Thread Rating:

ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
Thanked by
OnceDear
December 21st, 2021 at 9:22:48 AM permalink
Omicron is not wiping out Delta, it's just going to have a ridiculous multiplier of Delta cases shortly.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
December 21st, 2021 at 9:30:45 AM permalink

Trump was booed in Dallas Sunday night after revealing to the audience that he got his booster shot

that is an excellent example of how far gone these geniuses are

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-reveals-he-got-covid-booster-shot-crowd-boos-him-n1286361

Please don't feed the trolls
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
December 21st, 2021 at 9:35:37 AM permalink
The European Commission announced Tuesday that European Union (E.U.) Digital COVID Certificates, which are required to travel around the bloc, will expire after nine months of being fully vaccinated or receiving a booster shot.

The change to the system, which has been in place since July, comes amid rising fears over the new omicron variant, which has many countries in the E.U. considering or imposing increased health precautions and restrictions on travel.

"The new rules will ensure restrictions are based on the best available scientific evidence as well as objective criteria. Continued coordination is essential for the functioning of the Single Market and it will provide clarity for EU citizens in the exercise of their right to free movement," The European Commission (EC) said in its Tuesday statement.

Despite the new rules, which go into effect on Feb. 1, individual countries can still require visitors to quarantine or show a negative COVID test, according to the New York Times.

Across the E.U., 807 million digital COVID-19 certificates have been issued in 60 countries and territories that use the system, the commission reported.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
December 21st, 2021 at 9:43:27 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

It looks like omicron is wiping out the delta variant. Three weeks ago, Delta was over 99% of the new cases, now it is down to 27%
Hopefully, that is a good thing.
It appears the NHL is going to take an early Christmas break, meanwhile, the NFL has decided to severely cut its testing protocol.
link to original post

Any evidence that Delta infection numbers are falling?

And I really can't be bothered to look it up.

Since Omicron does not attack or harm Delta, the only way it pushes delta infections down is to starve it of victims to infect. Nowhere near that, yet. The two pandemics can run in parallel for a while longer.

Cut the testing protocol? Is that head in the sand policy?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 21st, 2021 at 9:45:09 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Trump was booed in Dallas Sunday night after revealing to the audience that he got his booster shot
that is an excellent example of how far gone these geniuses are
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-reveals-he-got-covid-booster-shot-crowd-boos-him-n1286361
link to original post

Warning for straying into politics: Rule 19
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 21st, 2021 at 9:53:58 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Of course.(sort of…) The NFL has decided that allowing players to play if infected but not appearing ill overrides the value of protecting those uninflected. It’s a business decision. They don’t want Nick Mullens QBing the Browns again.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
December 21st, 2021 at 9:57:02 AM permalink
Omicron may sideline two leading drugs against COVID-19
The rapidly-spreading omicron variant may soon leave U.S. doctors without two of the standard treatments they’ve used to fight COVID-19

For more than a year antibody drugs from Regeneron and Eli Lilly have been the go-to treatments for early COVID-19, thanks to their ability to head off severe disease and keep patients out of the hospital.

But both drugmakers recently warned that laboratory testing suggests their therapies will be much less potent against omicron, which contains dozens of mutations that make it harder for antibodies to attack the virus. And while the companies say they can quickly develop new omicron-targeting antibodies, those aren’t expected to launch for at least several months.
More:
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/omicron-sideline-leading-drugs-covid-19-81844108
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 21st, 2021 at 9:58:27 AM permalink

It looks like omicron is wiping out the delta variant. Three weeks ago, Delta was over 99% of the new cases, now it is down to 27%
Hopefully, that is a good thing.
It appears the NHL is going to take an early Christmas break, meanwhile, the NFL has decided to severely cut its testing protocol.
link to original post

Any evidence that Delta infection numbers are falling?

And I really can't be bothered to look it up.

Since Omicron does not attack or harm Delta, the only way it pushes delta infections down is to starve it of victims to infect. Nowhere near that, yet. The two pandemics can run in parallel for a while longer.

link to original post

Its mental math. A month ago there were 100,000 new cases a day, almost all delta. Now we are at 200,000 and Omicron is roughly 75% so delta numbers appear to be down substantially and reports from the SouthEast are showing up to 95% of new cases being the new kind.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
December 21st, 2021 at 10:00:13 AM permalink
Maybe half a billion tests will change some of this math. Stay tuned this afternoon for an announcement on the TV, maybe at 2:30pm ET.

Mile long car lines for COVID tests, but nobody is getting their booster shots at the same location.

Walgreens limiting purchases of at-home COVID-19 tests due to 'incredible demand'
Customers can only purchase up to four at-home COVID-19 testing kits at Walgreens.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Dec 21, 2021
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
December 21st, 2021 at 10:02:50 AM permalink
It's part of the price that we sometimes pay when when we do battle with a virus or bacteria. Each time we develop a vaccine or antibiotic, the virus or bacteria eventually finds a way around it. Without the vaccine we're doomed, with the vaccine we pressure more mutations that evade the vaccine and potentially doom us yet again.

I really hope that China pays for their blunder.
Last edited by: Keyser on Dec 21, 2021
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
December 21st, 2021 at 10:59:25 AM permalink
Queen's Brian May urges fans to get vaccinated after 'horrendous' COVID-19 battle
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/586739-queens-brian-may-urges-fans-to-get-vaccinated-after-horrendous
"Spare him his life from this monstrosity!"

1% of Manhattan has Omicron. Manhattan had 810 new daily COVID cases a week ago Monday, yesterday was 5681 new daily COVID cases, or a 600% increase. Deaths are in the single digits though.
NYC to give $100 to people who get their boosters at city sites by the end of the year.

I just got a text on my phone to schedule a vaccination at a mass vaccination site 50 miles away. Last time this happened, the schedule was filling up by the week faster than I could click "refresh".
I checked with the local Rite Aid and they said there's a 4 day wait and don't bother with the 1 hour drop-in window each afternoon. Rite-Aid is gonna close a lot of stores soon.

CNN is closing all its offices in the United States as COVID-19 cases have recently increased across the country, the cable station announced on Dec. 18.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Dec 21, 2021
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 21st, 2021 at 11:13:28 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Mile long car lines for COVID tests, but nobody is getting their booster shots at the same location.

Crazy. It is a virus test not a Metallica concert.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
December 21st, 2021 at 12:42:44 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Yes, imagine people standing in line to help assure that they stay alive so that they CAN go to a Metallica concert at some point in the future. How odd.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 21st, 2021 at 12:47:33 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Yes, imagine people standing in line to help assure that they stay alive so that they CAN go to a Metallica concert at some point in the future. How odd.
link to original post

Waiting in a one mile line for a virus check is very odd. Seeing as how we are filling stadiums for football no reason cannot fill one for Metallica assuming they are touring.
kewlj
kewlj
December 21st, 2021 at 12:53:17 PM permalink
So with these reports that severe illness and hospitalization are not as severe with Omicrom, I said over the weekend that I think that conclusion is premature, because severe illness and hospitalizations and ultimately death comes weeks even a month later. I still feel that way, but each day the data looks more promising. I still want to give it 2 weeks, so maybe over the New Years Weekend if severe illness continues to be less, I will start very comfortable.

By the way there is a scientific explanation why this is and that is that while Omicrom replicates faster and easier in the nose and throat, making spread easier, it seems to replicate less easily or efficiently in the lungs than other variants, which would explain less severe (lung) illness and ultimately death. So hopefully this continues to stand up.

If this really is the case, then we are all going to get it, just like we all get a cold. And most, will be fine, exception being unvaccinated with medical issues. And THAT is a choice they made.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
December 21st, 2021 at 12:58:56 PM permalink
It'd be a shame if 25% of NYC had Omicron in 3 weeks and it turned out to have a 2% fatality rate on the unvaccinated, 0.02% fatality rate on the 2 dose vaccinated, and 0.0002% on those with boosters.
Things are going to shut down because people are out sick.
kewlj
kewlj
Thanked by
Dieter
December 21st, 2021 at 1:06:21 PM permalink

Waiting in a one mile line for a virus check is very odd. Seeing as how we are filling stadiums for football no reason cannot fill one for Metallica assuming they are touring.

You and I seem to have very different attitudes about this virus. Maybe you have avoided contracting covid and haven't gotten sick. Maybe no one you know has gotten sick or if they have it has been mild. I hope this is the case. And it would explain why some people don't take this very seriously.

I have gotten covid twice. Only got real sick once though....thanks to the vaccines. A number of people in my building all got covid at the same time that my brother and I did. One guy passed away. My mother got covid was in the hospital and on a ventilator for a week. So I know covid isn't a joke, it isn't just a cold. I hope you never have to find out as some, even public figures with your attitude have discovered on their deathbed.

We are ALL tired of dealing with this freaking virus. that doesn't mean you let your guard down. I will continue to do and make decisions that give me the best chance to stay alive and hopefully get back to a time that resembles what we once had.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 21st, 2021 at 1:24:11 PM permalink

You and I seem to have very different attitudes about this virus. Maybe you have avoided contracting covid and haven't gotten sick. Maybe no one you know has gotten sick or if they have it has been mild. I hope this is the case. And it would explain why some people don't take this very seriously.

I have gotten covid twice. Only got real sick once though....thanks to the vaccines. A number of people in my building all got covid at the same time that my brother and I did. One guy passed away. My mother got covid was in the hospital and on a ventilator for a week. So I know covid isn't a joke, it isn't just a cold. I hope you never have to find out as some, even public figures with your attitude have discovered on their deathbed.

We are ALL tired of dealing with this freaking virus. that doesn't mean you let your guard down. I will continue to do and make decisions that give me the best chance to stay alive and hopefully get back to a time that resembles what we once had.
link to original post

We do have different attitudes. I probably had a mild case before it hit the news. Kept coughing and when we first locked down I had fatigue very bad, maybe worst in my life. Haven't known anyone who has gotten it bad. But also have not let the fear rule my life. Not waiting in mile-long testing lines on a maybe. Not spending my life wearing a mask. Not buying into that if I use the wrong door at the grocery store will cause me to catch the virus.

IOW, I am not buying the fear that is being sold. I do not want to go to the BJ table separated from other players by plexiglass. I am not going to say what a "great idea" this kind of stuff is even without the virus. I am over 50 and have heard many dire predictions in my life. And I see people get all afraid of them for no good reason. I act rational. Sitting in a mile long line to get tested is not rational.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 21st, 2021 at 1:42:46 PM permalink

Things are going to shut down because people are out sick.
link to original post

That's what we are seeing here. Fire officers, medics, delivery drivers, train crews. Some services are already getting depleted and disrupted. E.g
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59743461

But any second now, someone will say "That's only because some pussies are quarantining instead of just working through it"

Someone else might comment on how all these quarantines are destroying the economy.

Meanwhile, Our leaders, like yours, are saying "Go ahead with Christmas. Just be careful."
Germany, Portugal, UK, and a few other countries are introducing lockdown on 27th, mostly because it would just be WAYYYYY too unpopular to ban Christmas gatherings this late in the year.
Hopefully by Jan 1st, we will have better data. As KJ notes: It's looking a little more optimistic.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 21st, 2021 at 1:47:16 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

I really hope that China pays for their blunder.
link to original post

Warning for straying into politics: Rule 19
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 21st, 2021 at 1:47:56 PM permalink

a line from the movie "Cool Hand Luke"

𝙬𝙚'𝙧𝙚 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙤 𝙙𝙞𝙚 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙖 𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙤𝙛 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣

many of us, not all, would like to live as long as possible - as long as we're reasonably healthy and our minds still function well

after all, when you're dead you're going to be dead for billions of years - you will live only a few decades

why conduct yourself to risk making something that is so long - longer - and something that is so short - shorter_______?????

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 21st, 2021 at 2:02:50 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

a line from the movie "Cool Hand Luke"

𝙬𝙚'𝙧𝙚 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙤 𝙙𝙞𝙚 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙖 𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙤𝙛 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣

many of us, not all, would like to live as long as possible - as long as we're reasonably healthy and our minds still function well

after all, when you're dead you're going to be dead for billions of years - you will live only a few decades

why conduct yourself to risk making something that is so long - longer - and something that is so short - shorter_______?????

link to original post

It is about accepting that when it is your time it is your time.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
unJonrawtuffOnceDear
December 21st, 2021 at 2:05:53 PM permalink
Many people are waiting in line so they get a clean bill of health before getting on a plane and going to see their loved ones. They are doing it out of love, not fear. It's a shame you don't understand the difference. They don't want to be the one who turns a family get-together into a super spreader event.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 21st, 2021 at 2:16:59 PM permalink

Many people are waiting in line so they get a clean bill of health before getting on a plane and going to see their loved ones. They are doing it out of love, not fear. It's a shame you don't understand the difference. They don't want to be the one who turns a family get-together into a super spreader event.
link to original post

So I tested positive for Covid today. I’m vaccinated and boosted. I’m not worried about it. Symptoms very minor so far. But it ruined Christmas plans. I will no longer be going to see my parents. My kids won’t hang out with their cousins and grandparents. Lots of sadness and disappointment all around today.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 21st, 2021 at 2:28:08 PM permalink

link to original post

I see it as the same over reaction we have seen for 649 days now.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 21st, 2021 at 2:29:46 PM permalink

𝙬𝙚'𝙧𝙚 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙤 𝙙𝙞𝙚 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙖 𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙤𝙛 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 (bolded is quote from the movie "Cool Hand Luke" by lilredrooster

It is about accepting that when it is your time it is your time.

𝙙𝙤 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙜𝙤 𝙜𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙡𝙚 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙜𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩____𝙧𝙖𝙜𝙚 𝙧𝙖𝙜𝙚 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙮𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

Dylan Thomas

billryan
billryan
Thanked by
OnceDear
December 21st, 2021 at 3:00:58 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

So I tested positive for Covid today. I’m vaccinated and boosted. I’m not worried about it. Symptoms very minor so far. But it ruined Christmas plans. I will no longer be going to see my parents. My kids won’t hang out with their cousins and grandparents. Lots of sadness and disappointment all around today.
link to original post

For someone to think you are operating out of fear sickens me.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 21st, 2021 at 4:48:20 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Many people are waiting in line so they get a clean bill of health before getting on a plane and going to see their loved oneslink to original post

link to original post

Unlucky Matey. But you are a hero and I thank you for taking the trouble to get tested for all the right reasons. (Raises a beer in your honour)
You have the good fortune of adding yet more antibodies to your system so you will come out into 2022 as strongly defended as anyone can be. Yayyy.
Enjoy your small family Christmas. Maybe set up a zoom call on the TV and get together that way?

Just one thought..... This bugger spreads incredibly easy to those in your household. You may have got it from the wife or kids, or they may yet get it from you. All, please stay safe and get well soon.

OD

Remember folks. On average, roughly 1 in 30 of you are currently infected with covid.
10,626,720 current active cases in the US.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 21st, 2021 at 5:40:56 PM permalink

link to original post

We do have different attitudes. I probably had a mild case before it hit the news. Kept coughing and when we first locked down I had fatigue very bad, maybe worst in my life. Haven't known anyone who has gotten it bad. But also have not let the fear rule my life. Not waiting in mile-long testing lines on a maybe. Not spending my life wearing a mask. Not buying into that if I use the wrong door at the grocery store will cause me to catch the virus.

IOW, I am not buying the fear that is being sold. I do not want to go to the BJ table separated from other players by plexiglass. I am not going to say what a "great idea" this kind of stuff is even without the virus. I am over 50 and have heard many dire predictions in my life. And I see people get all afraid of them for no good reason. I act rational. Sitting in a mile long line to get tested is not rational.
link to original post

If you have so little fear, why not take the free vaccines and prove it because otherwise, you shouldn't claim to not let fear rule your decisions. Taking the vaccines should be nothing to such a fearless person.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
December 21st, 2021 at 7:48:13 PM permalink

Sitting in a mile long line to get tested is not rational.
link to original post

I tend to agree.
I did happen to see self-test kits for sale at a gas station yesterday; 2 tests for around $25.
I guess people are able to weigh the value of the information vs the cost of testing (time or money) along with their personal economics and make a decision.
May the cards fall in your favor.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 22nd, 2021 at 1:11:27 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

I tend to agree.
I did happen to see self-test kits for sale at a gas station yesterday; 2 tests for around $25.
I guess people are able to weigh the value of the information vs the cost of testing (time or money) along with their personal economics and make a decision.
link to original post

Isn't it a bit like when we had panic buying of pasta and toilet rolls? Folk going from zero situational awareness straight to OMG Blind panic last dash?
Rational, would be to have ordered tests weeks ago and reaching into the cupboard.,
Rational also to have got vaccinated ASAP, though with forethought the queues could be avoided.

But Unjon found his wait rational. He didn't say how long he queued.

$25 for 2 tests. I can see that being a big deterrent. Here, we have enough trouble getting people to use the free ones. We have boxes of seven Free. Next day delivery.
I'm pleased to see that you guys will get some free distribution. I bet that will seem SO weird and that squirrels and black marketeers will snaffle them up quickly.
billryan
billryan
December 22nd, 2021 at 1:46:56 AM permalink
We've had pharmacists killed, and others threatened for giving out the vaccines. How long before mail trucks are attacked to stop the distribution of tests?
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 22nd, 2021 at 1:56:15 AM permalink

We've had pharmacists killed, and others threatened for giving out the vaccines. How long before mail trucks are attacked to stop the distribution of tests?
link to original post

In this crazy world, somewhere, soon. There's probably someone contaminating the swabs with god knows what, even as we are typing. And even if there is not, someone will spread the scare story.

Quote: FAKE NEWS Anticipated

Don't use the test kits as they have HIV on the swabs
Bleach your swab before using deadly test kits.
Testing station gave ebola to everyone in a ten mile queue.
Test kits contain nano-bots which you shove into your brain.
***** I Made all those lies and non-quotes up without even trying. Someone, somewhere will do better and millions of idiots will believe.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 22nd, 2021 at 2:04:12 AM permalink

link to original post

I tend to agree.
link to original post

Isn't it a bit like when we had panic buying of pasta and toilet rolls? Folk going from zero situational awareness straight to OMG Blind panic last dash?
Rational, would be to have ordered tests weeks ago and reaching into the cupboard.,
Rational also to have got vaccinated ASAP, though with forethought the queues could be avoided.

But Unjon found his wait rational. He didn't say how long he queued.

$25 for 2 tests. I can see that being a big deterrent. Here, we have enough trouble getting people to use the free ones. We have boxes of seven Free. Next day delivery.
I'm pleased to see that you guys will get some free distribution. I bet that will seem SO weird and that squirrels and black marketeers will snaffle them up quickly.
link to original post

I can see the advantage.
If I try to get a free test, it's about a 1 week wait for a slot on the schedule, or a 240km (150mile) round trip to somewhere with an open testing slot today.
... or $10 for a single self administered test.

The fact that they're available at the convenience store for only a 25% vig (compared to the usual 50%+ vig those stores often charge) is pleasing to me.

Yes, I would like 7 tests a week for free.
I also recognize that you gotta make the marks pay, or they don't pay attention.

edit: appending
Quote: Stranger in a Strange Land

Oh, you have to charge 'em, Jubal. The marks won't pay attention if it's free.

OnceDear
OnceDear
December 22nd, 2021 at 2:46:55 AM permalink

The fact that they're available at the convenience store for only a 25% vig (compared to the usual 50%+ vig those stores often charge) is pleasing to me.

Yes, I would like 7 tests a week for free.
I also recognize that you gotta make the marks pay, or they don't pay attention.

edit: appending

Quote: Stranger in a Strange Land

Oh, you have to charge 'em, Jubal. The marks won't pay attention if it's free.

link to original post

I hadn't thought of it like that. Seeing boxes of them piled up, free and gratis at the University common areas, or on the counter at the pharmacy, I can imagine how they somehow look sad and valueless. Put a discounted yellow price sticker on them and some will think they are getting better than something for nothing.

I've seen an enterprising young fella selling them on the street corner for a fiver $:o) I should be exporting them!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 22nd, 2021 at 2:53:26 AM permalink

on the lighter side - yes, this is for real - lucky 4 you if you're a Vegas tourist or resident

edit - check this out - from the article:

" those who can show proof of being fully vaccinated and having received a booster will get a $200 gift card for all of GoBest's venues and dinner for two at one of its restaurants."

unfortunately, looks like for yesterday only

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3778378/las-vegas-strip-club-hosts-boobs-boosters-covid-vaccine/

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2021 at 3:17:17 AM permalink

Ah, now you are seeing my point even though it took another poster to bring out some reasons. Thanks there.

I remember when this started hitting. In my parts we get what we call "snow scare" rushes at the grocery store. Snowstorm predicted and they clean out the milk section plus a couple other things. When I worked in grocery if we had one I could spend half my time bringing out milk until the storeroom was empty. Then they hit other things, including back then the video rentals.

This time I saw some guy with many cases of water. As if we would not have water coming from the faucet. But this was the mother of "scares" as so much was picked clean. The meat department was empty, soups were gone, pasta, beans. Some of it made sense, some did not. As a prepper it was mostly nothing to me since I had and have enough food at home to last 2-3 weeks of even normal consumption. For just such an emergency as a wise rooster used to say. When you get into prep you learn to prep for what is logical. You do not prep for the Germans invading because the Germans are not going to invade. You do prep for a supply chain disruption, because they DO happen, the why doesn't matter.

But the population is not made of preppers. It is made of the guy I saw with a cart filled with water. The guy was just doing the human nature of DO SOMETHING! Matters not if it works the brain says DO SOMETHING!!

So lets get this post full circle so I can post the coin flip results. The mile-long wait for tests is people who need to DO SOMETHING! Statistically we have what, 70% vaxed? It is not a great stretch to say the people rushing to get tested are the most worried about getting it and thus are the most vaxed. If you are not vaxed by now you have your reasons and are not going to wait in a mile long line to get tested, if you are starting to get concerned you will just get vaxed and hope for the best.

That mile long wait is probably >95% vaxed. Yet they are still going to wait hours for a test. They feel they are DOING SOMETHING.

No matter the emergency there will be this group and a smaller, more rational group. I am in the smaller, more rational group. Strive to join my group.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2021 at 3:20:01 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If you have so little fear, why not take the free vaccines and prove it because otherwise, you shouldn't claim to not let fear rule your decisions. Taking the vaccines should be nothing to such a fearless person.
link to original post

Because I do not want to take a rushed out, quick tested shot. How many times do you need to read me say that?

Even though a person is not living in fear does not mean they do not calculate risk. You sound like some woman on FB who once told me if I do not want to wear a mask why not go lick handrails? I just told her that was weird.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 22nd, 2021 at 4:35:07 AM permalink

Ah, now you are seeing my point even though it took another poster to bring out some reasons. Thanks there....
As a prepper it was mostly nothing to me since I had and have enough food at home to last 2-3 weeks of even normal consumption....

But the population is not made of preppers....

I am in the smaller, more rational group. Strive to join my group.
link to original post

LOL. I'm a senior member of your group. Call yourself a prepper, with 3 weeks of supplies? Pah!

We have a venn diagram situation. $;o) People who don't agree on vaccines : Preppers : People who respect Covid : People who stick two fingers up at Covid. Pity EvenBob isn't here , we could have groups for buggers-in and buggers-out *

* not a profanity. 'bugger'=one who bugs

So Yes. I can agree with you that the mile long queues were irrational. I never needed to come around on that. But 'rational' is relative to where we are right now. It's not rational to run naked out of your house, screaming... unless you just woke up to it on fire. For someone who just realised that it's a good idea to have the whole family get tested before Christmas day, the likes of Unjon... It can be the least worst option.

Now. Driving a 150 mile round trip to get tested or vaccinated? I could never imagine doing that. Preppers probably never can.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 22nd, 2021 at 4:54:15 AM permalink

link to original post

Because I do not want to take a rushed out, quick tested shot. How many times do you need to read me say that?

Even though a person is not living in fear does not mean they do not calculate risk. You sound like some woman on FB who once told me if I do not want to wear a mask why not go lick handrails? I just told her that was weird.
link to original post

We can agree to differ on the estimation of risk and the cost - benefit analysis. I suggest your vaccine hesitancy is a bit extreme and worthy of re-analysing.
Your apparent reluctance to self test strikes me as most incomprehensible. Do you have no-one that you care to help to protect?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2021 at 5:17:11 AM permalink

Your apparent reluctance to self test strikes me as most incomprehensible. Do you have no-one that you care to help to protect?
link to original post

It is not about caring who you protect, it is about reason to test. I see no reason to get tested unless I was not feeling well or had been exposed to someone who might have had it. By "might have been": I do not mean I went to the grocery store. I mean being around someone who came down with it.
rxwine
rxwine
December 22nd, 2021 at 5:51:11 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Millions have taken the vaccine and millions have gotten covid. You can't make any rational claim about fear by comparison of the two. But I do like to hear you make the same dumb claim.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2021 at 5:55:16 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Millions have taken the vaccine and millions have gotten covid. You can't make any rational claim about fear by comparison of the two. But I do like to hear you make the same dumb claim.
link to original post

Good for them, Try to imagine how much I care. My body, my choice.

I like how it drives you nuts that some of us will not just fall in line.
rxwine
rxwine
December 22nd, 2021 at 6:07:10 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

If you want to punch yourself in the face, I might laugh, but that doesn't mean you should do that also. Trying to annoy me is just another lousy reason for doing what you do. If I tell someone the bridge is out ahead, and they ignore it because I rub them the wrong way, all they do is drive their car in the water. That'll show me.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2021 at 6:10:28 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

If you want to punch yourself in the face, I might laugh, but that doesn't mean you should do that also. Trying to annoy me is just another lousy reason for doing what you do. If I tell someone the bridge is out ahead, and they ignore it because I rub them the wrong way, all they do is drive their car in the water. That'll show me.
link to original post

I am not trying to annoy you. I am just giving my reasons for doing what I do. Your getting annoyed by it is the internet forum of co-generation.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 22nd, 2021 at 6:31:23 AM permalink

Now. Driving a 150 mile round trip to get tested or vaccinated? I could never imagine doing that. Preppers probably never can.
link to original post

Vaccinations were easy.
Just a 50 mile round trip, 2 months of ignored phone calls to schedule a timeslot, and then finally crashing the party.
billryan
billryan
December 22nd, 2021 at 7:12:06 AM permalink

link to original post

It is not about caring who you protect, it is about reason to test. I see no reason to get tested unless I was not feeling well or had been exposed to someone who might have had it. By "might have been": I do not mean I went to the grocery store. I mean being around someone who came down with it.
link to original post

I don't want this.... I see no reason..... I just want ..... I .... I .... I

How about you stop thinking in terms of I and start thinking in terms of we. It's funny how "We the People" suddenly becomes "I, the individual" when times get hard. Screw the Sunshine Patriots, we need some Winter Soldiers.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2021 at 7:52:47 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I don't want this.... I see no reason..... I just want ..... I .... I .... I

How about you stop thinking in terms of I and start thinking in terms of we. It's funny how "We the People" suddenly becomes "I, the individual" when times get hard. Screw the Sunshine Patriots, we need some Winter Soldiers.
link to original post

It is not "our" body, it is MINE.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
December 22nd, 2021 at 9:40:17 AM permalink
Latest from RSA

South Africa's noticeable drop in new COVID-19 cases may signal that the country's omicron-driven surge has passed its peak, medical experts say.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/south-africas-covid-19-case-drop-may-show-its-omicron-peak-has-passed
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
billryan
billryan
December 22nd, 2021 at 9:53:37 AM permalink
I don't put a lot of faith in daily statistics, but hopefully the weekly ones bear this out.
  • Jump to: