Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 10th, 2022 at 9:11:15 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote: Keyser

Before applying treatment, how is race determined? Genetically? Or by someone that judges your race based on your skin color?

In NY what if you're only 1/16 black? Is that black enough to receive treatment? But what if you're skin isn't dark enough and you're more than 1/4?
link to original post

I don't know how they apply it, but if you're saying it's undeterminable, then it's more or less meaningless. It's as if you've been given a directive that if a Martian or a Venusian shows up you should prioritize the Martian. Well, if you don't know how to prioritize the two, because you have no idea what constitutes a Martian from a Venusian you can't apply it, can you?

So, no problem. Just ask for a clarification or don't apply it.

Anyway, urgent healthcare is usually structured by saving life or limb moving to the head of the line. All else is first serve. (one exception can be where little can be done to save someone, so they move resources to someone not as dire who can be saved)
link to original post

My priority would be by age. Save the younger people first as in general they have more to live for.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
January 10th, 2022 at 9:43:25 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

To me it is simple. Pick one of these two options.
1. First come, first served.
2. Most in need. There are easy ways to determine who is sicker, using quantifiable metrics.
link to original post

Not "who is most likely to pay, or how much did they bid?".
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
January 10th, 2022 at 9:45:13 AM permalink
WalMart said they would bill your insurance for a vaccine. If you didn't have insurance, the cost would be picked up somehow (supposedly by the gov't), so the patient wouldn't have to pay anything.

I'm waiting 2 weeks for the shot to take effect. But, checking my phone, the 7-day average of daily new COVID cases in my area has surged from 57 two weeks ago to 227 today, or up to 4X, or +300%. Total cases have more than doubled since 7 months ago, and deaths are up 50%.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
January 10th, 2022 at 9:52:30 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

WalMart said they would bill your insurance for a vaccine. If you didn't have insurance, the cost would be picked up somehow (supposedly by the gov't), so the patient wouldn't have to pay anything.
link to original post

Seriously? I never will understand your healthcare system. That almost feels like insurance fraud. "We will invoice your insurance $xxx, but if you don't have insurance, we'll invoice the government... But either way, we won't sue, cos we have such massive margins."

^Not a quote.

1 in 18..... Avoid him. Don't be him.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 10th, 2022 at 9:59:50 AM permalink
US healthcare system is convoluted enough it makes the tax code and regulations seem like kindergarten in comparison.

The at home COVID tests being 8x the cost they are in Europe was apparently a pricing “deal” the retailers worked out with the government. Now that the “deal” expired, the prices are going up even more. But hey, it’s reimbursed by insurance!
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
January 10th, 2022 at 10:00:46 AM permalink
There were some Presidential Executive Orders used to make vaccines more available in the past few days.
Biden to speak Thursday maybe about a new gov't website where people can sign up for free home COVID tests. He's signing contracts for 500 million home tests this week.
Chicago schools shutdown, and not even the distribution of KN95 masks will bring the teachers back. Less than 20% of kids ages 5-11 are vaccinated. Kids are overwhelming hospitals. COVID can cause diabetes in kids too.

*CDC RAISES CANADA COVID ADVISORY TO `VERY HIGH'
CDC TELLS AMERICANS TO AVOID TRAVEL TO CANADA
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Jan 10, 2022
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 10th, 2022 at 10:02:11 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

link to original post

Seriously? I never will understand your healthcare system. That almost feels like insurance fraud. "We will invoice your insurance $xxx, but if you don't have insurance, we'll invoice the government... But either way, we won't sue, cos we have such massive margins."

^Not a quote.

link to original post

You don't have to understand it. Just embrace it. If you have insurance, it is covered. If you don't, then the Govt will pick up the tab. It's not like they are billing twice.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 10th, 2022 at 11:08:02 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: OnceDear

link to original post

^Not a quote.

link to original post

You don't have to understand it. Just embrace it. If you have insurance, it is covered. If you don't, then the Govt will pick up the tab. It's not like they are billing twice.
link to original post

Uh-Uh. If your insurance company has to pay the cost for a large number of procedures then they will tend towards recovering that cost by raising premiums in future years. There's no free lunch.

However:

I am uncertain, but I thought that the US federal government was reimbursing insurance companies for vaccination costs and that that procedure was adopted because it is easier for the government to audit and reimburse insurance companies than to reimburse every pharmacy and health care provider that is offering vaccines.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
January 10th, 2022 at 11:48:28 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I am uncertain, but I thought that the US federal government was reimbursing insurance companies for vaccination costs and that that procedure was adopted because it is easier for the government to audit and reimburse insurance companies than to reimburse every pharmacy and health care provider that is offering vaccines.

I don't believe that is the case at all. The IC will be out the money for testing and vaccination costs for their covered members.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
January 10th, 2022 at 12:24:18 PM permalink
Just heard a report from a drive-thru COVID testing site in California; it's around $100 per test.

Schoolkids in NYC are eating their lunch outdoors where it's 17 degrees and snowy.
DRich
DRich
January 10th, 2022 at 12:40:09 PM permalink

Just heard a report from a drive-thru COVID testing site in California; it's around $100 per test.

Schoolkids in NYC are eating their lunch outdoors where it's 17 degrees and snowy.
link to original post

"We don't need no education"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 10th, 2022 at 4:36:10 PM permalink

link to original post

I too am uncertain, but I reasonably expect that the major pharmacy retailers also have an affiliated insurance company, for things like medicare supplemental benefit provision.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
January 10th, 2022 at 5:17:39 PM permalink
I don't understand why we're still having problems with test shortages? And why do we have such a shortage of monoclonal antibody treatments as well as therapeutics like Pfizer's pill?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 10th, 2022 at 5:28:26 PM permalink

I don't understand why we're still having problems with test shortages? And why do we have such a shortage of monoclonal antibody treatments as well as therapeutics like Pfizer's pill?
link to original post

Making tests is relatively easy once you are set up. Distribution and logistics are harder. We probably have a warehouse full of tests maybe a few. Had they put Wal-Mart in charge of distribution we would be stocked everywhere.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 10th, 2022 at 6:13:51 PM permalink

link to original post

Abbott (the leading home test provider) cut like half of the workforce they had hired this summer when demand dropped.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
January 11th, 2022 at 7:29:52 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

Abbott (the leading home test provider) cut like half of the workforce they had hired this summer when demand dropped.
link to original post

If Abbott's staff cutback occurred as you noted, it identifies a major reason for the test shortage.

But, don't forget! C-virus cases are exploding everywhere, with children affected most by the Omicron variant. USA virus positivity levels today are 26 percent (a record high!) Johns Hopkins also shows Nevada at a 79% positivity level. People, perhaps people who are trying to be as "safe" as they can, have begun to test themselves. I know my neighbors are searching for all the home test kit options available to them.

Between staff cutbacks and increased demand, it should be pretty clear to most careful observers why we currently have test shortages. Keyer also asks about monoclonal antibody treatments and therapeutics. Is there really such a shortage as Keyser claims or not? Data, if anyone has any to share, might indicate how many therapies and treatments we would need to have if we didn't have a shortage. IMHO, instead of more therapies & tests, what we need is one that works completely.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 11th, 2022 at 7:53:15 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: rsactuary

The Wall Street Journal does not have any sort of degree in science. I'm not discounting the possibility of a lab leak, but we need something better than a random scientist who is giving an opinion. All of this doesn't really distort the fact that you're racist.
link to original post

Personal insult. 3 days.
link to original post

rsactuary suspended?! What is the world coming to?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
January 11th, 2022 at 11:38:23 AM permalink
I had had some beverages that night. :-) No comments on whether I regret it, lest I get suspended again.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 11th, 2022 at 1:00:46 PM permalink
Man, everyone everywhere is out sick now. Just spent almost four hours for an oil change and four tires to get done that I had a one hour appointment for. Saw them first pulling the car in as I was walking back over an hour after dropping car off. Only two technicians working.

Dunkin had one employee out of the normal three working last Saturday.

I suppose this is to be expected when you live among lowest vaxx rate, highest obesity rates state.
DRich
DRich
January 11th, 2022 at 4:19:43 PM permalink
I am currently spending the day and night in the Emergency Room. I expect I will have Covd by the time I am released.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 11th, 2022 at 4:45:44 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am currently spending the day and night in the Emergency Room. I expect I will have Covd by the time I am released.
link to original post

Implication being you do not have it before entering the ER. I’d have done a risk/benefit analysis before going to the ER unless it is truly an emergency that brought you there. Omicron spreads so easily hard to imagine that sitting in an ER for over 12 hours you won’t at least be exposed.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
January 11th, 2022 at 4:48:05 PM permalink
I've got 3M 8511 masks with an exhalation vent that I bought before March 2020. I was reading yesterday that they will protect me but not the people I'm around and I should wear a cloth mask over the 8511. Having the exhalation vent kind of reduces heat buildup from your breath within the mask so I prefer it. I wore it to go grocery shopping last night and woke up today with a bit of head congestion, but I was out in a blizzard last night so I can't blame the COVID yet.
I've got to track down some 3M 8210 masks.
Keyser
Keyser
January 11th, 2022 at 5:41:15 PM permalink
Unless you're wearing a fitted N95 or KN95 and replacing with each exposure then you're wasting your time wearing a mask.
DRich
DRich
January 11th, 2022 at 5:51:35 PM permalink

link to original post

Implication being you do not have it before entering the ER. I’d have done a risk/benefit analysis before going to the ER unless it is truly an emergency that brought you there. Omicron spreads so easily hard to imagine that sitting in an ER for over 12 hours you won’t at least be exposed.
link to original post

i think it was prudent as my doctor said that 259/149 was a walking stroke. i was at his office and he was going to call an ambulance. that and some blood in the urine was enough to scare me since i only have one kidney.

by the way, it is hard to type with two iVs in my left arm and a pulseox on my index finger while the blood pressure cuff on my right arm is firing off every 10 minutes.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 11th, 2022 at 7:15:09 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

i think it was prudent as my doctor said that 259/149 was a walking stroke. i was at his office and he was going to call an ambulance. that and some blood in the urine was enough to scare me since i only have one kidney.

by the way, it is hard to type with two iVs in my left arm and a pulseox on my index finger while the blood pressure cuff on my right arm is firing off every 10 minutes.
link to original post

Gulp. Agree. COVID is the least of your worries. That BP for a person with one kidney is doubly worrisome. Please follow Drs. Orders with regards to medication! Blood in urine might be a second issue. Good luck.
Gundy
Gundy
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
DeMangoRogerKint
January 12th, 2022 at 4:41:35 AM permalink

Unless you're wearing a fitted N95 or KN95 and replacing with each exposure then you're wasting your time wearing a mask.
link to original post

Yep. my Titleist golf hat provides as much protection as a mask.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
Gundy
January 12th, 2022 at 8:22:25 AM permalink
Quote: Gundy

link to original post

Yep. my Titleist golf hat provides as much protection as a mask.
link to original post

Such a shame only one like allowed!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 12th, 2022 at 8:41:14 AM permalink
Quebec has done the math! Something like 90% eligible are vaccinated. 50% of ICU beds are filled by unvaccinated. Unvaccinated will now have some sort of added tax levied on them! I wonder if this will open the floodgates there? Tax per each pound over 200? Tax for smoking? For using alcohol? Etc….
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 12th, 2022 at 8:55:07 AM permalink

Quebec has done the math! Something like 90% eligible are vaccinated. 50% of ICU beds are filled by unvaccinated. Unvaccinated will now have some sort of added tax levied on them! I wonder if this will open the floodgates there? Tax per each pound over 200? Tax for smoking? For using alcohol? Etc….
link to original post

There’s some logic to these ideas and in particular something at some point needs to be done about the obesity epidemic in the US beyond enabling and incentivizing them by rewarding them with handicapped parking spaces.

However, healthcare costs tend to be highest and heavily subsidized for old people. People who make it over 80-90 were generally not overweight or significantly so in their adult lives past middle age. So if you play the averages seems like most people at some point are getting their healthcare subsidized at the expense of the more healthy.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
gordonm888RogerKint
January 12th, 2022 at 8:56:06 AM permalink
Be nice to Bill, still in red
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
DRich
DRich
January 12th, 2022 at 9:09:03 AM permalink

link to original post

i would be all for it. i am one of the few that like the airlines breaking down and charging for everything.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 12th, 2022 at 2:08:19 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

259/149? Good lord, Drich, please let us know when and if you are out of danger. Your immediate blood pressure problem is hereby granted a waiver from being penalized for being "off-topic" in this thread.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
January 12th, 2022 at 3:01:52 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

259/149? Good lord, Drich, please let us know when and if you are out of danger. Your immediate blood pressure problem is hereby granted a waiver from being penalized for being "off-topic" in this thread.
link to original post

Thank you. I am still in the hospital for at least another night. BTW, I am not really sure it was off topic as the thought was would the math justify going to the hospital and potentially getting Covid. I believe Dr Soopoo blessed my choice.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 12th, 2022 at 3:52:44 PM permalink

link to original post

I hope you come out of whatever you have as quickly and painlessly as possible and without pick up Corona.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Keyser
Keyser
January 12th, 2022 at 5:36:49 PM permalink

Unvaccinated will now have some sort of added tax levied on them! I wonder if this will open the floodgates there? Tax per each pound over 200? Tax for smoking? For using alcohol? Etc….
link to original post

That's disgusting. That's not leading the way, that's dividing a country. The way you get more people to get vaccinated is through a positive message and incentivizing the vaccine. Belittling, and bigotry towards the unvaxed only makes them more defiant and it costs lives. It's the same appalling situation here in the US.

They need to stop calling this a pandemic of the unvaxed and tell the truth.
The message needs to be honest and positive. They need to admit that getting vaxed doesn't prevent infection, but that it does help prevent serious illness and death. Over 95% of the population over 60 is fully vaxed, yet infection rates are higher than ever.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
Thanked by
rawtuff
January 12th, 2022 at 6:57:48 PM permalink
Hospitals would demand you get vaxxed and boosted or there will be no beds available for anyone. The McDonald's epidemic is not filling hospitals to the brim.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 12th, 2022 at 7:02:45 PM permalink

Hospitals would demand you get vaxxed and boosted or there will be no beds available for anyone. The McDonald's epidemic is not filling hospitals to the brim.
link to original post

The combo meal of the two combined might be.

Anyways, hospitals have become the boy who cried wolf about how they’re stretched before the pandemic ever began, they just don’t have enough credibility left there for the public at large to believe them. I’ve never once heard a hospital say they’re not needing more staff, and somehow they’ve always managed to get by.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
January 12th, 2022 at 7:13:45 PM permalink
State of emergency in Virginia due to COVID hospitalizations | wusa9.com
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/virginia/state-of-emergency-virginia-hospitalizations-covid-omicron/65-af4bb5ed-d9b2-47fc-ad85-24388ee10f32

Northam confirmed that the overwhelming majority of those hospitalized are currently unvaccinated patients.
"Ultimately, the best thing everyone can do for our hospitals and their staff is to get vaccinated."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 12th, 2022 at 7:14:36 PM permalink

link to original post

The combo meal of the two combined might be.

Anyways, hospitals have become the boy who cried wolf about how they’re stretched before the pandemic ever began, they just don’t have enough credibility left there for the public at large to believe them. I’ve never once heard a hospital say they’re not needing more staff, and somehow they’ve always managed to get by.
link to original post

You are usually well informed, but not on this one! In the beginning of the pandemic hospitals were so overrun they were putting beds in lobbies, having regular beds used as ICU beds, used Anesthesia Machines as substitute ventilators, opened tent adjuncts to hospitals, ran out of morgue space, etc. if by ‘get by’, you mean provide care that most people would not be happy with, then, yes, they got by!
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 12th, 2022 at 7:21:05 PM permalink
Sure, they were legitimately overrun at that time. My point remains, has any hospital in the US ever not claimed to be needing more nurses/staff? Made it ring hollow during this.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
January 12th, 2022 at 7:25:07 PM permalink
What is your point? We've got National Guard entering hospitals to help.
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
January 12th, 2022 at 7:41:24 PM permalink

They need to admit that getting vaxed doesn't prevent infection, but that it does help prevent serious illness and death.
link to original post

But that's exactly what has been said all the time? No authority on the matter has claimed that the vaccines developed for C19 are giving sterilizing immunity. It's prophylactic immunity that the vaxx are capable of providing and the info about it is readily available to the public.
Tits are good, but the most important thing is the soul.
Keyser
Keyser
January 12th, 2022 at 8:49:17 PM permalink
No, that's not what we were told from the start. Far from it.

To make matters worse, they demonize, and belittle the unvaxed and lead people to believe that they're responsible for spreading the virus. It's appalling.
rawtuff
rawtuff
January 12th, 2022 at 11:31:14 PM permalink
Unvaxxed people are far more transmissible than vaxxed that's a fact, not a propaganda. If you develop worse symptoms for longer period of time you will infect more people than someone with infection but who coughs less often and his body is overwhelming the infection in shorter time.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 13th, 2022 at 5:52:04 AM permalink

Sure, they were legitimately overrun at that time. My point remains, has any hospital in the US ever not claimed to be needing more nurses/staff? Made it ring hollow during this.
link to original post

My nephew just passed his test to be a licensed RN. The hospital closest to where he lives did not have a job for him. I don’t know what the hospital ‘claims’, but there was no job for him.

I’ve worked with 3 different hospital CEOs during my career. As far as my department, which included both staff physician Anesthesiologists and CRNAs, WE always felt we needed more staff, while the CEOs felt we needed less!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
SanchoPanza
January 13th, 2022 at 6:00:46 AM permalink

link to original post

My nephew just passed his test to be a licensed RN. The hospital closest to where he lives did not have a job for him. I don’t know what the hospital ‘claims’, but there was no job for him.

I’ve worked with 3 different hospital CEOs during my career. As far as my department, which included both staff physician Anesthesiologists and CRNAs, WE always felt we needed more staff, while the CEOs felt we needed less!
link to original post

I always hear that we have a shortage of nurses then I hear something like this. Makes you wonder.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
January 13th, 2022 at 6:28:46 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I think I have to admit I’m speaking mostly from a place of fatigue and being over/done with this all.

No personal concern given my health/vaccination status. Do not have exposure to children who don’t have a choice and having no sympathy for anyone who’s more likely to get a severe case based on their choices.
Keyser
Keyser
January 13th, 2022 at 8:08:53 AM permalink
Quote: rawtuff

Unvaxxed people are far more transmissible than vaxxed that's a fact, not a propaganda.
link to original post

That's simply not true. Vaxed and unvaxed are spreading the Omicron at the same rate.

Considering the fact that most of the people eligible for the vax have received one, yet we're at the highest rate of infection ever should tell you all you need to know.
The fact is, the vax simply doesn't prevent infection. It only protects against serious illness.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
rawtuffTumblingBones
January 13th, 2022 at 8:25:37 AM permalink
Quote:

Vaccinated people can still become infected and have the potential to spread the virus to others, although at much lower rates than unvaccinated people.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rawtuff
rawtuff
January 13th, 2022 at 8:57:09 AM permalink

Quote: rawtuff

Unvaxxed people are far more transmissible than vaxxed that's a fact, not a propaganda.
link to original post

Considering the fact that most of the people eligible for the vax have received one, yet we're at the highest rate of infection ever should tell you all you need to know.

link to original post

Due to the nature of this pathogen and its currently dominant variant (Omicron) and the nature of the vaccines available the population should be vaccinated with a recent (best no older than 3 months) booster shot in order to have significant enough level of antibodies.
Of American adults who are fully vaccinated, only about 30 percent have received a booster, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And among all Americans, only about one in six has received a booster.

And, yes, vaccines are not that effective against Omicron due to the high number of mutations in the variant - about 70% compared to about 90% against Delta.
People who are not vaccinated, but have been infected with C19 in the past 3-5 months and survived without complications will have even better immune response to Omicron than just vaccinated. Still, vaccines do have high positive effect on lowering the rate of transmission even if not preventing infection alone.
  • Jump to: