billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 165
March 15th, 2020 at 3:17:19 PM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

One of the best and easiest ways to track the spread is with the John Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center's Interactive Map. The only problem with it is the resolution of locations. For the U.S. it's at the state level. If I recall correctly, you're in NY State. The map will show (at the moment) 729 total case for the state. But NY is big so that doesn't necessarily reassure you it's not in your neighbourhood. To go deeper you need the underlying dataset. I didn't see a link for it on the JHU site but there is one available from Kaggle, a web-site for folks who are in to data mining and AI/ML). The 'Novel Corona Virus 2019 Dataset' is being updated daily. You can download the entire file or view it via Google Docs. Keep in mind this isn't an "official" data set but something being maintained by a Kaggle contributor so it doesn't have all 162k cases.

As of 17 hours ago (i.e., time of last update) the bulk of the NY cases are apparently in Westchester or LI. I saw one in Albany, one in Monroe Co (i.e., Rochester) and one in Rockland County. The caveat however is that a high percentage of the cases simple say "New York" without any added detail.

Hope this helps. Ultimately, your best bet is your county health dept. Mine just reported this AM a local family that has confirmed cases.

EDIT: after posting this I looked around for a better data set and found the Harvard Dataverse site which has a "US COVID-19 Daily Cases with Basemap". I haven't had a chance to look at the data yet but it says it has county-level data.

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 226
March 15th, 2020 at 3:17:57 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

where I live they've closed the public schools and libraries until March 27

what do they think is going to happen on March 27?

a miracle?

2 weeks incubation period is close to over
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 153
Thanks for this post from:
MoscaBTLWI
March 15th, 2020 at 3:22:54 PM permalink
and as to the idea that the virus can't survive when the weather gets warmer

well, the virus is rocking and rolling in Singapore

today, Singapore hit 86 degrees Fahrenheit
"but I don't care too much for money..........money can't buy me love".............. the Beatles
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 15th, 2020 at 3:41:13 PM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

One of the best and easiest ways to track the spread is with the John Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center's Interactive Map. The only problem with it is the resolution of locations.

Thanks for the effort.

The resolution is the same problem I had searching myself. Everything's broad strokes with the highest detail being county. I was looking more township level, admittedly as a way to cope and nothing more. The rational part of my mind has been saying it's here since the first confirmation in Westchester last week.

I thank you for the other sources, too
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
March 15th, 2020 at 4:21:17 PM permalink
Fed funds rate is now zero. That means free money. They could go negative but that is unlikely,

SURREAL!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
March 15th, 2020 at 4:37:15 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Fed funds rate is now zero. That means free money. They could go negative but that is unlikely,

SURREAL!

Might as well have a bank run
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
March 15th, 2020 at 5:31:13 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Any word on where in our county it's been confirmed? Not that it matters because I assume that everyone has been exposed, but... ya know... lie to me. TIA.

One in Clarence. One in City of Buffalo. One on Grand Island. But frankly, that information is irrelevant. Two of them had recently traveled to known hot spots. One they haven't a clue. 3 positive tests yesterday. I'll bet 50 by the end of the week. Every local municipality will have some soon. I wish I was a dictator. I would not let my wife go to work tomorrow.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 15th, 2020 at 5:38:22 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

One in Clarence. One in City of Buffalo. One on Grand Island. But frankly, that information is irrelevant. Two of them had recently traveled to known hot spots. One they haven't a clue. 3 positive tests yesterday. I'll bet 50 by the end of the week. Every local municipality will have some soon. I wish I was a dictator. I would not let my wife go to work tomorrow.

You think dictator's wives listen to them?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 153
March 16th, 2020 at 3:20:36 AM permalink
if the rates go to zero the Fed takes the tool out of their toolkit

cutting rates has historically boosted the markets and spurred investment

but I really doubt cutting the rate from zero to minus .25% is going to thrill anybody

several European countries and Japan already have negative interest rates
"but I don't care too much for money..........money can't buy me love".............. the Beatles
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 16th, 2020 at 3:43:16 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

if the rates go to zero the Fed takes the tool out of their toolkit

cutting rates has historically boosted the markets and spurred investment

but I really doubt cutting the rate from zero to minus .25% is going to thrill anybody

several European countries and Japan already have negative interest rates

But it is about funding things. Assuming Jamie Dimon is recovered he walks to the Fed window and borrowed $500 billion, He walks down the street and buys T-Bills, and other government instruments. Same as in 2008-9.

• Jump to: