Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 104
August 20th, 2017 at 9:23:56 AM permalink
Greetings!

EdCollins is the first player this year to pay his Entry Fee. If you want to keep track of Entry Fee Payment, there is a post in the Official thread that will be updated as payments come in. I will probably post a summary in this thread once every day or two.

Count to Fifty Paid Players: 3 (47 more needed)
Vultures can't be choosers.
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 1
August 20th, 2017 at 10:26:51 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

SM, I'm curious... how would you have handled it? What would have been your ruling, if you were Commissioner?

As I recall, JoelDeze submitted just four picks that very first weekend, instead of the mandatory five. He did so because he was a new player and interpreted the rules incorrectly. (One of his picks was a Confidence Pick.)

As I also recall, Mission allowed his four picks. Joel wasn't penalized for not submitting a fifth pick.

I myself don't see how this was horrendous or totally unfair, to anyone, in that first week.

You say that because it was week 1, and JoelDeeze didn't win any prizes. Had it been week 15, and someone was submitting a confidence pick for the first time and made this mistake, it could certainly change the outcome of people winning money. The rules were clear to everyone, and the person who wrote them didn't enforce them properly. It would've been nice for everyone to be given a freebie like that.....

The rules should be enforced as written when you're taking money from people.

If I recall correctly, another member who didn't submit picks in time was let slide as well. Again, imagine if that person had gone on to win by 1 game..... Keep allowing the rules enforced for everyone to be broken by a few, and there will be a point at which it does indeed change who wins money and who doesn't. And I don't want to be that guy when it happens again this year.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 14
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 20th, 2017 at 11:06:17 AM permalink
Quote: SM777

Had it been week 15, and someone was submitting a confidence pick for the first time and made this mistake, it could certainly change the outcome of people winning money.

I see. Thank you for taking a moment to answer.

Had it been Week 15, I can pretty much guarantee you the ruling would have been different. It was only because it was very early in the contest (Week 1), with a new player, who had never submitted picks before, that the ruling was made as it was. One less pick for him was completely irrelevant at that point.

If I recall correctly, another member who didn't submit picks in time was let slide as well. Again, imagine if that person had gone on to win by 1 game.....

I don't recall that. However, if you're correct, I suspect it was also irrelevant. So their late picks were allowed and they end up winning the contest by one game? So what? Allowing their picks (as long as they were time-stamped before the games began) could also have meant they might lose the contest and miss out by one (or more) games!

I'm not a big fan of playing "What If."

I still shake my head when I hear blackjack players complain the player at Third Base "is killing them." I never complain or even care (or even notice) what the player at Third Base does. Whether he stands or hits or doubles is irrelevant to me. In the long run, his play, whether it was good or bad, will "help" me as much as it "hurts" me.
RisingDough
RisingDough
  • Threads: 3
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 20th, 2017 at 11:42:21 AM permalink
Count me in please PM payment details

RD
What is life if not a gamble?
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
August 20th, 2017 at 1:02:13 PM permalink

You say that because it was week 1, and JoelDeeze didn't win any prizes. Had it been week 15, and someone was submitting a confidence pick for the first time and made this mistake, it could certainly change the outcome of people winning money. The rules were clear to everyone, and the person who wrote them didn't enforce them properly. It would've been nice for everyone to be given a freebie like that.....

There is absolutely no way that set of Picks would have been allowed had it been Week 15, or anything like that. In fact, had JoelDeze not been a brand new player, they wouldn't have been allowed.

I allowed those Picks for one reason and one reason only, because the difference between four Picks (five games) or five Picks (six games) is not such that anyone could possibly know how that would affect him/her in Week 1. For instance, if JoelDeze had lost by one one-thousandth of a percentage point, then that Week 1 Pick (if a winner) would have won him the game.

Also, there is something of a history of judgment calls having to be made here and there with this game. The goal is that the game gets better every year as these situations pop up. I didn't want to have to sit around for cumulative days and come up with a forty-seven page list of Rules that accounts for every possible contingency.

However, you are not wrong, and a set of fouled Picks this year will result in an automatic use of one's Skip Week. If one has already used the Skip Week, then a fouled set of Picks shall result in an automatic 0-5 record for that week and the inability to win either of the consolation prizes.

In other words, you disagreed with my decision and I have responded by modifying the Rules such that no judgment call will ever need to be made again.

Quote:

The rules should be enforced as written when you're taking money from people.

Let's get something straight, I'm not taking money from anybody. I donate money to this contest every year and defend my own donation. I am incapable of profiting as a result of this game. The Rules even say that if I finish in First Place, Second Place receives all the Entry Fees. If Second Place were to suggest that I should receive them...I would probably discuss the possibility of splitting them, but there's no way I'd take them all.

Quote:

If I recall correctly, another member who didn't submit picks in time was let slide as well. Again, imagine if that person had gone on to win by 1 game..... Keep allowing the rules enforced for everyone to be broken by a few, and there will be a point at which it does indeed change who wins money and who doesn't. And I don't want to be that guy when it happens again this year.

Once again, I have Amended the Rules such that no picks after 10:00a.m. EST on Sunday will be valid. 10:01, doesn't matter, invalid Picks. I'm taking a hard line stance on these things now largely in response to the controversy that each judgment call results in.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 66
August 20th, 2017 at 5:28:47 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I will accept payment of the Entry Fee by the following methods, and will PM with more specifics:

1.) Electronic Transfer via the SquareCash App.---Preferred
2.) Electronic Transfer via the Venmo App---Preferred
3.) Amazon Gift Card---Preferred
4.) Personal Check
5.) Postal Money Order

Is Amazon.com eGift Card acceptable?
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
August 21st, 2017 at 4:07:55 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Is Amazon.com eGift Card acceptable?

Absolutely, that's actually what I meant.
Sparty10k
Sparty10k
  • Threads: 0
August 21st, 2017 at 3:01:12 PM permalink
I'm interested. My brother has been playing for a few years, and sounds like a lot of fun for only $25.
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
August 22nd, 2017 at 5:26:54 PM permalink
Sounds great! If you understand all the rules, I'll PM you the payment options!
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
August 22nd, 2017 at 5:47:18 PM permalink
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

There have been a few people to PM me Amazon Gift Card codes and send money via SquareCash to the same account as last year. All of that is perfectly copacetic, but:

I NOW LIVE AT A DIFFERENT ADDRESS. DO NOT MAIL ANY FORMS OF PAYMENT TO THE ADDRESS THAT YOU USED LAST YEAR. IF YOU WISH TO PAY BY CHECK OR POSTAL MONEY ORDER, THERE IS A NEW ADDRESS.

If you've already mailed to the old, there's a chance it will get Forwarded, but I wouldn't count on it. Something got sent to me from Cleveland (less than four hours from me) with Insurance and Certified on it and STILL took fourteen days to arrive...so I wouldn't count on them to forward anything.

• Jump to: