Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 108
  • Posts: 6995
July 25th, 2012 at 4:04:20 PM permalink
The problem with casino dealer tipping is that the tip does not go to the person who deserves it, but rather into a vat which is their wage pool. The snarly mean dealer gets the same benefit from your tip as the nice one you WANT to tip. The casino does NOT let you actually tip a dealer, they let you put money into a pot for all dealers to share. This is the BIG difference between tipping a dealer and tipping the cocktail waitress, or restaurant waitress.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
Joined: Mar 8, 2011
  • Threads: 112
  • Posts: 5328
July 25th, 2012 at 4:55:59 PM permalink
I will tip most of the dealers but I usually try to find a casino where tips are not pooled. Supposedly it makes little difference as to the quality of service you recieve.

I do not believe this. Poker dealers usually do not split tips and I have NEVER had a rude or ignorant poker delaer. But BJ dealers in
pooling situations, that is quite a different story.
zippyboy
zippyboy
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1113
July 25th, 2012 at 5:05:58 PM permalink
Why is everyone talking about waitresses? This thread is about dealers, people. Obviously you tip a cocktail waitress a buck for your beer or she'll never come around again, and you can take your cheap ass up to the bar and pay $8 for one yourself.

And you tip something to the restaurant server, especially if you're a regular there. But dealers aren't going to spit on your cards if you don't tip, they're not going to pass you by when you have chips in the betting circle, and giving a big tip is NOT going to get you better cards next time. I couldn't give a shit if the dealer is surly or nice to me, just do your job and deal the cards. I'm not there to make friends, I'm there to make money.

Quote: 24Bingo

If the dealer is a dick, sure, don't tip. But tipping under ordinary circumstances is not optional - sure, there won't be legal consequences to it, but dealers, servers, waiters, bartenders - everything is set up under the assumption that they'll be tipped, so if you don't tip them without a damn good reason, that is theft. It doesn't matter that you don't think it should be that way, it is.


Wizard would prolly put me in detention again if I truly spoke my mind on this asinine idea.

Speaking of dickish dealers...I had one Friday night and NO ONE was tipping him for 30-40 minutes till he was tapped out. I only play poker, but Friday I thought I'd unwind at a BJ double-deck game that was dealt face-down. I sat, and immediately there was a set-up change. Fine, I waited. First hand I got I reached down and peeked at my cards the way any poker player does and dealer screamed at me "Hey! Stop bending the cards! God dammit, we just changed 'em! FLOOR!" Floor comes over and dealer whines the same lines to him. Floor looks at me and says "These aren't poker cards, don't bend them." "Okay" I say. After that, the dealer pitched cards off the table 3 times to me, ogled the pretty girls walking by and shouted "Seat open here Miss!", or if he liked her revealing top, he'd shout "Hoooo, boy, purple's my favorite color! Seat open!", (one time he even called the floor over to compare one girl walking by to "Jennifer", whoever she is), he watched the game on TV, he openly mocked players who couldn't add or acted too slowly. His small talk during the game was asking everyone's favorite movie western (or comedy, then our favorite prison movie), and then telling whoever answered why his choice was stupid. At one point, someone else had bent a card, and he called the floor over again. I said "Isn't me this time", and he answered "I know. It was this doofus over here." as he motioned to a guy seated in the center. This idiot's arrogance, unprofessionalism and immaturity had me rolling my eyes at the depths he was willing to sink, and of course I never tipped him. No one did, ever.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
Joined: Dec 10, 2010
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 878
July 25th, 2012 at 5:15:36 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The problem with casino dealer tipping is that the tip does not go to the person who deserves it, but rather into a vat which is their wage pool. The snarly mean dealer gets the same benefit from your tip as the nice one you WANT to tip. The casino does NOT let you actually tip a dealer, they let you put money into a pot for all dealers to share. This is the BIG difference between tipping a dealer and tipping the cocktail waitress, or restaurant waitress.



At Casino Arizona, the dealers would bring their personal tip boxes with them as they changed tables. I assumed that meant the tips weren't pooled, but I may be mistaken. At least all the dealers were friendly there. And at some restaurants, waitstaff tips ARE pooled. I would personally not want to work that way, having worked with some slack-ass waitpersons before.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
24Bingo
24Bingo
Joined: Jul 4, 2012
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1348
July 25th, 2012 at 5:23:09 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Why is everyone talking about waitresses? This thread is about dealers, people. Obviously you tip a cocktail waitress a buck for your beer or she'll never come around again, and you can take your cheap ass up to the bar and pay $8 for one yourself.

And you tip something to the restaurant server, especially if you're a regular there. But dealers aren't going to spit on your cards if you don't tip, they're not going to pass you by when you have chips in the betting circle, and giving a big tip is NOT going to get you better cards next time. I couldn't give a shit if the dealer is surly or nice to me, just do your job and deal the cards. I'm not there to make friends, I'm there to make money.



That right there - that's what I mean when I say tipping isn't optional. Not tipping dealers if they're jackasses is one thing, but not tipping dealers because there's little or no consequence to stiffing them is a lousy attitude to take, and yes, ethically tantamount to theft.

(And SOOPOO: while it's never fair to punish or reward an aggregate for the individual's merits, that's what ends up happening a lot in life, and it's no reason to screw them all - or reward them all, either. Besides, a lot of restaurants pool their tips, too, and not all casinos.)
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
rainman
rainman
Joined: Mar 28, 2012
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 1355
July 25th, 2012 at 5:36:08 PM permalink
I was getting up from the BJ table one day and the player on my left said don't forget to tip your dealer. So I looked in the dealers direction and said, here are two tips save your money and don't forget to eat your vegetables. I still go to this casino on occasion and as you can imagine the the dealers and floor treat me extra special. :)
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 43
  • Posts: 1765
July 25th, 2012 at 5:39:37 PM permalink
24Bingo, Let me take a wild guess are you a dealer?
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
Joined: Apr 28, 2010
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 5692
July 25th, 2012 at 5:53:33 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The problem with casino dealer tipping is that the tip does not go to the person who deserves it, but rather into a vat which is their wage pool. The snarly mean dealer gets the same benefit from your tip as the nice one you WANT to tip. The casino does NOT let you actually tip a dealer, they let you put money into a pot for all dealers to share. This is the BIG difference between tipping a dealer and tipping the cocktail waitress, or restaurant waitress.


As it works out, pooled tips still have an incentive effect of helping dealer's attitudes.
First of all, all gratuity income is known to be based on courteous service, so that incentive always remains, pooled or not.
Secondly, dead-beat dealers hear from the hard-working dealers about "stepping up service - as you're killing us all."

I was talking about tips with a floorman who works as a dealer at another property, discussing those players who constantly say, "I would TIP if I WERE WINNING -" like dealers have the option to stack the cards or swap in loaded dice.

To this, I usually say,
1. "If I could stack the cards, we'd start a business, wearing Orange jump suits" or
2. "You don't have to tip, and you don't need to explain yourself if you don't tip. Just play."

Other dealers are more direct if a non-tipper tries to explain his cheapness:
"Tipping is like sex: you either do it, or you talk about it."

Basically, there are three types of players on this subject:
1. Tippers;
2. Stiffs,
3. and the talkers.

Personally, if a player is well-behaved and a good player, I am little concerned if he tips or not, knowing that 90% of our tips come from 10% of the players.
The last thing I ever do it worry about tips. I figure, if I pay attention to my game and my players, the tips take care of themselves, - and they do.

Most people in a casino aren't poor, though many may be cheap, but it is not something to ever worry about so as long as you take care of your table and your players. Comes with the territory, what else is new.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 2181
July 25th, 2012 at 5:57:56 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

...it's customary to tip dealers.

Up until a few years ago it was illegal to tip dealers in the UK (or indeed for them to "fraternise" with customers in any way). The rules were very strict, it was a sack-able offence, and they weren't even allowed to say hello to you outside the casino unless you did first. One dealer nearly lost their job offering an elderly punter a lift home.

We have high street and racetrack bookmakers; and you would never even consider tipping a bookie. Indeed, I'm not a big punter so wouldn't know, but I would expect him to treat his largest punters to something for Christmas. Similarly my local casino sometimes buys their punters a drink or pays for their taxis home, in the old days we even received free meals occasionally.

The dealers I know in the UK are obviously happy that they can now receive tips, but I'm glad to say that rather than expecting them they are appreciative of any that come. Also usually there's no expression of disappointment or expectation. So I have tipped dealers if I've enjoyed the game, had a fun time and usually a good atmosphere built up amongst the table I was playing. However I also find it quite offensive if a dealer pays with two 2.50s after a Blackjack expecting a tip.

As a question - I imagine there are some here who can actually eek out a profit (or reduce their losses to negligible) through various counting or strategy techniques. What would be the point of playing if you were, expected to hand over most of your advantage as tips? Surely it makes it pointless playing?

I like to think a tip is either a personal appreciation for a job well done or, say at a bar, an advance payment to ensure you are served well and have an enjoyable evening. Thus I can see the logic of tipping a craps dealer up front.

PS I will always tip the waitress even if it's only just a plastic cup coffee.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
Joined: Apr 28, 2010
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 5692
July 25th, 2012 at 6:12:50 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

As a question - I imagine there are some here who can actually eek out a profit (or reduce their losses to negligible) through various counting or strategy techniques. What would be the point of playing if you were, expected to hand over most of your advantage as tips? Surely it makes it pointless playing?


First of all, most gambling sessisons are of a recreational nature for the player, and not of a business enterprise or income-generating nature. Similar to dining out, when we can eat at home, we want to have enjoyment and be serviced, in a polite way. [ahem...]

Secondly, some winning sessions are of a windfall profit: you hit a Royal, or go on an amazing streak. You have got to admit most sessions aren't of a "well, I made $10 on my $500, better lock that in!" nature.There are of course card-counting "grinders" seeking to obtain a small profit on a consistent basis by any means possible, but they are not a part of the recreational gambler realm who is out on the town for the night. From the grinders, we don't expect tips, just headaches, and are seldom dissapointed. Again, we get 90% of our tips from 10% of the players.

Quote: charliepatrick

I like to think a tip is either a personal appreciation for a job well done or, say at a bar, an advance payment to ensure you are served well and have an enjoyable evening. Thus I can see the logic of tipping a craps dealer up front.

That is the spirit of a tip.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.

  • Jump to: