Thread Rating:

OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
January 6th, 2022 at 2:02:44 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Quote: OnceDear

Quote: unJon

Hearing there’s a new variant detected in France they think is more transmissible than Omicron. Hopefully it’s on the same trend of less severity too and pushes herd immunity down the home stretch.
link to original post

Hopefully!
If it is, then Covid can take it's place in history as the dumbest bit of evolution since the giant panda.

don't count on it.
link to original post

Actually, if you listen to the scientists, each variant will spread faster and kill less.

Generally, I believe that and hope it is true of this one.
Quote:

Count on it.

I won't count on it, but I guess we will know soon.
Quote:

But you listen to the fear mongers instead.
link to original post

Listen to the fearmongers? I AM the fearmongers $:o)
Actually I'm getting more optimistic about omicron, and I listen to all sides. It's just that I disagree with some.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
OnceDear
January 6th, 2022 at 4:33:28 AM permalink
You listen to all sides? Some sides are control freaks that ignore the science. To fully understand this you need to bring in politics, theology and money. Of course at least two no no's there. I don't worry about losing this argument, it will soon die kicking and screaming with all the billies and chumpsters being properly chastised. No matter what happens (allegedly) in Arizona. Fear of death is a powerful thing.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
rawtuff
January 6th, 2022 at 5:05:20 AM permalink

Hearing there’s a new variant detected in France they think is more transmissible than Omicron. Hopefully it’s on the same trend of less severity too and pushes herd immunity down the home stretch.
link to original post

Hopefully!
If it is, then Covid can take it's place in history as the dumbest bit of evolution since the giant panda.

don't count on it.
link to original post

Actually, if you listen to the scientists, each variant will spread faster and kill less. Count on it. But you listen to the fear mongers instead.
link to original post

That’s not true. It’s an evolutionary tendency that each new virus variant will be more transmissible and less severe. It’s not a necessity that each do so. The various genetic mutations are random. And one may cause more severity and more transmissibility (see Delta vs Beta). But that would be against the evolutionary pressure, so less likely as you run time forward.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DeMango
DeMango
January 6th, 2022 at 5:16:24 AM permalink

link to original post

Hopefully!

don't count on it.
link to original post

Actually, if you listen to the scientists, each variant will spread faster and kill less. Count on it. But you listen to the fear mongers instead.
link to original post

That’s not true. It’s an evolutionary tendency that each new virus variant will be more transmissible and less severe. It’s not a necessity that each do so. The various genetic mutations are random. And one may cause more severity and more transmissibility (see Delta vs Beta). But that would be against the evolutionary pressure, so less likely as you run time forward.
link to original post

We do have the results from SWA that back up the evolutionary tendency! Nice try.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
unJon
unJon
January 6th, 2022 at 5:19:58 AM permalink

link to original post

Hopefully!

don't count on it.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

We do have the results from SWA that back up the evolutionary tendency! Nice try.
link to original post

I don’t know what SWA is. I also wasn’t trying. I was stating the science of it. Folk on both sides of the debate cherry-pick what they think is the science and ignore other bits.

I think I overall agree with you, generally. But your post above misstated and overstated what the science of evolution says.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DeMango
DeMango
January 6th, 2022 at 5:34:13 AM permalink
RSA sorry, which used to be USA (Union) SWA is now Nambia. Republic of South Africa. Where all the good news about Omricon started.
unJon
unJon
Thanked by
rawtuff
January 6th, 2022 at 5:38:51 AM permalink

RSA sorry, which used to be USA (Union) SWA is now Nambia. Republic of South Africa. Where all the good news about Omricon started.
link to original post

Correct. Omicron looking like it fits the tendency. Delta did not. Will the next variant? No one knows. Over time it will tend to evolve that way, but no particular variant needs to fit the trend.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
DeMango
January 6th, 2022 at 6:15:01 AM permalink

link to original post

I lost all faith in SWA since Herb Kelleher passed away.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 6th, 2022 at 6:22:51 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

I lost all faith in SWA since Herb Kelleher passed away.
link to original post

I hated SWA when I had to fly it for work. I'd rather take an hour cab to LGA than have to fly out of Islip on SWA.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
January 6th, 2022 at 9:55:41 AM permalink

link to original post

Hopefully!

don't count on it.
link to original post

link to original post

That's factually incorrect, it's just a general trend based on natural selection for a virus evolution to tend towards less severity and more transmissibility compared to the initial variant which jumped the species barrier over some period of time and x number of mutations.
But there is no specific inherent reason for a particular new variant to be less severe while more transmissible.
A new variant can easily exhibit both more severe and more transmissible qualities paired with optimal incubation period and waste entire population before it dies out with its hosts. There is a scientific concept in microbiology of viruses - optimal virulence, stating that a pathogen will evolve over time to an equilibrium point where its fitness is highest.

It's the combined efforts of scientists, medical workers, governments and citizens that helps weed out dangerous variants, not the virus evolution on it's own.
Tits are good, but the most important thing is the soul.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 6th, 2022 at 12:21:24 PM permalink
The day job office sent around a memo this morning that all employees need to submit proof of vaccination or a statement of vaccination refusal.

It's something to do with OSHA compliance; I'm not up on all the details since it's not my department.

Perhaps there will be new numbers to analyze soon?
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 6th, 2022 at 12:42:20 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

The day job office sent around a memo this morning that all employees need to submit proof of vaccination or a statement of vaccination refusal.

It's something to do with OSHA compliance; I'm not up on all the details since it's not my department.

Perhaps there will be new numbers to analyze soon?
link to original post

My place is asking us to click a little button where we punch in. So yes, OSHA requirement may be hitting.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
January 6th, 2022 at 12:58:27 PM permalink
I was at my doctor's office this morning and they had a new sign. When I was here about two months ago the sign said words to the effect that if you are fully vaccinated, masks are optional, but requested.
Today's sign said in VERY BIG letters- MASKS are mandatory, as we serve children who can't get the vaccine and need protection. It went on to say if anyone had an issue with this, to call a number and they would see about transferring you to a medical practice who didn't care about their patient's safety.
Last visit, they had little signs on every other chair saying out of use. This time, they had removed many chairs and each chair had a six- foot circle drawn around it.
When I asked the girl taking my blood pressure about it, she sighed and said she'd been told not to discuss it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DeMango
DeMango
January 6th, 2022 at 1:28:34 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I was at my doctor's office this morning and they had a new sign. When I was here about two months ago the sign said words to the effect that if you are fully vaccinated, masks are optional, but requested.
Today's sign said in VERY BIG letters- MASKS are mandatory, as we serve children who can't get the vaccine and need protection. It went on to say if anyone had an issue with this, to call a number and they would see about transferring you to a medical practice who didn't care about their patient's safety.
Last visit, they had little signs on every other chair saying out of use. This time, they had removed many chairs and each chair had a six- foot circle drawn around it.
When I asked the girl taking my blood pressure about it, she sighed and said she'd been told not to discuss it.
link to original post

They are getting desperate to instill fear as much as possible. With hospitalizations and deaths down, percentage wise, as infections ramp up. Wise up people, you are being played.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 6th, 2022 at 1:42:20 PM permalink
Omnicron is a bit of a paradox in that it’s much less severe in adults, more severe in children than previous variants (although comparably mild.) to my understanding.

Earliest variants flu legitimately more harmful to children, not so much this one. Difference thought to be other variants attack the lungs more, this one attacks bronchial tubes more. Hospitalization rates are NOT down for children, the opposite even if comparably less than adults.

Overreaction? Maybe. Parents tend to be fiercely protective of their children to what many would consider irrational, not so much different than pets as far as that’s concerned. Helicopter parents are going to do what they do. They’ve been asking younger people to sacrifice their livelihood at an undeterminable future cost to them for less healthy groups for a long time so probably not ridiculous to ask for the reverse of that for a shorter period of time.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 6th, 2022 at 1:46:27 PM permalink

link to original post

Market economy at work? Well, I guess that is one way.
Maybe when this is all over, that doctors practice might lose some customers in protest. It might lose some to death in the meantime, if it doesn't do this. Bit of a lose-lose situation..
All our UK hospitals, doctors, dentists etc have had chairs spaced out and mandatory masking, throughout. If the government had not mandated it, the local health authorities would have. Anyone claiming medical exemption was taken at their word.
Same with shops. I estimate 90% mask compliance in our shops at the moment.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
rawtuff
January 6th, 2022 at 1:51:20 PM permalink

They are getting desperate to instill fear as much as possible. With hospitalizations and deaths down, percentage wise, as infections ramp up. Wise up people, you are being played.
link to original post

They? "THEY?"
So Doctors and their practice managers don't know what's going on. don't have a grasp of the real stats and just want to be unpopular.

Hmmmm..... What hospitalisations and deaths do percentage wise, is a bit moot, if infection rate is cancelling out (and more) the lower sickness rate. It is indeed a numbers game. Listen to those who know the numbers well enough to risk damaging their customer relationships and STILL think it's necessary.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 6th, 2022 at 3:19:38 PM permalink

link to original post

They? "THEY?"
So Doctors and their practice managers don't know what's going on. don't have a grasp of the real stats and just want to be unpopular.

Hmmmm..... What hospitalisations and deaths do percentage wise, is a bit moot, if infection rate is cancelling out (and more) the lower sickness rate. It is indeed a numbers game. Listen to those who know the numbers well enough to risk damaging their customer relationships and STILL think it's necessary.
link to original post

In the U.S., most decisions of these types are made by a corporate manager who manages the health/hospital organizations that doctors all work for. These decisions are not made by medical doctoirs, they are made by corporation bigwigs. Just ask your doctor or his staff..
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 6th, 2022 at 4:22:19 PM permalink
Went to ophthalmologist for routine annual appointment. Had a bunch of snow, so had a few minutes of cleaning off car. The temperature taker gave me a 96. So if I had a fever of 101.4 it would have read 98.6 and made the girl just as happy to let me in. After the temperature girl their was a different worker asking me the stupid questions. No I don’t have a fever. No I don’t have COVID-19. No I don’t have any symptoms of COVID-19. The next question caught me by surprise. ‘Have you traveled out of state? I quickly answered ‘not in the last week’ and that was the last question and they let me check in.

I wanted to ask her.. ‘Oh, since our state has a HIGHER infection rate than most states, you are hoping people say “yes” to show a lesser chance of spreading Onicron?’ I doubt that is the response I would have gotten had I just said, yes, I’ve been out of state.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
January 6th, 2022 at 7:00:06 PM permalink
I just got my COVID booster shot AND a flu shot!

I went to a pizza shop to pick up a slice of pizza and there were signs all over demanding masks be worn. One sign said they weren't medical referees and with heavy fines by the state, they want you to wear a mask no matter your vax status. I think it's a $1,000 fine to the store owner, and whether they can delegate that to you the customer...idk.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 6th, 2022 at 8:54:17 PM permalink

link to original post

Around here, there are banners in the parking lot with the reception desk phone number. Call when you arrive; wait in the car until they phone you.

The waiting room chairs are basically just for decoration in the smaller clinics.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
January 6th, 2022 at 10:51:00 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I just got my COVID booster shot AND a flu shot!

I went to a pizza shop to pick up a slice of pizza and there were signs all over demanding masks be worn. One sign said they weren't medical referees and with heavy fines by the state, they want you to wear a mask no matter your vax status. I think it's a $1,000 fine to the store owner, and whether they can delegate that to you the customer...idk.
link to original post

At this point it's obvious that everyone is spreading the China Virus, whether you're vaccinated or not, it doesn't seem to stop the spread at all. The unvaxed are more likely to fill the hospital rooms though.

It looks we're going to reach herd immunity through infection, not vaccination.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 7th, 2022 at 3:23:06 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Went to ophthalmologist for routine annual appointment. Had a bunch of snow, so had a few minutes of cleaning off car. The temperature taker gave me a 96. So if I had a fever of 101.4 it would have read 98.6 and made the girl just as happy to let me in. After the temperature girl their was a different worker asking me the stupid questions. No I don’t have a fever. No I don’t have COVID-19. No I don’t have any symptoms of COVID-19. The next question caught me by surprise. ‘Have you traveled out of state? I quickly answered ‘not in the last week’ and that was the last question and they let me check in.

I wanted to ask her.. ‘Oh, since our state has a HIGHER infection rate than most states, you are hoping people say “yes” to show a lesser chance of spreading Onicron?’ I doubt that is the response I would have gotten had I just said, yes, I’ve been out of state.
link to original post

Not sure if you remember, but I mentioned that the poker game I worked I was an idiot and got there an hour early so was sitting outside a long time. My reading was 91F which IIRC you or someone said meant I had been dead for a couple hours if accurate. It was at that reading that I realized how useless the infared readings are.

The questions are as bad as the 1990s airport interrogation where they asked if your bag has been out of your control yadda yadda yadda yadda. Really, what does it matter if I have been out of state?

Meanwhile after a nephew birthday party several vaxed family members tested positive. I just stayed home with a minor cough, maybe I caught it maybe I didn't. My 5 days are up but will probably stay mostly home all weekend. Cold outside anyhow.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 7th, 2022 at 3:27:47 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

They? "THEY?"

link to original post

In the U.S., most decisions of these types are made by a corporate manager who manages the health/hospital organizations that doctors all work for. These decisions are not made by medical doctoirs, they are made by corporation bigwigs. Just ask your doctor or his staff..
link to original post

I will second that. My urologist has three offices, I see him at one he is at once a month. One of the nurses told me that we had to mask because they just rent that office and it is not their choice, at his "home" office they do not care so much. She personally is no fan of so many of the crazy rules and loves that I have the same view. She has great common sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
rsactuary
January 7th, 2022 at 3:35:11 AM permalink

according to Wolrdometers. info yesterday there were 751,512 new cases and 2,143 new deaths

but wait just a minute - they're trying to play you - right? - they have an agenda - right? - they're trying to turn everybody into submissives - right?

yeah, right - sure they are - better to get data from WOV members anecdotes - seriously_________________𝙉𝙊𝙏

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/#graph-deaths-daily

Please don't feed the trolls
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 7th, 2022 at 4:51:45 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

On that one day!
712,617 new cases and 1,814 new deaths in the United States on the day before.

Everything is relative. To the family of the deceased,( or to the member here with an anecdote), one case, one death is a lot. To 330 Million of you, it's of no significance.

Meanwhile...
Currently infected in the US, 16,619,075 out of 330,000,000 or so. Or roughly 1 in 20. The numbers are not secret.

Some of those stay home and mess up the economy by not going to work. Many carry on regardless and generously share their viral load to potentially mess up the nation's health. No need for an agenda.
People will do what people will do and we choose to avoid or embrace some risk. Pity essential workers who don't have much choice.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 7th, 2022 at 5:52:00 AM permalink

Some of those stay home and mess up the economy by not going to work. Many carry on regardless and generously share their viral load to potentially mess up the nation's health. No need for an agenda.
People will do what people will do and we choose to avoid or embrace some risk. Pity essential workers who don't have much choice.
link to original post

Life does not stop for a virus.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2022 at 7:12:43 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

link to original post

You might try sharing that with the families of the 800,000 lives that did stop because of this virus. I'm sure they will be happy to hear this.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 7th, 2022 at 8:09:26 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

You might try sharing that with the families of the 800,000 lives that did stop because of this virus. I'm sure they will be happy to hear this.
link to original post

They can be happy or not but it is reality. We still have to eat. We still need heat in our homes. The financial system has to keep moving. I have to laugh at the people who say, "people are dying and you are worried about the economy!" As if everything can stop for a month while everyone hides at home watching Netflix.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 7th, 2022 at 10:36:56 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

More and more are beginning to realize this. While a year ago there was little resistance to 'saving the children' by closing schools, now you are 'bad' if you try and close schools, EVEN THOUGH Omicron seems to be way more easily spreadable among children, AND cause more sickness! The NYC mayor said, essentially, I don't give a futz about rates, transmission, etc... our schools are staying open! And IN PERSON! I expect to be infected any day now. I keep hearing about friends, relatives, associates getting Omicron. Maybe I did have it but just asymptomatic.
As far as 'mask wearing', it does not seem to be helping with this new variant. NYC has some of the most stringent mask rules and some of the highest infection rates.

By the way, around 700,000 malaria deaths last year, an easily preventable and treatable disease. Almost all were in Africa so 'no one cares'.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 7th, 2022 at 10:43:15 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

By the way, around 700,000 malaria deaths last year, an easily preventable and treatable disease. Almost all were in Africa so 'no one cares'.
link to original post

Thank the DDT ban for that more than anything.
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
Thanked by
OnceDear
January 7th, 2022 at 10:47:17 AM permalink
I tested positive today for the first time since the pandemic started.

I am unvaxxed. I have "knock on wood" a very strong immune system. I am 41 years old and can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have been required to go to a doctor and the only time I have been hospitalized was to have my gall bladder removed.

Tuesday evening I had pretty bad body aches. I felt like I did the day after a football game in high school. Every muscle was sore, particularly my back. I had no fever, multiple temperature checks had me at 97.4-98.1 degrees. No cough. No breathing problems. However, I could not stay warm. I drank tons of gatorade, and rested in bed.

Today, I feel way better. I go take a test figuring, for the sake of others I need to see if I have it, and I do.

Honestly, today I feel almost back to 100%.

Hoping that that is as bad as it gets for me.

I'm far from an anti-vaxer or believe in any weird rituals, but I do feel the human body is designed to fight off and overcome some pretty bad things on its own. I have NEVER in my life used hand sanitizer and would like to believe that has helped strengthen my immune system. As weird as it may sound, I want my body to encounter small viruses, bacteria's, etc so when it encounters something, it knows how to fight it and knows what to do.

Maybe Im wrong, but thats just my opinion.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 7th, 2022 at 11:59:51 AM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

I am unvaxxed. I have "knock on wood" a very strong immune system. I am 41 years old and can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have been required to go to a doctor and the only time I have been hospitalized was to have my gall bladder removed.

I am guessing you had your Gallbladder removed a long time ago. I had mine removed about a year and a half ago and it was just an in and out procedure. The whole process took about 4 hours and I was home again. Didn't even require going to a hospital.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 7th, 2022 at 12:05:14 PM permalink

link to original post

Good luck with your recovery. And let's hope your immediate family stay OK.
You don't mention change in taste/smell, so probably omicron?
This variant really might be our salvation.
mwalz9
mwalz9
January 7th, 2022 at 12:11:15 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am guessing you had your Gallbladder removed a long time ago. I had mine removed about a year and a half ago and it was just an in and out procedure. The whole process took about 4 hours and I was home again. Didn't even require going to a hospital.
link to original post

My gallbladder was about 10 years ago. It was supposed to be in and out. Turns out it was full of stones and starting to gangrene. Ended up being a 2 night stay and going home with a JP Drain tube in my side. Not fun stuff.
mwalz9
mwalz9
January 7th, 2022 at 12:12:18 PM permalink

link to original post

Good luck with your recovery. And let's hope your immediate family stay OK.
You don't mention change in taste/smell, so probably omicron?
This variant really might be our salvation.
link to original post

No loss of taste or smell at all. No symptoms other than 2 days of body aches, especially in back, minor headache, couldnt get warm, but with no fever.

So far I feel pretty lucky.
DeMango
DeMango
January 9th, 2022 at 11:36:25 AM permalink
OOOps!
CDC Director Rochelle Walensky clarified that the number of children hospitalized with COVID-19 is nowhere close to the statistic put forth by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor Friday, while noting that Americans can still work to reduce hospitalization by getting vaccinated.
The numbers claimed by Sonia was 100,000. Actual figure is 3,500. No comment was given by Chump Change.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
January 9th, 2022 at 12:42:28 PM permalink
Unvaxxed Aussies Told They Won't Be Allowed To Exercise Or Go To Work - ZeroHedge
https://tinyurl.com/y2w2p89o
Keyser
Keyser
January 9th, 2022 at 10:46:38 PM permalink
I see in NY that they're prioritizing certain forms of treatment based on race. I wonder, do they have someone that's an expert at judging people's race by their skin color or do they do it by genetic testing?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-race-based-covid-treatment-white-hispanic-inequity-monoclonal-antibodies-antiviral-pfizer-omicron-11641573991
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
January 9th, 2022 at 10:55:06 PM permalink
Since it's behind a paywall, I can't read the rest of the article. But I'm gonna go with underserved communities of color.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 10th, 2022 at 2:55:52 AM permalink

Since it's behind a paywall, I can't read the rest of the article. But I'm gonna go with underserved communities of color.
link to original post

The issued guidelines are here
http://www.mssnyenews.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/122821_Notification_107774.pdf
Quote:

"Oral antiviral treatment is authorized for patients who meet all the following criteria:
• Able to start treatment within 5 days of symptom onset
• Have a medical condition or other factors that increase their risk for severe illness.
o Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a risk factor, as
longstanding systemic health and social inequities have contributed to an
increased risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19

So, the guidance takes as fact, that Non-whites are socially and medically disadvantaged, thus at greater risk and thus in need of positive discrimination in treatment.
It's not listed AS a qualifying criteria, but it IS listed as a decision influencer.
I'm pretty sure that would be illegal advice in the UK or most of Europe. Expect it to be challenged in your courts.

Hmmmmm. Pragmatic way to allocate resources, but begging for a racial discrimination accusation.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 10th, 2022 at 3:40:37 AM permalink

link to original post

http://www.mssnyenews.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/122821_Notification_107774.pdf
Quote:

"Oral antiviral treatment is authorized for patients who meet all the following criteria:
• Have a medical condition or other factors that increase their risk for severe illness.
o Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a risk factor, as

So, the guidance takes as fact, that Non-whites are socially and medically disadvantaged, thus at greater risk and thus in need of positive discrimination in treatment.
It's not listed AS a qualifying criteria, but it IS listed as a decision influencer.
I'm pretty sure that would be illegal advice in the UK or most of Europe. Expect it to be challenged in your courts.

Hmmmmm. Pragmatic way to allocate resources, but begging for a racial discrimination accusation.
link to original post

Pragmatic?

I cannot say more without getting suspended.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 10th, 2022 at 3:58:21 AM permalink

Quote:

link to original post

Pragmatic?

I cannot say more without getting suspended.
link to original post

Hi AZD,

Pragmatic is a euphemism $:o) Even I dared not say all the words I might apply.
I think we are OK in agreeing that it is a controversial, probably racist and even socialist/leftist approach being taken. No need for us to discuss the political correctness or otherwise of such a practice.
I try not to suspend here, just as I try not to get suspended. Though we generally disagree on many things, let's avoid it on this forum.
The policy is a controversial talking point best taken to DT.
DeMango
DeMango
January 10th, 2022 at 5:32:50 AM permalink
Can't we all just agree that all men are not created equal? We are all racists.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 10th, 2022 at 5:40:35 AM permalink
I wouldn’t expect it to have any legitimate influence. Medical professionals judging a specific case are more qualified and to judge the risk at play on a case by case basis. It’s simply blatantly prejudiced political theater.
billryan
billryan
January 10th, 2022 at 7:31:18 AM permalink
Early on in the pandemic, it was said that many of the sickest people were deficient in a specific vitamin. I don't recall which one it was, but at the time it was said that ethnicity and poverty were the leading reasons why people might be lacking that important vitamin. If lacking that vitamin is still a major factor in how sick covid makes you, then it should certainly be a mitigating circumstance.
Keyser
Keyser
January 10th, 2022 at 7:53:52 AM permalink
Before applying treatment, how is race determined? Genetically? Or by someone that judges your race based on your skin color?

In NY what if you're only 1/16 black? Is that black enough to receive treatment? But what if you're skin isn't dark enough and you're more than 1/4?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 10th, 2022 at 8:09:11 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Before applying treatment, how is race determined? Genetically? Or by someone that judges your race based on your skin color?

In NY what if you're only 1/16 black? Is that black enough to receive treatment? But what if you're skin isn't dark enough and you're more than 1/4?
link to original post

I am very fortunate that during my career I never had to decide on if someone would get treatment based on race. Or gender. Or income. Or even if they were incarcerated. If there is a limited supply of a treatment for COVID, I know some who firmly believe that the vaccinated should get first dibs, as if all were vaccinated there would be no shortage.

To me it is simple. Pick one of these two options.
1. First come, first served.
2. Most in need. There are easy ways to determine who is sicker, using quantifiable metrics.
Keyser
Keyser
January 10th, 2022 at 8:26:53 AM permalink
You sound like a good doctor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 10th, 2022 at 9:03:21 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

link to original post

I don't know how they apply it, but if you're saying it's undeterminable, then it's more or less meaningless. It's as if you've been given a directive that if a Martian or a Venusian shows up you should prioritize the Martian. Well, if you don't know how to prioritize the two, because you have no idea what constitutes a Martian from a Venusian you can't apply it, can you?

So, no problem. Just ask for a clarification or don't apply it.

Anyway, urgent healthcare is usually structured by saving life or limb moving to the head of the line. All else is first serve. (one exception can be where little can be done to save someone, so they move resources to someone not as dire who can be saved)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: