Thread Rating:

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 24
Thanks for this post from:
ams288MichaelBluejay
October 21st, 2022 at 10:03:27 AM permalink
Quote: JackSpade

I have thus accurately and objectively reported on her political views without urging you or anyone else here to agree with them.
link to original post

Your original comment was not phrased as an accurate and objective statement of Gabbard's views.

Not accusing you of anything, just saying your original comment was poorly worded if the intent was to simply put forth Gabbard's opinions.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1438
MichaelBluejay
October 21st, 2022 at 10:09:14 AM permalink

Gabbard seems to be cultivating a base of support among Tucker Carlson's viewers by calling out the left's anti-white racism and push for kids to get transgender surgeries.
link to original post

I knew it wouldn't take long for my warning to get ignored.

Official warning issued for making a political statement.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” -- Carl Sagan
JackSpade
JackSpade
  • Threads: 10
October 21st, 2022 at 11:28:24 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Gabbard seems to be cultivating a base of support among Tucker Carlson's viewers by calling out the left's anti-white racism and push for kids to get transgender surgeries.
link to original post

link to original post

It was a statement about politics, not a statement of my politics.

However, I understand that certain terms are politically loaded and the language one chooses to use may implicitly give away one's ideological leanings. Some issues there is no getting around it. For example, no one on the right is going to use the term "undocumented immigrant" - and no one on the left is going to say "illegal alien." Also now whether or not you capitalize the 'b' in black or the 'w' in white when referring to people can be a political tell.

So I might have given away some information about my political views by way of my representation of Gabbard's views. I don't know if it's possible for me (or anyone) to completely avoid doing so when talking about politics.

What is possible is to avoid arguing about the merits of particular political viewpoints and to avoid unnecessarily making issues out of another person's phrasing. By singling out my statement for a warning, Wizard himself may be perceived as making a political statement.

He didn't have a problem with my opinion that Trump's odds were inflated (with which he agrees) or that Biden's and Harris' odds are possibly undervalued. Of course, that opinion has nothing to do with whether I would personally vote for Biden or Harris over Trump.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1438
MichaelBluejay
October 21st, 2022 at 11:36:06 AM permalink

What is possible is to avoid arguing about the merits of particular political viewpoints and to avoid unnecessarily making issues out of another person's phrasing. By singling out my statement for a warning, Wizard himself may be perceived as making a political statement.
link to original post

If you wish to press charges on this, please file a complaint to any other moderator and I will accept whatever their ruling is.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” -- Carl Sagan
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
October 21st, 2022 at 12:02:22 PM permalink
My political wager is that this thread doesn’t stay open through the midterm election.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 436
October 21st, 2022 at 12:06:52 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

link to original post

link to original post

Quoting Tulsi Gabbard's political statement verbatim is a political statement itself.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 81
October 21st, 2022 at 12:24:35 PM permalink
I'm betting a coup will start at 2 AM on November 9th.
"Meet the new coup....same as the old coup." - We Won't Get Couped Again!
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 21st, 2022 at 12:27:16 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

link to original post

This thread is doomed.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 436
October 21st, 2022 at 12:35:06 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

"Meet the new coup....same as the old coup." - We Won't Get Couped Again!
link to original post

I had a chicken coup at one time, or was it coop. I don't remember, lots of free eggs though.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
JackSpade
JackSpade
  • Threads: 10
October 21st, 2022 at 12:35:42 PM permalink
I've never made a political wager before but am looking to do so. I assume PredictIt is the best (only?) legal place for U.S. citizens to bet on political outcomes.

Unlike ElectionBettingOdds, it shows DeSantis being favored over Trump: https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7456/Who-will-win-the-2024-US-presidential-election

Given the pricing there, I think I'd rather bet No on Trump than Yes on DeSantis.

I don't know why no other Republicans are available for trading or why Pete Buttigieg is instead. I don't think his tenure as Transportation Secretary has done any good for his presidential prospects. I'd bet No on Pete and Yes on Gavin Newsom.

• Jump to: