EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
March 14th, 2020 at 3:49:09 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Lots of weird little things. Monday awaits.

Sunday awaits. Sunday for decades
has been the busiest grocery shopping
day of the week. Imagine the number
of people going tomorrow with their
list. Uh oh.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
March 14th, 2020 at 3:54:32 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Sunday awaits. Sunday for decades
has been the busiest grocery shopping
day of the week. Imagine the number
of people going tomorrow with their
list. Uh oh.

Monday will be an empty. Most stores get a delivery tonight but Sunday night was always when you "pulled the backstock" and filled the shelves. Then you ordered Monday morning. So on Monday the warehouse workers will be breaking their backs to refill. For the most part a distribution center will go a few days before it is picked clean. No supply disruptions have happened yet so if that stays the case this should stabilize but warehouse workers will be macking the OT hard.

Local major grocer just announced all stores close at 10PM until further notice.

I am seriously just hoping my office does not close. Too much work and I do not want to do it from home for the most part. I could have worked 8AM-midnight tonight and not got caught up enough. When rates go down after this all ends I have no idea how we will keep up. A good thing but sooner or later you need some good rest.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1332
March 14th, 2020 at 5:20:28 PM permalink
Quote: Everything Counts by Depeche Mode

The grabbing hands
Grab all they can
All for themselves after all

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 124
March 14th, 2020 at 7:06:28 PM permalink
Trip Report - In Progress

Just went out and filled up all the vehicles with gas. Went back to the grocery store and there was no waiting, no lines. No bottled water. I bought just a few things that caught my eye since there was no wait. Of course, no rubbing alcohol anywhere, no hand sanitizer. But, I was driving home through a crummy part of town and took a flyer at a small neighborhood liquor store. Heck, there were no gang members standing around in front, so why not. And guess what I found. Three bottles of rubbing alcohol, tucked away on a shelf. So I bought what was probably the only rubbing alcohol for miles. I'll make my own hand sanitizer.

I found some empty spray bottles at a dollar store. That surprised me. None in the regular stores.

Got another bright idea when I got home. I usually carry a wad of cash with me in my pants pocket, basically for video poker purposes. Of course, the cash is the nastiest germ-infested thing you can touch. So I took the wad, mostly benjamins, and tossed them in the washing machine. Detergent, a little bleach, it's spinning as I type. We'll see how that turns out. Hopefully ok, then I'll throw them in the dryer.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 18
March 14th, 2020 at 7:25:54 PM permalink
I am from Canada and winter in Arizona. I just got an email from my health insurance provider that I have 10 days to get back to Canada because my health insurance will not cover me after the 10 days. This was done because the Canadian government issued a travel ban outside of Canada. I will also lose out on my money deposited for the condo I am renting. I was paid up to the end of April.

Also I have no food at home as we cleaned everything out before leaving for Arizona. Hoarding has also taken place in Canada so I am not sure if I will have much luck buying groceries. We are not happy campers right now.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
bobbartop
bobbartop
March 14th, 2020 at 8:12:47 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

I am from Canada and winter in Arizona. I just got an email from my health insurance provider that I have 10 days to get back to Canada because my health insurance will not cover me after the 10 days. This was done because the Canadian government issued a travel ban outside of Canada. I will also lose out on my money deposited for the condo I am renting. I was paid up to the end of April.

Also I have no food at home as we cleaned everything out before leaving for Arizona. Hoarding has also taken place in Canada so I am not sure if I will have much luck buying groceries. We are not happy campers right now.

Gosh, that sucks. Kiss the rent money goodbye, that's the least of your worries. Do you have friends, family, back home that can/would share food? Stay healthy, and consider yourself lucky.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
March 14th, 2020 at 8:30:32 PM permalink
I went to the local Publix at 8:30pm to find out they are closing at 8 for the foreseeable future. So, instead of going home I decided to hit the nearest Walmart. Pretty crowded. Fortunately they were prepared for a big crowd. I could tell, because there were still 20 registers BUT ONLY 2 OPEN. Just like always.

I went to through the self help. At least I discovered a sort of AP like move while waiting. I turned all my packages so the scan symbol was face up if possible. And then when the conveyer belt brought me right by the scanner, I grabbed the portable gun and went bleep, bleep, bleep, bleep rapidly scanning all of them. Probably can't get more than 12-15 like that, since the gun has a cord. I didn't have anything to weigh though.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 65
Thanks for this post from:
rawtuffodiousgambitTumblingBones
March 14th, 2020 at 8:38:41 PM permalink
I was at the grocery store last night and based on the pasta section, it appears that people would rather die than survive on whole wheat spaghetti!
bobbartop
bobbartop
March 14th, 2020 at 8:54:45 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

I was at the grocery store last night and based on the pasta section, it appears that people would rather die than survive on whole wheat spaghetti!

I don't know where I saw this recently, probably somewhere on Twitter. All the bottled water in a store was sold out, except there was still a pallet of Coca-Cola's Dasani brand bottled water. I know I don't drink it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
March 14th, 2020 at 9:02:02 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

the cash is the nastiest germ-infested thing you can touch. So I took the wad, mostly benjamins, and tossed them in the washing machine.

Just dilute the alcohol 50%
with water and rub down all
bills with a cotton ball. Way
better germ killer than washing
them.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: