EdCollins
EdCollins 
  • Threads: 14
September 4th, 2017 at 6:11:59 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

What would the general opinion be on maybe postponing the first week of the contest until Week 2, or maybe having a Week 1, but giving new players (as of Week 2) a Skip Week even if they miss Week 1?

I really wanted to get up to fifty participants, but I don't see how that's going to happen.

If I was convinced postponing it would, in fact, guarantee a bunch more players, I'd be okay with postponing it one or even TWO weeks. However, I'm not at all sure postponing it for any length of time will in fact give us a bunch more.

I asked a few of my friends if they'd like to play, and they just didn't seem interested at all.

I think all you/we can do is just send out invites to as many members as possible over the next few days and hope for the best. But yea, it doesn't appear we will get 50 this year either, and that will be disappointing. Maybe next year.
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 104
September 4th, 2017 at 6:27:15 PM permalink
I think you're probably right. What's your opinion of at least getting the thing rolling for Week 1, but announcing that anyone who would like to start in Week 2 would still have a Skip Week? I personally think that's probably a bad idea and completely unfair to whoever plays in Week 1.

I think you're right, we'll just have to accept whatever happens as whatever happens. I think all Personal Checks might be in, I'd have to check all the PM's to be sure, but I think I have all for those who committed to paying that way.

If anyone has mailed a Personal Check, please check the Official Thread to make sure your handle is on as paid and received. If it's not, I've not received your check and you should PM me, please.

I also just sent the PM to Romes, which I had done once, but apparently it didn't go through the first time.
Vultures can't be choosers.
EdCollins
EdCollins 
  • Threads: 14
September 4th, 2017 at 6:38:45 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I think you're probably right. What's your opinion of at least getting the thing rolling for Week 1, but announcing that anyone who would like to start in Week 2 would still have a Skip Week? I personally think that's probably a bad idea and completely unfair to whoever plays in Week 1.

Yea... but it certainly wouldn't be unfair if the rules were modified to allow all players two skipped weeks.

Not sure if that is the best solution however. And again, the same question would remain... how many more players do we estimate we can bring in by delaying the contest, and is that additional number gained worth it?

Looking forward to additional responses. I'm probably okay either way.

(I'm also probably okay with an additional skip week not negating or requiring any change to our bet regarding The Wiz's final percentage.)
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
September 4th, 2017 at 6:49:13 PM permalink
Ed,

Any changes to the number of Skip Weeks would not change our bet since we both agree on that.

I guess we could modify the Rules to allow two Skip Weeks, but as you point out, I don't know that it would really add any players to the game. I did just create a thread on LCB inviting everyone over there to come and participate in this game if they like, so we'll see if that accomplishes anything. I suppose it would make sense for me to do the same at LSB.

I also think that I am much more in favor of just one Skip Week, too much in terms of strategy changes with two and that really defeats the purpose of having to pick well. The idea behind the strategic use of a Skip Week (currently) is that getting to potentially use it strategically is a bonus if the player has not used it as a result of accidentally missing a week. Further, it prevents people from being penalized for just missing one week.

I would say anyone is free to PM whoever they want, but I'm probably just going to resend to past players who have not committed to playing again this year, just in case they tried to get on and were unable to. "Cold," PM's have a really low effectiveness rate, one player per 50-100, on average, I haven't tracked the exact number.

Very low, anyway, and compounded by the fact that there is no way to send one PM to multiple recipients.
PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
  • Threads: 5
September 5th, 2017 at 12:27:32 AM permalink
I'd rather leave the game as is, one skip week, and regret people missed out on such a good opportinity.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 89
September 5th, 2017 at 1:15:20 PM permalink
Quote: PlayYourCardsRight

I'd rather leave the game as is, one skip week, and regret people missed out on such a good opportunity.

Agree.

I recruited my younger son who has informed me he 'venmoed' Mission146 $50 for our entry fees.

Imagine if all entries went 0-6 week 1. Then it would be an AP move to join after week 1. Axel was trying to figure out how many faux names he was going to create....
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 188
September 5th, 2017 at 1:47:32 PM permalink
I don't have an issue with any decision that is made eventually.

Starting in Week 2 is fine by me. Starting in Week 1 is fine by me. I think having more players would make this more interesting, BUT whatever.
I remember the thirty-five sweet goodbyes; When you put me on the Wolverine up to Annandale; It was still September When your daddy was quite surprised; To find you with the working girls in the county jail; I was smoking with the boys upstairs when I Heard about the whole affair;I said oh no William and Mary won't do
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
September 5th, 2017 at 4:47:55 PM permalink
Just to clarify, new players have ALWAYS been allowed to start in Week 2, it's just Week 1 counts as their Skip Week.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
September 5th, 2017 at 11:03:51 PM permalink
I am having a lot of difficulty with the website.

That said, I would like to play again this year. I'm going to be mighty unhappy, though, if I can't access the forum to submit my picks.

But please do.count me in, and let's figure out how I should pay you.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 21
September 6th, 2017 at 5:21:10 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

I'm just now seeing this thread... as I was wondering where the NFL games threads have been =P. 2 years ago I did one where you got a fake $10k bankroll and bet money each week. I liked that one but assuming that's no longer available, I'd like to do the picks game!

Romes - Glad you enjoyed the fake $10K bankroll game. I think I administered it for 2 or 3 years, and enjoyed it. I was really hoping to get some traction and get more players but there just wasn't much interest. So given that, and the amount of time to administer it, I discontinued it last year. If there is interest again, I could do something similar again in the future. Good luck with the picks game.

• Jump to: