9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 19th, 2022 at 7:13:08 AM permalink
Bol was listed as 7'7" and he and Georgie Muransan(sp) are officially the two tallest NBA players. There is a guy in Dubai who is 7'9" and claims to be only 18. There are some videos of him. Supposedly, he wants to play in the NBA when he fills out some more, but he has never proved his age as there seems to be no birth certificate for him. He was born to a wandering tribe in Africa.
He can dunk with either hand while standing still, can palm the ball with just his thumb and pinkie, and can throw a full-court pass the way normal people throw a softball.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 19th, 2022 at 9:21:07 AM permalink
Shawn Bradley, who tragically passed after a cycling incident within the last year, was 7’6. Yao Ming was 7’5 or 7’6. Fair amount of guys have been 7’2-7’4. Tacko Fall can’t stick in the league right now is 7’5 has played some nba games but mostly g league. 20 years ago he would have been a starting center. Tallest current NBA player on a full time contract is Boban Marjonivich (spelling wrong for sure.)

As odd as it sounds, very unlikely Edey has a good career in the league, the size becomes detrimental; was born 20 years two late. Nowadays if they can’t move their feet pretty well they can’t stay on the floor; they’re mercilessly targeted in pick and roll. And pretty much no one that size can move their feet well enough. Sit back too far and guys are just way too good of shooters and much more willing to shoot 3’s now, contest and they get blown by. Seems counter intuitive but guys that are that tall are defensive liabilities at the highest level.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Mar 19, 2022
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 20th, 2022 at 1:21:29 AM permalink

the universal DH is in effect this season in the MLB meaning National League teams will also have a DH

it was there for the pandemic shortened 2020 season but now it is here to stay

Please don't feed the trolls
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
March 20th, 2022 at 8:20:09 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

the universal DH is in effect this season in the MLB meaning National League teams will also have a DH

it was there for the pandemic shortened 2020 season but now it is here to stay

link to original post

But less interleague games. You'd think it would open it up for more.
billryan
billryan
March 20th, 2022 at 8:41:45 AM permalink
I have not looked at the schedules yet, but there are less inter-league games this year?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
moses
moses
March 20th, 2022 at 8:54:45 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I have not looked at the schedules yet, but there are less inter-league games this year?
link to original post

As part of the 2022 CBA, interleague play was expanded from 20 to 46 games per team per season. Each team will play a four game home-and-home series against its natural rival and a single three game series against the other 14 interleague opponents, with the venue alternating every other year.

My bad.
billryan
billryan
March 20th, 2022 at 9:27:07 AM permalink
I'll have to look at it but my first impression is 25% of the schedule being inter-league seems high. As a Yankee fan, I want more Sawx and Blue Jay games and less Marlins, although I do understand fans in baseball deserts like SoCal and Tejas wanting to see the Yankees more often.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 20th, 2022 at 10:15:28 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Shawn Bradley, who tragically passed after a cycling incident within the last year, was 7’6.

Bradley is still alive, but severely disabled. There was a great story about him in Sports Illustrated (I think) recently about his recovery. It is incredibly sad, but worth reading.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/12/shawn-bradley-paralyzed-bike-accident-daily-cover
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
billryan
billryan
March 20th, 2022 at 11:12:19 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Shawn Bradley, who tragically passed after a cycling incident within the last year, was 7’6.

Bradley is still alive, but severely disabled. There was a great story about him in Sports Illustrated (I think) recently about his recovery. It is incredibly sad, but worth reading.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/12/shawn-bradley-paralyzed-bike-accident-daily-cover
link to original post

I also thought he had died recently, so I quess it is good news he is still alive. Such a tragedy.
billryan
billryan
March 20th, 2022 at 11:14:54 AM permalink
I'm starting to like this whole sports betting thing. The week after the Superbowl my comic sales went thru the roof and the same thing this weekend. Two buyers mentioned cashing in big bets.
I'm curious how the public takes to baseball betting.
moses
moses
March 20th, 2022 at 11:43:47 AM permalink

I'll have to look at it but my first impression is 25% of the schedule being inter-league seems high. As a Yankee fan, I want more Sawx and Blue Jay games and less Marlins, although I do understand fans in baseball deserts like SoCal and Tejas wanting to see the Yankees more often.
link to original post

Each team plays division opponents 14 times. This leaves playing the 10 conference opponents 6 times each.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
moses
March 20th, 2022 at 12:27:36 PM permalink

here he is - the 7'9" no need to jump slam dunker - Abiodun Adegoke - from Nigeria but at last report he was playing in Dubai

they call him "Big Naija"

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 20th, 2022 at 6:29:18 PM permalink
He didn’t have to jump but that was definitely a travel…two consecutive jump stops without putting the ball on the floor=4!!! steps.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2022 at 2:12:58 AM permalink

my home team - what used to be the Redskins - looks like a disaster in the making

first, their new name - the "Commanders" - it sucks and everybody here hates it

then Carson Wentz coming in - the guy is a gigantic question mark

we have 3 excellent players in Chase Young, Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gibson

but I don't think it's going to be enough - it's going to get ugly

will I become a Ravens fan_____?______ - much of my family was from Baltimore - naaaaaaah - no way

Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
March 21st, 2022 at 4:21:17 AM permalink

He didn’t have to jump but that was definitely a travel…two consecutive jump stops without putting the ball on the floor=4!!! steps.
link to original post

So many players travel now and they just don’t call it line they used to. James Harden comes to mind
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
billryan
billryan
March 21st, 2022 at 12:06:14 PM permalink
I'm watching the Yankee Spring Training game and somebody has made a fashion foo pah. The new caps are made of mesh and evidently, someone didn't know the real purpose of a hat is to keep the sun off your head. Some of the hair-challenged have had to resort to a dew rag to keep from getting sunburned.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2022 at 12:44:52 PM permalink

this is really kind of comical

the Giants signed Kenny Golladay to a contract - consider he's had really only 2 good years in NFL out of 5 and those were 3 and 4 years ago

last year with the Giants he totaled 37 receptions for 521 yards and no TDs in 14 games

last year Kenny Golladay signed a 4 year, $72,000,000 contract with the New York Giants, including a $17,000,000 signing bonus, $40,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2022, Golladay will earn a base salary of $13,000,000, a roster bonus of $4,500,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000,

a $72 million dollar receiver with zero TDs last year_______________(~:/

he may not be a great receiver but he's one helluva businessman___________________(~:/

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 21st, 2022 at 3:37:36 PM permalink

this is really kind of comical

the Giants signed Kenny Golladay to a contract - consider he's had really only 2 good years in NFL out of 5 and those were 3 and 4 years ago

last year with the Giants he totaled 37 receptions for 521 yards and no TDs in 14 games

last year Kenny Golladay signed a 4 year, $72,000,000 contract with the New York Giants, including a $17,000,000 signing bonus, $40,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2022, Golladay will earn a base salary of $13,000,000, a roster bonus of $4,500,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000,

a $72 million dollar receiver with zero TDs last year_______________(~:/

he may not be a great receiver but he's one helluva businessman___________________(~:/

link to original post

Agree. Check out Zay Jones' contract. When I saw his name in the news I expected it was going to be something like, "Zay Jones cut...", not "signs 4 year 40 million dollar contract". Apparently the salary cap went up $25 million. You are now seeing what the stupid GM's are doing. The smart ones will wait until the stupid ones are done overspending.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 22nd, 2022 at 2:58:07 AM permalink

the refs blew it and TCU lost to Arizona in OT on Sunday - and there is a very good chance that TCU would have won if not for the horrible no call

with the score tied at 75 and 7 seconds left in regulation TCU guard Mike Miles Jr. was bumped hard near midcourt causing him to fall down - there was no call

Arizona got the ball and the guy dunked but too late - the clock had gone off - but Arizona won in OT

really, really horrible stuff - the ref nearest the play who should have blown his whistle needs to be fired

moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 9:15:01 AM permalink
Here is the problem. When the guard dribbled to his left side, the official in the lower part of the screen should have moved up. Backcourt seemed to be the call. But he couldn't make that call from that angle.

If you look at the position of the two ref's, they were behind the play and couldn't have made the call.

This will definitely being a play that is showed many times at clinics this summer.
billryan
billryan
March 22nd, 2022 at 9:37:52 AM permalink
I don't see a foul there. I see a guy who mishandled the ball and allowed himself to be trapped by two opponents. I wouldn't blow a whistle for that. The ballhandler got himself into deep water, it's not the refs job to save him.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 22nd, 2022 at 10:05:05 AM permalink

I don't see a foul there. I see a guy who mishandled the ball and allowed himself to be trapped by two opponents. I wouldn't blow a whistle for that. The ballhandler got himself into deep water, it's not the refs job to save him.
link to original post

you're dead wrong

if you blow up the vid, slow it down by stopping it and then starting it again and again until you exactly to the incident:

you will see that #4 on Arizona bumped #1 on TCU hard and knocked him down

the left hand and arm of #4 on Arizona hit #1 on TCU on his neck

you can see the exact moment of the foul right here in this screenshot I took

you can't guard a player like that in college ball at midcourt - not even in the NBA - maybe in the NBA you can get away with that in the low post

billryan
billryan
March 22nd, 2022 at 10:34:00 AM permalink
I'm not slowing the video down to examine it frame by frame because the refs are calling it in real-time.
I'm 100% right in saying I would not have blown the whistle on the play. The ball handler got himself into an untenable position and was about to go into the backcourt. Not my problem. Others can disagree.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 22nd, 2022 at 11:55:04 AM permalink

I'm not slowing the video down to examine it frame by frame because the refs are calling it in real-time.
I'm 100% right in saying I would not have blown the whistle on the play. The ball handler got himself into an untenable position and was about to go into the backcourt. Not my problem. Others can disagree.
link to original post

I haven't looked at the non call, but in general, i am 100% with Billy on these types of calls. A ball handler gets himself in trouble and seeks out whatever contact he can get to try and get himself out of trouble with a ref bailing him out. In the great majority of cases, no call is the correct call.

When playing sound defense, and an offensive player makes contact with me and then calls a foul on me, I often say, "What was my foul, 'existing'?"
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 12:13:46 PM permalink
Backcourt is the correct call. It happened before the contact. In today's game, it would be reviewed.
billryan
billryan
March 22nd, 2022 at 12:18:34 PM permalink
I did slow the video down and what I see in slo motion is his foot may have stepped on the half-court line at the same time the two players make contact.
My thought, as a ref, would be that the offensive player got himself in trouble and I'm not going to reward him and make him the hero by putting him on the line with no time left.
Could a foul have been called? Yes, but who wants to see a #1 seed knocked off on a ticky-tack play? I think making the call would have been a lot more controversial.
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 12:29:49 PM permalink
The problem is the ref (lower part of screen) was out of position. He should have already been at half court when the ball moved away and towards the other official who was free throw line extended at top of screen. Think triangle.

Another problem would've been a collision on the layup at thr other end.. No one was close to being in position to make that call.

It usually goes in 3 mistakes.
billryan
billryan
March 22nd, 2022 at 12:47:06 PM permalink
Smart players know where the refs are, and what they can get away with.
Coaches used to bring retired refs in so they could show the team where the refs are positioned and looking under different circumstances. Not every screen is set to obstruct a player.
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 12:47:27 PM permalink

I did slow the video down and what I see in slo motion is his foot may have stepped on the half-court line at the same time the two players make contact.
My thought, as a ref, would be that the offensive player got himself in trouble and I'm not going to reward him and make him the hero by putting him on the line with no time left.
Could a foul have been called? Yes, but who wants to see a #1 seed knocked off on a ticky-tack play? I think making the call would have been a lot more controversial.
link to original post

That is too much info for an official to process in seconds. When the ballhandler moved away he should have been thinking about becoming the lead official in the event of a turnover. Thus he would be positioned at or close to half court. Instead he was lackadaisical. Clearly, they didn't anticipate the ballhandler reversing course.
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 12:50:46 PM permalink

Smart players know where the refs are, and what they can get away with.
Coaches used to bring retired refs in so they could show the team where the refs are positioned and looking under different circumstances. Not every screen is set to obstruct a player.
link to original post

It's all about angles. Much easier in today's game with 3 officials as opposed to when there were just 2 officials.

Also, coaches will attend officials clinics in the summer to see what kind of changes are forthcoming.

For instance, one year it was decided to reduce the "and 1." So officials were trained to see if the ball goes in before making or not making a call.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 22nd, 2022 at 2:24:40 PM permalink
That’s either backcourt or a foul. It would be one thing if the defender had established position there and the ball handler just collided ran into him, that’s offensive. That is not what happened…he did not beat him to the spot and instead went into him with a knee because he was unable to cut him off first.

I don’t understand the viewpoint of what seed they are or what point the game is at is supposed to decide what is or is not a foul.
billryan
billryan
March 22nd, 2022 at 2:47:03 PM permalink

That’s either backcourt or a foul. It would be one thing if the defender had established position there and the ball handler just collided ran into him, that’s offensive. That is not what happened…he did not beat him to the spot and instead went into him with a knee because he was unable to cut him off first.

I don’t understand the viewpoint of what seed they are or what point the game is at is supposed to decide what is or is not a foul.
link to original post

Yeah, because a foul is a foul, no matter when it happens. Same thing with a traveling violation.
I think the backcourt violation happened before the contact, but I don't see either being called under those conditions.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Hunterhill
March 22nd, 2022 at 2:58:07 PM permalink

link to original post

Yeah, because a foul is a foul, no matter when it happens. Same thing with a traveling violation.
I think the backcourt violation happened before the contact, but I don't see either being called under those conditions.
link to original post

Sadly, I think a travelling call can happen on almost every layup today. People seem to forget it is one step and a jump as almost everyone now takes two steps and a jump.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 22nd, 2022 at 3:11:38 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

Sadly, I think a travelling call can happen on almost every layup today. People seem to forget it is one step and a jump as almost everyone now takes two steps and a jump.
link to original post

It’s one step before you start dribbling, two steps after picking it up. What you see, at least in the pros, is not counting any of the steps while they are “gathering” it, making it look like they’re often taking 4+.
billryan
billryan
March 22nd, 2022 at 3:12:30 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Or three steps, a shuffle and jump. We were taught one step and jump on a layup. I don't think that is the case anymore.
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 3:33:05 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

It’s one step before you start dribbling, two steps after picking it up. What you see, at least in the pros, is not counting any of the steps while they are “gathering” it, making it look like they’re often taking 4+.
link to original post

Good explanation. Key is determination of gathering. Then there is the Euro Step.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
March 22nd, 2022 at 4:10:16 PM permalink
They also don’t call carrying the ball when players are dribbling.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:03:58 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

link to original post

Palming is a thing of the past. Drives traditionalists nuts.
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:04:03 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

link to original post

Palming is a thing of the past. Drives traditionalists nuts.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:23:06 PM permalink
They should remove it from the rule book then.

Remove the charge or change definition of offensive fouls while they’re at it. There’s still offensive fouls for lowering shoulder, hooking, illegal screens etc (the moving screen hasn’t been enforced by the rule book in at least 30 years since Karl Malone came around either.) But guys intentionally trying to take charges just creates unnecessarily dangerous situations, leads to more injuries and flopping/deceit, and isn’t good for entertainment purposes either.
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 6:41:39 PM permalink

Remove the charge or change definition of offensive fouls while they’re at it. There’s still offensive fouls for lowering shoulder, hooking, illegal screens etc (the moving screen hasn’t been enforced by the rule book in at least 30 years since Karl Malone came around either.) But guys intentionally trying to take charges just creates unnecessarily dangerous situations, leads to more injuries and flopping/deceit, and isn’t good for entertainment purposes either.
link to original post

Agreed. The flop is the worst play in basketball. But a charge is one of the best plays in basketball. If a player entitled to his spot is kept in mind. The idea of a 3rd official was to minimize missing certain calls like a moving screen. Only one set of eyes should be on the ball most of the time.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 22nd, 2022 at 8:57:44 PM permalink
Quote: moses

link to original post

Agreed. The flop is the worst play in basketball. But a charge is one of the best plays in basketball. If a player entitled to his spot is kept in mind. The idea of a 3rd official was to minimize missing certain calls like a moving screen. Only one set of eyes should be on the ball most of the time.
link to original post

Refs definitely LOVE to call charges. I just think it's unnecessary, dangerous at times, and doesn't add anything. They already have the principle of verticality to challenge the shot or can call the o foul for lowering the shoulder so I don't see what it's adding.
moses
moses
March 22nd, 2022 at 9:16:22 PM permalink
You're right. It's a call they think has to be sold. I remember a coach once said to a partner. "Man, you really enjoyed shoving that up my"...😮 Just make the call like every other one.

On fast break it becomes the ballhandlers decision. He can dish or pull up for a jumper or set up the offense..
Without it the game would get out of control.

But to make correct call the official looks at the defender to determine if he has established position. Most eyes are on the player with the ball...completely different perspective and the wrong one.

Some of these young guards are way out of control going to the hoop. They have set the parameters outside a circle in the paint to help avoid major collisions.
Last edited by: moses on Mar 22, 2022
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 23rd, 2022 at 2:08:26 AM permalink

if very rough contact like that came to be considered not a foul in college ball that would completely change the game

it's ridiculous to look at that play and say there was no foul

Moses is a professional referee and he knows it was a foul - not that you need a pro referee to see what is so very obvious

anybody saying that's not a foul just doesn't know basketball - it's clear cut - it's not a matter of opinion

Arizona has bad karma now - they know they got something they didn't deserve - it's on their minds - they won't win it all - guaranteed

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 23, 2022
billryan
billryan
March 23rd, 2022 at 4:11:28 AM permalink
It's hard sometimes when you know you are right, and yet the rest of the world keeps insisting you are not. Don't let the bastiches get you down.
moses
moses
March 23rd, 2022 at 8:05:16 AM permalink

if very rough contact like that came to be considered not a foul in college ball that would completely change the game

it's ridiculous to look at that play and say there was no foul

Moses is a professional referee and he knows it was a foul - not that you need a pro referee to see what is so very obvious

anybody saying that's not a foul just doesn't know basketball - it's clear cut - it's not a matter of opinion

Arizona has bad karma now - they know they got something they didn't deserve - it's on their minds - they won't win it all - guaranteed

link to original post

I did some CBA games in the 80's and college up until 2016. But never got one of those pro contracts.

You both make strong points. Backcourt woould've been my call.

There was a Tennessee game in the sweet 16 a few years ago where a friend of mine made a call that altered the outcome of the game. I would've went the other way. But he was correct according to the new rule. At first, he was boiled by the announcers. But later praised for making a good call.
billryan
billryan
March 23rd, 2022 at 8:38:17 AM permalink
I had a friend who attempted to be a full-time referee. He ended up reffing for about thirty years, and I think he did some junior college games. He said a refs #1 job is not to become the story. I think that has to be on every ref or umpire's mind. Do not become the story.

I attended school in Rochester in the late 70s/early 80s and attended a few CBA games. Those were some high-scoring games, as I remember them. Almost no defense.
The Rochester team changed names seemingly every year. One year they were owned by an electronic store owner who called them the Zeniths after his most popular tv model. They played in a dump called the Dome that had a concrete floor. They had a green carpet that had the lines for a basketball court on it, and they would roll it out before games. Dribbling on carpet was an experience
If the team won, and scored 130 points, all the fans at the game got two free slices of pizza from a local chain. Sometimes, the fans were in the dozens but a few times they drew a few hundred. After one game, my friend and I hit all 12 of the locations and scoffed down 24 slices each.
In my senior year, the team was bought by Art Stock, who was a legendary nightclub owner from the East Coast. For some reason, he decided to coach the team himself, and he bought in a cheerleading squad made up of waitress's from his nightclub in Atlantic City.
He'd fly in on his private jet with his cheerleading squad. He was quite the showman but even he couldn't draw flies.
Last edited by: billryan on Mar 23, 2022
moses
moses
March 23rd, 2022 at 8:52:04 AM permalink
I like your friends philosophy. As times change, so have officials outlook. For instance, on the 10 second call. Many officials will count to eleven. Why? Because if the replay shows the call was made too quickly, like .05 he is grilled. But a no call can't be reviewed. So be damn sure.
moses
moses
March 23rd, 2022 at 9:05:33 AM permalink
“Tough call, but the right one,” Clark Kellogg said on CBS after the game, putting him in disagreement with the majority of viewers not wearing maize and blue. Maybe it was a charge, maybe it was a block. The right call was none at all — not with six seconds left in a one-point Sweet 16 game.

https://youtu.be/K5O7VUe28zw
Last edited by: moses on Mar 23, 2022
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 24th, 2022 at 5:35:49 AM permalink

Don't be surprised if the Big Ten tournament champion Iowa Hawkeyes loses their first round game to the Richmond Spiders.
link to original post

I just want to call attention to this post, above. In an upset that confounded the ESPN talking heads, the Richmond Spiders did indeed beat the Iowa Hawkeyes. Just as DRich predicted. Because DRich had posted this I included this upset in some of my ESPN brackets. Sadly, Richmond's upset win was the solitary bright spot on my brackets, which all went down the crapper.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
  • Jump to: