Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 28th, 2018 at 10:42:03 AM permalink
I don't know how many people here do any long trips driving, but here's my question.

Anyone use a gps, that you program the fastest route, put in assorted restaurants you may want to stop at so they pop up on display as you near them, keeps live track of traffic and assorted obstructions, keeps track and alerts of weather conditions, alerts of special events going on like fairs/ parades/ sporting events, local activities etc, judges whether driving toll road is optimal at time of arrival, notice of nearby gambling opportunities. notifies of local sites of ill repute?

etc., etc., etc.,
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 28th, 2018 at 10:52:59 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I don't know how many people here do any long trips driving, but here's my question.

Anyone use a gps, that you program the fastest route, put in assorted restaurants you may want to stop at so they pop up on display as you near them, keeps live track of traffic and assorted obstructions, keeps track and alerts of weather conditions, alerts of special events going on like fairs/ parades/ sporting events, local activities etc, judges whether driving toll road is optimal at time of arrival, notice of nearby gambling opportunities. notifies of local sites of ill repute?

etc., etc., etc.,

Waze does some of these things on your list. Not the restaurant, gambling or brothel things.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
ForagerRogerKint
October 28th, 2018 at 11:01:29 AM permalink
They should not manufacturer yoga pants over a certain size. It’s just unsettling, drawstring sweatpants for most.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
October 28th, 2018 at 12:09:19 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Yesterday a Kiosk spit out a ticket for me. I had earned a BOGO pizza of up to $20 in value at the fancy pizza place.

I figured a BOGO pizza must be the chef's specialty and they were trying to promote it. I wondered what came on a BOGO pizza. I decided a free BOGO pizza was something worth breaking my diet for.

I pieced it together about 24 hours later.

So did you get your free bogo pizza?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rxwine
rxwine
October 28th, 2018 at 12:37:33 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

They should not manufacturer yoga pants over a certain size. It’s just unsettling, drawstring sweatpants for most.

Perhaps, but you'd probably just get way too tight pants and more unexpected butt crack.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
October 28th, 2018 at 5:10:59 PM permalink

Yesterday a Kiosk spit out a ticket for me. I had earned a BOGO pizza of up to $20 in value at the fancy pizza place.

I figured a BOGO pizza must be the chef's specialty and they were trying to promote it. I wondered what came on a BOGO pizza. I decided a free BOGO pizza was something worth breaking my diet for.

I am a robot.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 28th, 2018 at 5:35:23 PM permalink
There are several sites that are Interstate Strip sites. They show you the interstate and point of interest within ten miles of it. You can select types of interest though I doubt brothels are offered.
They also show congestion points in semi delayed time.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 28th, 2018 at 6:02:58 PM permalink
Motorcycles. Loud af. On the road. It’s 2018. What the hell?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 28th, 2018 at 6:16:12 PM permalink

Motorcycles. Loud af. On the road. It’s 2018. What the hell?

Unless they're forced to kill their pipes, most motorcyclists keep them as loud as possible. It helps drivers notice them.

Living in Daytona for 15 years, it was a big topic from both sides, and the subject of some legislation. But it was a rare year when they didn't kill a dozen or more during Bike Week, and it was usually the motorist not seeing them.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
gamerfreak
October 28th, 2018 at 6:29:21 PM permalink
Every accident involving a motorcycle should be 100% the motorcycler’s fault.

They’re always breaking the law. Way too loud. Always speeding and running red lights. It’s impossible to see them.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
October 28th, 2018 at 6:29:29 PM permalink
That's going to be a big issue with electric bikes going forward. They aren't noisy enough.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
RS
RS
Thanked by
petroglyph
October 28th, 2018 at 6:31:01 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

That's going to be a big issue with electric bikes going forward. They aren't noisy enough.

The quieter the better. Need fewer of them on the road.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
RS
October 28th, 2018 at 6:31:54 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Unless they're forced to kill their pipes, most motorcyclists keep them as loud as possible. It helps drivers notice them.

Living in Daytona for 15 years, it was a big topic from both sides, and the subject of some legislation. But it was a rare year when they didn't kill a dozen or more during Bike Week, and it was usually the motorist not seeing them.

Unfortunately the loud part is third in my priority of objections there, right after a) the existence of motorcycles b) their presence on most public roads in 2018. Why are we still subjected to them? I suppose it’s like telling someone that pit bulls aren’t the best breed choice or the lottery sucks. that South Park episode about the bikers was funny.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
petroglyph
October 28th, 2018 at 6:37:50 PM permalink
Quote: RS

They’re always breaking the law. Way too loud. Always speeding and running red lights. It’s impossible to see them.

Lol. Know who’s worse? Bicyclists (most) simply do not believe that stop signs apply to them. And then they just expect not to get run over like what the hell man I’m driving this killing machine and I was at the 4 way first brah....Only time they stop is to take a vape hit;)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 28th, 2018 at 6:46:03 PM permalink

Unfortunately the loud part is third in my priority of objections there, right after a) the existence of motorcycles b) their presence on most public roads in 2018. Why are we still subjected to them? I suppose it’s like telling someone that pit bulls aren’t the best breed choice or the lottery sucks. that South Park episode about the bikers was funny.

Yeah, I hate motorcycles. AKA Donorcycles among medical friends, since so many people die from head injuries they end up as organ donors.

3 quick stories.

1. At my Daytona house, busy 2 lane leading to the subdivision. Had to make a left turn to enter, usually oncoming traffic. Narrow, no shoulders, deep ditches. Very busy afternoon, waited for a gap with people backing up, finally got a tight one, turned fast just as a moron illegally passed everyone behind me and was coming up fast behind me. Never occurred to me to check my side mirror. He swerved around me as I jammed the brakes, laid it down, picked it up with his leg shredded, and just got back to our side of the highway in front of oncoming traffic. I lost about 3 years off my life. Jerk.

2. Woman cyclist who spearheaded Florida no-helmet law was coming to Daytona first day new law was in effect. Killed enroute from head injuries after motorist hit her. Darwin wins again.

3. Bruce Rossmiller (sp) was the largest Harley dealer in the world, had the Daytona franchise, rich and locally famous. Killed on his way to Sturgis when an RV didn't see him and wiped him out. Irony on an iron horse.

I have a lot of friends who ride. Doesn't keep me from hating bikes.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
October 28th, 2018 at 6:59:43 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Are you saying that Harley's are safer than say Honda's or electric bikes because they are louder?

That to me is crazy.

The logic of making people wear seat belts, while motorcylcists ride around without helmets escapes me.

I must live in Mecca for old gray headed bikers sporting Harley's? I can't believe how many there are around here, and every one of them has to roar their pipes. I think they are over compensating.

I never considered making bikers sign an organ donor card, for the privilege of riding the dam things round the hood. Fun to watch an old fat guy try to stand one back up.

There are many around here for sale with few miles on them. Hangar queens.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
mcallister3200
October 28th, 2018 at 7:02:48 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I agree just because if you ride a motorcycle, you have a death wish. Each motorcycle should come with a collector's box, than is also a casket, so you have that covered when you die.
I am a robot.
rxwine
rxwine
October 28th, 2018 at 8:12:04 PM permalink
Anyone complaining about motorcycles is welcome to the nanny state clubhouse if they're not already in it.

(and no weasel words excuses from those who normally complain about nanny statism on other matters)
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 28th, 2018 at 8:36:22 PM permalink
Hey I don’t really care if people want to drive their motorcycles around their house or in their yards or out among the sand and cactuses and stuff so long as the HOA allows it, they’re just an annoyance and hazard on public properties and such, and with many respectable municipalities having blight ordinances and such I would think that would cover those things nowadays.
RS
RS
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
October 28th, 2018 at 8:37:08 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Anyone complaining about motorcycles is welcome to the nanny state clubhouse if they're not already in it.

(and no weasel words excuses from those who normally complain about nanny statism on other matters)

Oh, I absolutely think motorcycles should be legal. And I fully support them becoming electric or whatever to make them really quiet. Because, ya know, the whole survival of the fittest thing. Best case scenario is if riding with a helmet were to be outlawed. That'd really speed up the process.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
October 28th, 2018 at 8:43:51 PM permalink

Hey I don’t really care if people want to drive their motorcycles around their house or in their yards or out among the sand and cactuses and stuff so long as the HOA allows it, they’re just an annoyance and hazard on public properties and such, and with many respectable municipalities having blight ordinances and such I would think that would cover those things nowadays.

I'm not with you here either. One thing about motorcycles that is great if you don't respect your brain and life, great on gas mileage. Motorcycles are banned in China's big cities, but it's because of pollution. I think motorcycles could be safe, not that it's the fault of the motorcycles necessarily, and unfortunately, being safe depends on not riding them when traffic is strong. I'm not an expert, but I would just ride it at night, etc., on the highways. I have heard stories where even a pebble can cause motorcycles to lose control on turns, so not really sure.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-motorcycles-banned-in-China
I am a robot.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 28th, 2018 at 9:41:35 PM permalink
Things I don,t understand - why do hotel housekeeping workers tuck the top sheet and the comforter tightly under the top mattress? Who would want to sleep all wrapped up like a mummy like that?
Please don't feed the trolls
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
odiousgambit
October 28th, 2018 at 11:26:36 PM permalink
Drives me crazy that motorcyclist whine about people hitting them but then you see someone on a crouch rocket weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed, or running it between lanes during rush hour, or popping a wheely on a highway.

Same goes with pedal bikes. They complain that they are vehicles and deserve the road the same as a car yet they will take up a lane on a 35mph road but only go 20. If you did that in a car you would get a ticket. Or they will not obey any of the laws of the road such as turn signals, stop signs, stop lights.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
October 29th, 2018 at 4:54:17 AM permalink

that South Park episode about the bikers was funny.

They really nailed that one. "Hey everyone for 4 blocks around. You cannot have a conversation now! You must pay attention to me! I am extremely sexually inadequate!"

The fake biker thing that's so hot with old dudes is weird too.

"I'm in a motorcycle gang with my podiatrist and the local State Farm agent. We're total badasses!"

However, apart from the noise, it's probably better for people other than you to drive them. Less pollution, less traffic, more parking.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
October 29th, 2018 at 8:51:15 AM permalink
I hate that bicyclists ride on the street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk that's empty for miles in either direction just 4 feet to their right.

I know it's the "law" or whatever, but that law needs to change because it's super-dangerous.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
October 29th, 2018 at 11:41:04 AM permalink
laws never change for the better only the worse.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
October 29th, 2018 at 11:59:37 AM permalink

Aw man. At a BOGO for pizza, I wouldn't care if it was Little Caesars Pizza! BOGO is BOGO! ;)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
TigerWuRigondeaux
October 29th, 2018 at 12:05:25 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Is anyone here NOT retired and using bond and/or dividend investments for passive income to supplement their income from a regular job? (Specifically not real estate; only market/treasury investments)

If so what are you invested in? How is it working out for you?

I buy lots of bonds of varying quality, varying maturity dates, probably now averaging 3-4%.
I buy lots of dividend paying stocks, varying quality, varying market caps, varying industries, probably averaging 2-3% a year.
Just recently started with a guy (Madoff?) doing private equity investments paying 6-9%. So far so good.....

Time will tell.....

My favorite 'stock'.... "O" (Realty Income)
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 29th, 2018 at 2:51:48 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I buy lots of bonds of varying quality, varying maturity dates, probably now averaging 3-4%.
I buy lots of dividend paying stocks, varying quality, varying market caps, varying industries, probably averaging 2-3% a year.
Just recently started with a guy (Madoff?) doing private equity investments paying 6-9%. So far so good.....

Time will tell.....

My favorite 'stock'.... "O" (Realty Income)

Do you have any municipal bond funds?
billryan
billryan 
October 29th, 2018 at 3:12:35 PM permalink
I have a few Municipal bonds. My money guy suggested I buy them. Couple thousand worth of NY bonds and some for a city, maybe Dallas. They don't move so I don't pay much attention to them. They pay regular interest.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
Joemanbeachbumbabs
October 29th, 2018 at 4:23:31 PM permalink
All mine's in metals, mostly Al, Fe, and Mg. Tons of interest in the summer, kinda falls right off in the cold, though. Got over 1,000c.i. of them now! Hope to one day have all 1k under one account. That might be enough to consider myself finally "set".

The rest is in Pb. Emergency fund.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nathan
Nathan
October 29th, 2018 at 6:17:20 PM permalink
I own stock in Walgreen's. :) Hey, why not invest in the company I work for? ;)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
October 29th, 2018 at 6:25:49 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Every investment person will tell you that’s a bad idea unless you get a discount on the stock price.
Nathan
Nathan
October 29th, 2018 at 6:32:31 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Every investment person will tell you that’s a bad idea unless you get a discount on the stock price.

I put in $45 a share. That seems reasonable to me. :)
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 30th, 2018 at 5:27:58 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Really? I can see not wanting to have all/most of your money invested in the company you work for, or not blindly investing in the company just because you work there. But if it's a solid company with revenue or growth potential, why not put, say, 10% of your investment monies in it? As an employee, you have insight that others don't. You can see how the company runs its business, or at least how your little corner is run.

Just look at a company's board of directors. They work for that company and they own tons of stock in it!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 30th, 2018 at 5:29:31 AM permalink
Quote: Face

LOL!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
October 30th, 2018 at 6:58:32 AM permalink
I've always found bail bonds to be lousy investments
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Thanked by
OnceDear
October 30th, 2018 at 7:13:47 AM permalink

All mine's in metals, mostly Al, Fe, and Mg. Tons of interest in the summer, kinda falls right off in the cold, though. Got over 1,000c.i. of them now! Hope to one day have all 1k under one account. That might be enough to consider myself finally "set".

Don't get it. Are you referring to your cars and boats engines when you refer to cubic inches or to ingots.

Pb is lead. You talkin' bullets?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
October 30th, 2018 at 9:01:54 AM permalink

Do you have any municipal bond funds?

No. I do own a few municipal bonds and have done very well with them. I have 'triple tax exempt' ones for NYS which I bought at the right time, but in total maybe 2% of my total portfolio. I don't like and have never bought a bond fund.

As far as Nathan owning Walgreens, I'd agree with whoever said a small percentage of your overall holdings can be in it, but it should not approach 10%, unless you are getting it at a discount. I believe that diversification is the key to success for low information investors (which I believe 99% of the population is, me included).

As far as Nathan's comment on $45 being a good price, well, that is likely a typical Nathan comment. Unless you know how many shares are out there, how much revenue is, what future expectations for revenue is, what the dividend is, what the average PE ratio is for other similar companies in the industry is, what affects the political climate will have on the company, etc,,,, saying any price is a 'good price' is just plain not worth the cost of the intertron electrons which brought it to this forum.

Edit.... I just checked Walgreens stock price. It hasn't been under $60 for the last 5 years. So if Nathan was able to get it at $45 at any time during this period it was a good price, and to me would make it reasonable to exceed any predetermined percentage of her net worth.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
October 30th, 2018 at 9:15:25 AM permalink

Generally a bad Idea. When I worked, I had most of my money invested in shares in that company (got them discounted) had my salary from that company (obviously) and had my pension fund dependent on that company. If they had collapsed, I would have been screwed on so many levels.
Fortunately I diversified at every opportunity and was very lucky with the timing of my resignation and disinvestment.
Having so much of your world invested in one business is damned risky, even if it's a blue chip company.

Perhaps the only thing riskier is if they also provide your home.

That said... Exploit share option schemes to the max.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
October 30th, 2018 at 9:18:53 AM permalink

I put in $45 a share. That seems reasonable to me. :)

Pretty meaningless. $1000 of shares at 10c each is worth the same as $1000 at $500 per share.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan 
October 30th, 2018 at 9:54:55 AM permalink
I suspect he means he puts in $45 per pay period. It's not horrible to put 5-10% of your salary into your employers stock. Especially if it is discounted.
OnceDear
OnceDear
October 30th, 2018 at 10:00:23 AM permalink

$45 a share.

If the shares are discounted, usually with some restrictions, then fill your boots*. But diversify when you can.

*English expression?
... And remember, Nathan is 'she' not 'he'
Face
Administrator
Face
October 30th, 2018 at 12:41:36 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Don't get it. Are you referring to your cars and boats engines when you refer to cubic inches or to ingots.

Pb is lead. You talkin' bullets?

Yes to all except ingots. No smelter at the shop, I got a lead guy.

Just trying to hang out. I don't get investing at all, i think I'm too risk adverse, and downright averse when it comes to the idea of my money just going *poof* without being able to punch the man responsible. Hence dumping all my money into cars and guns. I am quite a bit ahead on the latter (thanks, Obama!), but the former has surely made my entire life a net loss lol

My current financial plan is 401k'ing the max matchable, dumping a bit into TSP (fed), and smoking two packs a day, then just wait 10,155 more days to see if it all worked out.

Prolly will.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 30th, 2018 at 12:51:43 PM permalink

Just trying to hang out. I don't get investing at all, i think I'm too risk adverse, and downright averse when it comes to the idea of my money just going *poof* without being able to punch the man responsible. Hence dumping all my money into cars and guns. I am quite a bit ahead on the latter (thanks, Obama!), but the former has surely made my entire life a net loss lol

My current financial plan is 401k'ing the max matchable, dumping a bit into TSP (fed), and smoking two packs a day, then just wait 10,155 more days to see if it all worked out.

Prolly will.

If you're risk averse what is your 401k invested in?
GWAE
GWAE
October 30th, 2018 at 12:52:31 PM permalink

Prolly will.

My plan is to spend every penny I have, have no savings, and die when I am 60. So far I am on track.
rxwine
rxwine
October 30th, 2018 at 12:58:41 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

My plan is to spend every penny I have, have no savings, and die when I am 60. So far I am on track.

See if you're rethinking that at 59.

Now if someone wants to offer you 100k for your soul, sounds like a good idea to me to sell.
billryan
billryan 
October 30th, 2018 at 1:21:31 PM permalink
At least two people here claim to be able to live in Vegas for under $1,000 a month so who needs a retirement plan.
Face
Administrator
Face
October 30th, 2018 at 1:48:35 PM permalink

If you're risk averse what is your 401k invested in?

No Earthly idea. To be quite honest in a shocking display of ignorance, I'm only sorta sure it's even churning. I vaguely remember slogging thru a website to increase the amount that went in, and that's the entirety of my knowledge about 401k or anything to do with what I got. Oh, and I got about $2k in "retirement", but I couldn't tell you how or where or is or what it's doing. I just know it's on my check.
rxwine
rxwine
October 30th, 2018 at 1:59:01 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

At least two people here claim to be able to live in Vegas for under $1,000 a month so who needs a retirement plan.

Looks to be possible without sleeping on carboard. Not much extra cash after food, utilities though, or much of a life. Not without another source of income. Beg. Collect cans. Sell plasma. Wear a wig and give head to old men for $20.
  • Jump to: