Thread Rating:

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 1st, 2018 at 4:11:15 PM permalink
Why doesn’t most of the US serve Tater tot hotdish? And people need to stop calling hotdish casserole.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
Thanked by
gamerfreak
November 1st, 2018 at 5:18:38 PM permalink
hmm very interesting reading. After discussion with my wife and mother in law here is a list that we put together. I thought all of these were nationally or close to nationally type of foods but my mother in law says some are not and some were invented here but have moved acrossed the country.

The aforementioned huggies
Cheesesteak hoagies
Chipped Ham
Fried Zucchini (is that true, no way that isnt everywhere)
Klondike
Pierogies
City chicken
Haluski
Funnel Cake
Stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage
Lady locks
Pretzels (a website said these come from PA, are they really not everywhere, looks like aunti annes is everywhere)
Wedding soup
Tasty Kake
snapper soup
Water Ice
sandwhiches with french fries on them (ala Primantis)
Kielbasa
having a cookie table at a wedding

speaking of cookies does everyone have pizzelles?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
November 1st, 2018 at 5:46:50 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Not any Cheesesteak
Pats Steaks
You forgot Pretzels
I went to Drexel

Pats/Geno’s = Tourist Garbage

Soft Pretzels were a philly thing for a long time then Auntie Anne’s started popping up everywhere.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
gamerfreak
November 1st, 2018 at 5:49:41 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Pats/Geno’s = Tourist Garbage

Soft Pretzels were a philly thing for a long time then Auntie Anne’s started popping up everywhere.

I just read the history of auntie annes. Interesting that she started in a farmers market and eventually sold the company in 2010 for 375 million.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 1st, 2018 at 6:13:51 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I just read the history of auntie annes. Interesting that she started in a farmers market and eventually sold the company in 2010 for 375 million.

I’m not a huge fan, too sweet and buttery.

Philly Pretzel Factory is good

If you like hard pretzels, Martin’s pretzels that you can get in PA are world class
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 1st, 2018 at 6:21:19 PM permalink

hmm very interesting reading. After discussion with my wife and mother in law here is a list that we put together. I thought all of these were nationally or close to nationally type of foods but my mother in law says some are not and some were invented here but have moved acrossed the country.

Cheesesteak hoagies
Chipped Ham
Klondike
Pierogies
City chicken
Haluski
Funnel Cake
Lady locks
Pretzels (a website said these come from PA, are they really not everywhere, looks like aunti annes is everywhere)
Wedding soup
Tasty Kake
snapper soup
Water Ice
Kielbasa

You’re in NY right?

Ive had all of that except for chipped ham, city chicken, lady locks, and Primantis.

Wedding soup and Pizzelles are Italian things. I think most Italian Americans are concentrated in NJ and NY.

I don’t see snapper soup as much as I did growing up. I guess eating turtles is not PC anymore.

ALSO... Apple Butter, A-TREAT Soda, Saltwater Taffy, Pickeled Eggs, Irish Potato Candies, Oyster Crackers, Lebanon Bologna, Birch Beer, and WHO CAN FORGET Spiced Wafers
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
November 1st, 2018 at 6:53:07 PM permalink
I like red cabbage cole slaw, not many have ever had it, even though red cabbage is in every grocery store every time. Cabbage, onions, garlic, oil and vinegar, that simple.
I am a robot.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
November 1st, 2018 at 7:05:20 PM permalink

Cheesesteak hoagies
Chipped Ham
Klondike
Pierogies
City chicken
Haluski
Funnel Cake
Lady locks
Wedding soup
Tasty Kake
snapper soup
Water Ice
Kielbasa

They have city chicken and a lot of that other Pollock (I can say it) stuff in Detroit too.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
gamerfreak
November 1st, 2018 at 7:49:22 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

What’s Chipped ham? We have creamed chipped beef.

I’m from Philadelphia area. There are several things I can only assume are regional because my midwestern/southern friends have never heard or can’t get:

- The obvious, Cheesesteaks/Hoagies
- Tastykakes
- Water Ice
- Pork Roll (aka Taylor Ham)
- Peanut Chews
- Herr’s potato chips
- Stromboli
- Porchetta
- Snapper Soup
- Scrapple
- Whoopie Pie
- Tomato Pie
- Funnel Cake

I’m convinced none of those things exist.

Btw, don’t go talking s*** on Reese’s pieces. Those things are some of the best candy. Objectively, the best candy is Almond Joy.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
November 1st, 2018 at 7:56:41 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

They have city chicken and a lot of that other Pollock (I can say it) stuff in Detroit too.

Do you swim and stink or the other, which doesn't understand the reference?
I am a robot.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 1st, 2018 at 8:13:17 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I’m convinced none of those things exist.

I grew up with all this stuff and had no idea it was all regional until I started traveling and talking to friends who live elsewhere.

I get that Whoopie Pie sounds made up, but you really can’t order a Stromboli from the local pizza shop?

Btw, don’t go talking s*** on Reese’s pieces. Those things are some of the best candy. Objectively, the best candy is Almond Joy.

I’m a fat POS who can’t even keep candy in the house because I’ll funnel it like a frat boy with a beer bong, but there’s been reece’s pieces in my pantry for a year that I haven’t touched. If there was a chocolate component they might be ok, but they taste NOTHING like Reece’s cups.
RS
RS
November 1st, 2018 at 9:57:03 PM permalink
TBH I don’t really know what a Stromboli is, but I’ve definitely heard the term used. Now that you mention you may be able to buy one at a pizza restaurant, I’m imagining a calzone. Is that accurate?

Edit: Not really an edit because I’m just continuing on from where I was writing and haven’t submitted the post yet, but I just googled this weird sounding fellow; and it’s basically just a hot pocket. Idk about out there in Canada or whatever part of Philadelphia you’re in, but on this side of the pond, we buy those at the grocery store like VONS RALPHS SMITHS or ALBERTSONS.

Lol do you eat taco John too? <crying because laughing so hard emoji>

Do you ask how spicy the ketchup is before putting it on your food?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RS
November 1st, 2018 at 10:31:54 PM permalink
Tasty cakes. Horrific.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Nov 1, 2018
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 2nd, 2018 at 5:42:44 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Not any Cheesesteak
Pats Steaks

I prefer Geno's as they are greasier.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
November 2nd, 2018 at 6:00:09 AM permalink

TBH I don’t really know what a Stromboli is, but I’ve definitely heard the term used. Now that you mention you may be able to buy one at a pizza restaurant, I’m imagining a calzone. Is that accurate?

RS, if you decide to try a Stromboli go to "Four Kegs" in Las Vegas as they are known for their Stromboli. Almost any pizza place in Las Vegas also has Stromboli.

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
November 2nd, 2018 at 6:48:06 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I prefer Geno's as they are greasier.

Pats Steaks
When Celtic John Havlicek retired and did his farewell tour
The Spectrum had a pregame ceremony center court for Havlecek
As a parting gift, they gave him a take out from Pats's Steaks :-)
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
November 7th, 2018 at 2:10:57 PM permalink
Another story of a book not honoring a bet though this one is shadier.

Nonito doniare is very well known in boxing. A future hall of famer. But past his prime. His father in law bet him as a big dog in his last fight at bet Fred, a UK book.

Nonito scored the upset. According to the FIL the book refused to pay, citing various illegitimate reasons. Though this is just his fb post.

It's fairly common for fighters or their people to bet on them.

Sounds like they were just trying to weasel and stall until they left the country.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1857480687683888&id=100002659252863
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
November 7th, 2018 at 2:21:55 PM permalink
Seems like confirmation....

https://mobile.twitter.com/Betfred/status/1060231718530179072

They finally agreed to pay.

I've been hearing a lot lately about how sleazy UK and European books are. I wasn't aware of it. There is a Twitter account that just pumps out seemingly legit stories on people getting screwed or having to go to great lengths to be paid.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BoycottBetfred

The reason it has come up, is that broader legalization here might open the door for these firms, and others that use their tactics.

I wonder if any overseas posters have insight.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 7th, 2018 at 3:46:49 PM permalink
Just like every pizza place also sells "pizza" in Vegas. Unless one has actually had real pizza.
That's a horrible looking Stromboli.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
November 7th, 2018 at 8:14:36 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Just like every pizza place also sells "pizza" in Vegas. Unless one has actually had real pizza.
That's a horrible looking Stromboli.

I don't understand this at all. Who cares how a Stromboli looks as long as it tastes great.
billryan
billryan
November 7th, 2018 at 8:40:30 PM permalink
No stromboli I've ever had had anywhere near the grease on that sandwich. It doesn't appeal to me at all, but stromboli is way down the list of things I order at an Italian place. I think the last one I had was from Omaha Steaks.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
RS
November 8th, 2018 at 9:53:56 AM permalink
Meaning it was frozen and then sent to you in the mail?

I think I'll go with the one DRich posted, though I also rarely have stromboli.

I think I had one at the pizza place by the CVS near hard rock. Some place in that general area, anyway. It was really good, but I was down for the day. It was like eating a whole pizza. I think this could be why stromboli is less popular. Also, you need to sit there and eat it with a knife and fork.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
lildevilLucyRogerKint
November 8th, 2018 at 9:59:03 AM permalink
Stromboli from Omaha Steaks + Ribeye from $1 Store = Problems
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2018 at 10:07:35 AM permalink

I think I had one at the pizza place by the CVS near hard rock. Some place in that general area, anyway. It was really good, but I was down for the day. It was like eating a whole pizza. I think this could be why stromboli is less popular. Also, you need to sit there and eat it with a knife and fork.

A good stromboli is more of a sandwich, and doesn't require a knife and fork. Nor should pizza.
It's a shame that you guys evidently have never had Omaha Steaks. Maybe someday.
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2018 at 10:09:59 AM permalink

Joe's New York Pizza makes a great pizza. Probably the place you are talking about.
Stromboli in Vegas seem to be mostly made of pizza dough, where back east they use bread. Here they are much more calzone like.
They also include ingredients traditionally not included, like grilled chicken.
Stromboli isn't an Italian food, it originated in Pennsylvania and hit NY about a decade later in the mid 60s, where they evolved into something known as hippy rolls, or eppie rolls. I assume that was a corruption of stromboli.
Last edited by: billryan on Nov 8, 2018
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
Thanked by
RogerKintMaxPenAxelWolf
November 8th, 2018 at 10:22:51 AM permalink

A good stromboli is more of a sandwich, and doesn't require a knife and fork. Nor should pizza.
It's a shame that you guys evidently have never had Omaha Steaks. Maybe someday.

Are you familiar with "meat glue"

Using pig plasma to glue meat back together.

It also greatly increases your chances of getting "mad cow".
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
November 8th, 2018 at 10:52:50 AM permalink

Joe's New York Pizza makes a great pizza. Probably the place you are talking about.
Stromboli in Vegas seem to be mostly made of pizza dough, where back east they use bread.

Yep, as I remember it, they used pizza dough or something close to it.
MaxPen
MaxPen
November 8th, 2018 at 10:53:16 AM permalink
The thing I really find humorous about Omaha Steak's is there lack of claim to USDA Prime, Choice, or even Select. They just claim it is USDA inspected. Well, duhhhhhh, all meat is "inspected".
DRich
DRich
November 8th, 2018 at 11:08:36 AM permalink

Yep, as I remember it, they used pizza dough or something close to it.

Every stromboli I have had was made with pizza dough just like the calzone.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
November 8th, 2018 at 12:30:04 PM permalink
I ordered some Scottevest jackets and hoodies, they gave me a 30% discount to share with friends, the tv code discount I had was only 20%. I hope I like the things and all the hidden pockets, think it's what I've been needing. http://fbuy.me/kVTkQ
I am a robot.
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2018 at 12:58:53 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Every stromboli I have had was made with pizza dough just like the calzone.

Evidently, it's a regional difference.

I had one on my minions look it up during what would have been his ten minute lunchbreak. The Pennsylvania original Stromboli was made with bread. but the Washington St. guy who seemingly came up with a similar idea used pizza dough. The recipes have spread out since then with most East Coast places using bread and the western places using pizza dough.
MaxPen
MaxPen
November 8th, 2018 at 1:09:44 PM permalink

Evidently, it's a regional difference.

I had one on my minions look it up during what would have been his ten minute lunchbreak.

Do you treat everyone helping you with such great respect?
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2018 at 1:21:54 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Do you treat everyone helping you with such great respect?

Hell no. Most get no lunch break. I offer people a hand up, not a handout. I generally buy my guys lunch but its eaten quickly, at the worksite.
MaxPen
MaxPen
November 8th, 2018 at 1:39:58 PM permalink

Hell no. Most get no lunch break. I offer people a hand up, not a handout. I generally buy my guys lunch but its eaten quickly, at the worksite.

I'm sure you will go far. Good Luck

P.S.- Don't forget to pay all payroll taxes and report all profits. Those eligible for healthcare subsidies and what not need all the revenue they can get. After all, they are entitled to a piece of your pie.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
tringlomane
November 8th, 2018 at 2:26:53 PM permalink
Wow. What would I do without you? Its amazing how I managed to stay in business from 1983 until I was lucky enough to meet you. To think all this time that I relied on lawyers and accountants. Guys who knew what they were talking about when I could have had you.
I do know if I ever want lifestyle advice, you are the guy to go to. Anyone who wears cargo shorts to a wedding is certainly a person I would want to take advice from.
GWAE
GWAE
November 8th, 2018 at 2:33:15 PM permalink
All the strombolies that I have ever eaten were pizza dough folded in half. I think if it is anything else then it isnt considered a stromboli
GWAE
GWAE
November 8th, 2018 at 2:39:09 PM permalink
Ugg fml, this time of year is rough

AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
Thanked by
petroglyph
November 8th, 2018 at 2:46:38 PM permalink

Why is that, does your county run out of soda pop?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
MaxPen
MaxPen
November 8th, 2018 at 2:48:46 PM permalink

Wow. What would I do without you? Its amazing how I managed to stay in business from 1983 until I was lucky enough to meet you. To think all this time that I relied on lawyers and accountants. Guys who knew what they were talking about when I could have had you.
I do know if I ever want lifestyle advice, you are the guy to go to. Anyone who wears cargo shorts to a wedding is certainly a person I would want to take advice from.

Cargo shorts have been known to grant the wearer of such to private elevator rides and access to private dining rooms. ;-)
Didn't know a guy who sports Wal-Marni and Thrifshopucci designs had such a concern for fashion. ;-)
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
November 8th, 2018 at 3:00:26 PM permalink
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
MaxPen
MaxPen
November 8th, 2018 at 5:29:28 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

What's the fun in that?😁
RS
RS
Thanked by
RogerKintMaxPen
November 8th, 2018 at 5:45:33 PM permalink

...Anyone who wears cargo shorts to a wedding...

Okay that was legitimately funny.
GWAE
GWAE
November 8th, 2018 at 5:46:21 PM permalink

NO those stupid yellow and green things end up all over my yard for the next 3 weeks. Spent 3 hours yesterday raking them and today I get home from work and it looks like I havent touched my yard yet. 2 years ago I decided to wait until they all fell and I have piles about 8 feet tall.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
Thanked by
RS
November 8th, 2018 at 5:51:22 PM permalink
Wait, Maxpen wore shorts to a wedding? That's awesome! If he paired it with a tuxedo t-shirt he deserves mod status asap.
100% risk of ruin
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Thanked by
tringlomanepetroglyph
November 8th, 2018 at 10:59:26 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Wait, Maxpen wore shorts to a wedding? That's awesome! If he paired it with a tuxedo t-shirt he deserves mod status asap.

It's ok, his wife beater only had a few stains on it.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
November 8th, 2018 at 11:07:55 PM permalink

NO those stupid yellow and green things end up all over my yard for the next 3 weeks. Spent 3 hours yesterday raking them and today I get home from work and it looks like I havent touched my yard yet. 2 years ago I decided to wait until they all fell and I have piles about 8 feet tall.

Don't you have slaves, I mean kids to do that stuff for you? Let's play a game called rake the yard, kids.

I have a big ass tree over the courtyard and it fills it up with leaves. Its a pain in the ass. since its walled and fenced in. A leave blower doesn't work that great. Can't really rake it or it will mess up my plants.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 9th, 2018 at 12:36:02 AM permalink

Don't you have slaves, I mean kids to do that stuff for you? Let's play a game called rake the yard, kids.

I have a big ass tree over the courtyard and it fills it up with leaves. Its a pain in the ass. since its walled and fenced in. A leave blower doesn't work that great. Can't really rake it or it will mess up my plants.

Maybe buy a good snow thrower off of some retiree coming from up north. Should be able to blow them over the wall onto the neighbors place.
billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2018 at 10:15:21 AM permalink
Gallon of gas and a book of matches and your tree/ leaf problem is solved for the next 15-20 years.
Kick it down the road.
GWAE
GWAE
November 9th, 2018 at 10:48:34 AM permalink

Serious question, does vegas has trees with leaves? Thought most of them were palm type without leaves. The trees with leaves, do the leaves fall off during fall? Or do they just fall off after a certain "life cycle" of a leaf?
DRich
DRich
November 9th, 2018 at 12:30:17 PM permalink

Serious question, does vegas has trees with leaves? Thought most of them were palm type without leaves. The trees with leaves, do the leaves fall off during fall? Or do they just fall off after a certain "life cycle" of a leaf?

Very few naturally occurring trees with leaves in Las Vegas. Some planted in master planned communities but not many.

I have 22 palm trees, 3 pine trees, and an olive tree. No leafy trees.
  • Jump to: