April 16th, 2022 at 6:59:36 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

_________

Elon Musk is trying to take over Twitter

I think his real goal is to be:

𝙆𝙞𝙉𝙂 𝙊𝙁 𝘼𝙈𝙀𝙍𝙄𝘾𝘼

link to original post

I doubt he thinks that small.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
April 16th, 2022 at 8:38:09 AM permalink

_________

𝙆𝙞𝙉𝙂 𝙊𝙁 𝘼𝙈𝙀𝙍𝙄𝘾𝘼

link to original post

He's just doing another pump and dump scheme. Or some other financial dodge. He doesn't care about owning Twitter. That's my theory, anyway. If he were to ever actually gain controlling interest or outright ownership, I bet the value would plummet overnight, and people would leave in droves.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 16th, 2022 at 9:03:07 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

_________

𝙆𝙞𝙉𝙂 𝙊𝙁 𝘼𝙈𝙀𝙍𝙄𝘾𝘼

link to original post

He's just doing another pump and dump scheme. Or some other financial dodge. He doesn't care about owning Twitter. That's my theory, anyway. If he were to ever actually gain controlling interest or outright ownership, I bet the value would plummet overnight, and people would leave in droves.
link to original post

A certain someone and his loyal fans have spent a lot of money attempting to start an alternative to twitter. Should Musk take over twitter and reverse that someones ban, I think it would destroy any reason for the alternative and flush all that money down the drain..
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
April 16th, 2022 at 10:30:21 AM permalink

according to google Musk is now worth $264 billion

if you were worth that would you care about making another $25 billion___________?????

not me

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 16, 2022
Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
April 16th, 2022 at 11:17:52 AM permalink

if you were worth that would you care about making another $25 billion___________?????

not me

link to original post

You might want to rethink that. Do you care about making 10% more than your net worth.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 16th, 2022 at 12:24:33 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

not me

link to original post

You might want to rethink that. Do you care about making 10% more than your net worth.
link to original post

Law of diminishing marginal returns.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 16th, 2022 at 12:31:01 PM permalink
I'm not Elon Musk, but 10% is 10%.
May the cards fall in your favor.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 16th, 2022 at 12:32:56 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

I'm not Elon Musk, but 10% is 10%.
link to original post

The Geddy Lee School of Economics.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 16th, 2022 at 12:48:11 PM permalink
Let's all try to steer this conversation clear of partisan politics, per the forum rules.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
April 16th, 2022 at 1:16:05 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

not me

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I don't see anything marginal about assuming control of one of the most used means of communication. I don't see this as an ego thing, I see it as he thinks he buy influence at a price he thinks is fair, while warning future competitors he isn't to be screwed with.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 16th, 2022 at 1:40:24 PM permalink

I don't see anything marginal about assuming control of one of the most used means of communication. I don't see this as an ego thing, I see it as he thinks he buy influence at a price he thinks is fair, while warning future competitors he isn't to be screwed with.
link to original post

I think he's just bored. Twitter is the shiny thing that's catching his eye right now. In a few months he'll be back to pushing for Mars, or trying to buy a sports team, or building a mountaintop castle or god knows what else. I think Elon is smart enough to know that Twitter is probably worthless in the long run. It could disappear entirely tomorrow and everyone could go on with their daily lives as if nothing happened. He's only doing this for some kind of (very) short-term gain.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 16th, 2022 at 1:51:54 PM permalink

Quote: unJon

not me

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Wrong definition of marginal. And your post is a 180 from the one I responded to.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 16th, 2022 at 2:08:45 PM permalink

let's all just pray that he doesn't try to do a takeover of WOV_______________________________(~:\

billryan
billryan
April 16th, 2022 at 2:26:38 PM permalink

let's all just pray that he doesn't try to do a takeover of WOV_______________________________(~:\

link to original post

The Wizard's Rapid Response Force would make short work of any incursion.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 16th, 2022 at 2:30:47 PM permalink

. I think Elon is smart enough to know that Twitter is probably worthless in the long run. It could disappear entirely tomorrow and everyone could go on with their daily lives as if nothing happened.
link to original post

I think you may be underestimating Twitter, although I'm not a fan either

the report I saw stated that it has 38 million U.S. users - that's more than 10% of the whole country

what happens on Twitter is often reported by the New York Times and the Washington Post

I think people love the brevity of it - they want to believe (very wrongly) that complicated issues have simple solutions

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 16th, 2022 at 2:43:00 PM permalink

link to original post

The Wizard's Rapid Response Force would make short work of any incursion.
link to original post

I, for one, welcome our new overlords.
I figure our pay will get tripled. Again.
May the cards fall in your favor.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 16th, 2022 at 3:40:44 PM permalink

. I think Elon is smart enough to know that Twitter is probably worthless in the long run. It could disappear entirely tomorrow and everyone could go on with their daily lives as if nothing happened.
link to original post

I think you may be underestimating Twitter, although I'm not a fan either

the report I saw stated that it has 38 million U.S. users - that's more than 10% of the whole country

what happens on Twitter is often reported by the New York Times and the Washington Post

I think people love the brevity of it - they want to believe (very wrongly) that complicated issues have simple solutions

link to original post

Oh, I know it's huge, I'm just saying its importance is insignificant relative to something like Amazon or Google or any number of a million other websites.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
April 17th, 2022 at 7:42:17 AM permalink

Oh, I know it's huge, I'm just saying its importance is insignificant relative to something like Amazon or Google or any number of a million other websites.
link to original post

The comparison, IMO, is apples and oranges. Twitter is "influence," conversation, and communication as opposed to sales or encyclopedic. Its "importance" is reflected by the users and how they are perceived by various outlets.

tuttigym
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 17th, 2022 at 8:03:50 AM permalink

not me

link to original post

I suppose you start thinking of buying islands, or funding a moon colony. Or playing Monopoly on a world scale.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 18th, 2022 at 4:24:20 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

not me

link to original post

I suppose you start thinking of buying islands, or funding a moon colony. Or playing Monopoly on a world scale.
link to original post

Funny you mention monopoly. Elon Musk doesn’t even own a house. Maybe not a hotel either!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 18th, 2022 at 5:37:33 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Funny you mention monopoly. Elon Musk doesn’t even own a house. Maybe not a hotel either!
link to original post

Where does Elon Musk live?

a) In his parents' basement

b) In a trailer down by the river

c) He is perpetually comped as the ultimate WHALE and stays in Vegas hotels

d) He's like Jack Reacher - he travels between towns, leaving a trail of bodies as he goes

e) He and Wizard are neighbors, living in tents on the site of this year's Burning Man.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
April 18th, 2022 at 5:56:09 AM permalink
Elon lives in a $50,000 tiny house-like unit. He bought into the company a year or so ago and has indicated he has high hopes for these pods as a wave of the future. How often he actually stays in it is open to conjecture.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
April 18th, 2022 at 7:20:56 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Where does Elon Musk live?

I'm gonna go with:
b) In a trailer van down by the river

"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 18th, 2022 at 8:25:34 AM permalink
(f) in an airstream park with alpaca’s like another eccentric, iconic, unpredictable entrepreneur (RIP)
(g) in one of the underground tunnels he built.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
April 18th, 2022 at 8:33:21 AM permalink
In a millionaires trailer park in Las Vegas.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 20th, 2022 at 5:03:48 AM permalink

looks like a pretty funny and very different movie I'm planning to see____________"The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent"

Nicholas Cage, who I've always liked, plays himself_________________Nick Cage__________________________(~:\

and gets involved with some typical Hollywood phony hangers on and others

rxwine
rxwine
April 21st, 2022 at 11:12:34 AM permalink
Today there is a clip out of Mike Tyson giving a quick pounding to an airline passenger who was annoying him on a flight.

I gotta admit I view this differently than the will smith slap. Tyson couldn’t just easily avoid him.

If you can find the longer clip, you get the context.

I hope they give minimum penalty to Tyson. At least from what I know so far.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
April 21st, 2022 at 12:48:32 PM permalink
A Judge in Arizona just ruled that Law Enforcement is not a profession.

A little background. Arizona has a Council that works with the Governor when it comes to Death Penalty cases. While the Gov. can pardon people on Death Row or commute their sentences, the Council is supposed to study cases and pass along their recommendations.
State Law calls for this committee to have five members, and the members are to be from different professions.
Gov. Ducey has appointed three people to the board and the fifth spot is empty so there are currently only four members. An inmate sued because three of the four members are retired police officers which seems to be against the state law.
The Judge ruled that being a Police Officer, or any job in Law Enforcement is not a profession. He went on to say that even though two members are retired from the Phoenix Police Department, attended the same training classes, got paid from the same source, receive pensions from the same employer, and belonged to the same union, they can be on the Committee since neither had a true profession, only a job.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 21st, 2022 at 3:23:20 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Today there is a clip out of Mike Tyson giving a quick pounding to an airline passenger who was annoying him on a flight.

I gotta admit I view this differently than the will smith slap. Tyson couldn’t just easily avoid him.

If you can find the longer clip, you get the context.

I hope they give minimum penalty to Tyson. At least from what I know so far.
link to original post

Yeah, I watched the clip, too, and just from what I've seen, I hope Tyson gets a slap on the wrist, if anything. The guy didn't seem like he was hurt that bad, anyway, since he was mugging for the camera afterwards. What kind of fool instigates Mike Tyson?
billryan
billryan
April 21st, 2022 at 4:23:57 PM permalink
He didn't start it but the FAA is supposed to have zero tolerance for things like this. I'm surprised he doesn't have a guy to handle these sorts of things.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 21st, 2022 at 5:06:22 PM permalink

I'm surprised he doesn't have a guy to handle these sorts of things.

Gotta wonder if old "Iron Mike Tyson" can still afford to pay a body guard; I can think of few other public figures who pissed away so much money so quickly as he did.

link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3C4pWwDqps
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
April 21st, 2022 at 5:56:56 PM permalink
Tyson makes a living making appearances, and he isn't cheap. While he certainly pissed away the fortune from his boxing career, he's had a few runs on Broadway, and his one-man show tours well. If he is put on the no-fly list, his income will suffer.
rxwine
rxwine
April 21st, 2022 at 6:48:59 PM permalink
Tyson could sit home and make money from services like Cameo. Who are these people? I had to go down 4 rows before I was sure I recognized someone. https://www.cameo.com/browse/actors

BTW, that gave me an idea for a business. (But feel free to steal it)

Step 1, Legally acquire a business name. But make sure it sounds like a personal name, you know like Calvin Klein or Ben & Jerrys.

Step 2 Spend a couple thousand hiring these people. Hey Drew Brees, can you please say this about me yada yada yada.

Step 3 Start your business online with these personal endorsements fronting.it.

Step 4 Profit

Step 5 Get sued.

Step 6, make sure you hid your money in offshore account.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 22nd, 2022 at 6:26:29 AM permalink
I hope Tyson gets the same treatment as anyone else would and it isn't influenced by his being a celebrity.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 22nd, 2022 at 8:09:18 AM permalink
Some more details are trickling out... the guy that was harassing Tyson throughout the flight apparently threw a water bottle at him, and that is what instigated the punching. Furthermore, the guy that was beat up is reportedly refusing to cooperate with the police in the investigation. Sounds like he sobered up pretty quickly and realized what a jackass he was being.
DRich
DRich
April 22nd, 2022 at 9:17:19 AM permalink

Some more details are trickling out... the guy that was harassing Tyson throughout the flight apparently threw a water bottle at him, and that is what instigated the punching. Furthermore, the guy that was beat up is reportedly refusing to cooperate with the police in the investigation. Sounds like he sobered up pretty quickly and realized what a jackass he was being.
link to original post

I bet we still see a civil lawsuit over this.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 22nd, 2022 at 2:56:17 PM permalink
Anybody else noticed this recent trend of people turning their cars off at stoplights? This is something I've noticed within the last year or so. I'll be sitting at a stoplight, the light turns green, and I'll hear someone start their car up. This happens maybe once every 2 weeks or so, and I first noticed it within the last year, maybe. These aren't excessively long stoplights on super busy roads, either... just average stoplights on average streets. Why are people turning off their cars to sit at a stoplight for 20 seconds?
DRich
DRich
April 22nd, 2022 at 3:01:37 PM permalink

Anybody else noticed this recent trend of people turning their cars off at stoplights? This is something I've noticed within the last year or so. I'll be sitting at a stoplight, the light turns green, and I'll hear someone start their car up. This happens maybe once every 2 weeks or so, and I first noticed it within the last year, maybe. These aren't excessively long stoplights on super busy roads, either... just average stoplights on average streets. Why are people turning off their cars to sit at a stoplight for 20 seconds?
link to original post

Many newer cars do that automatically to save fuel. My Honda CRV does that.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 22nd, 2022 at 3:13:27 PM permalink
I think every hybrid does that. All Prius do even the 15+ year old ones.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 22nd, 2022 at 3:35:05 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I bet we still see a civil lawsuit over this.

If there is video / evidence that the guy threw a water bottle at Tyson then yes, I can see Tyson suing for assault, either initially or as a counterclaim if the other guy sues him first.

Much ado about nothing, the putz got smacked by the champ, he got what he deserved and now will be a minor celebrity at his local bar.
"What, me worry?"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 24th, 2022 at 12:43:23 PM permalink

on MDawg's thread he posted a clip from the movie "Run Lola Run"

I had forgotten about that movie___________and it's a great one imo

Lola's got to get $100K for her main squeeze____________real fast_________________________or its lights out for the dude

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 30th, 2022 at 12:21:49 PM permalink

many years ago, I opened an online wagering account for horse racing - it was just after this became available - I used youbet.com who sold out to somebody

anyway, my PC went down and I went to the library to use their PCs

I got real into a race and I forgot I was in the library

I rose up out of my chair and started yelling__________𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐮𝐩 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 4 𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞___________𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐮𝐩 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 4 𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞

patrons started looking at me, and then I realized where I was and got a sheepish look on my face

☺___________♥♦♣♠

rxwine
rxwine
April 30th, 2022 at 3:45:24 PM permalink
Tornados in the news. What do you think the odds are a tornado would destroy your home after you rebuild?
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
April 30th, 2022 at 6:56:20 PM permalink

Quote: DRich

I would assume criminals are killing many more than that. How many criminals a year assault police?

you're comparing criminals to police officers

Hey Rooster, what do you call a CHINESE GUY with a ROOSTER?
aahigh.com
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 1st, 2022 at 12:12:32 AM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

Hey Rooster, what do you call a CHINESE GUY with a ROOSTER?

link to original post

hey Ahigh___________I think I know the answer but I don't think it will get by the WOV censors so I'll just pass

go ahead and post the answer, maybe I'm wrong and they'll let it fly

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 2nd, 2022 at 10:22:03 AM permalink
Didn't want to start a new thread....

Driving to golf Saturday morning my local sports radio station sells its time to a sports betting tout. The tout blab on about his 80% win rate, great money management tools, etc.... But Saturday was the absolute winner of all time!!!!

"Today I have the all time best NBA pick. It have a team that will beat the spread on a game played today by at least FIFTEEN points! Just call my hotline and sign up today. You'll get my full year service, an EIGHT THOUSAND dollar value for just $500."

There were no NBA games scheduled that day.....
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 2nd, 2022 at 11:32:34 AM permalink

Driving to golf Saturday morning my local sports radio station sells its time to a sports betting tout. The tout blab on about his 80% win rate, great money management tools, etc.... But Saturday was the absolute winner of all time!!!!

"Today I have the all time best NBA pick. It have a team that will beat the spread on a game played today by at least FIFTEEN points! Just call my hotline and sign up today. You'll get my full year service, an EIGHT THOUSAND dollar value for just $500."

link to original post

I know you've been doing OK with your betting, but how can you afford to throw away $7500 like that!?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
May 2nd, 2022 at 12:25:33 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

link to original post

I know you've been doing OK with your betting, but how can you afford to throw away $7500 like that!?
link to original post

I know what he is doing. He is posting it here because he gets a $1000 kick back for any WOV member that signs up. That is why Soopoo is wealthy.
TigerWu
TigerWu
May 2nd, 2022 at 12:37:13 PM permalink

link to original post

Not really surprising.... It was a prerecorded commercial, and they probably paid for it to play a whole bunch, regardless of whether any games were on that day or not. It's just to get their name out there. I've heard/seen local commercials advertising for events that have already happened, but it still makes you aware of the company.
  • Jump to: