AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14073
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
May 17th, 2024 at 2:47:32 AM permalink
Iconic Mirage casino in Las Vegas closing, rebranding with guitar-shaped Hard Rock Hotel

I do not see if it will be imploded or not, but at 34 years old it is young to go even by Vegas standards.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 334
Joined: Mar 15, 2013
Thanked by
Slotenthusiast
May 17th, 2024 at 5:45:55 AM permalink
Tits are good, but the most important thing is the soul.
Slotenthusiast
Slotenthusiast
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 80
Joined: May 10, 2023
May 17th, 2024 at 6:09:35 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Iconic Mirage casino in Las Vegas closing, rebranding with guitar-shaped Hard Rock Hotel

I do not see if it will be imploded or not, but at 34 years old it is young to go even by Vegas standards.
link to original post



Theyíre keeping the original tower as a cheaper option for guests. The Guitar Tower will be all suites and more expensive. The Guitar Tower will sit directly where the volcano is located.

I welcome the changes. The new casino floor will double the square footage and add 1200 machines for a total of 2000. There will also be 200+ table games compared to 51.

If itís anything like the one in South Florida it will be significantly better than anything currently on the strip.
Slotenthusiast
Slotenthusiast
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 80
Joined: May 10, 2023
May 17th, 2024 at 6:13:53 AM permalink
Details in the pic



https://ibb.co/rZdkkY4
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 7532
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
May 17th, 2024 at 6:34:41 AM permalink
I remember driving by this at the very end of the 90s, although I never went inside.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2001/aug/14/finding-closure-at-the-maxim/


https://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2002_3rd/Sept02_Maxim.html

It was actually pretty modern looking.

Who remembers the Maxim now? Will someday the Mirage be like that, unknown and forgotten?

Or, more like the Landmark.


Unknown, but not necessarily forgotten.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11086
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
May 17th, 2024 at 7:36:28 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I remember driving by this at the very end of the 90s, although I never went inside.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2001/aug/14/finding-closure-at-the-maxim/


https://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2002_3rd/Sept02_Maxim.html

It was actually pretty modern looking.

Who remembers the Maxim now? Will someday the Mirage be like that, unknown and forgotten?

Or, more like the Landmark.


Unknown, but not necessarily forgotten.
link to original post



I stayed at the Maxim once. Canít remember the details but got upgraded to a suite. It was bizarre, with a sunken floor compared to where the bed was. I thought it was better than a regular room because it was bigger, but it seemed like whoever designed it was impaired.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14073
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
May 17th, 2024 at 9:27:17 AM permalink
Quote: Slotenthusiast

Quote: AZDuffman

Iconic Mirage casino in Las Vegas closing, rebranding with guitar-shaped Hard Rock Hotel

I do not see if it will be imploded or not, but at 34 years old it is young to go even by Vegas standards.
link to original post



Theyíre keeping the original tower as a cheaper option for guests. The Guitar Tower will be all suites and more expensive. The Guitar Tower will sit directly where the volcano is located.

I welcome the changes. The new casino floor will double the square footage and add 1200 machines for a total of 2000. There will also be 200+ table games compared to 51.

If itís anything like the one in South Florida it will be significantly better than anything currently on the strip.
link to original post



Sounds like another Disneyland casino. Too big for my tastes. But that seems to be where the market is headed.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 1373
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
May 17th, 2024 at 11:45:11 AM permalink
Sad to hear the Mirage is going away because it seems like such an iconic Vegas casino, but so was the Sands, the Stardust, the Desert Inn, etc etc.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 645
  • Posts: 4349
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
May 17th, 2024 at 12:30:24 PM permalink
Don't understand why Hard Rock is completely closing the location for 3 yrs to do this?

Couldn't they keep some of it open to get some revenue at this prime mid-strip location?
At the very least, keep the profitable Beatles show going?

Also, can't believe Casino Royale outlasted Mirage, the most expensive casino when it opened in 1989 @ $630M. :o
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14073
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
May 17th, 2024 at 12:52:51 PM permalink
For the fellow numbers nerds out there:

$630 million to build.
Open 12656 days.*
Rounds to $50,000 per day it was open in construction costs. Double that to account for interest. $100,000 per day.
Assuming an average 20% hold that means they needed guests to drop half a million per day just to cover those costs.**

*This does not back out days closed due to virus shutdown.
**Yes, I know there was all kinds of other revenue other than gaming. If you want to be that guy go get your wife, Karen, and find neighbors with HOA violations, Chad.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11892
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
May 17th, 2024 at 6:32:26 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg



Who remembers the Maxim now? Will someday the Mirage be like that, unknown and forgotten?



I remember going to the Maxim many times although I have no idea why.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 645
  • Posts: 4349
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
May 17th, 2024 at 6:52:31 PM permalink
If Hard Rock was going to just demolish the place and start from scratch, why not just buy the empty former New Frontier casino site slightly up the block?
It's been sitting empty for ~20yrs
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Slotenthusiast
Slotenthusiast
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 80
Joined: May 10, 2023
May 17th, 2024 at 8:51:34 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

If Hard Rock was going to just demolish the place and start from scratch, why not just buy the empty former New Frontier casino site slightly up the block?
It's been sitting empty for ~20yrs
link to original post



The only thing they are completely demolishing is the volcano. The rest they are renovating.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 645
  • Posts: 4349
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
May 17th, 2024 at 10:40:43 PM permalink
Quote: Slotenthusiast

Quote: 100xOdds

If Hard Rock was going to just demolish the place and start from scratch, why not just buy the empty former New Frontier casino site slightly up the block?
It's been sitting empty for ~20yrs
link to original post


The only thing they are completely demolishing is the volcano. The rest they are renovating.
link to original post


Wait, what?
Why shutdown everything for 3 yrs if it's just a renovation?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Slotenthusiast
Slotenthusiast
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 80
Joined: May 10, 2023
May 17th, 2024 at 10:50:09 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Quote: Slotenthusiast

Quote: 100xOdds

If Hard Rock was going to just demolish the place and start from scratch, why not just buy the empty former New Frontier casino site slightly up the block?
It's been sitting empty for ~20yrs
link to original post


The only thing they are completely demolishing is the volcano. The rest they are renovating.
link to original post


Wait, what?
Why shutdown everything for 3 yrs if it's just a renovation?
link to original post



The area where they will be constructing the hotel will literally be right in front of the current entrance. There will be no way to get inside. They will also likely be removing the valet area and front desk area and making a new entrance.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5636
Joined: May 23, 2016
May 18th, 2024 at 8:18:00 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds


Wait, what?
Why shutdown everything for 3 yrs if it's just a renovation?
link to original post



It's not just a renovation. It sounds like they are just about going to gut it and redo everything.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 7532
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
May 18th, 2024 at 10:47:46 AM permalink
You practically need a flowchart these days to figure out who owns the property, who runs the casino - but although I believe the Seminole tribe owns the Hard Rock name, the Hard Rock Tahoe was owned and run as a Hard Rock casino by Paragon Gaming from 2015 to 2023, without its being shut down for very long, just from March 2014, until January 2015, after a $60M renovation.

By comparison, Seminole will pay approximately $80 million in severance packages alone for eligible union and non-union employees remaining with the property through cessation of operations, with that $80M having nothing to do with renovation.

Previous renovation plans announced in December 2022, included adding 800 to 1,000 hotel rooms, renovating the existing rooms and suites, renovating the casino floor to include 1,800 slot machines and 200 table games, renovating and expanding event and meeting space, and adding nearly 3,000 theater seats.

The plans now include doing much more?

Here is Steve Weinberg opening the Mirage in 1989, thirty years before he got the boot from Wynn for sexual harassment.



https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gaming-business/wynn/33790-steve-wynn-getting-the-boot-from-his-own-casinos-and-stripped-of-gaming-license/
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 4921
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
May 18th, 2024 at 11:00:04 AM permalink
American Bandstand 1967 Ė Mirage, Tommy James and the Shondells
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4167
Joined: Sep 2, 2016
May 18th, 2024 at 11:01:46 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

You practically need a flowchart these days to figure out who owns the property, who runs the casino - but although I believe the Seminole tribe owns the Hard Rock name, the Hard Rock Tahoe was owned and run as a Hard Rock casino by Paragon Gaming from 2015 to 2023, without its being shut down for very long, just from March 2014, until January 2015, after a $60M renovation.

By comparison, Seminole will pay approximately $80 million in severance packages alone for eligible union and non-union employees remaining with the property through cessation of operations, with that $80M having nothing to do with renovation.

Previous renovation plans announced in December 2022, included adding 800 to 1,000 hotel rooms, renovating the existing rooms and suites, renovating the casino floor to include 1,800 slot machines and 200 table games, renovating and expanding event and meeting space, and adding nearly 3,000 theater seats.

The plans now include doing much more?

Here is Steve Weinberg opening the Mirage in 1989, thirty years before he got the boot from Wynn for sexual harassment.



https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gaming-business/wynn/33790-steve-wynn-getting-the-boot-from-his-own-casinos-and-stripped-of-gaming-license/
link to original post



Imagine the year you turn 35, you're being "traded," for a more hip and trendier model(I'm talking about the Mirage being transformed into the Hard Rock. 🥶
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
  • Posts: 12327
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
May 18th, 2024 at 2:46:35 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I remember driving by this at the very end of the 90s, although I never went inside.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2001/aug/14/finding-closure-at-the-maxim/


https://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2002_3rd/Sept02_Maxim.html

It was actually pretty modern looking.

Who remembers the Maxim now? Will someday the Mirage be like that, unknown and forgotten?

Or, more like the Landmark.


Unknown, but not necessarily forgotten.
link to original post



I remember the Maxim because I used to park there often when I went down to the Vegas Strip. I also used to eat their Prime Rib specials which were like $7 for the full meal.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 645
  • Posts: 4349
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
June 2nd, 2024 at 12:34:04 AM permalink
If they're shutting down the Mirage completely, what happens to the progressive $?

Gets xferred to the new Hard Rock casino when it opens in 3 yrs?
Or can Hard rock xfer it to another casino they own in Nevada (if any) this year?
Last edited by: 100xOdds on Jun 2, 2024
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14073
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:30:33 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

If they're shutting down the Mirage completely, what happens to the progressive $?

Gets xferred to the new Hard Rock casino when it opens in 3 yrs?
Or can Hard rock xfer it to another casino they own in Nevada (if any) this year?
link to original post



I think they have to find a way to give it away before they close.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 6408
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
June 2nd, 2024 at 10:03:11 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: 100xOdds

If they're shutting down the Mirage completely, what happens to the progressive $?

Gets xferred to the new Hard Rock casino when it opens in 3 yrs?
Or can Hard rock xfer it to another casino they own in Nevada (if any) this year?
link to original post



I think they have to find a way to give it away before they close.
link to original post


If I am reading the gaming regulations right, the option to give the amount of a progressive away in a contest of some sort is normally not available to slot machine progressives (NRG 5.110(5)(d)), although there could be an exception made in this case as, if the casino is closing, there does not appear to be any way to give it away that does not require approval from the Chair of the Nevada Gaming Control Board.

Part of NRG 5.110(7) says, "(T)he incremental amount of a progressive payoff schedule is an obligation to the licenseeís patrons, and it shall be the responsibility of the licensee if the licensee ceases operation of the progressive game or slot machine for any reason, including a transfer of ownership of the licensed gaming establishment, to arrange for satisfaction of that obligation in a manner approved by the Chair." (emphasis mine).
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 6309
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
June 2nd, 2024 at 10:15:14 AM permalink
I've been parking there lately for free since the Pallazo is just across the street. Palazzo is hosting the Dead and Co experience that I've visited several times. It's free by the way if anybody wants to check it out
Anyway
Mirage looks like it's doing really good business
I walk by hotel checkin a lot lately and always has long lines in the afternoon
That hotel lobby is always crowded
Looking at that area of the property, no sense the place is closing
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
TaxrBux
TaxrBux
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 2, 2024
June 2nd, 2024 at 1:59:51 PM permalink
We have a recent example in Tropicana closing, where supposedly Bally's was able to transfer the progressive jackpots to their other casinos. Unsourced claim from Vital Vegas: https://www.casino.org/vitalvegas/tropicana-las-vegas-closes-after-67-mostly-awkward-years/
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11892
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:07:55 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: 100xOdds

If they're shutting down the Mirage completely, what happens to the progressive $?

Gets xferred to the new Hard Rock casino when it opens in 3 yrs?
Or can Hard rock xfer it to another casino they own in Nevada (if any) this year?
link to original post



I think they have to find a way to give it away before they close.
link to original post


If I am reading the gaming regulations right, the option to give the amount of a progressive away in a contest of some sort is normally not available to slot machine progressives (NRG 5.110(5)(d)), although there could be an exception made in this case as, if the casino is closing, there does not appear to be any way to give it away that does not require approval from the Chair of the Nevada Gaming Control Board.

Part of NRG 5.110(7) says, "(T)he incremental amount of a progressive payoff schedule is an obligation to the licenseeís patrons, and it shall be the responsibility of the licensee if the licensee ceases operation of the progressive game or slot machine for any reason, including a transfer of ownership of the licensed gaming establishment, to arrange for satisfaction of that obligation in a manner approved by the Chair." (emphasis mine).
link to original post



When we closed casinos we would generally have drawings to give away the accumulated progressive amounts.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 645
  • Posts: 4349
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
June 2nd, 2024 at 3:12:38 PM permalink
Quote: TaxrBux

We have a recent example in Tropicana closing, where supposedly Bally's was able to transfer the progressive jackpots to their other casinos. Unsourced claim from Vital Vegas: https://www.casino.org/vitalvegas/tropicana-las-vegas-closes-after-67-mostly-awkward-years/
link to original post


'Nobody smart is investing in a minority share of the Aís, and nobody smart is building a hotel-casino on that site, so weíre stuck with nothing for the foreseeable future. See also the Riviera, currently a parking lot, and soon to be retail.'

Thought the Riv became Convention Center Annex?
Elon drilled a tunnel to it from the main Convention Center and has automated Tesla's transporting people back and forth?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
  • Jump to: