Thread Rating:

ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 81
October 25th, 2022 at 4:27:21 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: ChumpChange

We should ask the Wizard if he believes the 2020 election was stolen like Trump and an entire political party believes.

Why would we care about any one individuals opinion?
link to original post

Because he's the one dishing out suspensions for even mentioning the orange man is bad's name for several years running.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 13
Thanks for this post from:
BillHasRetired
October 25th, 2022 at 4:55:10 AM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

I also know I am relatively new. WTH is "DT"? I thought I saw a Free Speech Zone a couple of months ago, but I can't find it
link to original post

DT is http://diversitytomorrow.com/ , a website forum.
I believe it was specifically created as a place to send the controversial stuff deemed "Too HOT for WoV!" when the Free Speech Zone was getting imploded.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1438
unJonMission146mipletRogerKintMichaelBluejay
October 25th, 2022 at 10:13:25 AM permalink
After consulting with the other two active moderators, I have decided to lift the rule against political speech for this thread only and only until the dust has settled from the November 8 election.

All other rules will be strictly enforced. This especially includes the rules against personal insults and hate speech.

This may not be the best decision I ever made, but go ahead, say nicely what you have to say about the mid-term elections.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” -- Carl Sagan
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 24
October 25th, 2022 at 10:28:58 AM permalink
I think Republicans are going to easily sweep Congress. They have terrible ideas, but Democrats have terrible messaging. Inflation is also really hurting the Democrats, even though it's obviously a worldwide problem and very little we can do about it locally; voters are mostly too shortsighted to understand that.

I also bet 2024 sees a Republican President, especially if Biden runs again (which I guess he's already confirmed??). I'm thinking Desantis; basically Trump-lite, and without as much baggage. Then again, I'm not a Republican, so I don't know what the feeling is towards him. The GOP would be incredibly foolish to try and run Trump again.

Inflation and the recession will ease mostly by 2024-25, and whoever the next President is (Dem or Rep) and their party will probably take credit for it, even if it was obviously just a natural resolution.

I think the only way we'll have a chance at a Democratic President in 2024, though, is if inflation and any recession have cleared up considerably by election season.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 25th, 2022 at 10:30:27 AM permalink
Quote: JackSpade

I'm surprised VA governor Glenn Youngkin isn't even registering in the odds.

After the election next month, there may be some new plausible candidates. JD Vance in Ohio has a lot of rural and populist appeal. Adam Laxalt and/or Joe Lombardo in Nevada could become rising stars in a state the GOP hopes to turn red.

I'm also curiously awaiting Tulsi Gabbard's next move. She ran as a Democrat last time around but has now ditched the party. Gabbard seems to be cultivating a base of support among Tucker Carlson's viewers by calling out the left's anti-white racism and push for kids to get transgender surgeries. I don't know if she'd run as a Republican, Independent, or possibly even Libertarian. I think many Republican voters would embrace her despite being a former Democrat (Trump was too - or at least he often supported Democrats).
link to original post

So glad I can actually respond to this!

JD Vance a national candidate? That’s funny. He’s struggling to lock down his senate race in bright red Ohio, a Trump +8 state. Meanwhile Gov DeWine is cruising to re-election and is polling at like +20. Vance is just an awful candidate.

As for Tulsi, she’s just an attention whore. Always has been. The Dems caught on ages ago so she switched parties. She will never be the nominee for President of either party.

Youngkin and DeSantis are the most palatable future nominees. Assuming Trump doesn’t run and sabotage their chances.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Mission146
Mission146 
  • Threads: 135
RogerKint
October 25th, 2022 at 10:34:09 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

After consulting with the other two active moderators, I have decided to lift the rule against political speech for this thread only and only until the dust has settled from the November 8 election.

All other rules will be strictly enforced. This especially includes the rules against personal insults and hate speech.

This may not be the best decision I ever made, but go ahead, say nicely what you have to say about the mid-term elections.
link to original post

I'm glad that you guys came to this decision. I don't know that I'll actually (further) comment in this thread, but it's very difficult to say that you think something will be a good bet without attempting to justify that position, which in the world of politics betting, does involve some level of making statements about what you believe the applicable voters think.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
JackSpade
JackSpade
  • Threads: 10
October 25th, 2022 at 10:48:15 AM permalink

link to original post

LOL
JackSpade
JackSpade
  • Threads: 10
October 25th, 2022 at 11:11:44 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

So glad I can actually respond to this!

JD Vance a national candidate? That’s funny. He’s struggling to lock down his senate race in bright red Ohio, a Trump +8 state. Meanwhile Gov DeWine is cruising to re-election and is polling at like +20. Vance is just an awful candidate.

As for Tulsi, she’s just an attention whore. Always has been. The Dems caught on ages ago so she switched parties. She will never be the nominee for President of either party.

Youngkin and DeSantis are the most palatable future nominees. Assuming Trump doesn’t run and sabotage their chances.
link to original post

A candidate doesn't need to be an actual nominee in order to be a good bet. Riding a candidate's rise from obscurity to a peak of 25% in the odds could be quite profitable. I don't know whether Vance would have national appeal. Obama didn't...until suddenly after being a Senator for a few months he did.

Tulsi is campaigning for Republicans across the country, trying to build up her political capital for something big she must have in mind. If the GOP establishment tries to push Nikki Haley or some other neocon, I could see Tulsi being a big foil in the debates. Remember, Trump's campaign was almost universally dismissed as a publicity stunt in 2016 until he started winning (in his own way) debates.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 57
Dieter
October 25th, 2022 at 11:14:35 AM permalink

link to original post

It's an experiment. I intend to stay out of any partisan political discussions or make any partisan statements, and I think dieter will be doing the same. We will be playing bop-a-mole if people start getting angry and make insulting comments about other posters, or break other rules (hate speech, cursing, posting the same message nine consecutive times, etc.)

This feels like a political speech version of that film, The Purge.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 81
October 25th, 2022 at 11:52:10 AM permalink
I haven't seen The Purge, but have you seen the armed militias intimidating people at the polls?

Far-right groups are planning online to monitor polling sites on Election Day, some of them armed, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.
Stewart Rhodes, the leader of a far-right group called Oath Keepers, said his members would draw their weapons if needed.
Rhodes said he wanted to prevent "the radical left" from intimidating voters. Experts say the presence of groups like his would probably make things worse.

A QAnon-affiliated group has also been talking on Telegram, describing "heavily armed MAGA patriots" preparing for Election Day, according to the Times. The Times in turned cited the SITE Intelligence Group, which tracks extremists online.

Laws differ by state when it comes to whether you can bring a weapon to a polling site — concealed, unconcealed, or at all.
**************************************************************************************************
A federal judge blocks Texas from limiting voters to one ballot drop-off site per county and forcing them to travel long distances to cast ballots. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is expected to appeal the decision. - Oct. 10, 2022
UPDATE: In the Arizona drop box voter intimidation case, the Arizona federal court will hold a hearing TOMORROW (Wednesday) at 1pm AZ time on the motion for a temporary restraining order.
Trump will be the election denier in chief for 2022, so expect endless lawsuits after the polls close.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Oct 25, 2022

• Jump to: