Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 220
October 24th, 2022 at 3:53:11 PM permalink
There are thousands of places to discuss politics. I'd prefer this didn't become one, but I'm just one voice in the wilderness.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 24
October 24th, 2022 at 3:55:47 PM permalink
Fivethirtyeight currently has Republicans a heavy favorite for the House and almost a tossup for the Senate, with Democrats barely the favorite.

Quote: Gandler

You can always consider a "campaign sign rule" (the thread is open 180 days before a given election and closes 15 days after, or whatever timeline you think it best, that is just from my head, of course when you factor that some key States have runoffs -which will likely be in play-, this gets more complicated).
link to original post

Heck, that's way too long if you ask me. I'd say a month beforehand at most, and maybe two or three days afterwards to discuss results. That's plenty of time for all the juicy gossip.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 33
October 24th, 2022 at 5:29:25 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

There are thousands of places to discuss politics. I'd prefer this didn't become one, but I'm just one voice in the wilderness.
link to original post

It used to be,

https://wizardofvegas.com/top/

Even now many of the top threads (after three years of being banned from additional comments) are still political threads.

When the issue was first announced (in 2019), virtually the whole first page of the top threads were political, so before 2019, this was the norm.

When threads that have not had a post since 2017-2019 are still in the top list, that does say something about demand. Three of the top ten threads are about just one candidate (still three+ years later). Five of the top ten are still about politics (after three years of a ban/lock).

That is why my prediction that if this thread does allow open political discussion, it will become the most popular thread (probably for the rest of WOV history if this is the only one), is one in which I feel confident in (especially if this becomes literally the only thread to discuss politics openly all of the activity in the prior threads will be channeled into one place).

But, this historically, is not as foreign of a concept to this forum as some people believe. Politics were heavily discussed for many years (I think one reason they were banned is because it became the Lionshare of forum activity to the point where it would often drown out gambling related threads).

I agree with the sentiment that politics need to be completely banned or in the threads related to election betting need to be allowed in moderation (because its too much of a gray zone otherwise). But, allowing discussion of political betting, without discussion of the rationale behind why such bets are made seems counterproductive.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 57
October 24th, 2022 at 8:20:08 PM permalink

I honestly did not know that the free speech zone was off limits.

But, I think that would be a reasonable compromise if this thread remains open as is.

Of course, doing so will almost certainly make this thread the most active on here for several months at least (well actually probably for the next two years and beyond if you don't have strict timelines before and after elections), so you ultimately have to do what is best for the forum. You can always consider a "campaign sign rule" (the thread is open 180 days before a given election and closes 15 days after, or whatever timeline you think it best, that is just from my head, of course when you factor that some key States have runoffs -which will likely be in play-, this gets more complicated).
link to original post

One comment: The issue with political threads in WOV forums during these highly polarized times is the amount of viciousness in the posts as republican and democrats denounce each other and attempt to correct each other's "lies.' I'm not concerned about campaigning close to the elections, because it seems that no one is changing their political views based on these debates anyway.

Wizard's idea is intriguing: allow political discussion in the Election betting thread, only limited (within reason) to how issues are affecting the handicapping of the election and the perceived odds of winning elections. I would be willing to support such an experiment but I am fearful it might go off the rails quickly.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 118
October 24th, 2022 at 9:00:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This thread may as well be transferred to DT given the restrictions (or maybe the "Free Speech Zone" here with the understanding that more can be posted there within reason).
link to original post

I have never had much success with the "take it to DT" suggestion. The Free Speech Zone ended a long time ago.

However, what do you think of a lifting of the "no politics" rule during an election season? Said lifting would be limited to just ONE thread about betting the election.
link to original post

Hip hip hooray!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 436
October 24th, 2022 at 10:21:15 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I would be willing to support such an experiment but I am fearful it might go off the rails quickly.
link to original post

It will be over very quickly unless you lift all restrictions in the thread on political talk. You cannot have a discussion about the sausage without talking about how the sausage is made. Not possible.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
  • Threads: 5
October 25th, 2022 at 12:47:35 AM permalink

This seems like an impossible topic to discuss in the given parameters. {snip}
This thread may as well be transferred to DT given the restrictions (or maybe the "Free Speech Zone" here with the understanding that more can be posted there within reason).
{snip}
link to original post

Agree--the two analogies offered (sports betting and sausage making) in downstream threads are apt. Even if you limit to events and polls, you're going to get consternation. You think dice setting stirs passions? This is 10 times more volatile.

I also know I am relatively new. WTH is "DT"? I thought I saw a Free Speech Zone a couple of months ago, but I can't find it
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 82
October 25th, 2022 at 3:50:56 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

I concur with Bill
Order from chaos
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 81
October 25th, 2022 at 4:01:06 AM permalink
We should ask the Wizard if he believes the 2020 election was stolen like Trump and an entire political party believes. He was betting on Trump winning at the time. Did the wager outlets ever pay out on Biden winning or are they corrupted by Trump and are still withholding funds for the bettors who picked Biden to win?

Not sure if #BurnAdidas will be trending again on twitter today.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Oct 25, 2022
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 82
October 25th, 2022 at 4:21:33 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

We should ask the Wizard if he believes the 2020 election was stolen like Trump and an entire political party believes.

Why would we care about any one individuals opinion?
Order from chaos

• Jump to: