• Threads: 212
Thanked by
Mission146
August 7th, 2021 at 1:30:48 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I have the 7 Eleven App so I get a discount sometimes
don't really understand when I get it and for what items

yesterday I bought a quarter pound big bite hot dog - nothing else
the cashier punched in a bunch of lines on my receipt - I think 6 - they were all abbreviated and I didn't know what any of it meant

the total price for the dog ended up being $1.06................(~:\

I almost feel embarrassed to say this but the dog was really good

I'm generally not a fan of 7 Eleven food - I got the App just for the deal on coffee

now I realize, my snobbery was misplaced - they have some tasty items

it's hit or miss - because sometimes they stay in their heating device too long and they end up overcooked

I think you can can have a taste for cheap food, particularly if it’s associated with pleasant childhood memories.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Mission146
August 7th, 2021 at 1:34:53 PM permalink
…but then, all my childhood memories are of retching and vomiting.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Mission146
August 7th, 2021 at 3:36:53 PM permalink
I've been buying meals from a company called Factor 75. For lunch today I had their chili bowl. It comes in a tray and you microwave the meat and the cheeses in different compartments and mix them together with the supplied sour cream. I'm not a big chili eater but this was the best chili I've ever had. I'm definitely adding this into the rotation.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
Mission146
August 7th, 2021 at 6:07:31 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've been buying meals from a company called Factor 75. For lunch today I had their chili bowl. It comes in a tray and you microwave the meat and the cheeses in different compartments and mix them together with the supplied sour cream. I'm not a big chili eater but this was the best chili I've ever had. I'm definitely adding this into the rotation.

I’ll have to check that out.

It looks exactly like Freshly and Cookunity, both which I’ve tried and liked.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 9:14:41 AM permalink

What's the cost per meal, once the initial discount runs out?
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 10:53:48 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What's the cost per meal, once the initial discount runs out?

That's the rub. They are not cheap. I'm on their second and last promo price tier so it cost me $52 for six meals delivered. In three weeks, that goes up to $77 for six meals.
Then you have plans where you prepay $250 for $300 and it goes up to $925 for $1400. I'm experimenting with trying to duplicate their recipes but have not been very successful. The spices are the key.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 11:04:33 AM permalink
You might want to get a wife who is a good cook instead of using a food service.

Trust me, the "extra benefits" should more than make up for having to deal with her BS.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 11:26:53 AM permalink
$77 is a very fair price to pay for not having a wife. Besides, where can you find one that won't cost me double that.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 12:18:16 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

You might want to get a wife who is a good cook instead of using a food service.

Or just get really good it making half a dozen dishes and you won't need a wife or a food service. I'm looking at over 20 spice containers, start there. I can't live without powdered garlic, onion, cumin, and dried basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, and my fave, smoked paprika. Add coarse ground sea salt and a decent pepper grinder with fresh peppercorns you're off to a good start. I also use hot sauce frequently and I only use Valentina which is imported from Mexico. Not super hot but it's not mild either, it's really good and really cheap at Walmart online. A 34oz glass jar is only $1.78. It's very popular in Mexico I see it all the time on restaurant tables in food videos from Mexico. It's so cheap I usually buy half a dozen bottles at once & keep it in the pantry.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 12:40:40 PM permalink

$77 is a very fair price to pay for not having a wife. Besides, where can you find one that won't cost me double that.

I think the break even on the wife is that she must make at least $60k a year and be content shopping at Walmart and Target.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Mission146Keeneone
August 8th, 2021 at 3:22:57 PM permalink

picadillo- Spanish dish - ground beef mixed with potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.

Please don't feed the trolls
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 4:38:00 PM permalink
Picadillo is yummy. Here is our modified (Cubanish) Picadillo recipe:

Picadillo

2 lbs - ground beef
2 T - olive oil
1 - large onion chopped
1 - large green pepper chopped
4 - garlic cloves diced
8 oz. - tomato sauce
4-5 oz. - green/salad olives chopped (save juice for later)
1 lb - potatoes peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp - salt
1 tsp - pepper
1/2 tsp - oregano
1/2 tsp - turmeric

Sauté onion, green pepper, garlic in olive oil and salt 1-2 minutes
Add beef and cook until meat is browned
Add tomato sauce, remaining spices, olives, all olive juice, and potatoes
Cook 25-30 min. on medium (5 out of 10) to heat through and make sure potatoes are done

-Boil potatoes beforehand to speed up cooking time

Serve over rice or with heated tortillas.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 5:04:03 PM permalink

Try fiverr, or is it 5fiver.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 5:25:51 PM permalink
Deli corned beef, provolone cheese, sweetened sauerkraut made with cocktail sauce and sesame seeds, wrapped in Nori seaweed. Tomato red onion and sliced mushrooms on the side. 300 calories and very filling.

EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 5:50:26 PM permalink
Every man should have one of these it will turn you into an instant cook. An Instant Pot pressure cooker, these things are hugely popular. I'm on my second one I wore my first one out. Put a 3 lb pork roast and a pint of water in the pot and pressure cook for 40 minutes. Add chopped up onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and pressure cook for 8 more minutes. You will have three or four days of pulled pork and veggies and gravy you made out of the liquid. Impossible to screw up. About a hundred bucks almost anywhere.

rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 5:58:10 PM permalink
My sister loves hers.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 6:34:24 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Every man should have one of these it will turn you into an instant cook. An Instant Pot pressure cooker, these things are hugely popular. I'm on my second one I wore my first one out. Put a 3 lb pork roast and a pint of water in the pot and pressure cook for 40 minutes. Add chopped up onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and pressure cook for 8 more minutes. You will have three or four days of pulled pork and veggies and gravy you made out of the liquid. Impossible to screw up. About a hundred bucks almost anywhere.

We have one of those and have had it about 3 years. It was used once by my wife and now sits in the closet. I guess she wasn't very impressed the one time she used it.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 8th, 2021 at 6:37:23 PM permalink
I think the best food I’ve ever had from a can are these quinoa stuffed dolmas from Trader Joe’s. I eat that a couple days a week for lunch if I’m actually hungry.

They’re sort of restaurant quality? Like, if you went to a Mediterranean restaurant that was slightly subpar…but acceptable…pretty much like that.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146Calder
August 8th, 2021 at 7:40:13 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

We have one of those and have had it about 3 years. It was used once by my wife and now sits in the closet. I guess she wasn't very impressed the one time she used it.

I have every cooking tool known to man. Convection oven, air fryer, three different waffle makers, electric Wok, electric frying pan, two different sized George Foreman grills, two different size food processors, a spiralizer, a microwave, two slow cookers, I'm sure I'm leaving something out. The most awesome thing I own is the Instant Pot. It's a miracle worker cooking machine. I'm using it tomorrow to make chicken soup. Put in 4 pounds of chicken thighs and all the other ingredients, cook for 24 minutes and you have an awesome chicken soup. Like the kind you get that was sitting on the stove simmering for 6 hours.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 10:31:13 PM permalink
For once I agree with EB.

I only use my instant pot for cooking long grain rice, which cuts the time from 60 minutes to 30. But more importantly, you just set it and forget it, instead of having to watch the stove and add water periodically.

Great, versatile tool and only cost about $50 as I recall
It’s all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 10:39:21 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I only use my instant pot for cooking long grain rice,

It's great for making pilaf. Cut up the veggies, measure the water and rice, put in the spices and in 30 minutes dinner is ready. Some people are afraid to use pressure cookers but this is not Granny's pressure cooker. It has at least half a dozen computer-controlled safety devices to keep it from blowing up.

billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
August 8th, 2021 at 10:40:19 PM permalink
I used mine twice before it sat for months. I sold it at an auction for most of what I paid for it and a few weeks later picked up an unopened one for $10. Now I mostly use my arfryer/grill combo.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
August 14th, 2021 at 10:06:29 AM permalink

this is my really EZ recipe for rice pudding

okay, I lied - it's not rice pudding but the taste and texture are very, very similar
real rice pudding is hard to make

okay, make a bowl of Quaker Oats original
put it in the refrigerator for a few hours or the freezer for about 40 minutes

when it's cold add, sweetener or raisins, or bananas or coconut milk (my thing) or cinnamon or whatever -

to me it's almost exactly the same as rice pudding

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
August 14th, 2021 at 10:22:39 AM permalink
Last night for dinner I got to splurge. My wife is deathly allergic to shellfish so I almost never get it. She can not even sit at the same table as me if I am having a bowl of clam chowder. She will end up going to the hospital if she does. She was scheduled to go out of town yesterday so I made plans with friends to go out for a shrimp and crab boil. The wife's trip got cancelled for Covid reasons but I wasn't giving up my splurge dinner.

I ordered one pound of shrimp in a cajun garlic sauce and added 1/2 pound of scallops, 1/2 pound of snow crab, red potatoes, corn on the cob, and sausage. it was the messiest most decadent meal that I have had in years. The bib I was wearing did not protect me. When I popped off one particular shrimp head it exploded and covered me and the girl next to me. It was an $80 meal but well worth it.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
August 14th, 2021 at 11:53:19 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

this is my really EZ recipe for rice pudding

okay, I lied - it's not rice pudding but the taste and texture are very, very similar
real rice pudding is hard to make

okay, make a bowl of Quaker Oats original
put it in the refrigerator for a few hours or the freezer for about 40 minutes

when it's cold add, sweetener or raisins, or bananas or coconut milk (my thing) or cinnamon or whatever -

to me it's almost exactly the same as rice pudding

Here’s one, healthy/tons of fiber. Chia seeds with almond milk, put in fridge for 4+ hours to absorb mostuire/turn to pudding. Flavor with cocoa, fruit, sweeteners, syrup or honey before or after refrigerating depending on ingredient. The keto folk love chia pudding because it’s one of the few sweets they can have, essentially no net carbs with all the fiber.
threadbumper
threadbumper
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
unJon
August 15th, 2021 at 4:20:13 PM permalink
Food.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
August 15th, 2021 at 4:57:33 PM permalink
Lunch: cheeseburger and corn on the cob (I stock up when they're cheap and freeze them)

Dinner: top sirloin steak with green beans
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
August 15th, 2021 at 5:04:55 PM permalink
This instant pot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe was fantastic.

https://www.jocooks.com/wprm_print/16454

I had to order Garam Masala from Amazon, couldn’t find it anywhere. I even checked an Indian grocery store and couldn’t find it. Apparently most Indian families will have their own recipe for a Garam Masala blend, they don’t buy it pre-made.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 15th, 2021 at 10:02:51 PM permalink
Cheese burgers with homemade chaffle bread and baked turnip fries. I ground the beef fresh myself so I cooked it to 125° rare. If you've never had good ground beef cooked rare in a burger it's outstanding.

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 16th, 2021 at 12:14:58 PM permalink
Made a pizza with homemade pizza sauce and had a piece for lunch, will have more for dinner.

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2021 at 6:36:17 PM permalink
Eggs on top of roast beef hash, homemade of course. I'll eat the rest for lunch tomorrow.

Ace2
Ace2
August 17th, 2021 at 6:47:28 PM permalink

Cheese burgers with homemade chaffle bread and baked turnip fries. I ground the beef fresh myself so I cooked it to 125° rare. If you've never had good ground beef cooked rare in a burger it's outstanding.

Please explain why it’s okay to eat rare ground beef. If there happens to be E. coli présent on the exterior of the beef cut before it’s ground, what difference does it make who grinds it? Serious question
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2021 at 6:58:54 PM permalink

Please explain why it’s okay to eat rare ground beef. If there happens to be E. coli présent on the exterior of the beef cut before it’s ground, what difference does it make who grinds it? Serious question

Because of the USDA and the rigorous inspection of all stages of beef production the rate of E coli on beef is less than one-half of 1%. This means there is a 99.5 plus percent that the beef you buy does not have e coli. Those are pretty good odds. Ever hear of steak tartare? It's wonderful and the ground beef is completely rare. It even comes with a raw egg on top.

Ace2
Ace2
August 17th, 2021 at 8:54:25 PM permalink
1/200 odds of getting E. coli is still too high. If you make burgers like that often you will get it

I don’t understand the appeal of completely raw meat. Even when I order a steak medium rare, most of the flavor is coming from the browned exterior (Maillard réaction), which seems to be the case for all meat
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 17th, 2021 at 9:54:04 PM permalink

It has to do with the lifecycle of the bacteria, and how long it takes them to make little baby bacteria.

Who grinds it? You're right; unimportant.
Ground 14 minutes ago vs ground 14 days ago? Very important.

You won't catch any hassle from me if you choose medium instead of raw or vice versa.
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2021 at 10:27:08 PM permalink

1/200 odds of getting E. coli is still too high. If you make burgers like that often you will get it

Really?. When. I started eating rare beef about 1973, one of my best friends started raising cows from calves and getting them slaughtered once a year to fill two freezers up with beef. We used to grind the beef ourselves cooking on the BBQ bloody rare. Absolutely delicious. Since then every burger I've made has been as rare if I can make it because that's where all the flavor is. Even the beef I buy ground from a reliable source. I've made beef tartare so many times I couldn't count. Never got sick even once. Not one time. So tell me, when am I going to get sick. Gotten salmonella poisoning at least twice from undercooked frozen chicken. Beef in this country is very safe to eat. I do the same thing when I have steaks, I cook them bloody rare. You can even have medium rare pork now since they dropped the safe temperature from 165 down to 145. I remove it from the heat at 135 and let it rest and the heat in the meat continues to cook and it gradually goes up in temperature to 142-143 and it's absolutely wonderful. Full of flavor like you've never had in pork. There are people that still refuse to eat it because it's pink in the middle.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2021 at 10:32:10 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

You won't catch any hassle from me if you choose medium instead of raw or vice versa.

Yeah, the odds of getting e-coli from beef is less than one-half of 1%. I've taking my chances for almost 50 years and will continue to do so. I wouldn't eat a medium steak in a restaurant if it was free. Some upscale restaurants will refuse to cook a steak anything but rare or medium rare because they know any more cook time than that ruins it.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 18th, 2021 at 4:30:08 AM permalink

I wouldn't eat a medium steak in a restaurant if it was free.

Yeah, but I guess you'd lean toward the raw side.
If a person leans toward the bootleather side... The chicken parmigiana is very good.
May the cards fall in your favor.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
August 18th, 2021 at 4:34:54 AM permalink
Rare ground beef like that burger is absolutely revolting. Not because of safety reasons, but undercooked ground beef is truly disgusting.

It’s not the same as a rare steak. Not even a little.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
August 18th, 2021 at 8:34:16 AM permalink
I tried raw beef once. But it was marinated.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
billryan
billryan
August 18th, 2021 at 8:44:55 AM permalink
I love raw ground beef. In the course of making two dozen meatballs, I will consume maybe 5% of the product. Even more when I make a meatloaf.
I used to like my steaks seared on the outside but purple inside. Now I'm more pink than purple. It's strange- I like my burger as rare as possible and my hotdogs as well done as I can get them.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2021 at 9:29:07 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Rare ground beef like that burger is absolutely revolting.

It's the polar opposite of revolting. It tastes fantastic,
is better for you, and is more natural than cooking
the beef till it's grey and flavorless like so many
people have been brainwashed into doing. That's
absolutely revolting.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2021 at 9:34:37 AM permalink

I love raw ground beef. In the course of making two dozen meatballs, I will consume maybe 5% of the product. Even more when I make a meatloaf.

It's where all the flavor is. Go into more
sophisticated countries where they know what
real food is and they eat things like raw beef and
blood sausage all the time.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
August 18th, 2021 at 10:19:17 AM permalink

It's the polar opposite of revolting. It tastes fantastic,
is better for you, and is more natural than cooking
the beef till it's grey and flavorless like so many
people have been brainwashed into doing. That's
absolutely revolting.

It has nothing to do with taste, it’s the texture. Ground beef is disgusting meat pudding until it’s cooked.

There’s a reason meatloaf is never made medium-rare.

If your cooking your ground beef beef to medium results in no flavor, you aren’t seasoning it properly.
DRich
DRich
August 18th, 2021 at 10:37:34 AM permalink

It has nothing to do with taste, it’s the texture. Ground beef is disgusting meat pudding until it’s cooked.

If your cooking your ground beef beef to medium results in no flavor, you aren’t seasoning it properly.

Some people don't season food because they want to taste the food.

I do not use any condiments because I think they detract from the taste of burgers, hot dogs, or sandwich's. I want to taste the meat.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
August 18th, 2021 at 10:43:55 AM permalink
My dr told me to eat organic meat. I feel better.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
August 18th, 2021 at 10:55:35 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Some people don't season food because they want to taste the food.

I do not use any condiments because I think they detract from the taste of burgers, hot dogs, or sandwich's. I want to taste the meat.

Condiments and seasoning are different

Seasoning meat enhances the flavor of meat while condiments tend to cover it up
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 18th, 2021 at 11:06:20 AM permalink

I love raw ground beef.

I too love raw ground beef preferably sirloin or round. I go to a market that does their own butchering and grinding and buy a sirloin tip or round roast and have the meat guy grind it twice. There usually is no extra charge and the actual cost is cheaper than if one were to buy pre-packaged ground sirloin or ground round. The texture and taste is wonderful. Try it.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
August 18th, 2021 at 11:29:43 AM permalink

Condiments and seasoning are different

Seasoning meat enhances the flavor of meat while condiments tend to cover it up

I agree, I like seasoned meat but I am guessing that there are some purists that want it to taste as if the just bit it off of the cow.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2021 at 11:51:16 AM permalink

Reason being all meatloaf has raw eggs
in it and the raw vegetables would never
cook all the way through. You would end
up with hard celery and half cooked
onions. Has nothing to do with e coli.

And the texture of fresh ground beef
is wonderful. Quit buying the over
ground mush they sell in the store.
Raw and rare beef are one of the delights
of eating meat.
  • Jump to: