Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 233
February 5th, 2022 at 1:44:53 PM permalink

I've given up 7-eleven hot dogs but I still visit fairly often for their coffee - which btw is very good

anyway, many times I've seen very brazen shoplifters walk out with stuff - they don't even seem to try to disguise what they're doing

I've never seen an employee challenge them or even seem to be looking or caring

I actually believe the chain has a policy of not confronting shoplifters and many of the shoplifters know it

of course, they don't make this policy public

Please don't feed the trolls
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 12th, 2022 at 1:38:22 AM permalink

I got pfished

I went to a search engine to get one of my banks and clicked a link to sign on but couldn't get on

at first, I thought I had the wrong user name and PW - and they asked for some personal info

I gave them some - hopefully not enough

then I realized, that's not what happened - it was a copy of my bank's web page - it wasn't actually their page

I thought I was sharp enough that this wouldn't ever happen to me - I guess I was wrong

in other news the IRS has a huge backlog - they say due to Covid and employees working for home without full access to records
refunds are getting delayed

Tax season threatened by previously unreported IRS backlog of 24 million returns. - The Washington Post

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 12, 2022
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 12th, 2022 at 6:04:53 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

in other news the IRS has a huge backlog - they say due to Covid and employees working for home without full access to records
refunds are getting delayed

Tax season threatened by previously unreported IRS backlog of 24 million returns. - The Washington Post

link to original post

Last year was the first time in 30 years that I got an IRS refund and I didn't get it until October despite filing in February. Just this week they sent me a check for the interest for holding it for so long.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
odiousgambit
February 12th, 2022 at 9:18:20 AM permalink
It seems the easiest thing to do is to shift the deadlines so not everyone files at the same time. Spread it out so you file your taxes during your birthday month or by a digit in your SS #. There is no reason why 300 million people all have to file by the same deadline.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 14th, 2022 at 3:22:16 AM permalink

fascinating story - to me anyway - of how a Carvana robot bought this guy's 7 year old used car for more than he paid for it new in 2014

part of the reason used car prices are spiking is because new car prices are spiking even more - partially because of a chip shortage - and of course inflation is a beast that's messing with us every day that we buy anything

https://www.theverge.com/22923871/carvana-pandemic-used-car-prices-sold-online-chip-shortage

DRich
DRich
February 14th, 2022 at 6:25:29 AM permalink

fascinating story - to me anyway - of how a Carvana robot bought this guy's 7 year old used car for more than he paid for it new in 2014

part of the reason used car prices are spiking is because new car prices are spiking even more - partially because of a chip shortage - and of course inflation is a beast that's messing with us every day that we buy anything

https://www.theverge.com/22923871/carvana-pandemic-used-car-prices-sold-online-chip-shortage

link to original post

I sold two leased cars last year and got much more than I owed on both of them.
billryan
billryan
February 14th, 2022 at 7:30:44 AM permalink
I'm planning on selling my BMW next month and am pretty optimistic about what I might get for it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
February 14th, 2022 at 7:32:17 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm planning on selling my BMW next month and am pretty optimistic about what I might get for it.
link to original post

If it is only a couple years old I expect you will do quite well.
billryan
billryan
February 14th, 2022 at 8:14:01 AM permalink
It's a 2008 but it only has 43,000 miles on it, with all it's records. It was previously owned by a Senior Citizen who only used it to drive to Emerald Island twice a week. He faithfully changed the oil every six months, even with less than 1,000 miles in between.
It sits really low and it got too hard for him to get out of it. It is a pain in the neck.
DRich
DRich
February 14th, 2022 at 8:28:58 AM permalink

It's a 2008 but it only has 43,000 miles on it, with all it's records. It was previously owned by a Senior Citizen who only used it to drive to Emerald Island twice a week. He faithfully changed the oil every six months, even with less than 1,000 miles in between.
It sits really low and it got too hard for him to get out of it. It is a pain in the neck.
link to original post

I know the 2008 BMW M1 sits very low. If that is what it is you will probably do very well.
billryan
billryan
February 14th, 2022 at 8:57:27 AM permalink
I bought it and a bunch of art from the owner for $15,000 and got $12,000 for some of the art so I figure I'm into the car for $3,000 plus maybe 2K I've put into it. I still have some of the art- they are small Peter Max lithos he then drew squiggles on so each is unique.
He is now in his mid 80s and doesn't live a very healthy lifestyle so .....
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
February 19th, 2022 at 10:23:23 AM permalink
Seems gambling related. But not in a good way.

Quote:

More than 1,000 rodents were found inside a Family Dollar distribution facility in Arkansas, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced Friday as the chain issued a voluntary recall affecting items purchased from hundreds of stores in the South.

No one should be subjected to products stored in the kind of unacceptable conditions that we found in this Family Dollar distribution facility,” said Associate Commissioner for Regulatory Affairs Judith McMeekin.

The FDA said it is working with Family Dollar to begin a voluntary recall of affected products.

Those products include human food, pet food, dietary supplements, cosmetics, medical devices and over-the-counter medications

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 19th, 2022 at 11:55:59 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Seems gambling related. But not in a good way.

Quote:

Those products include human food, pet food, dietary supplements, cosmetics, medical devices and over-the-counter medications

link to original post

(edited and emphasized)

Dollar store medical devices does indeed sound like gambling.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
February 19th, 2022 at 2:10:58 PM permalink
In a lot of small towns, the Dollar Store and a gas station or two are the only shopping options.
DRich
DRich
February 19th, 2022 at 2:23:28 PM permalink
The city I live in in Florida probably has 100 dollar stores. It is unbelievable.
billryan
billryan
February 19th, 2022 at 2:36:12 PM permalink
There are two in Bisbee, across the street from each other. If you head east, there are two right next to each other about halfway to the next town, Sierra Vista. It must suck to have to drive forty miles to buy fresh produce.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 19th, 2022 at 2:48:47 PM permalink

In a lot of small towns, the Dollar Store and a gas station or two are the only shopping options.
link to original post

Indeed. I am a bit of a connoiseur of the various dollar stores.

Despite not being a preteen girl, I do find a surprising number of useful items at five below.

No matter. I wasn't too proud to shop at Woolworth's or Ben Franklin; the modern day dollar store fills the same market niche.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 19th, 2022 at 3:04:20 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

I wasn't too proud to shop at Woolworth's

Ah, traipsing down memory lane ... my first job was as a janitor at Woolworth's, part time, in tenth grade.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
February 19th, 2022 at 5:18:23 PM permalink
We called our old Woolworth's "Dime stores". The older ones had a little dining section. Wiki list.

Quote:

Ben Franklin Stores
Butler Brothers
Duckwall-ALCO
G. C. Murphy
H. L. Green
J. G. McCrory's
J. J. Newberry's
John's Bargain Store
McLellan Stores
Morgan and Lindsey
Neisner's
S. H. Kress & Co.
S. S. Kresge Co.
Sprouse-Reitz
TG&Y
Walton's Five and Dime
W. T. Grant
Woolworth's

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2022 at 7:21:13 AM permalink
My Grandmothers' town( actually just an NYC neighborhood) had a 5 and 10, and a Super five and dime. The first one was Woolworths and they had a lunch counter. The lunch counter offered banana splits where you picked a ballon and paid the price inside the ballon. I once got one for a penny or maybe a nickel. Whatever it was, it was the lowest possible price, no one else had ever gotten one that cheap in my circle of friends and I was a bit of a legend for it, although I expect it is mostly forgotten these days.
The Woolworths is long gone and the building was subdivided into smaller shops, while the Super 5 and dime changed it's names to Super Bargain Town or something and was still operating the last time I was there in 2017.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 20th, 2022 at 8:29:19 AM permalink

the Woolworths near me sold birds in cages

you'd walk down the aisles and you'd hear them singing

billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2022 at 8:37:22 AM permalink
The one I frequented had a fish and bird department. I don't think they sold any other animals.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 26th, 2022 at 3:50:35 AM permalink

watching gas prices close in on $4.00 per gallon - it's at $3.81 near me

google probably wrongly says the highest ever was $3.62 in 2012

wondering if and when they'll hit $5.00 per gallon

and if the Feds will bring in strong anti inflationary measures before that - price controls or more likely raising interest rates

inflation is getting really bad IMO

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 28th, 2022 at 7:29:30 AM permalink

Corporations are gleeful about it - they plan to continue to raise prices - they call it branding - they think consumers don't care and are willing to pay whatever

put the headline into google then click the link to beat the paywall

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/27/business/economy/price-increases-inflation.html

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 28th, 2022 at 11:50:26 AM permalink
Gotta wonder to what degree this will impact habits; presumably high prices will encourage all but the well-heeled to drive less.

Wow, if being able to fill your tank becomes a status symbol we're screwed; until now affordable private transportation and fuel has been one of our society's few "equalizers."

Might even get bad enough that fuel trucks get high-jacked and fuel sold on the black market, but not at the four buck level, methinks.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
March 5th, 2022 at 9:44:25 AM permalink
Last year I went to one of the TV advertised sites to do my "free" taxes preparation. It didn't support anything but a simple format. This year, I went to the IRS site first, and found that they provide the tax preparation sites that go beyond the simple tax form.

Lesson learned.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
March 5th, 2022 at 12:21:45 PM permalink

watching gas prices close in on $4.00 per gallon - it's at $3.81 near me

google probably wrongly says the highest ever was $3.62 in 2012

wondering if and when they'll hit $5.00 per gallon

and if the Feds will bring in strong anti inflationary measures before that - price controls or more likely raising interest rates

link to original post

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the highest national average price ever was July 2008 at $4.11, which in 2022 dollars is $5.37.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 5th, 2022 at 12:40:56 PM permalink
Went up around 15% within a week near me AFTER lilred’s recent post.

I wonder what happened shortly after’08 last time… perhaps .they’ve fixed that flaw in our national financial multi level marketing scheme since then though.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
odiousgambit
March 5th, 2022 at 1:32:21 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Last year I went to one of the TV advertised sites to do my "free" taxes preparation. It didn't support anything but a simple format. This year, I went to the IRS site first, and found that they provide the tax preparation sites that go beyond the simple tax form.

Lesson learned.
link to original post

I am a huge believer in T.urboTax. For most people it is free unless you have complicated taxes and it is so easy to use that I can't understand why anyone takes their taxes to an H&R Block style place. Either do them yourselves or get a CPA.
rxwine
rxwine
March 9th, 2022 at 6:07:10 AM permalink
How much coffee is too much?

Quote:

Tom Mansfield, 29, bought a 100g (3.5 oz) bag of caffeine powder from Blackburn Distributions, a British sports supplements company, according to BBC News.

The recommended dose of caffeine powder, which is often used by gymgoers to aid their performance, was between 60 300mg (0.002 and 0.01 oz).

But Mansfield's digital scale had a starting weight of 2g (0.07 oz), and the product did not come with a measuring scoop.

The father-of-two from Colwyn Bay, Wales, miscalculated his measurement and scooped up to 5g (0.2 oz) of the powder, the inquest heard.

Coroner John Gittins said Manfield had been aiming for the "mid-range of the recommended dose," but "he got his maths wrong," per BBC.

Mansfield took a sip of the mixture before downing the rest of the drink on January 5, 2021, the media outlet said.

The inquest heard that he began clutching his chest and complaining that his heart was beating fast, BBC News reported. Minutes later, the media outlet said, he started foaming at the mouth.

Paramedics arrived at his home and tried to resuscitate him for 45 minutes before pronouncing him

A post-mortem examination showed Mansfield had caffeine levels of 392mg per liter of blood, per BBC News. A typical coffee produces 2 to 4 mg per liter, meaning that he consumed the equivalent of up to 200 cups.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 9th, 2022 at 6:10:39 AM permalink
As someone who used to use 1.2g-1.6g of caffeine pills per day, I can say that 5g would be a lot.

so many people are paranoid about cell network upgrades?
billryan
billryan
March 9th, 2022 at 6:19:31 AM permalink
Back in college, there was always someone in a dorm that ordered those "legal speed" pills that were advertised in the back of magazines. One of my straight shooter friends decided a half dozen or so would somehow help him enjoy the Stones concert at Ritchie Stadium and when they didn't kick in fast enough, he took another handful. I ended up babysitting him in the men's room as he evacuated every piece of gum he swallowed as a kid.
Last edited by: billryan on Mar 9, 2022
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 9th, 2022 at 8:33:45 AM permalink

anybody who thinks that because a drug is over the counter that it's not strong is dead wrong
that stuff that was discontinued - "Dexatrim" - the active ingredient - phenylpropanolomine - was voluntarily taken off the market by manufacturers after an FDA warning. it was really strong - it messed me up good when I was dieting
there's quite a bit of OTC stuff that does the job for druggies when they can't get the fix they want - they end up taking huge doses of the stuff and not only does the active ingredient mess them up but so does that much of the inactive ingredients

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 9, 2022
billryan
billryan
March 9th, 2022 at 8:51:51 AM permalink
In the early 1980s, little yellow bottles called poppers were very popular in NYC nite clubs. Then the federal government somehow banned them and they all but disappeared. The company that made them rebranded them as a VCR head cleaner solution and even though few places still sell VCRs, you can still find the head cleaner in many bodegas.
billryan
billryan
March 9th, 2022 at 9:05:56 AM permalink
Can anyone explain this math to me?

I'm taking blood pressure medicine and it is supposed to be taken with food. Previously I was taking it twice a day but now they upped it to three times.
Here is the thing- at twice a day, I took it when I woke up and then took the second pill about 12 hours later so I had 24-hour protection.
The new schedule has me taking it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I'm in effect taking three pills in about 12 hours and then nothing for 12 hours. This doesn't seem right. All my other medicines are taken with breakfast.
DRich
DRich
March 9th, 2022 at 1:46:31 PM permalink

I'm taking blood pressure medicine and it is supposed to be taken with food. Previously I was taking it twice a day but now they upped it to three times.
Here is the thing- at twice a day, I took it when I woke up and then took the second pill about 12 hours later so I had 24-hour protection.
The new schedule has me taking it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I'm in effect taking three pills in about 12 hours and then nothing for 12 hours. This doesn't seem right. All my other medicines are taken with breakfast.
link to original post

Probably because blood pressure usually drops at night when you are sleeping. I take two BP pills. One is once a day and the other is twice a day. After 20 years of extremely high BP, I think they found the rights meds for me. It seems like I have tried every BP medicine over the last 20 years. One of them I am taking now lowers my systolic by about 70 points.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
March 9th, 2022 at 2:03:51 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

One of them I am taking now lowers my systolic by about 70 points.
link to original post

Which one is that? I take two BP meds. The most recent research on BP meds regarding when to take them is before you go to sleep at night. The research suggests that the meds are more effective when sleeping.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 10th, 2022 at 8:12:57 AM permalink

gas by me just spiked up from $4.01 to $4.40 - almost 10%______________𝗶𝗻 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝟮 𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀

DRich
DRich
March 10th, 2022 at 9:03:46 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

Which one is that? I take two BP meds. The most recent research on BP meds regarding when to take them is before you go to sleep at night. The research suggests that the meds are more effective when sleeping.

tuttigym
link to original post

I believe it is called Nifedipine 90mg
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 10th, 2022 at 12:59:40 PM permalink

𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙢𝙮𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙮

at least it's a mystery to me..............I'm sure some can explain it
I haven't got a clue

here we go:

9*5=45.......................add up the digits - 4+5=9

9*8=72.......................add up the digits - 7+2=9

9*7=63.......................add up the digits - 6+3=9

9*17=153...................add up the digits - 1+5+3 =9

9*77=693...................add up the digits - 6+9+3 and get 18............then add up those digits..............1+8=9

9*4,796=43,164..........add up the digits 4+3+1+6+4 and get 18......then add up those digits...............1+8=9

9*104,675 = 942,075.........add up the digits..........9+4+2+0+7+5 and get 27...........then add up those digits..............2+7=9

9*5,327,894 = 47,951,046...........add up the digits .........4+7+9+5+1+0+4+6 and get 36............then add up those digits.................3+6=9

remember the Beatles track "Revolution 9"

and the lyrics..................

"number nine - number nine - number nine - number nine"

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 10th, 2022 at 8:41:05 PM permalink

link to original post

Great question! I asked the same question 35+ years ago in residency. The answer given was unsatisfying. I was told that q8h (every 8 hours) was preferable to tid (3 times a day) but few patients could follow an ‘every 8 hour’ schedule, so most drugs are prescribed tid. I really doubt it matters much.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 11th, 2022 at 2:13:14 AM permalink

in '95 I was working for Levitz Furniture, a pretty big chain that in its' heyday had at least 80 very large stores throughout the Northeast - (Levitz no longer exists)

one morning I showed up for work to hear shocking news

Jacquline Levitz, the wife of the deceased owner, an heiress worth tens of millions of $ has disappeared

she was never found - incredible story - to me, anyway

https://edition.cnn.com/2002/LAW/11/11/ctv.levitz/

tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
March 11th, 2022 at 10:10:53 AM permalink

Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

I believe it is called Nifedipine 90mg
link to original post

Thanks that is one of the two I am taking, and it is helping.

tuttigym
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 11th, 2022 at 2:05:49 PM permalink

𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙢𝙮𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙮

at least it's a mystery to me..............I'm sure some can explain it
I haven't got a clue

here we go:

9*5=45.......................add up the digits - 4+5=9

link to original post

(trimmed)

I know it's a numeric peculiarity related to base 10.

Similar interesting things happen for 7 when working in base 8 and F (decimal 15) when working in base 16.

I believe it works in base n for n-1, although it's not seemingly useful in unary or binary.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 12th, 2022 at 2:00:31 PM permalink

the decision to reset the clocks by one hour for the Fall and Spring was a real dumb one IMO

all they had to do was split the difference and put it on the half hour - and leave it that way all year long

what's the big deal?

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 12th, 2022 at 2:08:29 PM permalink

the decision to reset the clocks by one hour for the Fall and Spring was a real dumb one IMO

all they had to do was split the difference and put it on the half hour - and leave it that way all year long

what's the big deal?

link to original post

I think they were just being trolls trying to rile everyone up about losing an hour of sleep once a year. And it was brilliant from that perspective.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
Hunterhill
March 12th, 2022 at 2:48:37 PM permalink

in '95 I was working for Levitz Furniture, a pretty big chain that in its' heyday had at least 80 very large stores throughout the Northeast - (Levitz no longer exists)

one morning I showed up for work to hear shocking news

Jacquline Levitz, the wife of the deceased owner, an heiress worth tens of millions of $ has disappeared

she was never found - incredible story - to me, anyway

https://edition.cnn.com/2002/LAW/11/11/ctv.levitz/

link to original post

Did she fall down the back of the Sofa?

Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 12th, 2022 at 4:58:53 PM permalink

what's the big deal?

link to original post

I've begun to suspect municipalities push for it, they save money with the street lights I think. Every other person I've ever talked to doesn't want it. Yeah, even golfers etc.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
March 12th, 2022 at 9:29:42 PM permalink
It is a pain in the ass in Arizona as we don't switch times. With the clock going ahead an hour elsewhere, I need to adjust my schedule for everything out of state while keeping the in-state ones the same.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 13th, 2022 at 11:31:15 AM permalink

last month a Las Vegas Police Officer was caught running away after he robbed the Rio sportsbook with his Police Department issued gun

he had robbed other casinos as well

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/las-vegas-officer-accused-robbing-casino-department-issued-gun-rcna19773

• Jump to: