bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 122
March 14th, 2020 at 9:46:49 AM permalink
I knew market opened at 7 a.m. Figured I'd pick up a few things. Didn't get out of the house until 8 a.m. THAT was a mistake. Seems everyone else had the same idea.

Question to myself. It was crowded today, Saturday morning, shelves going empty as I stood in line. What is it going to look like on Monday?

I didn't see much beer in people's shopping carts, all essentials, food, beans, paper towels, bottled water. In fact, as I finally approached the check-out, I saw a woman take the LAST bottled water. Maybe they have more in the back. Maybe they don't.

Never mind Monday, what is it going to look like tonight?
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
March 14th, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM permalink
People are effing stupid.

Food production and supply lines are currently minimally affected, if at all. The shelves will be completely re-stocked with the next shipment. I bet these grocery stores and food companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I've heard people say they're generating way more revenue than they do even during Christmas and Thanksgiving.

What's going to happen a few weeks or a month from now, when all these hoarders are still stocked with food, and don't need to go to the store? Prices will come down 'cause fewer people are buying, and I'll be cleaning up on sales. Thanks, suckers!
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 122
March 14th, 2020 at 10:24:17 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Food production and supply lines are currently minimally affected, if at all. The shelves will be completely re-stocked with the next shipment. I bet these grocery stores and food companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I've heard people say they're generating way more revenue than they do even during Christmas and Thanksgiving.

What's going to happen a few weeks or a month from now, when all these hoarders are still stocked with food, and don't need to go to the store? Prices will come down 'cause fewer people are buying, and I'll be cleaning up on sales. Thanks, suckers!

What's with the toilet paper? Why is everyone buying tons of toilet paper? How much can one use?
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
March 14th, 2020 at 10:33:50 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

What's with the toilet paper? Why is everyone buying tons of toilet paper? How much can one use?

Because "everyone else" is buying toilet paper. That's literally the only reason. It's a self-perpetuating cycle. FOMO, because people are stupid.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 165
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
March 14th, 2020 at 10:34:56 AM permalink

Thinking back about forty years, my entire family had a flu that lasted about 48 hours. Luckily, we had three bathrooms as everyone had horrible diarrhea the whole time. We probably used a months worth of to in that short time. I'm a single guy who had 12 rolls at my shop and a half dozen at home. I thought about picking up another dozen rolls, for trading purposes but thought it was unpatriotic.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
March 14th, 2020 at 10:57:21 AM permalink

Agreed. Herd instinct. See some reporter talking about possible disruptions and suddenly there is a horde of shelf-sweepers. The old NY yarn was a guy who had a stiff neck was waiting to cross the street and soon a crowd gathers and everyone is looking up to see something.

I have oodles of "stuff" to eat. In three tiers. No need to buy anything until I get to the dregs of tier three. I never really NEED to buy a specific item. FRESH asparagus is nice but I have it in pills to. Coffee? I got individual bags, two pound cans, five pound cans and some espresso. I often go without any though. Tea? Got two or three teas, if the whim strikes. It rarely does.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
March 14th, 2020 at 11:06:05 AM permalink

It's the women. If you've ever lived
with a woman, you soon find out
that running out of their fave TP
is a nightmare they do not want
to face. Men don't care, we'll use
an old newspaper or a paper towel.
My wife always has 2 dozen rolls
of HER BRAND on hand so she can
sleep at night. Has anybody ever
seen a man freak out over TP?
It's not something we give a great
deal of thought to.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 165
March 14th, 2020 at 11:10:36 AM permalink
With all the uncertainty and anxiety the next few weeks will bring, if knowing one has an abundance of toilet paper helps relieve some of it, so be it. People are funny and react to situations differently. My Mother, if she was still with us, would react to this by cleaning the house. That was her refuge. When I called her on the morning of September 11th to see if she needed anything, she asked me to pick up some mop and glo.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 423
March 14th, 2020 at 11:17:48 AM permalink

Because "everyone else" is buying toilet paper. That's literally the only reason.

That's hardly the reason at all. Two
of my wife's sisters discovered on
Thursday they each had one roll
of Charmin UltraSoft left and they
went out of their minds. Ever use
that stuff. It's like your wiping with
a cloud. Women have other areas
that are super sensitive that we don't
have. They finally found a Target that
had 10 packs left and they bought
them all.

My wife uses Charmin and she told
me a few years if I was going to do 'that'
at her house I had to bring my own
TP. Hers is way too expensive for
a mere man to waste. What's going
to interesting is you just know there
are millions of people who forgot
and will find none this weekend.
Uh Oh.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
March 14th, 2020 at 11:19:27 AM permalink
Huh. I signed up for online shopping and chose “curbside pickup”. I placed my order and I’m going to pick it up between 5 and 6 PM. The only thing out of stock was hand sanitizer, but I am getting a 3-pack of Clorox wipes. Other than that, just the usual stuff: milk, tomatoes, cheese, some canned soup, a frozen quiche, etc. Nothing crazy, no excessive amounts of anything.

Mostly i didn’t want to walk around the store with all the crowds. I hope it works out.
NO KILL I

• Jump to: