Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
May 18th, 2014 at 3:06:08 PM permalink
You guys are waayyyyyy too hard on these guys. They are quite obviously lucky but to call them buffoons or idiots is going too far.

What have they done to deserve such monikers? They have danced tot heir own tune and done their own thing.......if that is reason enough to be called names then half of humankind must be complete muppets....

I don't think he will get the trip at big sandy but now I kinda wish he does.

Either way, they should name a batch of weed after him in Cali......."Yo brother, hook me up with a gram of that Chrome Cronic"!!!!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 18th, 2014 at 3:12:07 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Exactly - a built-in excuse when CC does not get the distance. I'm rooting for NYRA on this one. What if the next TC contender uses a drug banned in NY - do they get an exception too?

Did horses get an exception to New York's Lasix ban back when it was legal in Kentucky and Maryland but not in NY?
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
May 18th, 2014 at 3:18:26 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Did horses get an exception to New York's Lasix ban back when it was legal in Kentucky and Maryland but not in NY?

Actually - I don't know. If they did give an exemption, then this breath right strip should be exempted as well.

But, if exemptions are given for the State's biggest race, why even have a rule in the first place? ( I know the answer, MONEY)
Tomspur
Tomspur
May 18th, 2014 at 3:27:31 PM permalink

Actually - I don't know. If they did give an exemption, then this breath right strip should be exempted as well.

But, if exemptions are given for the State's biggest race, why even have a rule in the first place? ( I know the answer, MONEY)

I have to agree here. In no way should they compromise jurisdiction rules just for the sake of one race. Where does it stop? Where do you draw the line? If you set presedence, no matter what race is involved then you are stuck.

Will be interesting to see what they do. I have spoken to two or three trainers in South Africa and they seem to think that the strip makes a HUGE difference but it is very expensive and you can only use it once.

Tree, you got any opinions about the strip?
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
May 18th, 2014 at 3:29:04 PM permalink
Anybody catch his POST RACE interview>?

Where he thanked the people for the great time and said Churchill needs to learn from them?

http://larrybrownsports.com/horse-racing/california-chrome-owner-steve-coburn-churchill-downs/229676
aceofspades
aceofspades
May 18th, 2014 at 3:29:37 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

I have to agree here. In no way should they compromise jurisdiction rules just for the sake of one race. Where does it stop? Where do you draw the line? If you set presedence, no matter what race is involved then you are stuck.

Will be interesting to see what they do. I have spoken to two or three trainers in South Africa and they seem to think that the strip makes a HUGE difference but it is very expensive and you can only use it once.

Tree, you got any opinions about the strip?

Why wouldn't every horse in the TC be using such a strip? Better breathing should naturally improve performance - wouldn't it be beneficial to all horses…?
Tomspur
Tomspur
May 18th, 2014 at 3:31:42 PM permalink

Why wouldn't every horse in the TC be using such a strip? Better breathing should naturally improve performance - wouldn't it be beneficial to all horses…?

Perhpas it is due tot he prohibitive cost effectiveness?

I'm not sure why all horses don't run with them. It could aslo be that it makes no difference to horses with no breathing problems but it does to horses with some breathing issues?

We know CC is a cougher.....
aceofspades
aceofspades
May 18th, 2014 at 3:35:12 PM permalink

Perhpas it is due tot he prohibitive cost effectiveness?

I'm not sure why all horses don't run with them. It could aslo be that it makes no difference to horses with no breathing problems but it does to horses with some breathing issues?

We know CC is a cougher.....

I think if you are in the thoroughbred business, you have the money to purchase a one-off strip.
Indeed, you might be correct in that it doesn't do anything for horses without respiratory issues.

Here is the website for the Flair breathing strip
I am surprised Flair has not promoted CC on their site...
Tomspur
Tomspur
May 18th, 2014 at 3:38:54 PM permalink

I think if you are in the thoroughbred business, you have the money to purchase a one-off strip.
Indeed, you might be correct in that it doesn't do anything for horses without respiratory issues.

But if you have a stable of 100 horses, are you able to buy a flair strip for each of these horses for each of their runs?

The owners are already snowed under with vet costs and noms and, and, and. I'm pretty sure they don't want to see another $100 charge (or whatever) on the bill for "extra equipment".

But all in all I think the summation that it may only be for breathing problems is probably more accurate.
aceofspades
aceofspades
May 18th, 2014 at 3:41:17 PM permalink

But if you have a stable of 100 horses, are you able to buy a flair strip for each of these horses for each of their runs?

The owners are already snowed under with vet costs and noms and, and, and. I'm pretty sure they don't want to see another $100 charge (or whatever) on the bill for "extra equipment".

But all in all I think the summation that it may only be for breathing problems is probably more accurate.

Well, I meant that an owner with a horse in the TC should be able to justify the expense if they have a chance at making history
Tomspur
Tomspur
May 18th, 2014 at 3:44:32 PM permalink

Well, I meant that an owner with a horse in the TC should be able to justify the expense if they have a chance at making history

No doubt, it should be an absolute no brainer. I thought we were generalizing.

But if NY doesn't allow it, then it shouldn't be allowed. Now either he CC camp accepts that and comes anyway or the NY boys crumble and allow it "just this once" :)

Are you planning on going ace?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 18th, 2014 at 3:46:56 PM permalink

But, if exemptions are given for the State's biggest race, why even have a rule in the first place?

Apparently, there is no specific ban on breathing strips. The problem is New York State Gaming Commission rule 4033.8: "Only equipment specifically approved by the stewards shall be worn or carried by a jockey or a horse in a race."

It appears to be up to the stewards at Belmont Park to decide whether or not to allow the strip.
aceofspades
aceofspades
May 18th, 2014 at 3:46:56 PM permalink

But if NY doesn't allow it, then it shouldn't be allowed. Now either he CC camp accepts that and comes anyway or the NY boys crumble and allow it "just this once" :)

Not sure yet - depends on my schedule and if I want to brave the tremendous traffic that feeds into Belmont park. The street is it on is only 2 lanes on each side - traffic backs up for miles.
Tomspur
Tomspur
May 18th, 2014 at 4:27:33 PM permalink

Not sure yet - depends on my schedule and if I want to brave the tremendous traffic that feeds into Belmont park. The street is it on is only 2 lanes on each side - traffic backs up for miles.

Are there no subway lines that run out there? I can't remember that I had ever taken a subway line other than on the island.

If you don't go, think about coming out for Breeders Cup weekend at the end of the year. South Africa will be represented by a miler in the Turf Mile race. I'm going to go for both days, not a shadow of a doubt in my mind! I cannot wait!!!!
aceofspades
aceofspades
May 18th, 2014 at 4:32:39 PM permalink

Are there no subway lines that run out there? I can't remember that I had ever taken a subway line other than on the island.

If you don't go, think about coming out for Breeders Cup weekend at the end of the year. South Africa will be represented by a miler in the Turf Mile race. I'm going to go for both days, not a shadow of a doubt in my mind! I cannot wait!!!!

Out at Santa Anita? Maybe!

The Long Island RailRoad goes there ( I live on Long Island but would have to take a few transfers to make it happen - at that point, easier to drive LOL)
Tomspur
Tomspur
May 18th, 2014 at 4:38:34 PM permalink

Out at Santa Anita? Maybe!

The Long Island RailRoad goes there ( I live on Long Island but would have to take a few transfers to make it happen - at that point, easier to drive LOL)

Yeah, it will be at SA. I'm super excited about the whole deal, especially if our horse cracks an invite. I want Wise Dan to recover from his colic surgery fully so that our horse can give him a proper a** whooping :)
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
May 18th, 2014 at 5:05:30 PM permalink
The way CC won the Preakness, 1-1/2 should bot be a problem.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
May 18th, 2014 at 5:09:52 PM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

The way CC won the Preakness, 1-1/2 should bot be a problem.

Surely you jest, General A Rod lost at least 6-8 lengths due to trouble in the Preakness. bred to go distance ( Roman Ruler ) and bought by an excellent stable days before the Derby.
I sure hope the betting public thinks CC is a LOCK. I can used the money betting on General A Rod
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 18th, 2014 at 5:18:29 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Surely you jest, General A Rod lost at least 6-8 lengths due to trouble in the Preakness. bred to go distance ( Roman Ruler ) and bought by an excellent stable days before the Derby.
I sure hope the betting public thinks CC is a LOCK. I can used the money betting on General A Rod

Was general A Rod the 2 horse in Preakness? If so, CC will FINISH in front of him.
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
May 18th, 2014 at 5:18:55 PM permalink
This horse is used to running with the strip. I imagine that animals are even more creatures of habit than we are. I think running without a strip will negatively impact CCs performance.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
Tomspur
Tomspur
May 18th, 2014 at 5:21:25 PM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

This horse is used to running with the strip. I imagine that animals are even more creatures of habit than we are. I think running without a strip will negatively impact CCs performance.

To simply sum it up, for better or worse....I think you are 100% correct.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 18th, 2014 at 8:55:23 PM permalink
A friend of mine had all his faith in an expert named Watchmaker from the Bruce Drennan show. I suggested he try a trifecta and he chose 3#10#7. Turned out later Watchmaker had correctly predicted the supertrifecta in the big program but didn't mention it on the show. Just happened to find out flipping through the one left on the table. Think it's called Pierre's or something with a P and it had all the tracks in it.

Edit: Main point being he would have bet his way but didn't know it because he wouldn't know to buy a program and only saw the cable show where only the winner was discussed.
I am a robot.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
May 18th, 2014 at 9:27:38 PM permalink
I had no idea the forum was full of so many horse racing experts. Hehe
Each day is better than the next
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 9:33:25 PM permalink
WEll, Bruce has done good since getting out of prison for tax fraud. Watchmaker is a DRF tout. Make enough picks , you will get some right sooner or later.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 9:34:53 PM permalink
Aw come on treetop. The fellas did pick a 1/2 shot. You know hard that is. LOL
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 9:51:20 PM permalink
Early line CC at -130.

Two years ago, I'll Have Another was denied the use of nasal strips at the Belmont Stakes after wearing them in both his Kentucky Derby and Preakness wins.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
May 18th, 2014 at 9:53:49 PM permalink

Aw come on treetop. The fellas did pick a 1/2 shot. You know hard that is. LOL

I'm up over $800 on the derby and preakness. What are you at buzz?
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 18th, 2014 at 9:56:41 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

I'm up over $800 on the derby and preakness. What are you at buzz?

I am up about $420.
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 10:04:27 PM permalink
Fred the local drunk is up $56,386. Can I book your action? PLEASE !!!!!
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
May 18th, 2014 at 10:07:24 PM permalink
Ah that's what I thought buzz
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 10:11:53 PM permalink
Yeah, and I lost $2 on a 7/4 exacta in the Preakness. But I would love to book your action.
Tomspur
Tomspur
May 18th, 2014 at 10:14:13 PM permalink

Yeah, and I lost $2 on a 7/4 exacta in the Preakness. But I would love to book your action.

Do you have a bookmaking license?

:)
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 18th, 2014 at 10:24:18 PM permalink

BUZZ: I will pick CC and you can pick any other horse you like. $10, CC will finish in front of your pick.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 18th, 2014 at 10:32:42 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

I had no idea the forum was full of so many horse racing experts. Hehe

Takes 19 years to become addicted to horse betting-ain't nobody got time for that. I think the people commenting do pretty good and the mystery could have been predicted with absolute certainty if only LarryS could control his temper.
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 18th, 2014 at 10:32:45 PM permalink
duplicate
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 18th, 2014 at 10:32:46 PM permalink
triplicate
I am a robot.
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 10:35:40 PM permalink

Do you have a bookmaking license?

:)

\\\

Back in the 60's book making was illegal. The feds would sell you a gambling stamp. That gave the feds the right to come after bookies that did not cross state lines. They had Julius The Lord Salisbury on that rap. Was declared unconstitutional day he was sentenced to 3 years. But Feds have no sense of humor.

As John Gotti found out. As The Dapper Don, he was just another mobster. But as the TEFLON DON, well the feds hated that. Got the courts to deny John his regular mouthpiece. Then with 99% chance of conviction with tapes and witness, Feds still not satisfied.
Let Sammy the RAT cop to 14 murders for 3 year plea to RAT on John. Also let him keep his properties bought with drug money worth millions in New York. 2 and 1/2 of those 3 year spent in high class hotel, room service, etc . waiting to testify.

Feds did nail the LORD later. Day they went to pick him up at hotel room. he was gone. Never to be seen again. Best part was all they found was one chair and the Sunday Baltimore Sun. Julius even sold his furniture, while Feds had him under surveillance.
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 10:38:04 PM permalink
Hey I was born at night , but it wasn't last night. I will take the 3/5 shot. You can have any other horse LOL

I will give you even CC doesn't win Or book your bet at track odds.

DUH !
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
May 18th, 2014 at 10:39:02 PM permalink

Book my action? You going to give me better payouts than every sports bar with off track betting I can find here? Done deal. Otherwise blow your hot air somewhere else
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 10:41:12 PM permalink
What odds do you want on CC to win ? Or should we wait until after the race so you can announce your winning selection ?
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
May 18th, 2014 at 10:52:06 PM permalink
Come on buzz, we both know I'm not winning money by betting on California Chrome straight up. You want to book my action then no problem. You're going to be paying out higher than what the track payout is though, otherwise this is a giant waste of my time when I could,d go to any of the off track betting sports bars within 5 miles of my house.

I'll send $100 to mission or axel, pending their agreement, and I'll post my winning picks here the morning before the race. My $100 will be spent any way I want to bet it...meaning win, place, show, exacta, trifecta, etc... If I lose they can send you the money. If I win you pay me the same payout I would get posted from the track plus 5%. Otherwise there is no value or point in me booking my action with a random person 500 miles away and waiting for a payout when I could get my money in five minutes at the bar. What do you say?
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 18th, 2014 at 10:54:46 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Come on buzz, we both know I'm not winning money by betting on California Chrome straight up. You want to book my action then no problem. You're going to be paying out higher than what the track payout is though, otherwise this is a giant waste of my time when I could,d go to any of the off track betting sports bars within 5 miles of my house.

I'll send $100 to mission or axel, pending their agreement, and I'll post my winning picks here the morning before the race. My $100 will be spent any way I want to bet it...meaning win, place, show, exacta, trifecta, etc... If I lose they can send you the money. If I win you pay me the same payout I would get posted from the track plus 5%. Otherwise there is no value or point in me booking my action with a random person 500 miles away and waiting for a payout when I could get my money in five minutes at the bar. What do you say?

BUZZ put money on where your mouth is.
Buzzard
Buzzard
May 18th, 2014 at 11:09:48 PM permalink
let's do it !
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 18th, 2014 at 11:16:10 PM permalink

let's do it !

Do WHAT?? Make it clear please.

I will pick CC and you pick any horse you like. $10 CC will finish in front of your pick. CC might not win or on the board. Please confirm here and on PM.

Think about it first. Do your homework. My offer is always open.

Rememeber, always put your money where your mouth is!!!!!!!!!!!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 18th, 2014 at 11:56:56 PM permalink
Cc will post odds 3-1, maybe 4-1, and finish 3rd will be my predictions.
I am a robot.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
May 19th, 2014 at 9:02:31 AM permalink
Just announced by stewards, nasal strips are in.
PBguy
PBguy
  • Threads: 4
May 19th, 2014 at 11:29:18 AM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

Just announced by stewards, nasal strips are in.

Not surprisingly that didn't take long at all. I don't see it as a big issue (compared to allowing a banned drug for example) and they really don't want CC to skip the race.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
May 19th, 2014 at 12:56:22 PM permalink
I can only hope folks keep talking down CC, 3-1 would be nice.
speedycrap
speedycrap
May 19th, 2014 at 1:25:57 PM permalink
You got lucky if you get 3-2.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
May 19th, 2014 at 2:21:51 PM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

You got lucky if you get 3-2.

CC will go off at 3-5 or 4-5 in the Belmont. I will book anyone at 3-5 if they think it'll be lower.

(I correctly predicted CC would be 3-5 or 1-2 in Preakness)
  • Jump to: