Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 13th, 2021 at 1:47:28 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Supposedly thin filets of fish can't be reheated in the microwave without ruining the texture, but I've never tried doing it using a really short interval feature with a long time entered. Might work.

• link to original post

The few attempts hat I have tried thawing fish in the microwave they came out rubbery,
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    • Threads: 211
    September 13th, 2021 at 1:56:48 PM permalink
    Quote: DRich

Supposedly thin filets of fish can't be reheated in the microwave without ruining the texture, but I've never tried doing it using a really short interval feature with a long time entered. Might work.

• link to original post

The few attempts hat I have tried thawing fish in the microwave they came out rubbery,
  • link to original post

The typical setting for thaw may be too long an interval.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    • Threads: 441
    September 13th, 2021 at 2:47:06 PM permalink

• link to original post

I use the microwave on all kinds of fish and
    it always works fine. Cooking or reheating.
    "It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 13th, 2021 at 2:52:17 PM permalink

• link to original post

You do not want to thaw it, you want to cook it frozen and it comes out perfect every time. Thawing it will make it either rubbery or watery. I generally just put it in a bowl with a little water and season it and put a dinner plate on top of the bowl and nuke it for about 5 minutes. If that's not long enough do it for a couple more minutes. I said in another post the best salmon fillet I can make comes from the microwave. If you bake it or grill it or broil it or even poach it there is a chance it will be too dry.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    September 13th, 2021 at 3:41:17 PM permalink
    Quote: EvenBob

• link to original post

You do not want to thaw it, you want to cook it frozen and it comes out perfect every time. Thawing it will make it either rubbery or watery. I generally just put it in a bowl with a little water and season it and put a dinner plate on top of the bowl and nuke it for about 5 minutes. If that's not long enough do it for a couple more minutes. I said in another post the best salmon fillet I can make comes from the microwave. If you bake it or grill it or broil it or even poach it there is a chance it will be too dry.
  • link to original post

The bottom line is it is really a matter of personal preference. I just got back from Olive Garden where I had some ‘wood grilled salmon’ or such. It was very crispy on the outside, and moist enough on the inside for me. But I can easily see someone else feeling it was overcooked.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 13th, 2021 at 4:08:55 PM permalink
    Quote: SOOPOO

The bottom line is it is really a matter of personal preference. I just got back from Olive Garden where I had some ‘wood grilled salmon’ or such. It was very crispy on the outside, and moist enough on the inside for me. But I can easily see someone else feeling it was overcooked.

• link to original post

We always measure what we eat against the best example of that we've ever had. For me microwave salmon is the best way. I used to poach it and even that would come out too dry at times. I always make my burgers bloody rare because if I don't I know it's not going to be the best burger and I'm robbing myself.
    DRich
    DRich
    September 13th, 2021 at 7:33:12 PM permalink
    Quote: SOOPOO

• link to original post

• link to original post

• link to original post

y

I definitely want some char on my fish. There is a beach bar we go to in St Martin that we go to where they grill the whole fish over a wood fire and serve it whole. Head, eyeballs, and everything. It is wonderful.
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    • Threads: 60
    September 13th, 2021 at 10:00:25 PM permalink

Don't overdo the squash, there are 14 grams
    of carbohydrate in 7 oz of spaghetti squash.
    7 oz sounds like a lot but it's not. That would be
    75% of my carbohydrate allowance for the day.
    Most of the squashes are high in carbs. Summer
    squash and zucchini are not. I use them in the
    spiralizer a lot to make noodles.

• link to original post

The thin spaghetti in my pantry says that it has 45 grams of carbs per 2 oz. serving. Thus, replacing pasta (spaghetti) with spaghetti squash, which has 14 grams of carbs per 7 oz,, is reducing carbohydrates by a factor of 10. Am I missing something?
    So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
    billryan
    billryan
    • Threads: 240
    September 13th, 2021 at 10:11:02 PM permalink
    I'm confused about the serving size. My whole wheat Rigate says 40 grams of carbs per two ounce serving, but realistically I'm going to have four ounces. How many ounces is a serving of spaghetti in a realistic serving? Comparing dry weight pasta to raw squash is complex.

Some quick reach seems to show a serving of spaghetti squash is 100 grams, or just under four ounces. Forty grams of carbs vs seven per serving size.

However, Amazon is selling 50 gram boxes which make four servings, which makes each serving size closer to twelve grams . I'm thinking people are using different measures.
    Last edited by: billryan on Sep 13, 2021
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 16
    September 13th, 2021 at 11:16:31 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

However, Amazon is selling 50 gram boxes which make four servings, which makes each serving size closer to twelve grams . I'm thinking people are using different measures.

• link to original post

Any chance that's a 500 gram box?
    Half a kilo of dry pasta would be a bit over a pound; 4x 125g portions would seem reasonable by modern US standards.
    I'm not finding much on a search of 50g of pasta.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 13th, 2021 at 11:42:48 PM permalink
    No, it is a 1.76 ounce box that makes four servings. I assume it is dry measured, but it is several times more expensive than regular pasta. I can buy five pounds of whole wheat penne rigate or almost any other pasta for what this 1.76 ounce box sells for.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spaghetti+squash&crid=3U4ATXJHV0AN&sprefix=spaghetti+squash%2Caps%2C235&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_16
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    September 14th, 2021 at 12:23:23 AM permalink
    Ahh, dehydrated fruit is often expensive.

I think you may be able to buy a whole spaghetti squash for about half that, if long term shelf stability and light weight are not key advantages to you.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 14th, 2021 at 1:15:55 AM permalink
    Quote: gordonm888

The thin spaghetti in my pantry says that it has 45 grams of carbs per 2 oz. serving. Thus, replacing pasta (spaghetti) with spaghetti squash, which has 14 grams of carbs per 7 oz,, is reducing carbohydrates by a factor of 10. Am I missing something?

• link to original post

Yep. It's like going from smoking Camel non filter cigarettes to smoking Camel lights. If you get my drift.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 7:01:36 AM permalink
    I've eliminated the pasta completely. I call it ziti-less Baked Ziti.
    Ground turkey, ground chicken sausage, sliced and diced eggplant, mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan cheeses, all mixed together and baked. I make a huge batch, divide it into six to eight servings and freeze three-quarters of them. I find it just as tasty but since it is less filling, you tend to eat more. That's why I make the servings ahead of time.
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    September 14th, 2021 at 11:38:30 AM permalink

I've eliminated the pasta completely. I call it ziti-less Baked Ziti.
    Ground turkey, ground chicken sausage, sliced and diced eggplant, mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan cheeses, all mixed together and baked. I make a huge batch, divide it into six to eight servings and freeze three-quarters of them. I find it just as tasty but since it is less filling, you tend to eat more. That's why I make the servings ahead of time.

• link to original post

I agree with your strategy. Can I ask how much turkey, chicken sausage and eggplant in your 6-8 serving batch?

I'm starting to think (doh!) that minimizing or eliminating wheat-based pasta, rice, cereal and potatoes is essential to controlling carbs and overall glucemic load/caloric intake, certainly for this part-Italian boy. I've also switched from enriched white bread to whole wheat and cut my bread intake by at least 3X. Also, I drink only water (virtually no beer!). Of course I avoid all pastries and almost all processed foods with high-fructose corn syrup.

I am chagrined to realize that most sushi rolls contain rice, which is sky high in carbs/oz. and and has a very high glucemic index. When its sushi night, I have started buying "no-rice" sushi for myself, and sushi with rice for my wife. "No-rice sushi" is about 20% more expensive.
    So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    Thanked by
    Rigondeaux
    September 14th, 2021 at 11:56:40 AM permalink

I'm starting to think (doh!) that minimizing or eliminating wheat-based pasta, rice, cereal and potatoes is essential to controlling carbs and overall glucemic load/caloric intake,

I eliminated all of that 4 years ago and I eliminated sugar in 1973 because I had a bad incident. The only wheat product I eat now, and it has changed my diet, is Aunt Millie's 1 carb bread. Each slice has only 1 carb because it's made with a few wheat byproducts and a lot of non soluble fiber. I can make a bread sandwich with only two grams of carb. Makes great toast. In two slices of regular whole wheat bread is 24 grams of carb. Aunt Millie's is expensive, 4.79 a loaf. But is so worth it.

This guy performed the due diligence on Aunt Millies Bread and it's the real thing. 1 actual carb per slice.

billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 12:02:57 PM permalink
    A package of each. I try to get a pound of each or as close as possible. I often throw in a can of stewed tomatoes, a container of ricotta cheese, about a pound of mozzarella and a generous amount of parmesan cheese, maybe half a container.
    I recently started using Pomi tomato sauces, from Amazon. No fat, no cholesterol, 5MG of sodium, 5G of carbs and no added sugar. The only drawback is it isn't seasoned so you will most likely want to add some spices to it.

I try to drink 180 ounces of ice water a day, although sometimes I'll add some instant lemonade into the water bottles. About a gallon of milk a week ,mostly for my breakfast shakes. I don't drink very often but on the once a month I do, I've switched from beer to rum and diet coke. I only have soda when I'm adding rum to it.
    I always ate a lot of pasta, and I always had a fat face, even when the rest of my body wasn't. Now my face is much thinner since cutting way back on pasta. I wish the rest of my body reacted as well.
    I recently added Yuca fries to my meal plans. They are not as good as French fries, but I like them more than sweet potato fries.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 14th, 2021 at 1:03:05 PM permalink

I try to drink 180 ounces of ice water a day, ]]

You drink a gallon and a half of water a day? Why?? Why on Earth would you overwork your kidneys like that, especially if you're over 50. Half a gallon a day is plenty if you're over 50 and don't have a strenuous job working in the sun all day. Drinking too much water can make you feel tired all the time because it's over working your kidneys. Your body will tell you how much water you need and it will never ever tell you 180 oz a day. And milk is terrible for adults, we didn't evolve to digest milk as adults. Plus milk is pure sugar. I used to drink whiskey and beer and I switched to vodka in the 90s I now I drink nothing but rum.
    DRich
    DRich
    September 14th, 2021 at 1:19:02 PM permalink
    I am at the office today and am feeling a little hungry. I check the freezer and I have a Marie Cakendar's frozen meal of Country Fried Chicken. That sounds alright so I take it out and put it in the microwave. The directions say that it takes 8 minutes. Who the hell spends 8 minutes heating up something in the microwave? After three minutes I was pissed and took it out and ate a cold piece of chicken but the sweet corn was warm.

Who spends that much time for making lunch?
    billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 1:21:04 PM permalink

You drink a gallon and a half of water a day? Why?? Why on Earth would you overwork your kidneys like that, especially if you're over 50. Half a gallon a day is plenty if you're over 50 and don't have a strenuous job working in the sun all day. Drinking too much water can make you feel tired all the time because it's over working your kidneys. Your body will tell you how much water you need and it will never ever tell you 180 oz a day. And milk is terrible for adults, we didn't evolve to digest milk as adults. Plus milk is pure sugar. I used to drink whiskey and beer and I switched to vodka in the 90s I now I drink nothing but rum.

• link to original post

The National Academy of Medicine recommends men get 125oz (around a gallon) of water per day. But staying hydrated isn’t as simple—or as limiting—as filling up a milk jug in the morning and taking the last swig before you go to sleep. Your needs depend heavily on a number of factors: your body size and activity level, the weather, your health, and just how sweaty a human you are. If you’re a big guy exercising in the heat, you’re obviously going to need a lot more water than a smaller person perched on his chair in a cool office all day.

I'm a big guy who lives in the desert. The Military recommends one pint of water for every 20 pounds. You can take your advice. I'll listen to my nutritionist, the National Academy and the Pentagon.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 1:32:54 PM permalink
    If a 120 pound woman should drink 2.7 liters of water a day, and a 180 pound man should drink 3.7 liter, how much should a 340 pound man drink? The rule of thumb seems to be a bit over a liter per sixty pounds. Divide 340 by 60 and you get just under six liters. I drink about four and a half liters, which is actually on the low end of the acceptable range. When it gets back to 75-80 degrees outside, I'll cut back a little.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 1:38:09 PM permalink

I am at the office today and am feeling a little hungry. I check the freezer and I have a Marie Cakendar's frozen meal of Country Fried Chicken. That sounds alright so I take it out and put it in the microwave. The directions say that it takes 8 minutes. Who the hell spends 8 minutes heating up something in the microwave? After three minutes I was pissed and took it out and ate a cold piece of chicken but the sweet corn was warm.

• link to original post

You need a minion. Or maybe a henchling.
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    September 14th, 2021 at 1:47:41 PM permalink

• link to original post

You need a minion. Or maybe a henchling.
  • link to original post

Or maybe a third wife?

Seriously, the lawyers of food manufacturers are obsessed with guaranteeing that the central temp of their food is at 160 degrees F or higher for a sustained period of time, in order to counter any lawsuit associated with food poisoning. Heating instructions for anything frozen (or at room temp) are always conservatively on the lengthy side, resulting in overly dry, well-done food. I always chop about 10% off the recommended heating duration.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 14th, 2021 at 2:32:49 PM permalink

If a 120 pound woman should drink 2.7 liters of water a day, and a 180 pound man should drink 3.7 liter, how much should a 340 pound man drink? The rule of thumb seems to be a bit over a liter per sixty pounds. Divide 340 by 60 and you get just under six liters.

You weigh 340 lb? My brother weighs 370 lb he collapsed from kidney failure at age 65 on July 22nd, He spent a month in the hospital has been in rehab ever since for physical therapy. Doctor says he needs to lose 150 pounds or he'll never make it to 70. A BMI of 30 or more is considered obese. His BMI is 45.
    Ace2
    Ace2
    • Threads: 32
    September 14th, 2021 at 2:37:25 PM permalink

• link to original post

People who prefer quality, fresh food over frozen processed junk
    It’s all about making that GTA
    billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 3:02:15 PM permalink

You weigh 340 lb? My brother weighs 370 lb he collapsed from kidney failure at age 65 on July 22nd, He spent a month in the hospital has been in rehab ever since for physical therapy. Doctor says he needs to lose 150 pounds or he'll never make it to 70. A BMI of 30 or more is considered obese. His BMI is 45.

• link to original post

I've weighed more than 425 but no longer do. Obviously, I did a lot of things wrong in the past. I can't do anything about them and can only work on what I have today. Honestly, I never really thought I'd live this long. Males in my family rarely live to retire. If I had, I'd have made different choices, but all I can do is make better decisions in the future. I'm better today than yesterday and will be better tomorrow.
    Some people are addicted to drugs, some to gambling. I was addicted to food. Luckily for me, I had jobs that kept me very active my whole life until a few years ago. When I retired, I should have cut my intake but didn't. I went from being active and walking three miles or more most days to watching tv 12 hours a day.
    I plan on being 300 sometime next year.
    Ace2
    Ace2
    • Threads: 32
    September 14th, 2021 at 3:24:11 PM permalink
    Nothing wrong with weighing 425 or more as long as your body fat is under 20%
    It’s all about making that GTA
    billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 3:31:02 PM permalink
    Speaking of which- I was reading about an upcoming PPV fight between two contestants from the Worlds Strongest Man Competition. It seems one guy accused the winner of cheating and after two years of badmouthing each other they are going to settle it in a ring. The winner of the contest has dropped almost hundred pounds thinking speed will win the fight, not mass.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 14th, 2021 at 3:33:08 PM permalink

I've weighed more than 425 but no longer do. Obviously, I did a lot of things wrong in the past. I

Losing weight is easy keeping it off is the hard part. I've lost and gained weight all my life. I went to see my doctor in March complaining about arthritis in my hips it was hard to get around. I was about 35 lb overweight and he said lose weight and you'll see a big difference. I said okay and have lost most of it this summer and the difference is really incredible. In the past, in my fifties say, if I had lost 30 pounds I would not have noticed it as much. But I'm 72 and there's a huge difference in my energy level in my balance in my sleeping, it's affecting every level of my life. Once you get past 60 your body does not deal with carrying a bunch of weight around like it did when you were 40. It's very very hard on it. Now when I carry a 35 lb bag of cat food into the house from the car I'm appalled and astounded at how much it weighs. So don't wait till next year, take a few months and go on a 1400 calorie a day diet and lose three or four pounds a week. You will be shocked and amazed at how much better you feel.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 14th, 2021 at 3:36:57 PM permalink
    Thank you for your well intended advice, but I think I'll stick with the plan my nutritionists has me on.
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    September 16th, 2021 at 9:53:18 AM permalink
    My Wife purchased a loaf of "Healthy Life" Keto bread. It is labeled on the front "0g net carbs per slice."

On the back it uses some very bizarre math as an explanation:

9g total carbs per slice

- 8g dietary fiber per slice

- 1g Allulose per slice

= 0g Net Carbs per slice

( Allulose is a new sweetener that does not metabolize to glucose)

It is also 30 calories per slice. It has 0g of sugar.

What dou you think? Deceptive? Healthy? Keto friendly?
    DRich
    DRich
    September 16th, 2021 at 10:27:37 AM permalink

• link to original post

I've weighed more than 425 but no longer do. Obviously, I did a lot of things wrong in the past. I can't do anything about them and can only work on what I have today. Honestly, I never really thought I'd live this long. Males in my family rarely live to retire. If I had, I'd have made different choices, but all I can do is make better decisions in the future. I'm better today than yesterday and will be better tomorrow.
    Some people are addicted to drugs, some to gambling. I was addicted to food. Luckily for me, I had jobs that kept me very active my whole life until a few years ago. When I retired, I should have cut my intake but didn't. I went from being active and walking three miles or more most days to watching tv 12 hours a day.
    I plan on being 300 sometime next year.
  • link to original post

I never expected to live past the age of 24. Now I am paying for all of those transgressions.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 16th, 2021 at 11:01:57 AM permalink

My Wife purchased a loaf of "Healthy Life" Keto bread. It is labeled on the front "0g net carbs per slice."

9g total carbs per slice

- 1g Allulose per slice

= 0g Net Carbs per slice

• link to original post

Did it taste good? I'm not a sandwich person, except for grilled cheese and those are on the back burner for a few months.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    • Threads: 211
    September 16th, 2021 at 11:26:01 AM permalink

This guy performed the due diligence on Aunt Millies Bread and it's the real thing. 1 actual carb per slice.

• link to original post

Although i never did it, my doctor said he ordered bread made in the supermarket bakery, made fresh without all the carbs. I don't know how the cost compares though. One drawback though is, it doesn't stay good very long because there is no preservative.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    DRich
    DRich
    September 16th, 2021 at 11:34:08 AM permalink

Although i never did it, my doctor said he ordered bread made in the supermarket bakery, made fresh without all the carbs. I don't know how the cost compares though. One drawback though is, it doesn't stay good very long because there is no preservative.

• link to original post

That is my problem with all bread. I probably only have one sandwich a month and when I want one the bread is bad. Now, to have a sandwich I must go to the store. That ruins the convenience of a sandwich.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 16th, 2021 at 12:46:12 PM permalink

9g total carbs per slice

- 1g Allulose per slice

= 0g Net Carbs per slice

• link to original post

It has zero net carbs because it has 9 grams of insoluble fiber.
    I eat Aunt Millie's 1 carb bread it has 12 grams of carb and 11
    grams of insoluble fiber. Eat two or three slices a day you will
    produce award-winning results in the regularity department.
    I .mean I am proud and astounded some days. LOL
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 16th, 2021 at 12:49:42 PM permalink

That is my problem with all bread. I probably only have one sandwich a month and when I want one the bread is bad. Now, to have a sandwich I must go to the store. That ruins the convenience of a sandwich.

• link to original post

This is why God invented freezers. Throw the entire loaf in the freezer when you get it and take it out one slice at a time. When I was a kid my mother bought 10 loaves of bread at once and threw them all in the deep freeze. We always had good bread on hand.
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    September 16th, 2021 at 3:58:53 PM permalink

• link to original post

Checked on the Aunt Millie's website and its not sold anywhere near where I live.

Of course, I do live in the high-carb southeast US.
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    September 16th, 2021 at 4:01:14 PM permalink
  • [/li
  • link to original post

Okay, pretend for a moment that I'm an idiot, and someone explain to me why a gram of insoluble fiber counts as -1 grams of carbohydrates.
    unJon
    unJon
    • Threads: 14
    September 16th, 2021 at 4:29:55 PM permalink

• [/li
  • link to original post

Okay, pretend for a moment that I'm an idiot, and someone explain to me why a gram of insoluble fiber counts as -1 grams of carbohydrates.
  • link to original post

Your body doesn’t digest it. It passes through your bowels.

It’s not negative one by itself. It’s 0. It counts as a carb but then gets subtracted to get to net carbs.
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
    MrV
    MrV
    • Threads: 364
    September 16th, 2021 at 5:27:28 PM permalink
    Gnawed on take out Chinese food tonight: green bean beef, shrimp in garlic sauce, white rice.

Very tasty.
    "What, me worry?"
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 16th, 2021 at 5:33:20 PM permalink
    Quote: unJon

[
    Your body doesn’t digest it. It passes through your bowels.

The insoluble gram of fiber has one gram of carb
    but because your body doesn't digest it it doesn't
    count. The fiber is the glue that holds the bread together.
    I make toast, French toast, croutons, turkey dressing,
    regular sandwiches with my 1 carb bread and I can't
    tell the difference between it and regular bread.
    And the guy who tested it in the video shows there was
    no glucose spike when he ate it. It costs 3 times as much
    as regular bread but if you're low carb it's worth it.
    DRich
    DRich
    September 16th, 2021 at 7:04:40 PM permalink

• link to original post

This is why God invented freezers. Throw the entire loaf in the freezer when you get it and take it out one slice at a time. When I was a kid my mother bought 10 loaves of bread at once and threw them all in the deep freeze. We always had good bread on hand.
  • link to original post

But I am not interested in eating a frozen sandwich. If it takes 30 minutes to thaw I might as well go to the store and get a new loaf. I never know more than 5 minutes before I want to eat that I am going to eat.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 16th, 2021 at 8:06:35 PM permalink

But I am not interested in eating a frozen sandwich. If it takes 30 minutes

Take two slices of bread out of the freezer 5 minutes before
    you make the sandwich and it will totally thaw at room temperature.
    I've done it hundreds of times. I usually put the frozen bread in the toaster
    cuz I much prefer toasted bread in a sandwich. A bologna or salami sandwich,
    a roast beef sandwich, an egg sandwich, a peanut butter sandwich, are
    all better on toast. I love a runny egg and onion sandwich on toasted bread.
    naotoyoshida64
    naotoyoshida64
    • Threads: 0
    September 17th, 2021 at 1:05:51 AM permalink
    Just some local fried noodles, and I loved it! It’s great to be partnered with rice.
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    September 17th, 2021 at 3:48:27 AM permalink

But I am not interested in eating a frozen sandwich. If it takes 30 minutes to thaw I might as well go to the store and get a new loaf. I never know more than 5 minutes before I want to eat that I am going to eat.

• link to original post

Toasters have been common for hundreds of years.
    The modern electric toaster can thaw and warm frozen bread slices in just a few minutes.

I believe thawing frozen bread is the general intent of the lowest setting on the toaster, the one that barely produces any browning and makes you wonder why anyone would bother warming over their bread. I think this setting also is recommended for toaster pastries.
    mcallister3200
    mcallister3200
    • Threads: 17
    September 17th, 2021 at 10:17:10 AM permalink
    Spoiling bread is the reason the Latin peoples invented tortillas. Or at least that’s the way I’m telling the story.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 17th, 2021 at 12:51:52 PM permalink
    Quote: mcallister3200

Spoiling bread is the reason the Latin peoples invented tortillas. Or at least that’s the way I’m telling the story.

• link to original post

They invented tortillas because all they had to work with was corn. Add water to cornmeal flatten it out and fry it.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 17th, 2021 at 1:04:49 PM permalink
    Native Americans were eating tortillas long before Europeans conquered them. When I was in Oaxaca I saw tortilla presses from before Christ was born. Until Europeans brought wheat over, all they had to work with was corn.
    mcallister3200
    mcallister3200
    • Threads: 17
    September 17th, 2021 at 1:10:05 PM permalink
    You guys are entitled to your story, I’m sticking to mine.
    • Jump to: