Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
Thanks for this post from:
DeMango
August 23rd, 2021 at 5:10:55 PM permalink
You can see I reopened this thread after two days. Hopefully the temporary closure will help to keep things on topic.

Let me say a couple of things, as long as I'm posting.

First, we do allow members to object and discuss suspensions of themselves and others. I think that is part of respecting free speech. Since there is so much complaining about suspensions, I chose to try to contain it to this thread, as opposed to seeing grievances all over the place. Regarding complaining, I have my limits. If someone's primary contribution to the forum is to gripe about suspensions and management in general, it becomes trolling. This especially includes mentioning suspensions that happened years ago. As a reminder, nobody is forced to be here and this is just an Internet forum.

Second, we define hijacking as posting something completely unrelated to the topic at hand. However, it's considered one of the more mild offenses and we often don't notice it or let it go if the infraction isn't too blatant. If posting a story is relevant to the topic at hand, that should be okay.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
QFIT
QFIT
  • Threads: 1
teliot
August 23rd, 2021 at 5:46:12 PM permalink
Confucius said: "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."
"It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows." -Epictetus
teliot
teliot
  • Threads: 41
August 23rd, 2021 at 5:57:52 PM permalink
Norm, you are a great moderator of a forum. Honestly, your forum doesn't get much action, but everything it gets is quality. For a forum that generates income from hits, I imagine WoV is hamstrung, but I have always admired the way you run BJTF, even if I don't agree with all of your decisions.
Poetry website: www.totallydisconnected.com
QFIT
QFIT
  • Threads: 1
teliot
August 23rd, 2021 at 6:04:16 PM permalink
Many thanks. I spent a great deal of work reducing my traffic. That's a luxury ill-afforded by a forum with ads. Makes life more complicated. And, I don't agree with all of my decisions either.:)
"It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows." -Epictetus
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
Dieter
August 23rd, 2021 at 6:28:02 PM permalink
Quote: QFIT

Confucius said: "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."

I agree.

Nice to see you Norm. Hope you're doing well. Feel free to stick around.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
August 23rd, 2021 at 10:01:09 PM permalink
Quote: QFIT

Most people including myself would be vehemently disagree with this. Life is actually very complicated and if you can make it simple, good on you. Because most people can't. It's what keeps shrinks in business.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 8
August 24th, 2021 at 3:18:18 AM permalink
MarcusClark66 is punished for Copyright and Spam violations.
Posted here as the original thread, consisting exclusively of copied content, is deleted.
May the cards fall in your favor.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
  • Threads: 50
August 24th, 2021 at 3:24:40 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

MarcusClark66 is punished for Copyright and Spam violations.
Posted here as the original thread, consisting exclusively of copied content, is deleted.

Following consultation with Dieter, the penalty set to time served and a reminder to review rule 2.

Generally speaking, quotes from third party sites should only be short snippets (fair use) and should bear some attribution note.
IANAL.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
Wellbush
Wellbush
  • Threads: 11
August 24th, 2021 at 3:56:07 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

IANAL.

OD, your abbreviations may be understood by you, and one or two others, but the rest???

Attacks on others....I think WOV needs to look at take-downs. The unfortunate believers can be scolded, but not by every Tom, Dick and Harry! There should be a limit, otherwise it's too lopsided.

Some even use take-downs to troll! It's easily recognised and isn't fair. If you look at my original thread "beat the house at blackjack!!!!" I complained about some within the thread and via PM to mods, but I was completely ignored. Again, people don't have to read these kind of threads, and saturating them with all kinds of snipes is so unfair.

Would I be able to get away with constantly sniping at naysayers? Maybe the answer is to allow one or two disagreements on any new topic, then allow the topic to run? Mods could even add a running header in a different colour, and bold, where necessary...E.g. WOV DOESN'T AGREE WITH BETTING SYSTEMS.
No sniping would be needed in a thread with this kind of running header on each page of posts, and believers could go for their life.

I don't have any problem with any betting system post being immediately allocated to a heading on the main page, e.g. BETTING SYSTEMS. As long as the heading, BETTING SYSTEMS, is easily accessible, the posts only need be seen by those accessing it.
Last edited by: Wellbush on Aug 24, 2021
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 8
August 24th, 2021 at 4:16:40 AM permalink
Quote: Wellbush

OD, your abbreviations may be understood by you, and one or two others, but the rest???

Attacks on others....I think WOV needs to look at take-downs. The unfortunate believers can be scolded, but not by every Tom, Dick and Harry! There should be a limit, otherwise it's too lopsided.

Some even use take-downs to troll! It's easily recognised and isn't fair. If you look at my original thread "beat the house at blackjack!!!!" I complained about some within the thread and via PM to mods, but I was completely ignored. Again, people don't have to read these kind of threads, and saturating them with all kinds of snipes is so unfair.

Would I be able to get away with constantly sniping at naysayers? Maybe the answer is to allow one or two disagreements on any new topic, then allow the topic to run? Mods could even add a running header in a different colour, and bold, where necessary...E.g. WOV DOESN'T AGREE WITH BETTING SYSTEMS.
No sniping would be needed in a thread with this kind of running header on each page of posts, and believers could go for their life.

IANAL translates to "I Am Not A Lawyer", and is a standard disclaimer applied to posts which could be misconstrued as legal advice.

As for the rest; consider that if everyone is arguing with you, you might be wrong and their sincere hope is to bring you to an epiphany.
May the cards fall in your favor.

• Jump to: