1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 24th, 2022 at 5:46:24 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Quote: DRich

Don't be surprised if the Big Ten tournament champion Iowa Hawkeyes loses their first round game to the Richmond Spiders.
link to original post

I just want to call attention to this post, above. In an upset that confounded the ESPN talking heads, the Richmond Spiders did indeed beat the Iowa Hawkeyes. Just as DRich predicted. Because DRich had posted this I included this upset in some of my ESPN brackets. Sadly, Richmond's upset win was the solitary bright spot on my brackets, which all went down the crapper.
link to original post

Glad I could help you. As a graduate of U of Iowa I follow them pretty close in all sports. The Iowa women's team, a #2 seed was also knocked out in a major upset.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
moses
moses
  • Threads: 11
March 24th, 2022 at 8:09:45 AM permalink
The Hawkeye wave is by far the most classic distinction in all sports. 👍👏👏👏👍
DRich
DRich
March 24th, 2022 at 8:12:24 AM permalink
Quote: moses

The Hawkeye wave is by far the most classic distinction in all sports. 👍👏👏👏👍
link to original post

I think that is one tradition everyone likes. I guess it is hard to call it a tradition when it is only a few years old.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 25th, 2022 at 1:15:39 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Arizona has bad karma now - - they won't win it all

link to original post

Final_________________Houston 72__________Arizona 60

Arizona was favored and they got smoked

bad karma always gets paid for

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
March 25th, 2022 at 5:48:03 AM permalink
Only one #1 seed left and that is Kansas. When was the last time no #1 seeds made the Final Four (if it has ever happened)?
moses
moses
March 25th, 2022 at 9:11:54 AM permalink

Only one #1 seed left and that is Kansas. When was the last time no #1 seeds made the Final Four (if it has ever happened)?
link to original post

2006. Florida was Champ. Beat UCLA. George Mason and LSU rounded out the field.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
moses
March 25th, 2022 at 9:22:30 AM permalink
Noah, Horford, and Brewer. Just a phenomenal defensive frontcourt; an all time college team from a defensive frontcourt standpoint.

The following year they left Noah on an island in the national championship game against #1 overall draft pick Greg Oden and gave him zero help so they wouldn’t have to give up open three’s to Ohio State’s lethal perimeter shooters led by future All Star Mike Conley and Jon Diebler.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 26th, 2022 at 1:02:31 AM permalink

𝙎𝙩, 𝙋𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙙𝙫𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚𝙨 - what a story - they were 12.5 point dogs to Purdue

they're a college of only 2,100 students

they're the 1st no. 15 seed to ever advance to the Elite 8

they play UNC tomorrow

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 26th, 2022 at 4:47:59 AM permalink

they play UNC tomorrow

link to original post

I think this has to be the highest seed total matchup beyond the second round. 8+15= 23. I’m sure there’s been a 12 vs 13 matchup in the second round before to equal it.
moses
moses
March 26th, 2022 at 7:47:37 AM permalink

they play UNC tomorrow

link to original post

A lady has been betting them on the money line. She took them yesterday because it was National Peacock day.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
March 26th, 2022 at 9:10:40 AM permalink

they play UNC tomorrow

link to original post

A lady has been betting them on the money line. She took them yesterday because it was National Peacock day.
link to original post

I had them on the money line, too. One of the books had a promotion where you got 10-1. Unfortunately I may have hedged with a different book laying 9-1. So I won a few dollars! But I did have St. Peters +7.5 on 2 successful parlays and got maybe double what I would have if I took them at +12.5.

Purdue seemed like the worst coached team ever. They had Edey who was getting many easy hoops in the first half, and they barely played him in the second half... The players were making absolutely stupid fouls in the last few minutes on the 88% foul shooter. One was on a forced 3 pointer. another one was on an off the ball play that had nothing going for the Peacocks. If I am Edey I'm already in the 'transfer portal'.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 26th, 2022 at 9:17:06 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

they play UNC tomorrow

link to original post

link to original post

I had them on the money line, too. One of the books had a promotion where you got 10-1. Unfortunately I may have hedged with a different book laying 9-1. So I won a few dollars! But I did have St. Peters +7.5 on 2 successful parlays and got maybe double what I would have if I took them at +12.5.

Purdue seemed like the worst coached team ever. They had Edey who was getting many easy hoops in the first half, and they barely played him in the second half... The players were making absolutely stupid fouls in the last few minutes on the 88% foul shooter. One was on a forced 3 pointer. another one was on an off the ball play that had nothing going for the Peacocks. If I am Edey I'm already in the 'transfer portal'.
link to original post

never mind. Edited.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
moses
moses
March 26th, 2022 at 9:18:58 AM permalink
St Peter didn't even win their conference. They got in the dance by winning the conference tourney. Another Kentucky coach won the conference.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 28th, 2022 at 4:38:58 AM permalink

worst names of all time for a sports team - and the Contenders are:

number 3______________the Washington ℂ𝕠𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕤__________________yuck

number 2______________the Seattle 𝕂𝕣𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕟_____________you've got to be kidding

and number 1 - the all time worst name for a sports team

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙉𝘼𝙎𝙃𝙑𝙄𝙇𝙇𝙀 𝙋𝙍𝙀𝘿𝘼𝙏𝙊𝙍𝙎___________________some real geniuses came up with that one

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
March 28th, 2022 at 5:24:50 AM permalink

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙉𝘼𝙎𝙃𝙑𝙄𝙇𝙇𝙀 𝙋𝙍𝙀𝘿𝘼𝙏𝙊𝙍𝙎___________________some real geniuses came up with that one

link to original post

Kraken in my ‘top team name’ list. Love it. I give extra points to team names that don’t end in the plural ‘s’.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
March 28th, 2022 at 5:41:36 AM permalink
Geez Nashville…..why don’t they just name the hockey team “registered sex offenders.”
DRich
DRich
March 28th, 2022 at 5:47:01 AM permalink

link to original post

I like all of those names. Not as good as the Scottsdale Community College Fighting Artichokes.
billryan
billryan
March 28th, 2022 at 6:34:34 AM permalink
The Bisbee Killer Moths no longer exist as an outlaw baseball team, but you can still buy their merchandise.

It beats The Aviators.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
March 28th, 2022 at 7:12:20 AM permalink
My favorite is the Huntsville, AL Double-A baseball team called the Rocket City Trash Pandas.

Unfortunately, the Jumbo Shrimp moved up to Triple-A, so I never got to see them play the Trash Pandas.

Kraken is a meh name for a sports team, but Kraken rum is pretty good. Especially with a nice cigar.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 28th, 2022 at 7:27:46 AM permalink

you guys came up with some better ones but mine were all the highest level pro teams - NFL and NHL

if I had limited it to that I think I'd still be in the running

billryan
billryan
March 28th, 2022 at 7:43:34 AM permalink
I'm looking for a new wave of corporate ownership to bring us names like The New York Times, The Federal Express, Houston Chronicles. I also like teams that don't end in S, but not the fake ones like the White Sox.
I liked the Chicago Fire, although my cousins, the O'Leary's didn't.

I don't know why NY went with Mets, Jets, Sets, Nets, and even the now-defunct OTB tried to market themselves as the NY Bets.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
March 28th, 2022 at 7:50:11 AM permalink
I got a kick (see what I did there?) out of the MLS team names before they "Europeanized" them. Dallas FC used to be the Dallas Burn and Sporting KC used to be the Kansas City Wiz. I was watching SportsCenter one night, and they called it the "Urologist's Dream Game"... the Wiz and Burn!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
March 28th, 2022 at 9:22:02 AM permalink
There is a high school team in Texas called the cottonpickers. Robstown Texas. I’m surprised they still use that name.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 28th, 2022 at 2:43:03 PM permalink
The Rhode Island School of Design has a team called the NADs. As in Go Nads!

I thought the Richmond Spiders was odd.

There is an internet report of an amateur softball team that named themselves Off Constantly. So after a loss, their opponents might inadvertently tell people "we beat off constantly".

In Division I, there is the Presbyterian Blue Hose. A men's team, as I remember it. Maybe they should schedule a game against the Off Constantly.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
moses
March 29th, 2022 at 11:16:25 AM permalink
NFL owners approved new rules for Overtime.

Both teams will get one full possession. If a team scores a touchdown on the first possession of the overtime, the other teams gets a full possession -if they then score a TD and tie the score, the overtime becomes sudden death. If the second team's possession extends beyond the 15 minute length of the OT period, the teams will play on until both teams have had a full possession.

Clearly stated to be in response to the Chiefs/Bills Playoff game and the disproportionate importance of the coin flip to deciding the outcome of playoff games.

Hooray.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
March 29th, 2022 at 2:34:05 PM permalink
Regular season and playoffs or only in the playoffs? I like it in the playoffs, and don't really care in the regular season. I enjoy the chaos a tie can play with the playoff standings.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
March 29th, 2022 at 6:47:37 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Regular season and playoffs or only in the playoffs? I like it in the playoffs, and don't really care in the regular season. I enjoy the chaos a tie can play with the playoff standings.
link to original post

Clearly the new rule about both teams getting at least one possession will apply to the regular season as well. But I also don't know how the regular season overtime period will differ from the playoff version in regards to ties or if the second team's possession will extend beyond the length of the overtime period in regular season games. The playoff games need to have a winner, the regular season games do not. I imagine that any attempt to prolong the regular season overtime period might have to be approved by the players.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
March 29th, 2022 at 8:07:40 PM permalink

link to original post

Clearly the new rule about both teams getting at least one possession will apply to the regular season as well. But I also don't know how the regular season overtime period will differ from the playoff version in regards to ties or if the second team's possession will extend beyond the length of the overtime period in regular season games. The playoff games need to have a winner, the regular season games do not. I imagine that any attempt to prolong the regular season overtime period might have to be approved by the players.
link to original post

Story I saw said new rule only for playoffs. Regular season OT rules unchanged.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
March 30th, 2022 at 6:37:40 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

link to original post

Story I saw said new rule only for playoffs. Regular season OT rules unchanged.
link to original post

That makes much more sense to me. I think the players would want to eliminate regular-season OT altogether if they could.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 8th, 2022 at 3:12:22 AM permalink

wow - lots of moves from a few franchise QBs and some slightly lesser QBs too

Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariotta , Mitchell Trubisky and Carson Wentz have all changed teams

the first few games of the NFL season involving these QBs are going to be really unpredictable imo

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 9th, 2022 at 12:15:35 PM permalink
Tragically an additional QB move will need to be made for a backup QB in Pittsburgh. Steelers QB, former Washington 1st rd pick and Ohio St. QB was struck by a dump truck and killed at 24 today while apparently trying to cross a highway on foot.

There was a chance he could have had a shot at the starting job if Trubisky struggled, Steelers had 3 unproven younger QB’s each with some starting experience but lacking success to date competing to replace Roethlisberger.
DRich
DRich
April 9th, 2022 at 2:05:49 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Tragically an additional QB move will need to be made for a backup QB in Pittsburgh. Steelers QB, former Washington 1st rd pick and Ohio St. QB was struck by a dump truck and killed at 24 today while apparently trying to cross a highway on foot.

There was a chance he could have had a shot at the starting job if Trubisky struggled, Steelers had 3 unproven younger QB’s each with some starting experience but lacking success to date competing to replace Roethlisberger.
link to original post

Very sad for the young man but I don't think he could have beaten out Trubisky.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 9th, 2022 at 4:13:09 PM permalink

link to original post

Very sad for the young man but I don't think he could have beaten out Trubisky.
link to original post

Trubisky will and would have gotten the first shot for sure. If he fails, don’t think he’s going to have the longest leash though. Haskins did beat out Joe Burrow in not so ancient history.

Either Haskins or Rudolph had a decent shot to take the job at some point in the year, the other might not have made it out of camp. Alas, all we will ever be able to do is speculate.
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
April 9th, 2022 at 4:46:06 PM permalink
Sober humans do not walk on the freeway at 6:37AM and get hit by a dump truck.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
April 9th, 2022 at 5:17:38 PM permalink
Humans with decency don’t make definitive statements of the like before they have the facts, if at all.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
Dieter
April 11th, 2022 at 3:03:03 AM permalink

Humans with decency don’t make definitive statements of the like before they have the facts, if at all.
link to original post

That looks like a comment about humans like the previous poster.... or even about the previous poster. Please try to avoid (the appearance of ) insulting our fellow members.
Thanks
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 11th, 2022 at 7:40:52 AM permalink

when someone passes, to me, its always good to look at the best of what they accomplished in their life

Dwayne Haskins had a truly great sophomore year at Ohio State which is obviously highly competitive football

highlights - his year there he had 373 completions in 14 games - averaging almost 27 completions per game and a 70 percent completion record

he also threw for 50 TDs in 14 games - 3.57 per game - and threw more than 6 times as many TDs as picks - and other great stuff is shown in the link

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2022/04/130309/dwayne-haskins-set-a-new-standard-for-ohio-state-passers-inspiring-the-elite-quarterback-play-thats-continued-ever-since

.https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dwayne-haskins-1.html

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 21st, 2022 at 3:44:33 AM permalink

Jerry West, who was one of my all time fave players, truly an amazing hoopster, is demanding a retraction from HBO for what his attorney calls a "false and defamatory portrayal" in the HBO series "Winning Time"

West is portrayed as an incompetent exec with alcohol and anger issues

that's really hard to believe since the Lakers won Championships with him as a Scout in 1980, and as a GM in 82, 85, 87 and 88

without knowing all of the details it looks like a typical example of media sensationalism

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/20/jerry-west-lakers-winning-time/

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 21st, 2022 at 5:29:19 AM permalink

please delete - on further examination my post was inaccurate

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 21, 2022
ksdjdj
ksdjdj
  • Threads: 94
April 21st, 2022 at 5:55:18 AM permalink

(message deleted)
link to original post

If you are interested the site below shows you what the closing money lines were (amongst other details).
https://www.oddsshark.com/mlb/scores

Note: Just select a date in the past after clicking on that link (as the default is always set to todays' games)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 21st, 2022 at 5:56:53 AM permalink
Quote: ksdjdj

(snip)
anyway, for the entire season so far, the faves that won - won by more than one run 78 times and did not win by more than one run 38 times

so, betting $100 each time averaging everything this way - considering every fave at -130 on the moneyline and +135 on the run line - again, this is not meant to be 100% accurate - just to get an idea - an approximation

betting the run line using these figures betting $100 - the fave would have won $10,530 on the run line and lost $3,100 on the run line for a net gain of $7,430

on the moneyline the fave would have won 109 games at - 130 - just under $77 per game for a total of $8,393

that's a pretty significant difference and based on this it looks like the moneyline bet is a much better one
(snip)
link to original post

Amended figures (?)
You have "...did not win by more than one run 38 times..." and then you have "...the fave would have won $10,530 on the run line and lost $3,100..."

I think one of those figures I have put in bold is incorrect?

---
If you are interested the site below shows you what the closing money lines were (amongst other details).
https://www.oddsshark.com/mlb/scores
link to original post

I realized too late that my post was very inaccurate and I deleted it - thanks for the info - sorry about the bad calculations I made

ksdjdj
ksdjdj
  • Threads: 94
April 21st, 2022 at 6:04:47 AM permalink

(snip)
link to original post

You can still amend the above post if you want to, I have amended my other post to say something like "message deleted"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
ksdjdj
April 21st, 2022 at 6:09:39 AM permalink
Quote: ksdjdj

(snip)
link to original post

You can still amend the above post if you want to, I have amended my other post to say something like "message deleted"
link to original post

what happened is I looked more closely at betonline.ag run lines vs. moneylines today and they were all over the place

from gaining 105 points to as little as 49 points - so, it's not in any way meaningful to average it to 65 points - each game has to be capped separately

and it's just too much work to look at the odds for each game - for me anyway - I think the estimate on WOO of the moneyline overall gaining just 2% overall against the run line for the bettor is probably accurate

moses
moses
April 21st, 2022 at 8:54:36 AM permalink

Jerry West, who was one of my all time fave players, truly an amazing hoopster, is demanding a retraction from HBO for what his attorney calls a "false and defamatory portrayal" in the HBO series "Winning Time"

West is portrayed as an incompetent exec with alcohol and anger issues

that's really hard to believe since the Lakers won Championships with him as a Scout in 1980, and as a GM in 82, 85, 87 and 88

without knowing all of the details it looks like a typical example of media sensationalism

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/20/jerry-west-lakers-winning-time/

link to original post

Thanks for commenting. Jerry West is an icon. We were talking about this at the table last night. None of us have seen the series. I can pass this on to them now.

...and as a player in the 70s.
Last edited by: moses on Apr 21, 2022
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
moses
April 22nd, 2022 at 2:01:41 AM permalink

Daryl Lamonica - the "Mad Bomber" has passed

he was an incredible 40-4-1 in the AFL and 66-16-4 - the 2nd highest winning % in NFL history

when a truly great player passes I look to look back at his YT highlights and try to remember

moses
moses
April 22nd, 2022 at 9:08:26 AM permalink
Rooster: Looking forward to your outlook on the Kentucky Derby.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
moses
April 22nd, 2022 at 9:15:08 AM permalink

Rooster: Looking forward to your outlook on the Kentucky Derby.
link to original post

I have a free account with timeform.us - a highly respected maker of speed and pace figures

I get 2 races per day free - I'm just about sure I will get their breakdown of the Derby and I will post a screenshot

moses
moses
April 22nd, 2022 at 9:19:51 AM permalink
I didn't realize Lamonica started the Immaculent reception game. His Raiders were 14-1 going into Super Bowl II.
billryan
billryan
April 22nd, 2022 at 9:53:38 AM permalink
I liked Lamonica and the Raiders of that era, but it seemed like it was always either George Blanda or Kenny Stabler who would end up coming in and winning the game in a dramatic fashion.
I know it is an exaggeration but not all that much of one. At one point, backup QB/Kicker Blanda won five straight games in the last minute, coming off the bench.
moses
moses
April 22nd, 2022 at 10:20:49 AM permalink
Lamonica was drafted by the Buffalo Bill's in 1963. Ironically, also the Green Bay Packers.
He was traded from the Bills to the Raiders in 1967 for Tom Flores and Art Powell. Now, two former Raiders coaches.
In 1972, he replaced Ken Stabler and George Blanda to overcome a 20-7 deficit against the Steelers to a 34-28 victory and a perfect 158 passer rating in that game..
Then he started 13 games before replaced by Ken Stabler in the immaculate reception game which ended the season.

He threw 6 touchdown passes in a half. Only Aaron Rodgers has duplicated this feat. His guady .791 win percentage was 2nd only to Otto Graham. Yet he only played in one Super Bowl.

What if he would've signed with the Packers instead of the Bills.🤔

He also played in the 1st Little League World Seies and was drafted by the Cubs out of high school.
  • Jump to: