the map in the United States. It's traditionally served in a copper mug that both assumes the cold temperature of the cocktail and also makes consuming it a sort of "event" for the drinkers. The Moscow Mule was heavily promoted by (surprise!) Smirnoff Vodka who would also pay a big product placement fee to make a certain British spy drink his vodka martinis shaken, not stirred. Between the mule, the spy and perhaps the screwdriver, vodka now battles whiskey as the top selling spirit in America.

Wendy's

The ad campaign was so successful that the phrase "Where's the beef?" eventually entered popular culture as a multipurpose phrase questioning the substance of an idea. It was most famously used by Walter Mondale during a 1984 presidential debate against Ronald Reagan. On the other hand, you could argue that the ad campaign was a failure since few people now remember that "Where's the beef?" means you should go order a Dave's Double. The famous phrase escaped its creators.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 30th, 2023 at 5:39:12 PM permalink
Last day of blueberries for me. This is a warm catfish sandwich with red onion and paper thin slices of Monterey jalapeno cheese and of course the blueberries. What makes this sandwich especially good is I took one half cup of avocado Mayo and one quarter cup of grated Parmesan cheese and one teaspoon of garlic powder mixed it all together and put that on the top and bottom slice. If you've never had this try it, it'll knock your socks off for flavor.

billryan
billryan
August 30th, 2023 at 9:54:56 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

Think snack food

link to original post

link to original post

#1 def stumped me. I knew the others.
link to original post

I was referring to Bugles, a cone shape snack.
  • Jump to: